• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Ocean 5 info - New characters revealed + more

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
http://gematsu.com/2015/11/star-ocean-5-introduces-new-characters-emerson-anne

xwPK97Q.jpg

Emerson (left, voiced by Junichi Suwabe) has a scary face, but a frank personality, and loves alcohol and women. In battle, he fires at enemies from a distance with his high-powered bow gun.

Anne (right, voiced by Ayumi Fujimura) is a woman who travels with Emerson. She’s intelligent and composed. She fights using an abundance of variegated melee techniques and makes a joke of the enemy. She also loves cats.

In addition to Emerson and Anne, Famitsu also has details on the “Role” battle system element. The “Role” system establishes duties for each character. It is broadly split into two categories, attack and defense, and features an ability boosting effect called “Factor.” Each person can have up to four roles, and the actions of characters you’re not controlling will change based on their role.

Roles include:

Attacker – Prioritizes number of moves and focuses on proactively attacking. ATK +4.
Caster – Prioritizes number of moves and focuses on proactively using skill attacks. INT +4.
Bazaar – Aggressively attacks enemies that chip away at you.
Fighter – Throws away defense to fight mainly with attacks.
There are also special techniques that provide Bursts to attack, defense, recovery, support, and abilities. As you use your roles, they level up and their Factors become more effective.

The magazine also reveals that first-print copies of the game will include a product code that lets you change the background music to something from Valkyrie Profile.

raven777

The magazine also reveals that first-print copies of the game will include a product code that lets you change the background music to something from Valkyrie Profile.

Guess I need to buy the first-print copy.

I'm really liking the look of this game so far. Can't wait for it! That Valkyrie Profile tidbit is pretty awesome, too.

I guess Emerson is the stock "crusty old dude who's really 30 years old" that most JRPGs tend to have.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sounds like a standard JRPG party alright.
A far better rendition of standard than the game that came before it, though.

Ahhh, with the Star Ocean 2 port/remaster and this game coming, it's a good time to be a Star Ocean fan. Definitely gonna get the First Print Limited Edition.

Golnei

I mistook the hand on Emerson's hip as an exposed midriff. From a colour blocking perspective, that'd improve the overall outfit a fair bit...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Not that I'm complaining, but wouldn't a battle theme from Star Ocean 1 or 2 make more sense than one from VP? Seems kind of random.

Wilsongt

Guy on the left looks good, and I'm not offended by girl on the right. She is giving me Sora/Haseo teas from .hack.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Edge fucking Maverick!!
God as much as I'm looking forward to this I really hope Squeenix learned their lesson

Well, AFAIK:

- Star Ocean 4 was thrown under the bus by your very Yoshiharu Gotanda (president of tri-Ace) and acknowledges it was bad
- SO5 will be more like SO3
- The issue with SO4 is that it tried to appeal to the West and the game was heavily outsourced = a mess
- They want to make SO5 more similar to the older SOs

I got faith for this, yo.

This looks fantastic. The battle system looked really fun from the previous videos.

So a February Japan release would mean like a August US release?

Illucio

Banned
Not that I'm complaining, but wouldn't a battle theme from Star Ocean 1 or 2 make more sense than one from VP? Seems kind of random.

I agree. I'm surprised that they chose to go with something else in general.

Well, AFAIK:

- Star Ocean 4 was thrown under the bus by your very Yoshiharu Gotanda (president of tri-Ace) and acknowledges it was bad
- SO5 will be more like SO3
- The issue with SO4 is that it tried to appeal to the West and the game was heavily outsourced = a mess
- They want to make SO5 more similar to the older SOs

I got faith for this, yo.

SO MUCH HYPE NOW. Star Ocean Til The End of Time was amazing. I remember quitting the game after failing the first end game dungeon and traded the game in at Gamestop soon after because I wanted to move on to Dragon Quest 8 and FF12. I regret that decision so much. I hope the game gets a port/remaster soon.

So as someome who has never touched a Star Ocean game...

...pitch to me why I need to be excited.
Curious to see the answers.

ULTROS!

I agree. I'm surprised that they chose to go with something else in general.

Maybe they're secretly hinting Valkyrie Profile 3
yeah right we have exist archive already by them.

I mistook the hand on Emerson's hip as an exposed midriff. From a colour blocking perspective, that'd improve the overall outfit a fair bit...
I did the same thing. I also thought the bottom of his tunic was sheer for a split second.

At least we have an old(er) guy now, but we can't forget how much he loves women.

ULTROS!

goddamn this cracked me up, oh man

Fact: I bought a PS3 in 2008 for Star Ocean 4 (which was only for 360, not yet announced for PS3), Final Fantasy XIII (also on 360), and The Last Remnant (announced for PS3 and 360 but it never came out on PS3).

So as someome who has never touched a Star Ocean game...

...pitch to me why I need to be excited.
Curious to see the answers.

I've only played SO3 and 4 so a vet of the series can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this...

The general jist of Star Ocean is playing a party of advanced sci-fi folk usually visiting/trapped on more primative worlds. So you'll find yourself in fantasy worlds with magic and dragons and whatnot while you're playing with laser swords, blasters and whatnot. Think star trek but anime and mixed with fantasy :3
Combat is a huge draw for me as it's usually realtime action based and incredibly fluid but with enough depth to ensure you can't just button mash through it and it keeps you enjoying it all the way to the end.

I see a lot of hate for SO4 in here but to me it was pretty enjoyable. The main protagonist had a laughable name and the voices were painful but it's not like SO3 didn't have some hilariously bad voices, mainly the purple-haired attendant that nel commanded who sounded like she'd inhaled a party's worth of helium balloons :p
Combat was cool as always though and the battle board was an idea that I found fascinating as it meant the first couple of fights when I started the game up or took a critical hit would be played very differently than usual to collect the right kind of chips :3
I also feel that SO4 kind of did the whole 'friends on a ship' thing that Mass Effect 3 attempted not only much earlier but in some ways better. I always felt like the people on the ship were actually doing something when I'd walk into the main area and find out it's someone's birthday or whatever. Again, a number of the dialogues were fan-fic levels of awful but the system itself was pretty good as far as I'm concerned :eek:

Ricker

Fact: I bought a PS3 in 2008 for Star Ocean 4 (which was only for 360, not yet announced for PS3), Final Fantasy XIII (also on 360), and The Last Remnant (announced for PS3 and 360 but it never came out on PS3).

3 good games that I didnt regret playing...although Last Remnant was a slideshow at times on the 360 lol ;)

Looking forward to SO 5 as well,kay.

Go_Ly_Dow

Bring it!

Atlus, Square-Enix, Sony, XSEED and everyone else, please space out the release dates for all these amazing Japanese games!

Otherwise don't be surprised when we fail to buy them due to release clashes!

poncle

I need dis. Will import the JP version, but hearing about some plans for a localised release would be great.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Attacker – Prioritizes number of moves and focuses on proactively attacking. ATK +4.
Caster – Prioritizes number of moves and focuses on proactively using skill attacks. INT +4.
Bazaar – Aggressively attacks enemies that chip away at you.
Fighter – Throws away defense to fight mainly with attacks.

These all sound almost exactly the same. I don't even understand what Bazaar is describing.

Top Bottom