• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Road Rash and Burnout 5 in development?

Thomper

Gamefront says the latest PSM3 talks about a Burnout 5 and Road Rash being in development at EA. According to Gamefront, it says that they'll soon start testing the games and that both are in development for next-generation consoles. EA has confirmed nothing yet at this moment.

Burnout 5 isn't really a surprise though, and wasn't Road Rash rumoured for longer anyway? Anyway, still interested in seeing both of them, Burnout games are always cool.

M3wThr33

Banned
I just want the next Burnout to be less reliant on goddamn shortcuts.
Also, less loading. Follow the THPS model.

VALIS

There have been so many Road Rash rumors at this point that I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Road Rash could be great on Wii, steering with the nunchuck and melee with the Wiimote.

koam

shaft said:
Burnout 4 sucked so hard..

You suck at gaming tastes.

Burnout 4 was awesome, the only thing that sucked about it was the crash mode.

The games have gotten progressively better which is quite a feat since they were good to begin with,

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
VALIS said:
There have been so many Road Rash rumors at this point that I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen.

EA talked at length about Road Rash next gen at GDC......supposed to have state of the art AI in the game....

ToxicAdam

Even a cleaned up 32-bit Road Rash with 8 players on-line would be a great title. Too bad it will never happen.

It will probably be a new 3D engine, with buggy online play (or none at all). ****ing EA.

shaft said:
Burnout 4 sucked so hard..

How is it even possible to not like the Burnout series? I think the Gamespot review said it the best when they summed it up as "If you have a pulse, Burnout will appeal to you!" (or something along those lines). It blew every other arcade racer out of the water, and I have NEVER had more fun in multiplayer racing than we did with Burnout. The only thing I didn't like about Revenge was being able to knock the other cars around like pop cans. If they only had an option like Takedown where touching traffic was instant death, then it would be the undisputed king of multiplayer racing.

But even without that, it was still awesome ;)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
commish said:
Road Rash 3DO was one of my favorite games of the 1990's.

Yes, I have been wanting EA to do an update on RR and the Strike series for next gen.....I am so glad we are getting Road Rash :)

ram

koam said:

The games have gotten progressively better which is quite a feat since they were good to begin with,

100% agree! burnout revenge is the best burnout ou there.

X26

Banned
Burnout, while still aweosme, has been on the decline since 2. They need to bring back 2's boost system, take out all the stupid icons in crash mode, take out shortcuts, and have more varied track/environment designs.

SuperSonic1305 said:
There is a PS3 magazine already?

Yes - in the UK:

Delivering a first in the PlayStation market, PSM3 features TWO covermounted discs EVERY month. The new look DVD comes packed with all the latest PlayStation 3, PSP and PlayStation 2 video game trailers and footage with the PSM3 team’s unique voiceover commentary adding colour to game review videos. The second monthly disc comes packed with PSP game saves, tips for all the biggest games, a massive game review database, loads of wallpapers, and all the best PSP applications and audio files.

Kicking things off in style the relaunch issue of PSM3 comes covermounted with a completely free PSP charger/data cable. This incredible gift, worth £9.99, allows readers to charge their PSP from their computer or laptop via a simple USB connection, while also incorporating a mini-USB adaptor for data transfer. PSM3 remains at its competitive cover price of just £3.99.

It was previously known as PSM2. :)

Gorey

Mmmkay said:
Isn't it rumoured to be an MMO?
No, no, no, no...nnnnoooooo. Why won't this trend- the MMO-ification trend- die already. I already know the damn answer (World of Moneybags) but enough already.

EA, please get a next-gen Road Rash out the door already. Actually, would the original make a decent XBLA game? Or would it be too big for the filesize limits?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If they remove traffic checking from BO5 then it should turn out alright, if they keep it I will definitely pass.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd like to see Criterion work on a new Road Rash, actually. Burnout rocks, but we could use a break. Road Rash has been missing for a long time, however, and Criterion could probably create an awesome sequel.

The Faceless Master said:
i wish Burnout 5 was more like 2 and less like the shitty sequels...

The sequels weren't shitty. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

That said, I hope BO5 has a unique and dynamic soundtrack like BO2 did. I liked the little throwback audio track to BO2 in the main menu of BO4. More of that please.

dark10x

i wish Burnout 5 was more like 2 and less like the shitty sequels...
I hope that your wish doesn't come true. I found Burnout 2 to be a dull and lifeless game (the tracks were boring and the races weren't all that exciting). Burnout 3 and 4 absolutely DESTROY it, in my opinion. :D

I spent so many laps in Burnout 2 driving around the track by myself in first place. Not fun.

dark10x said:
I hope that your wish doesn't come true. I found Burnout 2 to be a dull and lifeless game (the tracks were boring and the races weren't all that exciting). Burnout 3 and 4 absolutely DESTROY it, in my opinion. :D

I spent so many laps in Burnout 2 driving around the track by myself in first place. Not fun.
i found 3 and 4 to be boring, lifeless and skillless, with the #1 thing in the game, the superior burnout comboing system, heartlessly ripped out...

the greatest feeling in burnout 2 was BLAZING around the track comboing burnouts and blowing away any and all opposition...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SuperSonic1305 said:
There is a PS3 magazine already?
two actually.

next3covercn4qb2.jpg

getassetaspxhj2.jpg

^couldnt find a bigger one sorry.

dark10x

i found 3 and 4 to be boring, lifeless and skillless, with the #1 thing in the game, the superior burnout comboing system, heartlessly ripped out...

the greatest feeling in burnout 2 was BLAZING around the track comboing burnouts and blowing away any and all opposition...
The Burnout combos WERE really cool, I admit, but everything else was much weaker. My main issue was track design and how incredibly dull I found the tracks in BO2 to be. BO4 offers track design miles beyond Burnout 2 along with a better sense of speed and better controls wity more weight on the vehicles. Mixing some of the mechanics of BO2 with the latest games would probably work very well.

Gigglepoo

Kleegamefan said:
EA talked at length about Road Rash next gen at GDC......supposed to have state of the art AI in the game....

Huh, seems that EA is knee deep in some fancy AI routines. With state of the art AI in RR and Army of Two we may actually see a leap in this department. I still can't imagine Halo 3 will have bots, though.

YES YES YES This is so true. I was pissed when that burnout system was taken out in favor of a new, easier boost system. The original Burnout boost system awarded out of control driving. I probably will have to give the BO3 the overall nod (I have not played Revenge) because everything was better, but the next installment should have a combination of both. I know it will never come back now though.

squicken

Ugh. I can't believe you BO 2 people. The reason that game was great was because of the crash mode. BO 3 did everything better, and is probably the best arcade racer since Mario Kart on the SNES.

LOCK

I can't wait for both of these games.

Burnout 3 is my favorite...though I haven't played much of 4.

squicken said:
Ugh. I can't believe you BO 2 people. The reason that game was great was because of the crash mode. BO 3 did everything better, and is probably the best arcade racer since Mario Kart on the SNES.
Hey, I just said "everything was better" in BO3. But I still wish they didn't get rid of the boost system. It was so much fun. It paid to drive on the ****ing edge.

PuertoRicanJuice said:
Hey, I just said "everything was better" in BO3. But I still wish they didn't get rid of the boost system. It was so much fun. It paid to drive on the ****ing edge.
Yeah, that was cool, i'm a bigger fan of BO3 and 4 than 2, but they're all good. I find that getting gold on the burning laps in BO3 and 4 recreates that driving on the edge feeling, it's really awesome when you're blasting full speed down the whole course dodging stuff, hitting shortcuts, knowing one mistake will screw you.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dark10x said:
My main issue was track design and how incredibly dull I found the tracks in BO2 to be. BO4 offers track design miles beyond Burnout 2...
I think the only problem with the BO2 tracks was mostly the relative sparseness of traffic.

squicken

PuertoRicanJuice said:

My quote wasn't directed at you. I just don't see how anyone can feel Burnout 2 is the better game overall.

qirex

squicken said:
My quote wasn't directed at you. I just don't see how anyone can feel Burnout 2 is the better game overall.
The crappy rubberband AI wasn't quite as cheap in BO2.

dark10x

qirex said:
The crappy rubberband AI wasn't quite as cheap in BO2.
I believe that rubberband AI is a GOOD thing in a game like Burnout as that adds a lot of excitement to the race. Getting ahead of everyone early on and spending the next two laps by yourself just isn't fun. I certainly had no trouble getting 100% in BO3 with the rubberband AI (the most difficult tests didn't even involve AI drivers).

koam said:

That's like half the game...

I thought Burnout 4 was pretty good. Not nearly as good as 3 though...they managed to completely ruin crash mode, it was way too easy, the new modes were meh and it was pretty damn buggy in the upper tiers.

Not a bad game by any stretch, but not the best in the series, either.

I'll use this thread to throw out the question...Is BO4 worth it if I absolutely love the series, but I've already 100% the first three? Is the multiplayer an upgrade over BO3?

Road Rash was great back in the day but I'm sure EA will mess it up by adding gunsand missiles or something ridiculous.

Top Bottom