• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contrib - Search Your Feelings: 'Star Wars Battlefront' Isn't Worth $60

Mexen

No SP Campaign was disappointing enough but I've moved on. Will wait for more reviews but this is looking like a price-drop purchase for me.

The game is no doubt a ton of fun however the lack of content in the base game and the fact that the season pass will have double the content makes anyone feel like they're missing out just by getting the base game.

I doubt we'll see the game be very populated after a few months after the star wars appeal wears off due to the lack of content and the longevity behind it. We've already seen people get bored with the beta and the 10 hour early access. How can anyone be sure that there will be a large population playing the game a month or two months after release?

Not to mention the season pass will split up the audience for each new mode and maps, causing that audience to be smaller and smaller. The smartest decision would be to just wait and see what happens in the near future, no doubt the game will be incredibly cheap to pick up then.

Nekrono

After playing the PC beta for over 20 + hours I still wanted to keep going, game is amazingly fun and that was only 2 maps and 2 game modes. I'm a big fan of Battlefield and played the beta for 3 and 4 but not nearly as much and did not have that much fun either.

EA probably did this to seal further sales, I'd be really surprised if this move turned out for the worst for them.

Either way I got the game for $40 bucks, but I would have payed $60 easily.

Contributor alert.

Random dude with a blog on Forbes, or Forbes?

I think its worth mentioning that this is from a Forbes contributor (i think its more akin to a blog hosted on Forbes), and not Forbes proper.

Its worth listening to, but the OP says "Forbes" in the title which would lead you to believe that it is from a reviewer who does this for a living.

CONTRIBUTOR strikes again

Is every Forbes contributor article worth a thread? Better get my act together over there.

Yeah Forbes now means 'internet rando' to me.

Can we please change the title to: "Random blogger says..."

Without fail. In every Forbes thread. Congrats! For those quoted here, and any others who are unaware, Jason Evangelho (and Paul Tassi, and Erik Kain, and I'm sure others) write for Forbes full-time. It's their primary, or perhaps only, source of income. So, Chairhome, your post is particularly ironic.

They are called freelance writers, which, last time I checked, is a huge industry that requires W-2 forms and everything. In other words, it's a real, tax-paying job and everything that goes along with that. Also, like a few others have mentioned, there are videos from YouTubers that get posted as threads all the time, and the response is never "Some YouTuber, just FYI". And their reviews are on Metacritic now, which makes it especially legitimate, right?

Please stop mocking their contributions. They are freelance writers. I guarantee some of your favorite writers on your favorite sites, whether video game-related or otherwise, are freelance writers.

On topic, I played the Beta on PS4 for about two hours and that was enough to tell me this wasn't the game for me. It felt like reskinned Battlefield, which I've never been a fan of. I prefer the COD style of play. But it absolutely gorgeous and totally felt like the Star Wars universe, so kudos for that.

I don't know about anyone else, but I literally lost all interest in this game the second EA announced it doesn't have a campaign.

I'd say it's a $29.99 purchase at best.

desu

Preordered this for 33€ today and well that's the maximum I wanted to pay for it.

I only really care about 2 game modes which each only have 4 maps. Quite sadly that's laugable content for a game that carries a full price price tag (the other modes don't add that much imho, as almost all other game modes seem like filler to me). Amazing looking and sounding game, but they really dropped the ball on the content side (I don't know if this is wanted, forced by EA or simply due to TFA's release date ...).

If I had to guess main game + season pass will probably what I expected content wise for the main game release.

The biggest critique I have of EA's version of SW:BF is that it's boring. That for me is the worst thing you can say about a game. It is definitely the most boring and generic game I've ever had the displeasure of playing. Usually, people on gaf often use the word generic to describe a game and I often wondered what is meant by that. It's was not something I had experienced myself either by luck or by my taste in games. Looking at the base game, the core mechanics are boring. The extra content cannot make an already boring game less boring. It will certainly provide more variety in content but the gameplay is rubbish. There is not "just one more game" feeling when playing bf. It's truly a mindless shooter. From what I've experienced from this game, I'd rate it a 5-6/10. Very very poor effort from dice indeed. It's like they've forgotten how to make a good game.

Kosma

Banned
I wonder if people would pay 50 bucks nowadays for games like Mario World.

Expectations to how much there should be in a game are off the hook

I feel ...out of touch or something strange.

Not feeling Halo 5... not feeling BOPS III on PS4... and now this. ....

Its not just you.

The industry is changing and all the changes aren't necessarily good.

As to the OP, the Forbes article is spot on. As expected, the game nails the look and sound of Star Wars... But there's absolutely not enough content to justify a $60 purchase. And, I'd add, the gameplay is a snooze-fest even before the 10 hour mark.

NateDrake

On topic, I played the Beta on PS4 for about two hours and that was enough to tell me this wasn't the game for me. It felt like reskinned Battlefield, which I've never been a fan of. I prefer the COD style of play. But it absolutely gorgeous and totally felt like the Star Wars universe, so kudos for that.

I'm not a fan of the game and I, too, dislike Battlefield style multiplayer, but SW:B is far from a BF reskin. If anything, it's closer to CoD than it is any BF game.

LOLCats

Banned
Forbes was an investing/business magazine with old white guys on the cover. When has their games coverage ever had any credibility?

If the article were written by a full-time, salaried Forbes staff member would that make it much more credible to you?

Imo they really havnt, ive read a few of thier contributer peices and thought, well this author doesnt know anything about games.

This is probably the first i read that i agree with, but its more of an opinion peice. Also star wars... Im sure it will generate many clicks.

Or 'someone who actually played the game' alert? Isn't his opinion worth a thing? I think he raises good points and I wouldn't be surprised if other reviewers and players would agree.

I'm sure they would. Hell, I agree based solely on the beta. But people need to stop titling these posts like they come from Forbes when it's just another random person with a blog.

Nokterian

I had this feeling even before i saw the gameplay and now seeing the whole package it still feels shallow i am more than glad i bought blops 3 though because that amount of content is to me more worth it.

I personally felt it was kind of gimmicky when i played the beta. I felt like when i scream "bullshit" all the time, then its not for me. I personally like to feel responsible when I fuck up and not get overly-fucked by cheap kills. I enjoy Balance in a MP game.

It's amazing how many people quickly latch on to some random blogger's opinion to confirm their own predefined opinions.

I also see quite a bit of the opposite happening, I see people using the fact that he is not a paid journalist to discredit his opinion (which I very much agree with after my EA access experience).

GobFather

BB GCU discount made it less than $60 for me so I'm good.
I have BB GCU as well... And I've preordered more games than I thought I would especially with the $10 reward on top of their 20% discount for preordering.

Bought the game already. Can't wait.

I wonder if people would pay 50 bucks nowadays for games like Mario World.

Expectations to how much there should be in a game are off the hook
I agree. I wonder if that same game came out today if we will see comments like:

- it's not worth it due to multiplayer not present,
- it's only 8 hours long? I rather watch it on YouTube.
- it's not open world, it's too linear .. I wanted to explore. Shouldn't cost as much as open world games.

And etc.

Make your own decision and don't base on someone else's. And don't bandwagon on people's article based on having similar opinions. Just enjoy the game or move on.

Wasp

The game should have has a campaign. Even with DICE's track record I can't imagine how it wouldn't have been fun.

This feels like a half a game.

Same for Rainbow Six Siege, except Rainbow Six will bomb but this is gonna sell like gangbusters.

Syriel

Please stop mocking their contributions. They are freelance writers. I guarantee some of your favorite writers on your favorite sites, whether video game-related or otherwise, are freelance writers.

Forbes contributors are not the equivalent of freelance writers. They're not paid per piece. They're paid based on traffic. It's a similar model to what Examiner.com uses.

You can make money from it, but it's not a matter of pitching a piece and getting paid a freelance rate.

From a 2014 article looking at various blog networks:
http://digiday.com/publishers/publishing-platforms-pay-contributors/

By far the most divisive network on this list is Forbes, which has staked both its brand and digital future on its contributor network. The network, whose population fluctuates between 1,200 and 1,300 contributors, is either the future of journalism or the industry’s end, depending on whom you ask. Forbes’s contributors — 40 percent of whom are either current or former journalists — can produce as many as 400 posts per day. While the network has a reputation for being freewheeling and unsupervised, its efforts are monitored by Forbes’ 40-person editorial staff, which help oversee the site’s output.

Forbes, however, doesn’t pay 60 percent of contributors. “We’re willing to pay everybody, but you have to make a commitment,” said Lewis DVorkin, chief product officer of Forbes Media. That commitment, which requires contributors to post five times a month and respond to readers in comments, might be a tough sell for many Forbes writers, which is why the company also compensates them with exposure and “association with the Forbes brand.”

Its Star Wars. It's fun and performs well. Its Star Wars. It looks and sounds amazing. Its Star Wars. Its worth it to me.

I wish there was more, like a campaign, but I'm buying it either way. I'm the sports fan equivalent. As a hardcore Star Wars fanboy, I have little choice. Don't play it? Fuck that, its in my blood.

Lingitiz

The lack of content combined with the core gameplay being fairly mindless, chaotic, and simple doesn't have me hopeful of this carrying much of an audience, especially on PC.

I expect reviews to be a lot of "well this game is fun, beautiful, technically solid, but I don't really want to play much more."

cjp

Its Star Wars. It's fun and performs well. Its Star Wars. It looks and sounds amazing. Its Star Wars. Its worth it to me.

I wish there was more, like a campaign, but I'm buying it either way. I'm the sports fan equivalent. As a hardcore Star Wars fanboy, I have little choice. Don't play it? Fuck that, its in my blood.

It's.

prag16

Banned
After reading a few more articles with impressions, I dunno, it sounds like many are viewing this game through CoD and/or Battlefield tinted glasses. It's not those games. It's being knocked in some areas for being different from those aforementioned games. Many of which are pluses for me, not minuses.

Sort of reminds me of the reception Goldeneye Wii's multiplayer received in some quarters. Essentially, complaining it didn't measure up to CoD while ignoring/downplaying the things it did better/differently than CoD.

1) Can it with the "contributor" hate. Valid concern is valid concern wherever it comes from. All most of you had to do was post drivel for 90 days before becoming a member here and continue to post drivel. If its well written I don't care where it comes from. Stop being noobs.

2) "The beta left me wanting more" - good. The article is about content which this game DOES lack, not how much you or anyone else may enjoy a single mode which is perfectly acceptable. I play Rush almost exclusively in Battlefield but that doesn't mean I don't like other options and thankfully, they existed in Battlefield. Battlefront? Not so much.

3) Depth - the game lacks it, hands down. This may or may not be a bad thing depending on what you prefer. Do you want more depth to the game? Battlefront may not be for you. Do you want to "play Star Wars"? Battlefront may be a good way to experience just that.

4) Wait for the game to release! - We already know what's in it and it ain't much.

For 60 bucks there's not much of a game here. We constantly attack games that scrape for content and post pictures of the Mona Lisa meme as way to pass judgement and ridicule the nickle-and-diming publishers are using to get more for providing less.

monalisameme.jpg

Tain

Maybe the game isn't worthwhile (hard for me to say from the beta), but "content for dollars" arguments are always throwaway.

CHC

Important to keep in mind that Forbes "contributors" can be literally almost anyone.

That said, the game won't be $60 for long. "Worth it" is entirely subjective. It doesn't have a lot of content but if you love Star Wars and want your fix now, then it shouldn't really matter what other people say.

Personally I'm saving my $60 for a game in which they decide to "painstakingly recreate" the Star Wars world in order to deliver a great single player experience.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Without fail. In every Forbes thread. Congrats! For those quoted here, and any others who are unaware, Jason Evangelho (and Paul Tassi, and Erik Kain, and I'm sure others) write for Forbes full-time. It's their primary, or perhaps only, source of income. So, Chairhome, your post is particularly ironic.

They are called freelance writers, which, last time I checked, is a huge industry that requires W-2 forms and everything. In other words, it's a real, tax-paying job and everything that goes along with that. Also, like a few others have mentioned, there are videos from YouTubers that get posted as threads all the time, and the response is never "Some YouTuber, just FYI". And their reviews are on Metacritic now, which makes it especially legitimate, right?

Why would Forbes label writers working for them full time as Contributor? You are implying they are writing exclusively for Forbes, yet they are freelancers? Don't blame people for highlighting that the person who wrote an article was listed as 'Contributor' or "Freelancer.' Blame the outlet for not making these people staff and labeling them as such.

CONTRIBUTOR strikes again

giphy.gif

MechDX

I had the same impression and made the same comments after playing it on Access and posted them in the Battlefront thread.

I wasn't the only one in that thread with the same opinion. It is just a very basic shooter with a shiny Star Wars paint job.

Die hard star wars fans will eat it up though and rightfully so.

Pastry

Banned
I have a feeling that Battlefront 2 will be a drastically different game aka Battlefield: Star Wars if the reception is luke warm. The game is going to sell well so it'll get a sequel for sure.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
BB GCU discount made it less than $60 for me so I'm good.

Yep, $48 with and extra $10 in rewards. Well worth it, and I would have paid $60 as a Star Wars fan.

I had a lot of fun in Beta, and I know I will have even more fun with the retail.

I purchase based on fun, not checklists.

Well, it may not be worth full asking price if you look at the check boxes, for sure. But, I bought it because the beta was extremely fun for me. It's just super easy to pick up and a blast to play. The mechanics don't really need depth in this game. It's just supposed to be super fun to play. If you need a sense of progression, then understandably you may want to look elsewhere. But, as someone with less time on their hands these days, this is exactly what I want in a multiplayer game. It's like someone finally made something for those that don't give a damn for competition. Refreshing for a change.

My EXACT same feelings. Hence why I did not pick up BF4. No time or care for that grind.

Even more stoked that it's Star Wars, and looks/plays so good.

Wazzu

Banned
This was suppose to be my game but after the beta I just couldn't justify the price, love what dice did with the graphics and all but there is no longevity to this game without the season pass, which that content should just be in the damn game to begin with! For blops3 instead pretty happy with my decision

Well, it may not be worth full asking price if you look at the check boxes, for sure. But, I bought it because the beta was extremely fun for me. It's just super easy to pick up and a blast to play. The mechanics don't really need depth in this game. It's just supposed to be super fun to play. If you need a sense of progression, then understandably you may want to look elsewhere. But, as someone with less time on their hands these days, this is exactly what I want in a multiplayer game. It's like someone finally made something for those that don't give a damn for competition. Refreshing for a change.

Top Bottom