• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DoA5 is my favorite fighting game ever, and not for the reason you're thinking.

Griss

I like it because of the boobs.

After nearly two years of trying to get into it I just can't get a hold of the hold system. Not only do I seem to mess up the inputs but I also hold the wrong height and direction always. It seems to be more about predicting your enemy than reacting to their actions. And it's hard to predict anyone's actions when they have about a 100 different moves to choose from. It's like nothing I've learned from Third Strike and P4U applies here.

I just mash with Momiji or Nyotengu and enjoy the visuals. Jacky is awesome too but didn't like his moveset when I tried him out when he was free on Core Fighters.

It is more about predicting your enemies next move for the vast majority of us, but it makes perfect sense. The mistake beginners to DoA make is that they try to hold everything, rather than just holding when they know what's coming next in a string. At first you should block and barely hold at all, then when you get a sense of
a) The character you're playing against and their strings/combos, and
b) The player you're playing against and their tendancies

THEN it's time to start holding - during their strings. Once they start a string they have very few options, and you'll know what they are. If you feel confident about what they'll do next just block the first two inputs then hold the third (or something similar). Then the other guy realises you know what he's up to so the next time he breaks his string and grabs you out of your hold... and suddenly you're really in each other's heads. And also it suddenly becomes important to know your character's lesser-used strings/combos so you can switch things up. And more important to know the OTHER character's lesser known strings/combos... and so on forever.

I don't know, I find it great fun.

One thing you can say about it is you'll never lose a match because you weren't able to do some finicky input.

EDIT: My only complaint about DoA5 is that the visuals are a downgrade from the stunning DoA4 in almost all areas but the characters (and in particular their amazing faces). The backgrounds are really, really poorly textured and the stages (especially in Vanilla) were mostly dull as ditchwater. The music is pretty poor too, I switch it over to DoA2/3/4 music in the menus.

Z3M0G

DoA has always been my favorite 3D fighter... and that's thanks to the controls, the interactive environments, etc.

How the girls look is just a very very nice bonus.

If the game didn't play well, and was fun, I don't think it would be successful no matter how good the characters looked...

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
DOA5 was a fun fighting game ruined by all of the pandering IMO. The pervy screen after you win a match where you look at the defeated opponent from different angles made me realize that the fighting part is kind of an afterthought for KT. If it were up to them we would only have the beach volleyball games.

Griss

DOA5 was a fun fighting game ruined by all of the pandering IMO. The pervy screen after you win a match where you look at the defeated opponent from different angles made me realize that the fighting part is kind of an afterthought for KT. If it were up to them we would only have the beach volleyball games.

You never look at the defeated opponent from all angles. That doesn't happen.

If you win, you get a celebratory pose from your character or tag pairing, none of which are lewd. If you lose, your character (male or female) drops to the floor in exhaustion and disappointment. Some of those poses for the girls are designed to show cleavage, but that's about it. If you're wearing a normal outfit there's nothing particularly weird about any of it.

Setsuna

But that has nothing to do with the fighting mechanics

My first time playing DoA was on Dreamcast. I always enjoyed the series but Virtua Fighter is above imo in term of perfect gameplay (responsiveness, timing, animation, impact rendering etc.).

This said DoA was really impressive with the destructible environments, the different places you could fight in a same stage and the tag moves.

I really should put more time in fighting games... This genre is so awesome.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DOA5LR would be perfect if it had better netcode. That's really my only complaint about it (and it's kind of a big one). The way that KT handled the F2P Core Fighters version of the game should also be commended.

Arklite

Chû Totoro;186636521 said:
My first time playing DoA was on Dreamcast. I always enjoyed the series but Virtua Fighter is above imo in term of perfect gameplay (responsiveness, timing, animation, impact rendering etc.).

This said DoA was really impressive with the destructible environments, the different places you could fight in a same stage and the tag moves.

I really should put more time in fighting games... This genre is so awesome.

From what I've seen of the older games they seem to have very impressive looking stages, many of them with more multilevel options than in 5. DOA5 seems really bland in environment by comparison and is something I hope DOA6 improves on.

I really liked DOA 1(Saturn), 2, and 3. Ever since, though, I've found myself less taken with each new installment. I dunno, 2 Ultimate was the last really fun one for me, but I'm not sure why. I guess I'll revisit it sometime.

DoA5 is my favorite 3d fighter too. Everything, from movement, the triangle system, impact, combos system, and stage interaction feels sublime. It's a true gem in the limited world of 3d fighters.
Sorry, but IMO, it was. An unbalanced, near-broken mess.

It became a hold contest. Holds caused absurd amounts of damage, and some of the guaranteed combos off them were almost game-breaking.
Fucking DoA4 is a mess in nearly every single way. Way to break the triangle system Itagaki.
Never forget the good preview build. Why Itagaki changed it after the preview build that was well received? ;___;
The preview build was so good. I'm so glad Itagaki's gone from Tecmo.

Skilletor

So everything leading up to the defeat of your opponent and this made up scenario in your head, because it doesn't happen, is irrelevant because of a loss screen. Everything else, all of the characters, the mechanics, the stages, the music, IS AN AFTERTHOUGHT because the characters, when they lose, have a loss pose. All of the characters.

Sounds legit.

Man, you could have chosen so many other things for pandering in this series. That you chose one that doesn't happen says much.

DOA5LR would be perfect if it had better netcode. That's really my only complaint about it (and it's kind of a big one). The way that KT handled the F2P Core Fighters version of the game should also be commended.

Yeah, shit netcode is a huge deal. I love the series, but I can't play DoA5 with people because nobody plays it locally and the netcode sucks. I've played in the GAF lobbies a couple times, and it's cool playing with gaffers, but it's frustrating playing with bad netcode. :(

I've always loved the DOA series for its fast load times. I wish other fighting games could jump on board. *coughTTT2cough*

Kinyou

DoA has always been my favorite fighter. It just has the right amount of accessibility and depths for me. The whole counter system also adds a nice meta game to the whole fight.

Yeah, shit netcode is a huge deal. I love the series, but I can't play DoA5 with people because nobody plays it locally and the netcode sucks. I've played in the GAF lobbies a couple times, and it's cool playing with gaffers, but it's frustrating playing with bad netcode. :(

DoA5's netcode is considered bad?
I've only play it at a casual level with my friend, but we felt it was pretty good.

Skilletor

『Inaba Resident』;186637907 said:
I've only play it at a casual level with my friend, but we felt it was pretty good.

It's awful. If you're just playing casually you might not notice that you can't punish, hold, or block things. Definitely the worst netcode in any of the 3D fighters out now (Tekken, SC, VF, DoA). And by a large margin.

How is the PC version? Hoping for a STEAM holiday sale.

barebones port that's barely supported by TK. Only worth it if you can get it on sell.

Runs on a toaster, though, so that's great. It's awesome to see the game with great IQ, but since it's a port of the ps3 version and not ps4, it's missing some graphical features, and now a lot of the costumes are worse off for that.

Hubb

It can be good, the problem is it's inconsistent. Match up with a 5 and get into the fight with them being a 1 and so on.

I don't think people would assme you like it for the girls. I think liking it for the girls is a bit silly honestly but I do prefer Tekken and many other fighters more than DOA

As far as 3d fightersr go DOA is well below

SC
Tekken
VF

I put DOA above SC. I mean if you want to have a weapons based fighting game then make it feel like one. There's barely any clashing of weapons or parrying. Do something like Bushido Blade from back in the day. SC is just Tekken with weapons and less interesting characters.

Skelter

Banned
I consider it the best fighting game until now. It's more Virtua Fighter (the true king) than the other games now.

What do you think?

Why is this not the first thing people would think of? Yeah, boobs but the gameplay itself is strong and I love the reversal system.

I see a lot are talking about the bad netcode and it is true, i hope DOA6 if it comes one day makes online great this time around especially in a day and age where online is super important or your game fails.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I quite enjoyed DOA3 & DOA2U, but maybe it's because it was easier.

Huh? DoA5 is just as easy, outside of the critical burst mechanics.

Does it support ps3 sticks by chance?

PS3: Yes. PS4: No, since it doesn't have the driver. PC: Toss-up. Yes, but only with work arounds.

Yes, easily. When 5 bars are actually 1 bar: That's bad.

It also pales in comparison to DOA2U's where if players lag the game would slowdown "lag" itself to let both players have the same reaction speed. DOA4 (and by proxy 5) did away with that and IMO DOA2U's netcode is still the BEST of any fighting game. Blows my mind Itagaki and company didn't copy-paste that from the OG X-box Live.

I prefer Virtua Fighter, but Dead or Alive has certainly become great.

When I get a PS4, I intend to play it and learn it more than I already have, which is not very deeply.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
SC is just Tekken with weapons and less interesting characters.

3.png

cireza

Love it too. Amazing game.

I spend hours fighting against the computer. I select Random characters for both, and Random background. After each fight, I select Fight Again of course, and everything is shuffled in no time. That's a lot of fun.

The gameplay is very close to Virtua Fighter, but much more accessible. This is why you can easily play any character once that you got all the basics of the game.

And visually, I still find the game very very good.

I play this with a Fighting Commander 4, and use the exact same layout as for Virtua Fighter. Perfection.

Demoskinos

DOA 5 is fucking sublime to play. Its just so smooth in how it controls. And I've always been a fan of the triangle system of Holds>Strikes>Throws

I've been thinking about picking up Last Round for a bit. I've never played a DOA game but I've had a real craving for a good 3D fighter lately. The lack of Virtua Fighter on current gen systems is a real crime.

system11

I have to agree with the OP, it feels lovely to play, everything is near perfect and it looks fantastic too. 2D games kind of left me behind in their rush to be more and more complex, flashier, faster. The anime ones I can't even tell wtf is going on anymore. SF I can follow but the movement feels so restrictive now and frankly - chip damage and projectiles can go to hell. I used to like Tekken but it seemed to lose its way pretty badly.

If anyone is even slightly curious I would urge you to try out the Core Fighters version, it's free - what do you have to lose?

kagamin

I always found DOA really easy to get in versus other fighting games, I enjoyed playing DOA2U a lot (and DOA Online PC on private servers by extension) and really felt like DOA5 was a step in the right direction for the series.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
It's a good game. Has some flaws but still good nonetheless.

People should definitely pick it up. 3D fighters need all the support they can get.

Yeah DOA has always felt like the most fluid fighter to me since the dreamcast days. There's something about playing defense and making your opponent do exactly what you want that's extra satisfying. The stages were also pure spectacle which kept us playing for a good while.

I love most fighting games since it's one of my favorite genres but DOA always held a special place in my corazon next to Virtua Fighter.

Plus Leifang's buttery expert holds keep me coming back haha.

Monocle

Tekken's input style where each limb corresponds to a face button always felt completely right to me. The inputs are like a diagram for the limbs and movements involved in each attack. The standard uppercut, for example, is down/forward+2, because your character ducks down and forward and hits with their right hand. More complex motions are the same way. A Wind Godfist is forward, down, down/forward+2 because the wavedash before the strike is a more exaggerated rolling ducking motion than a regular uppercut. The control scheme is so intuitive that you have a fair chance of guessing a move's input just by looking at it.

In Tekken, every movement and hit has weight and impact. And the movement is very smooth when you know what you're doing. People who call Tekken stiff haven't learned to play it properly. You've got to get into dash canceling (the most basic type being forward dash into sidestep) and character-specific movement options. If you watch a match between experienced players, you'll see how they almost dance around each other.

The OP does bring up a lot of good points about DOA5. The sense of fluidity is great, and the presentation is top notch too, with the environmental effects as well as the sweat and dust that collects on the characters. The biggest thing for me is that DOA5's updated art style is absolutely stunning. The faces are incredible, especially the female characters'. It would be great if the models resembled Soul Calibur's a little more, with more realistic anatomy.

I could never get into Virtua Fighter. The physics are so floaty and there's such a weak sense of impact. You slam a character down and they kind of flop over with a cartoonish -WHUMP!- The animations and visual and audio effects just don't give the same visceral feedback that Tekken's do. Aside from that, the control scheme is unintuitive and overly complicated. I've made four or five serious attempts to get into VF, and I just can't. It doesn't feel right, look right, or sound right. It's so weird to see people rank it above Tekken.

DOA is like Virtua Fighter lite. Much more accessible, with more emphasis on presentation since a huge selling point is the sexy characters. As a technical fighter, VF has the advantage, but I'd rather play DOA any day. Its physics aren't fantastic but they're a clear cut above VF's, and the inputs aren't complicated for the sake of being complicated. It's a much more enjoyable series overall.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why would i think tits is the main reason to hold DOA in high regard?

If anyone has ever remotely played DOA before, they would understand that the mechanics of the game are just fun, and the fan-service is the bonus.

Its up there with the other brand fighting franchises like Tekken, SC, ect

A.E Suggs

I don't think people would assme you like it for the girls. I think liking it for the girls is a bit silly honestly but I do prefer Tekken and many other fighters more than DOA

As far as 3d fightersr go DOA is well below

SC
Tekken
VF

Why is that silly? Its only silly if you ignore the great gameplay it has as well.

I feel like DoA's fighting system has been underrated since DoA2U on the original Xbox. They tightened up the counter windows (and have been tightening them since), and it reduced the mashiness a ton.

I like DoA a ton, to be honest. Own 5, but never played it much because of SF4. I should jump back in. I used to own with Hitomi.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It feels so much smoother than Tekken. It's probably right behind Soul Calibur for me. I think it needs more cool looking guy characters, because these two are my favorite:

doa5u_ein_thumb.jpg

character_header_brad.jpg

The music is also amazing and full of adrenaline - very "clean" sounding, much like the way the rest of the game is presented.

Fallen Leaves

Purity

Vigaku

Turn on the Lights

I know this is going to be a hugely unpopular opinion, but I wish the series toned down the sexualization and had more "cool" characters. Kasumi and Hitomi are very pretty people but are a badass ninja and fighter on their own, and they look good especially in their normal outfits. Hitomi in particular is the perfect way to design a cool looking female.

DoA does a great job of being cinematic (with grabs, counters, and knocking people through the map into a new area) without compromising the core gameplay. Other fighters like Tekken, SC, and Mortal Combat tried to also be more cinematic but it always felt like it was getting in the way of the gameplay.

Top Bottom