• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Road Rash and Burnout 5 in development?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Superfrog said:
Road Rash + EA (2006) =

torque-home_image.jpg

They need to recreate the Chick Bike-Fu fight!

I believe it's more than many of us simply feel bitter toward Burnout 4. It was the big sign that the series had been EA-aified, so to speak. A slightly upgraded and retuned version of Burnout 3 released barely 1 single year after Burnout 3.

Which feels a bit bitter because BO 2 was an amazing and critically acclaimed arcade racer from a nice, small development studio that truthfully felt downright evolutionary. Then they got assimilated by EA. Which was fine for Burnout 3, since aside from EA Trax and all the lame in-game advertising, the game really showed a lot of extra polish and develoment budget that Criterion couldn't afford on their own.

Hopefully they realize that a new sequel every year will result in a pretty low blockbuster rate and decide to put a lot more time into BO 6, 7, etc rather than releasing them a year after we get BO5.

koam

Crash Breaker takedowns + Traffic attack boost points >>>>> Other burnout games.

I just wish the CB were there from the start

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I support RoadRash for the Wii--but would be more supportive if Rockstar could get the rights, or a company with proper attitude...not these schmucks who fill my racing games with false "street cred" lingo.

I'd better be able to run over grannies and take a bat with nails in it and swing at shit while flying down the highway at 160 mph. And no punk music (yes i love it). Only metal, the kind that makes me want to scratch my balls and hold up the devil sign.

And no, we don't need a spiked-bat peripheral to attach to our wiimote. Just gimme the ****in game and move out of my way, it's time to race.

squicken

PuertoRicanJuice said:
I'll use this thread to throw out the question...Is BO4 worth it if I absolutely love the series, but I've already 100% the first three? Is the multiplayer an upgrade over BO3?

Absolutely worth it, though I'd say that the MP isn't any better or worse. I think the PS2 and XBOX versions are $20 nowadays, so it's a bargain even if you just play SP.

X26

Banned
koam said:
Crash Breaker takedowns + Traffic attack boost points >>>>> Other burnout games.

I just wish the CB were there from the start

ugh, those elements were terrible and shouldn't have been in the game.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Odrion said:
They're probably try to modernize Road Rash and make it crap. :(

make it crap? ze goggles dey do nothing (except mask what was a pretty crappy game series)

X26

Banned
Anyone else rather see a game like GTA4 have road rash elements than an actual road rash game itself?

Odrion said:
They're probably try to modernize Road Rash and make it crap. :(

Road Rash 2007

Unleash the power of over 40 licensed motorcycles from today's top motorcycle manufacturers including Harley-Davidson and Yamaha! Wreck havoc on over 100 square miles of authentically mapped locales ranging from the Nevada desert to the Colorado Rockies! Wield dozens of your favorite weapons, from Louisville Slugger bats to Remington 870 Express Syn 12/28/3" Shotguns. Featuring a soundtrack from today's hottest artists including Ludacris, Gnarls Barkley, and Christina Millian.

....I'd rent it.

I pretty much hated everything they did to BO4. It all seemed like putting stuff in for the sake of putting stuff in because they've got to ship a game this year and bullet points on the back of the box. It was complication for the sake of complication not because it made the game any better.

They butchered Crash mode. The courses were too big, the destruction too spread out. You want to feel the effects your disruption not watch your car lying in a gutter while the crashing happens somewhere else. And what the hell was with the whole accelerating thing, they nicked from golf games? As I said complications for the sake of complications. The only decent addition there was the wind direction when you were in the air.

The races for the most part were okay, but once again most of the additions didn't add much, or even took away from the game. The whole 'Revenge' concept was appallingly implemented, when the camera cut away to your rival, it couldn't keep up in getting back to you racing fast enough. Just horrible.

For BO5 they need to strip almost everything out of Crash mode. Smaller crash junctions, focus on really intimate destruction (perhaps with next-gen the destruction could extend to the enviroments). Get rid of the pick ups, maybe keep the crashbreaker, but just one per attempt.

For the racing BO3 with BO2's boosting system would be ideal. Takedowns they should keep, the rest (like the rivals stuff and traffic checking) needs to go.

And the art needs to be the bold and beautiful style of the first 3 games, not the washed out look of BO4, which succeeded in making the course largely indistinct and personalityless.

I honestly couldn't believe, playing BO4, how a team that I'd previously thought of as talented and individual could have so spectacular balls upped their franchise in so short a time.

rubso

Banned
ROAD RUSH MOST WANTED
ROAD RUSH HOT PURSUIT
ROAD RUSH CARBOON
ROAD RUSH MACROTRANSACTIONS
Where is Wario64 when you need him ?!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dark10x said:
BO4 offers track design miles beyond Burnout 2...
And load times miles longer then all previous burnouts combined.
I kinda figured EA effect would show in the game (3 was still developed before acquisition) but I was hoping it wouldn't be 'that' bad.

MageLord

Fafalada said:
And load times miles longer then all previous burnouts combined.
I kinda figured EA effect would show in the game (3 was still developed before acquisition) but I was hoping it wouldn't be 'that' bad.

You're crazy. Burnout Revenge was incredible! By far the best (and fastest) racing game on the X360!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
if road rash is being developed by criterion, i have hopes for it. if not...it'd be mediocre hope.

Top Bottom