• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Black Ops III PC may have performance issues/bugs - Up: Patch now available

Seems like it may have some significant problems.

In the 30 minutes I spent with it I saw:

-Menu glitch where they are unusable and run at 1 fps - impossible to navigate

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/662509159795945472
https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/662517582742708224

-Graphical glitches

https://twitter.com/jeffmeier87/status/662511062575509504

-Hard lockups during gameplay

https://twitter.com/jeffmeier87/status/662512878939844608

-The game will randomly hang on a black screen for no reason. I waited over 2 minutes between the opening cutscene ending and the actual gameplay starting. This isn't a loading screen - it's just a black screen. I also saw this upon launch - the opening FMV with the company logos played, then black screen for 30-40 seconds, then the menu finally showed up

-Performance reports from the PC performance thread indicate that it runs like shit even on decent hardware

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1135493

Holy shit, I can barely even get through the menus. I keep getting... I don't know what to call them. Soft freezes, I guess?

It aso keeps switching back to windowed mode from fullscreen.

Yeah I'm running it medium settings and it barely breaks 30fps. I'm hoping this is just a temporary issue and that my PC can in fact handle Call of Duty.

Holy crap.... my CPU is at 100% load on the games menu with COD taking 70-80% of my CPU alone. I can't even get through the menu's, on a 4670k@4.7ghz

Yeah the performance is a bit worse than I would like but it seems fine for the most part.

Shadow maps on Extra + Dynamic shadows is a huge performance killer.

Textures on High will use more than 2GB of RAM and will cause random stuttering on GPUs that only have that much available.

I am sure there's more but this is what I've gathered in the hour since it's been unlocked. Sorry if this thread is premature but I don't want people spending money on something that may be quite broken.

Edit:

It's entirely possible there's a simple fix that a quick update can patch - or maybe these problems aren't too widespread and are isolated to specific hardware. I don't want to jump to conclusions and say with confidence that the game is broken. I'm just advising people to maybe take a wait and see approach with how this turns out

Update:

Apparently there's an ini fix for the menu bug that has worked for some people

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackops3/comments/3roias/fix_for_pc_fps_drops/

Justinh

Damn...
Py4mU7Q.jpg

I-hate-u

PC seems like an afterthought despite the big user base. Thw Arkham Knight ordeal should have been a big takeaway lesson for publishers. Guess not.

Hopefully it's not severe like AK's case.

Strider

doesn't Treyarch have a good track record with pc releases up to this point? Thought I always heard good things about the BO2 port at least....

So this comes as a little bit of a surprise to me. Hope it gets sorted quickly

doesn't Treyarch have a good track record with pc releases up to this point? Thought I always heard good things about the BO2 port at least....

It's entirely possible there's a simple fix that a quick update can patch - or maybe these problems aren't too widespread and are isolated to specific hardware. I don't want to jump to conclusions and say with confidence that the game is broken. I'm just advising people to maybe take a wait and see approach with how this turns out

Eusis

It's kind of surreal that when PC ports should seemingly be better than ever that we're getting some of the worst since the 90s ended. And when the hardware is closest to a PC too.

Just talking about this with a buddy. Thanks for the heads up. I was seriously thinking about picking up a CoD because of all the things I had read. That 2-player splitscreen across monitors is hilariously bad if true.

"To span 2 monitors you would be in windowed mode technically, so vsynch doesn't apply."
Like, you seriously just stretch across 2 screens and that's what they mean? Wowza.

COD does not have a huge user base on PC

Born and died on the same system. It really is a console game now it seems.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Bit premature thread it seems. Nothing as vast as batman PC port. Like others stated. Seems to be a known issue sure they are working on it

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
A lot of people are reporting decent performance on mid range and enthusiast level hardware, after turning a few settings off max. I guess we'll get more reports soon.

Justinh

From what I understood, Treyarch respected PC gamers more with their releases. I don't know first hand, since the last CoD game I bought on PC was CoD4.

OMG, I love your avatar...

MightyKAC

Damn, and I was just a few clicks away from pre-ordering this on the 33% off GMG sale last night. Procrastination FTW I guess....

Bit premature thread it seems. Nothing as vast as batman PC port. Like others stated. Seems to be a known issue sure they are working on it

Have they acknowledged it? I was going to nag GMG for a refund but if there's hope on the horizon I'll try and wait it out.

Falk

that puzzling face
But but but but mod and mapping tools D:

I guess I'll wait for things to get sorted out. Thanks for the heads up!

CoD3 had no PC version (lol)

World at War had a very competent PC version (not sure if we'd call the PC version a port at this point in history) that simply was overshadowed by the previous year's CoD4 PC going strong with a dedicated modding community.

Black Ops 1 PC port had a lot of PC-enthusiast features present that were nixed from IW's MW2 (losing dedicated servers for iwnet holy cow that was so awful), but the port itself was kind of questionable, with a lot of performance issues.

Black Ops 2 PC port was a rock solid port.

edit: Added pre-Blops history

Noooo. Hope this is just overblown for now. About to head to work while it installs. Was hoping to play it over the weekend.

zoobzone

Ugh.

I cancelled my PS4 preorder for the PC version after I heard mod/dedicated server support coming next year.

Should I get it on the PS4 again?

diamount

Banned
Outside the first mission, the game has been pretty smooth for me on the default settings for a 970 and a 4690k oc'ed to 4.7.

Demigod Mac

How do games get greenlit for release when they're in this kind of state?

Rife with bugs but still mostly-playable I can understand. Completely, utterly broken, though?

Ugh.

I cancelled my PS4 preorder for the PC version after I heard mod/dedicated server support coming next year.

Should I get it on the PS4 again?

The game just launched a couple hours ago - let's see what happens tomorrow and if Treyarch addresses the problems.

2 seconds per frame? So you have to wait a whole minute so that the 30 frames pass by and then it registers the movement?

I can confirm this. I can't recreate it though - sometimes it's good and other times it isn't.

Kriken

I'm on an Nvidia GTX 980 - not sure what Jeff/Dan from GB are using

Wait, you have a better graphics card than me and it still gave you problems? I tried the campaign after seeing what happened to you and it ran relatively smooth on my 770/i5.

Hopefully either this gets fixed soon or a mass refund a la Arkham Knight is implemented.

Wait, you have a better graphics card than me and it still gave you problems? I tried the campaign after seeing what happened to you and it ran relatively smooth on my 770/i5.

Hopefully either this gets fixed soon or a mass refund a la Arkham Knight is implemented.

Performance is fine for me, when I'm actually playing the game. Locked 60. It's everything else I mentioned that's making it pretty much unplayable on my system

Played it for about 2 hours just fine. Was seeing about 120FPS at 1920x1080 with a GTX970.

Of course I also 100%ed Arkham Knight just fine at release on PC, so maybe I just have a blessed golden PC of the ages.

Mexen

This thread will come up when there's another "Pre-order or not" or "PC version or Console version" thread.

Hope they fix it soon. Is this why GB gave it a low score, because it was unplayable? Lol

CryptiK

The fact that the Sensitivity is STILL locked to the framerate after they said they had it fixed is just infuriating

Massive lag during menus from startup

Alt+Enter to go into windowed mode, then alt+enter again to enter fullscreen mode fixes this.

Eusis

Another case that supports not pre-ordering games, especially PC games.
Unless you own a reasonably badass rig and came across a great deal (or you were THAT excited and don't mind weathering the blow) it really is crazy to preorder on PC. Though with Valve refunds I guess it's safer if you forego the crazy deals from some places.

Justinh

Hope they fix it soon. Is this why GB gave it a low score, because it was unplayable? Lol

I imagine they'll fix the problems soon. It is pretty early after release still and the menu issues sound like it's just be a bug or something.

From what I understand they used a PS4 version for review...

Falk

that puzzling face
Unless you own a reasonably badass rig and came across a great deal (or you were THAT excited and don't mind weathering the blow) it really is crazy to preorder on PC. Though with Valve refunds I guess it's safer if you forego the crazy deals from some places.

No joke, Valve refunds change everything, especially games with decent preorder campaigns (Free Symphonia with Zestiria preorder for example)

Top Bottom