• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contrib - Search Your Feelings: 'Star Wars Battlefront' Isn't Worth $60

Roshin

It's amazing how many people quickly latch on to some random blogger's opinion to confirm their own predefined opinions.

I would say it's equally amazing how eager some people are to discredit the writer because his opinion doesn't confirm their own predefined opinions.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I would say it's equally amazing how eager some people are to discredit the writer because his opinion doesn't confirm their own predefined opinions.

Or Vice versa.

"Stop bringing up the contributor thing for Forbes! These guys totally write full time for the site (at one article every two weeks) and should be considered staff writers!

On topic, totally agree with the article."

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
My friend that works for EA will get me the game for $20. So for me the price is justified.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
After articles for almost every major release this fall, i dont know what people think is worth $60 anymore. Forget review acores, just put a dollar amount you think the game is worth.

Wagram

I played the Beta and found it okay. Enjoyed what I played, but it's not something I think would be worth $60 at the end. It'll sell ridiculous numbers regardless of my purchase.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I can't argue with the guy, I had my fill during the beta.

I'm sure it's going to be fun, but for me the fun will last waaaaaay longer with Blops 3, which is why I chose it over Battlefront for my multiplayer fix.

Gator86

Without fail. In every Forbes thread. Congrats! For those quoted here, and any others who are unaware, Jason Evangelho (and Paul Tassi, and Erik Kain, and I'm sure others) write for Forbes full-time. It's their primary, or perhaps only, source of income. So, Chairhome, your post is particularly ironic.

They are called freelance writers, which, last time I checked, is a huge industry that requires W-2 forms and everything. In other words, it's a real, tax-paying job and everything that goes along with that. Also, like a few others have mentioned, there are videos from YouTubers that get posted as threads all the time, and the response is never "Some YouTuber, just FYI". And their reviews are on Metacritic now, which makes it especially legitimate, right?

Please stop mocking their contributions. They are freelance writers. I guarantee some of your favorite writers on your favorite sites, whether video game-related or otherwise, are freelance writers.

On topic, I played the Beta on PS4 for about two hours and that was enough to tell me this wasn't the game for me. It felt like reskinned Battlefield, which I've never been a fan of. I prefer the COD style of play. But it absolutely gorgeous and totally felt like the Star Wars universe, so kudos for that.

What are you talking about? Everyone knows that impressions from Gaffers, youtubers, and certain media outlets are real whereas impressions from contributors, certain other media outlets are just clickbait garbage. It's basically every review-relevant thread. If people don't like the content, they'll just insult the author with some smug comments.

On topic, I played the beta, as well, and found the game gorgeous but superficial. All the guns felt identical and the shooting felt pretty bad. I'll have this next week but a rental and sure as hell not a purchase.

Catdaddy

Yeah, fun time in beta but not $60 fun time. Also being only multiplayer having to hope that if I were to get sucked in, that there would be a thriving community in a few months.

Lothars

What is with the massive obsession about whether or not a Forbes article is from a contributor or a staff writer? Is there a group of people with some kind of longstanding vendetta against Forbes? Or Forbes contributors?

What difference does it make if there's a thread about it? Angry Joe gets a thread everytime he craps out a video. Exactly how much of a journalist do you have to be to get a dedicated thread about a single editorial piece?
The majority of forbes contributers are terrible and should be ignored. They don't deserve a thread about them or anything like that.

Edit: I am not picking up battlefront at launch and have little interest in it but my point is forbes contributers are up there with some of the worst journalists in the industry and don't deserve attention for most articles.

robotrock

Banned
I have EA access and a preorder for this game on PC.

I'm trying not to play the ten hour trial so I can still get value out of my actual full game purchase

I completely agree. Luckily thanks to the whole Visa Checkout/BB Giftcard fiasco I'm getting Battlefront for $20. If I had to pay my own money, most I'd go is $40 out of pocket until I'd wait for a price cut. I do not blame a single person who doesn't want to cough up $60 for this game.

Alienous

Nostalgia is a fast used resource, and Star Wars Battlefront (at least from what I played of the beta) seemed to value that over making the game compelling in other ways.

I'm not surprised.

jond76

Banned
Played it. Loved it. Bought it.

The pick up and play nature actually made this more appealing to me.

Second, I'll decide how to best spend my money.

Furthermore, given that Star Wars is now a yearly movie franchise, this will no doubt have staying power.

styl3s

I didn't even need the full 10 hours of the trial to have enough of the game.
This is how i feel.

I put about 4 hours into the trial and said yup, that's star wars. Had no hook, no real progression that matters and the dog fighting stuff is ok at best. Don't get me wrong i enjoyed what i played but it just has no legs for me.

anothertech

How many maps and modes (excluding campaign) did bf4 launch with for comparison? The campaign there didn't add much IMO.

If they are close in mp content, I don't see any issue here.

People have to realize, these types of games are meant to allow players to relive the same moments over and over. If it is done well and is fun, I played beta and I couldn't be more excited for this game.

So Battlefront draws the line in the sand between the people who like the yearly grind for attachments, endless unlocks, dozens of not-too-dissimilar weapons, and Pavlovian rewards and those who have grown tired of those things and want a return to a simpler and more streamlined, less bloated experience.

niahbvgpq

I got it for 10 euros trading in one game. I thought I could give it a try for that price, considering that I quite enjoyed my time with the beta, even though I'm not that into online shooters

i played more than 10 hours in the beta and i agree with the Forbes Contributor. the game is sparse and not worth $60 at all.

why do some OPs feel the need to blur the lines between a Forbes proper article and a Forbes Contributor? that just helps to derail the thread...

The majority of forbes contributers are terrible and should be ignored. They don't deserve a thread about them or anything like that.
The threads are about article content, not the contributor.

Also, if you think the mods aren't doing their job then tell them. I'm sure they can decide what warrants discussion and what doesn't - they don't need you thread-whining.

Don't like the thread? Don't post in it.
Mind-blowing

Disappointing to see how much content there is, but luckily I've got like 30 in BB rewards + GCU discount, so it's an easy pill to swallow

jelly

It's an opinion quite a few share. People have been saying similar things and the season pass on top makes it even worse. But, it's your money. Worth it to you, buy it and have fun while some others wait for a premium edition, price drops and DLC.

So Battlefront draws the line in the sand between the people who like the yearly grind for attachments, endless unlocks, dozens of not-too-dissimilar weapons, and Pavlovian rewards and those who have grown tired of those things and want a return to a simpler and more streamlined, less bloated experience.

it has less depth than BF 1943 and BFBC1 has a much shorter grind, only two modes and way more depth.

GRaider81

I know this.

But im buying it next week. Plus the season pass.

I doubt im alone.

Edit: I should say im buying on PC so Ive only payed £25, and likely the same if not less for the season pass.

Ferr986

It scares me how much streamlined arcade shooters are disliked nowadays. I personally love them. Hell, my most played multiplayer shooter is Lost Planet and that was arcade as fuck.

The lack of unlocks is one thing. Depth of gameplay has nothing to do with unlocks and everything to do with playability, modes, content, etc. You can have 1 gun and nothing else and create a compelling experience if the rest of the game picks up the slack. In Battlefront, that's not the case. There's very little to pick up the slack.

I know you're a die-hard and this has been explained to you many times. When are you going to ditch the silly argument of "unlocks" as has been pointed out to you many times? Stop yelling at strawmen.

How many maps and modes (excluding campaign) did bf4 launch with for comparison? The campaign there didn't add much IMO.

If they are close in mp content, I don't see any issue here.

They aren't and that is the problem. BF4 launched with 10 maps that could be played in most game modes. In each separate game mode in Battlefront there are a total of 4 maps, 5 when December rolls around. That is why when they say "12 maps" they are being disingenuous since it is 4 large maps, 4 medium maps, 4 small maps.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Preordered it duriduring the E3 preorder deals, so not paying full price for it :)

Wish the game had a proper single player campaign, I'm not a big multiplayer guy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Well you know...

P.S. Stargate SG1 is my all time favorite TV series! Watch the box set ever year like I do Star Wars. Never gets old.

ViciousDS

Banned
i knew this already, im wating for a apropriate price point for me to get it

Yup......I'm waiting for the full collection at $60 or free ea access with purchasing the season pass. I'm not spending $110 on the game to get full enjoyment. I've never bought premium and never will. The last CoD maps that I bought were a long time ago as well since it just splits the community and all playlists end up with most people without them....so you never play them.

Freeman

Banned
I don't think I ever bough a game I played the beta.

I get most of what I want from the beta and then i just want to play something else by the time it is released.

Gator86

Edit: I am not picking up battlefront at launch and have little interest in it but my point is forbes contributers are up there with some of the worst journalists in the industry and don't deserve attention for most articles.

They're just opinions like Gaffers' or anyone else's. I'm sorry you think it's your job to decide who should be allowed to write articles on the Internet. Review thread should be fun.

I would've thought a Star Wars game from the makers of Battlefield would be awesome, but it just wasn't my thing after trying the beta. Doesn't matter, it'll still be a giant success.

Frog-fu

Banned
It's amazing how many people quickly latch on to some random blogger's opinion to confirm their own predefined opinions.

Plenty of us have been playing the game for 10 hours. That's enough time to decide whether there is enough content to justify the price tag.

I am a massive Star Wars fan and have been for most of my life. I loved and played the shit out of the previous Battlefront.

This one, I've had a lot of fun with the beta, but that was in the earlier hours. Now the novelty has worn off, it's clear to me that the game, like others have said, has no real hook. It feels lacking and repetitive without a draw to incentivise long term play, let alone the price tag. On top of that, the season pass fuckery confirms my worst fears. It's Battlefront Premium, and that sucks big time.

The game, as it is, is not worth the price of admission. I'll still probably get it due to SW hype, but still.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They aren't and that is the problem. BF4 launched with 10 maps that could be played in most game modes. In each separate game mode in Battlefront there are a total of 4 maps, 5 when December rolls around. That is why when they say "12 maps" they are being disingenuous since it is 4 large maps, 4 medium maps, 4 small maps.

Please bruv, half those maps did not even work well with pacing and congestion points in BF4 "in all modes", thus people only enjoyed a small number in each mode. And only 2 modes were ever really played.

This isn't BF4, two different style shooters, thank goodness.

This game is dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. People early on were concern posting out of fear it would be BF4 with SW skins, now it is getting chatised for not being that?

Well I am glad they made the type of shooter I was looking for in my current life that can't invest endless hours in a grind fest.

SRTtoZ

It's worrying that a lot of people and outlets are saying this. My friend wants us to get it on launch but I might talk him into waiting for a price drop.

When the game was announced I figured it would be a Day 1 purchase.

Then I heard it didn't come with a campaign, or more than 6 maps or whatever it is, or space battles, or more than six heroes, or any Clone Wars content at all, and I figured it would be a GOTY edition type game.

First hour of the Beta almost had me pre-order it. Then I played a few more and it went from pre-order back to GOTY.

Reading this article is just echoing every thought I've had about the game. All my friends are buying it over Halo 5 or Black Ops 3 and I'm just left shaking my head at the move they are making. I've tried to convince them to buy either of the others, but it's like talking to a brick wall. This game is going to make millions and it's just going to prove to EA that they don't have to do shit for the inevitable Battlefront 2.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, Forbes is saying what I (and a lot of people like me) have been saying since the open beta: There's a lack of "depth" there and it isn't worth the $60 (nor the time invested) unless you're looking for a "comfort game" that is only for a short-while.

Hmmm...

Mors_Verigo said:
I would've thought a Star Wars game from the makers of Battlefield would be awesome, but it just wasn't my thing after trying the beta. Doesn't matter, it'll still be a giant success.

The major problem is that they tried to meld Battlefield's "Battlefield moments" (see: Luke being squashed by a walker) with Battlefront gameplay and neither really work too well. Along with the fact that the leveling system doesn't give you anything that makes it feel like it's warrented/NEEDED (and to be fair: I'm not saying every shooter out there does this), but when you see someone with a jetpack and you're able to copy their stuff, it begs the question why you're waiting until level 3 yourself to get that when the level system could be done away with and had you be able to buy this stuff faster in any order you wanted a la Hardline.

JHoNNy1OoO said:
They aren't and that is the problem. BF4 launched with 10 maps that could be played in most game modes.

Which is a problem. Star Wars attempts to solve this by making "mode specific maps" when really (and hopefully DICE/DICE-LA are taking this since I've been harping on it for YEARS now) they need to merge both: All maps are available to play on all modes, HOWEVER each map plays different/has a different layout and even the map itself may be radically DIFFERENT for each mode.

EG: Shanghai Rush wouldn't be in the same are as Shanghai Sabotage (er-"Obliteration") and Conquest, which work together on that particular variant of the map.

The Rush variant would be in the outskirts of Shanghai and in the background you might see the skyscraper that is featured in the launch BF4 map but can't reach it for "flavor" and placing.

But that's "too much work" for DICE to where they didn't bother and the modes suffer for it in BF3/4 because of it: They have 10+ modes and can't fit them all comfortably in the maps in a "one-size-fits-all" mode.

Top Bottom