• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contrib - Search Your Feelings: 'Star Wars Battlefront' Isn't Worth $60

Cheddahz

Banned
Article goes in (please click on the link, so the writer can eat) - http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...feelings-star-wars-battlefront-isnt-worth-60/

This may sound counter-intuitive, but giving people 10 hours of unrestricted playtime in Star Wars Battlefront via EA Access is the worst thing EA could have done to encourage sales of its insanely anticipated Star Wars title. Absent a review copy, I fired up my EA Access Hub to start feasting on 10 glorious, blissfully chaotic hours in DICE’s beautiful Star Wars sandbox. I feared it would be a massive tease, and I dreaded the thought of that final splash screen telling me my time was up.

Instead, I walked away disappointed and discontent.

That sobering truth is that there simply isn’t enough content or variety here to justify a $60 purchase.

But Walker Assault doesn’t justify $60.

Don’t get me wrong, DICE has painstakingly recreated the look and feel of the Star Wars universe, and the outstanding fan service becomes even more appreciated after you’ve revisited the original trilogy. The imposing gait of Darth Vader, that rough engine whine of the Tie Fighter, the snow cave walls of the rebel base on Hoth, the way Han Solo fires his blaster while retreating. It’s gorgeous, it’s faithful, and it’s a downright fantastic Star Wars experience. Hell, it’s a great Star Wars game. Just not necessarily one that warrants a full price purchase.

Your first instinct after reading this will be to close your browser in disgust, assuming I’m just writing linkbait. Honestly though, the game’s shiny coat wears off after about 10 hours. The shallowness becomes more pronounced, and you’ll realize Star Wars Battlefront needs more content, more variety. DICE will absolutely deliver that via DLC, and I’ll absolutely wait until the inevitable Game of the Year edition is released, or the combined content goes on sale.

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Author’s Note: I have not personally seen nor agreed to a review embargo for Star Wars Battlefront. My opinion is based on 10 hours with the game via EA Access, which I paid for.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
On UPF yesterday, Dan (reviewing the game) was questioning the game's longevity. I think most of us are a little concerned going in.

DarkKyo

*shrug* I picked it up for 30 due to having $30 dollar courtesy credit at Amazon since they shipped my Pip-Boy late. Surely the base game is worth at least that much.

Max_Po

Banned
I feel ...out of touch or something strange.

Not feeling Halo 5... not feeling BOPS III on PS4... and now this. ....

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm in the unique position of having not played a shooter in some ten years, so all those "steps back for the genre" probably won't faze me, heh.

I do lament the lack of campaign though. I lament it hard.

EhoaVash

Playing the beta was enough for me. Never touching this game again..

Visuals are still very damn good.but man is the game ...so boring

Xav

By the time the Beta finished, I already had enough of the game.

If the game had a campaign, then I'd buy it.

Krakn3Dfx

This is a shame, but not unexpected. The real insult the the price for the season pass that will basically be what would make the game worth $60.

I feel the same after reading up on the game modes and unlock progression.

There doesn't seem to be enough there to justify the $60 price beside the renewed hype for all things Star Wars.

I'll wait until it's $30.

biteren

i like the game and all, the abillity to just jump on and play is great, but at 60 bucks i dunno, i feel like if i wait i wont be missing anything

the casual aspect of it is what sold me on the game weirdly enough. I don't have time in my life to grind, prestige and unlock millions of weapons. By what I am hearing you get to unlock everything pretty fast. and the levels and graphics look fun enough to play a few games every now and then with my old friends with no times in their lives as well.

Chairhome

I think its worth mentioning that this is from a Forbes contributor (i think its more akin to a blog hosted on Forbes), and not Forbes proper.

SummitAve

Banned
Is there a battlefield esque conquest mode? That's the only mode that really matters. Few AAA games are worth $60 imo. They're on sale and losing value before they're even released.

I personally don't think it's worth the price. Not for me, because I don't think I'll be spending enough time with it. I'll be picking it up when I can get it and/or the premium package cheap. Because it's not a 60 dollar game, it's 100.

Chairhome

Or 'someone who actually played the game' alert? Isn't his opinion worth a thing? I think he raises good points and I wouldn't be surprised if other reviewers and players would agree.
Its worth listening to, but the OP says "Forbes" in the title which would lead you to believe that it is from a reviewer who does this for a living.

Jo-El

I enjoyed the beta quite a bit, but with so little content coming with the game I canceled my preorder and I'm going to get PvZ: Garden Warfare 2 instead (which has free maps/content updates.)

nillah

Banned
It's the only Star Wars game this gen. thus far, that doesn't justify a purchase but for those looking for their Star Wars fix it just might

Really needed a campaign for me to get to buy it. Remember playing as the 501st and it was great in coop. Will be delaying my purchase to when the price is significantly dropped.

Besides the fact that the content is severely lacking and they have a 50 dollar season pass as a slap in the face, the actual gameplay itself is screwed up thanks to the loadout system and Star Cards.

low-G

Yeah I think it must be a little sparse on content, but it helps that I got a big discount from Green Man Gaming.

joecanada

I feel ...out of touch or something strange.

Not feeling Halo 5... not feeling BOPS III on PS4... and now this. ....

I haven't played Halo and refuse to buy bop3 but I still know exactly what you mean.

This gen is a barren wasteland for fps. So many failures, not one cod4, socom, halo2, bfbc2, Warhawk even, nothing in sight with solid connections, no lag, hit detection, etc to warrant praise.

Maybe titanfall 2?

Question - will we all be playing BF4 again by February???

jimflox

Neo Member
I'm going to blissfully ignore this and grab it anyways, as the Star Wars hype has me in a force choke-hold.

From what I played of the Beta, I believe I'll enjoy it. And with having just purchased Fallout 4 and Forza 6 along with still playing Rocket League, its not like I'll be relying on this to solely entertain me, so I doubt I'd be able to burn out quickly.

And, of course, the Best Buy preorder with GCU means I'm only paying ~$38 net anyways.

Top Bottom