• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Milestone game announced for DS - Tank Beat

Varuna

From the creators of Chaos Field and Radilgy comes Tank Beat, described as a "Quirky tank-centric action game for the DS" featuring a multitude of real tanks to pick from.

The game will feature a story mode from which missions are unlocked and can be replayed anytime; and will use the DS Wi-Fi feature for vs battles with other players near and far.

The game is scheduled for a November release in Japan.

The screens aren't great as they're probably from an early build:

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2006/07/29/104,1154112226,57779,0,0.html

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155422.html

mutsu

Hey you know, my friend/colleague just came around to talk to me about this game, and he seems REALLY interested in this game.

This is coming from a guy that has no interest in ANY DS games besides Super Robot Wars DS and Mario Kart DS.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It's interesting how the radar is on the touch screen. I guess touch screen controls will be for operating different weapons system then? Also, for some reason, the combat image in the second screen reminds me of Tiny Tank. Maybe it's just the cute, squishy blue tank in it. :p

Lapsed

Banned
If the gameplay is solid, this game could be really cool. This reminds me of those tank games of the late 1980s. Fun stuff!

Rorschach

White Man said:
It reminds me of that CTFy game with vehicles for the PS1. . .I think it was for another system, too.
Damn...what was the name of that game? I remember it too, but not the name...now this is gonna drive me insane all night.

White Man

Rorschach said:
Damn...what was the name of that game? I remember it too, but not the name...now this is gonna drive me insane all night.

It was for the 3D0 or the Jaguar or something. Argh. What was it?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Those graphics receive:

zombiewatts.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I`m a Milestone fan (CF FTW!), so I`ll keep an eye on this one. So far the art style seems uninspired and boring. Hopefully it looks better as it gets farther in development.

ethelred

TheTrin said:
I`m a Milestone fan (CF FTW!), so I`ll keep an eye on this one. So far the art style seems uninspired and boring. Hopefully it looks better as it gets farther in development.

It's coming out in three months! How much further in development can it get? :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ethelred said:
It's coming out in three months! How much further in development can it get? :lol

Pull a DNF! Put that shit back in the oven!

Emotions

ethelred said:

Could this game really be judged by 1 single screenshot without seeing more or even a video?
I think not.

thetrin

Emotions said:
Could this game really be judged by 1 single screenshot without seeing more or even a video?
I think not.

That just better be the worst screenshot in the entire game. Nothing about the art style seems particularly interesting. I just hope I`m wrong. I want Milestone to succeed!

Emotions

ethelred said:
Yes. Yes, I'm afraid it can.

I always thought the DS 3D games look bad in screenshots but they look surprisingly good in motion stuff like Nintendogs, AC, Mario Kart, FF3, M64 , etc , etc. Specially on DS lite <<<3

jesusraz

Varuna said:

Are there no other shots shown on Famitsu? Just those two? Looking at the latter one, the tank is about to turn into what could be the most beautifully rendered village ever seen on the DS...

...or not.

Who knows?!

Anyway, with any luck this will do enough to warrant a space shooter from them next.

Neo Child

Banned
I've got an interview with the publishers O3 Entertainment, so it would be great if some of you lot could provide questions for me to ask. Thanks.

Emotions

Huh, this thread is quite old, but the game has come a long way, and it's soon going to be released by O3 in America.

How does this work anyway? Do you use the stylus to control the tank? Would be cool if it used the microphone and have you shout orders into it. Well, that would probably get real old quick, especially if the voice recognition is like in Brain Training.

mj1108

Emotions said:
I think not.

This is GAF. We don't need screenshots or videos to judge games.

Neo Child said:
I've got an interview with the publishers O3 Entertainment, so it would be great if some of you lot could provide questions for me to ask. Thanks.

I'm interested in knowing if the environments are going to be very open ended or semi-secluded like assault rigs.

maxmars

Put there online mode and I'm in from day one. The tank commanding interface is great, the DS is very apt for such things.

By the way, M1 Tank Platoon (the original) would rock on the DS. :D

http://tankbeat.o3ent.com/

Most of the information being asked for is already available on o3's official website. They have trailers and a bunch of english screenshots. And yes, it is confirmed to have online, though I don't know with how many players at once.

http://tankbeat.o3ent.com/trailers/multi_trailer1.html

The game moves faster than I was expecting, and seems to have pretty large maps.

The way the controls work, I'm pretty sure, is that you draw your tank's path on the radar screen to control movement, and then can tap on the radar screen where you want to fire.

Neo Child, I've sent you a PM with interview suggestions.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Neo Child said:

It's hard to make questions when you're not interested in the game or you don't know the background of the company, but looking at the shoots (meanwhile waiting to download the ****ing slow trailers) I have these doubts:

What's the game's main public orientation?
And what is the key point of it's accessibility?
So, How do you define your game? as an arcade or as a simulator?
Could you make a description of the game mechanics?
So what are the keypoints?
Could you explain how is the game's control working?
How's the game structured? linear story development, free campaign based... how?
So what do you think will be the favourite aspect of the game to the end user? What's going to keep them playing and interested in?
How will the multiplayer mode work?
Any type of stats in the online mode?
In marketing aspects, why your game should stand up from the rest?

Top Bottom