• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DoA5 is my favorite fighting game ever, and not for the reason you're thinking.

The Dead or Alive series is well know for how gorgeous the girls are made (but also the boys). In DoA5 you have this awesome graphic with sweat, water and dirt that covers the bodies of the fighters. It's really one of the most "physical" games out there. There are also a lot of cool DLC costumes which my gf loves.

But to me, the fighting system and the control scheme are really good. I really like how you can move around 360 degrees and how fluid it is. Also the three button stuff is well made,is easy to learn but hard to master.
I consider it the best fighting game until now. It's more Virtua Fighter (the true king) than the other games now.

I think a lot of fighting games should be more like DoA. With the exception of Street Fighter and Killer Instinct.

What do you think?

Tizoc

DoA was inspired by Virtua Fighter, and that extends onto DoA5.
What I did play of it was really good and there is a good fighter there.
I should note that game a-cho features the game among its uploads along with USF4 and other fighters prominent in Japanese arcades.

I don't think people would assme you like it for the girls. I think liking it for the girls is a bit silly honestly but I do prefer Tekken and many other fighters more than DOA

As far as 3d fightersr go DOA is well below

SC
Tekken
VF

BossLackey

Gold Member
I completely agree. DOA has been my favorite fighting franchise for years. 4 is probably still my favorite, but yeah, the fighting mechanics, fluidity of combat and speed of it all is just awesome.

ShinMaruku

It was made by massive VF fans and a drunk so that makes it have a Virtua Fighter Lineage.

I too love DOA5 because it's not the same as the others and it a faster vitrua fighter with my characters that appeal to me. It's true genius is how it is monitized which makes it more profitable than the other 'bigger' games.

Skilletor

I love DoA5. My second favorite 3D series after SC.

DoA5 is the best DoA ever, for real. The gameplay, the support has been amazing for several years.

I like it because of the boobs.

After nearly two years of trying to get into it I just can't get a hold of the hold system. Not only do I seem to mess up the inputs but I also hold the wrong height and direction always. It seems to be more about predicting your enemy than reacting to their actions. And it's hard to predict anyone's actions when they have about a 100 different moves to choose from. It's like nothing I've learned from Third Strike and P4U applies here.

I just mash with Momiji or Nyotengu and enjoy the visuals. Jacky is awesome too but didn't like his moveset when I tried him out when he was free on Core Fighters.

Asriel

I completely agree. DOA has been my favorite fighting franchise for years. 4 is probably still my favorite, but yeah, the fighting mechanics, fluidity of combat and speed of it all is just awesome.

DOA4 was absolute garbage. I'm so glad DOA5 was able to correct its mistakes and it's my current favorite fighter.

The game flies at 60fps, and is the most fluid fighter to date. It's amazing how well animated it is.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I love DOA5 and my favorite too. They really polished up the game after the mess that was 4 and added new welcome changes in terms of the combat. The only thing I miss is the older stages.

How many fighting games have you played if you consider DOA5 to be the BEST

I know its not for me but:

Mortal Kombat
SF
Bloody Roar
BlazBlue
Guilty Gear
Fighters Destiny
King of Fighters
Tekken
Virtua Fighter
Tobal
Naruto fighters
Soul Calibur
Garou
and more from the SNK arcade era.

Nothing wrong with liking Dead or Alive cause everyone has different taste on games.

Mihos

Gold Member
I suck at fighting games. DOA4 seemed like it was awefully cheap, like Mortal Kombat 3 cheap on harder levels.... but it could have been my own personal suckage

I like it for the girls.

DoA4 was my favorite online fighter. I think because it was actually feature-rich and had great netcode. Lobbies worked and felt like standing in line at an arcade. Team tag modes worked quite well. That game did a lot of things right that it took a decade or more to see replicated in other online fighters.

I like it because of the boobs.

After nearly two years of trying to get into it I just can't get a hold of the hold system. Not only do I seem to mess up the inputs but I also hold the wrong height and direction always. It seems to be more about predicting your enemy than reacting to their actions. And it's hard to predict anyone's actions when they have about a 100 different moves to choose from. It's like nothing I've learned from Third Strike and P4U applies here.

I just mash with Momiji or Nyotengu and enjoy the visuals. Jacky is awesome too but didn't like his moveset when I tried him out when he was free on Core Fighters.

I'm not saying i'm good at it. Not even close. So in the end i enjoy the boobs and the visuals too. But it's funny.

Pachimari

I'm actually thinking of buying it now that it is cheap. My biggest annoyance with the series though, is that to me, the hits doesn't feel like they connect. It doesn't feel like I am hitting another character. Unlike in Tekken where punches and kicks feels really powerful when they connect.

Tapejara

I really love DoA5. It hits the sweet spot between accessible and competitive (for lack of a better word). It's typically the fighting game my friends and I default to because it's easy for everyone to pick up and play while also retaining enough depth there for people interested in that.

Plus, Mila is awesome.

I'm actually thinking of buying it now that it is cheap. My biggest annoyance with the series though, is that to me, the hits doesn't feel like they connect. It doesn't feel like I am hitting another character. Unlike in Tekken where punches and kicks feels really powerful when they connect.
I completely disagree. Hits in DoA5 feel really good and satisfying.

Azuardo

Amen. Best fighting game, certainly in the 3D category, for me, at least. Doesn't get the love and attention it deserves from the uptight FGC.

BossLackey

Gold Member
DOA4 was absolute garbage. I'm so glad DOA5 was able to correct its mistakes and it's my current favorite fighter.

The game flies at 60fps, and is the most fluid fighter to date. It's amazing how well animated it is.

Ooookay, fuck my opinion I guess.

Asriel

I looove that there aren't ridiculous sparks and fireworks that appear on impact. So tacky.

Vazra

I completely disagree. Hits in DoA5 feel really good and satisfying.

The only thing I may agree and it hasnt been brought up is how it seems you are already going to grab someone and a simple punch in the last second ruins the grab but that is part of the triangle system so it somewhat makes sense.

I looove that there aren't ridiculous sparks and fireworks that appear on impact. So tacky.

There are sparks on DOA5 but you can turn em off which is a blessing cause I dont like that spark.

Klossen

Banned
I love DoA5. It's an excellent fighting game. Very smooth, responsive and fast-paced. It's the perfect game in-between the more stressful USF4 sessions.

Pachimari

That said, do any of you still play it online, and can somebody help practice with me, so that I can get better at it?

The only thing I may agree and it hasnt been brought up is how it seems you are already going to grab someone and a simple punch in the last second ruins the grab but that is part of the triangle system so it somewhat makes sense.
What is this triangle system?

ShinMaruku

When you find out the DOA mindgames and camera manipulation and other things, game really opens up. It also has dunks.

Vazra

Sorry, but IMO, it was. An unbalanced, near-broken mess.

It became a hold contest. Holds caused absurd amounts of damage, and some of the guaranteed combos off them were almost game-breaking.

Never forget the good preview build. Why Itagaki changed it after the preview build that was well received? ;___;

Skilletor

That said, do any of you still play it online, and can somebody help practice with me, so that I can get better at it?

What is this triangle system?

Holds beat Strikes
Strikes beat throws
Throws beat Holds

Never forget the good preview build. Why Itagaki changed it after the preview build that was well received? ;___;

Oh god..There was a vid where Ayane was doing oki stuff and it looked amazing.

what could have been. :(

For DoA6, I'm hoping they take some cues from Ki and have like hold lockouts when you guess wrong, or something like that.

gelf

Its no Virtua Fighter but its probably my 2nd favourite after that. Mainly because it has a lot of VF influences though.

BiggNife

It's a good game. DOA is easily my favorite 3d fighter, and 5 is the series at its most refined.

Always felt the series got a bad rap for being too simple. I actually really like the rock-paper-scissors (triangle system) structure - it's simple and accessible while providing plenty of strategy and mind-games.

For the life of me I don't understand why it's so much less popular than Tekken.

Dead or Alive 5 was a massive improvement over DoA4. Only problem is that it really, really feels like VF Light and I'd rather play Final Showdown. Another problem is that, for someone who kind of wants to get back into it (mostly for the novelty of a 3D fighter on PS4), it's a jungle of trial packs and expansions and upgrades and costumes - I just want to get a solid, cheap core with every character and a few costumes.

Ninjimbo

I like it better than Tekken but it's below Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur for me. DOA5 is a damn good fighter and worth anyone's attention if they're interested in the genre. I still think it does levels better than any fighter on the market with all of its layers and hazards. I like the flashiness and the animations. Great game deserving of more attention. It's too bad most people will never look past the gorgeous women.

There's also that weird stigma against 3D fighters that always gets in the way.

Arklite

It is a lot of fun. I bought the PC version earlier in the year for a laugh and ended up putting a ton of time into it. The tag mode in particular is a blast with stylish character specific intros, outros, and throws. With the limited amount of 3D fighters on Steam this is probably the easiest to get into, super flashy and entertaining.

Asriel

Dead or Alive 5 was a massive improvement over DoA4. Only problem is that it really, really feels like VF Light and I'd rather play Final Showdown. Another problem is that, for someone who kind of wants to get back into it (mostly for the novelty of a 3D fighter on PS4), it's a jungle of trial packs and expansions and upgrades and costumes - I just want to get a solid, cheap core with every character and a few costumes.

DOA5: LR already has every character unlocked and I really can't complain about too many costumes.

RM8

It's smooth and fun, but it feels a bit shallow. I really wanted to like it, but I think I prefer every other 3D fighter, and I prefer 2D fighters in the first place.

Warxard

Banned
DOA5U is probably my favorite in the series next to DOA3. I really like the newcomers, the VF characters, and just the overall speed of the game.

Skilletor

Last Round is exactly that.

If you think 300 costumes is "a few," anyway. :)

Griss

If it wasn't for Smash Bros Melee, I'd be right there with you, OP.

You need to note, though, that DoA5 Ultimate and Last Round made a ton of tweaks from Vanilla that turned it into a much, much better game.

And the game is still flawed in a lot of ways, I think. For example the wake-up game and options therein are really, really weak, imo.

But overall you just can't beat it. It's a fighting game where getting into your opponent's head and knowing their moves is far more important than being able to execute tricky inputs or memorising massive lists of your own moves. It's accessible and stylish; quick and always fun. It's exactly what I want in a fighter.

I agree, DOA is awesome and i play a lot of fighting games. People always try to put it down for stupid reasons.

I think the serie has amazing gameplay even if it's not the most balanced and with DOA5, it's just an incredible fighting game that not only looks very good and smooth but also is played by my casual friends who would never touch Street Fighter, Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat. It's easy to learn and play on top of being fun.

With that said, i can't wait for more DOA !

RiZ III

I don't think any other 3d fighter comes close to DoA's fluid animation. The visuals along with the animations have always put DoA games far ahead of other 3d fighters as far as aesthetics go. The fighting system itself is also great. I think my only gripe against the mainline games have been the lack of content.

Dremark

Banned
I don't feel it's the best, but the game plays well and I see nothing wrong with someone preferring it over other fighting games.

It's a solid fighting game, just not my personal preference.

my first foray into doa was on dreamcast/xbox.

and while my interest in 3d fighters had waned after tekken 3, i could tell DoA mechanics were amazingly smooth and elaborate.

sure some people have an issue with the presentation, but you'd be hard to deny the game's mechanics aren't some of the most solid in the 3D fighting area.

Hubb

The community on PS4 is not very active since forever.

What name so? Maybe if you are playing "off hours" it isn't very active but anytime I try to play I can always find people. According to my order history I bought the game September 18th and I got my trophy for 100 fights September 27th.

The game isn't was what it was on release, but I'd call it active. Specially when you compare it to other niche fighters.

Top Bottom