• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

johnny956

Sure, I'll help you out!

Hello everybody! NPD_George aka. the nefarious NDP_Mulcair back once again!

I've only now just read through this burgeoning NeoGAF thread.

Since I made that comment it appears that some people have replied to me and said that ZhugeEx is actually a cool guy.

Sorry ZhugeEx! I misinterpreted what people were saying! I thought people were saying you were a phony, but apparently I was mistaken. I'm very ignorant of who's who around here, and who to avoid as phony, so please forgive me as I go through this learning process.

I'm currently at work on a lunch break so I can't type anything else until a bit later, but I'd like to have the opportunity to talk about Call of Duty: Black Ops III.

It performed much better than I expected! With increasing digital share I certainly didn't think that Call of Duty would be UP year-over-year, but Activision Blizzard continues to surprise me.

To be fair, Activision Blizzard (the publisher) did have -3% lower retail sales from November 2014, but I digress!

Including bundle units, the flagship 'Call of Duty: Black Ops 3' skyrocketed ahead its next-largest competitor with a whopping 4.89 million units including bundles, or 4.607 million units when you just look at the software side of things.

This is according to data from The NPD Group's U.S. Games Industry (New Physical Sales Channel) report that it released yesterday.

In November 2014 'Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare' sold only 4.66 million units including bundle sales or 4.269 million units of software, so the fact that there is positive growth for the Call of Duty franchise in packaged retail despite a higher digital share is fantastic news for Activision Blizzard shareholders and the retail maker in general.

And, it skyrocketed above the 2nd most successful software in the 'Top 10' list, Fallout 4.

Let's talk about Fallout 4 in comparison.

Bethesda Softworks's 'Fallout 4' sold 2.54 million unit sales including bundle sales, which sold below than November 2011's last marquee Bethesda release 'The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim' which managed 2.833 million in November 2011 when you combine the normal and COLLECTOR'S ED SKU.

Although please keep in mind that the digital share for Bethesda titles is likely might higher than in November 2011, so when factoring digital offset, Fallout 4 probably debuted above its predecessor.

I love NPD_George aka. the nefarious NDP_Mulcair. His posts just crack me up in how they are worded. Not sure how to describe it, maybe dry?

aside from BB you can get the other games on the competing platform and BB is similar to 1 more game on other platforms, my point was, we yet dont have uncharted 4 or a new god of war or a great killzone, things that you would think will pull people in, i dont know, it just seems crazy to me how incredibly good the ps4 is selling, it really is breaking records

The most popular games usually play better on PS4 than Xbox. And this was the case when PS4 was cheaper than Bone, and is still the case now that the prices are even. WiiU doesn't even get the most popular games that aren't Nintendo exclusives. And Sony has a large stable of exclusives also
that don't seem to count in these discussions for whatever reason
, including one region's 3rd party console games on lock (Japan).

More factors include goodwill built up from PS3's later game releases, and a smooth launch compared to Xbox's. Then there's more aggressive pricing and deals this holiday season, with smart partnerships / bundles / marketing deals. It all adds up to crazy sales.

Lemondish

Sure, I'll help you out!

I've only now just read through this burgeoning NeoGAF thread.

Since I made that comment it appears that some people have replied to me and said that ZhugeEx is actually a cool guy.

Sorry ZhugeEx! I misinterpreted what people were saying! I thought people were saying you were a phony, but apparently I was mistaken. I'm very ignorant of who's who around here, and who to avoid as phony, so please forgive me as I go through this learning process.

I'm currently at work on a lunch break so I can't type anything else until a bit later, but I'd like to have the opportunity to talk about Call of Duty: Black Ops III.

It performed much better than I expected! With increasing digital share I certainly didn't think that Call of Duty would be UP year-over-year, but Activision Blizzard continues to surprise me.

To be fair, Activision Blizzard (the publisher) did have -3% lower retail sales from November 2014, but I digress!

Including bundle units, the flagship 'Call of Duty: Black Ops 3' skyrocketed ahead its next-largest competitor with a whopping 4.89 million units including bundles, or 4.607 million units when you just look at the software side of things.

This is according to data from The NPD Group's U.S. Games Industry (New Physical Sales Channel) report that it released yesterday.

In November 2014 'Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare' sold only 4.66 million units including bundle sales or 4.269 million units of software, so the fact that there is positive growth for the Call of Duty franchise in packaged retail despite a higher digital share is fantastic news for Activision Blizzard shareholders and the retail maker in general.

And, it skyrocketed above the 2nd most successful software in the 'Top 10' list, Fallout 4.

Let's talk about Fallout 4 in comparison.

Bethesda Softworks's 'Fallout 4' sold 2.54 million unit sales including bundle sales, which sold below than November 2011's last marquee Bethesda release 'The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim' which managed 2.833 million in November 2011 when you combine the normal and COLLECTOR'S ED SKU.

Although please keep in mind that the digital share for Bethesda titles is likely might higher than in November 2011, so when factoring digital offset, Fallout 4 probably debuted above its predecessor.

Great info, you are the hero we deserve.

Of course, I still voted for the other guy, sooooo

Awkward.

NolbertoS

Sad to see Lara Croft not in the top 10 sales. I would hope more people bought Tomb Raider digitally instead :(. I bought Tomb Raider on Xbox One, need Lara gameplay in my veins. Man, the PS4 trains isn't slowing down anytime soon. I guess all MS can do is just keep trying to ride the wave of second place till the end of this gen. Did Cream release the apple pie yet?? Need pie numberz :p

Maaaaaaan!

This thread is amazing!!!

So, 200K+ in Call of Duty PS4 Bundles. Effectively ended up getting them the decisive win over Xb1 this holiday month.

Successful Marketing partnership confirmed.

But that also means that UC Bundle and SW Bundle did so goddamn good it's insane.

There are few words to describe how Sony has hit it outside so many parks this gen with the PS4 besides "Amazing, Fantastic, Jiminy Christmas that's good"

Wow wow.

I love NPD_George aka. the nefarious NDP_Mulcair. His posts just crack me up in how they are worded. Not sure how to describe it, maybe dry?

NDP_Mulcair said:

Dr-Nick-Riviera.png

Bruno MB

First month sales:

Call of Duty: Black Ops - 8.4 million
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - 7.44 million
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - 4.89 million

teiresias

Good numbers for the platform holders this month. Worldwide numbers for PS4 must be insanity. I'm interested in who Sony has managing their manufacturing and supply-line operations nowadays, it has to be a large undertaking and they're doing a fine job this year. If Sony can keep this discipline and planning every generation (like Apple does with its product lines), then they'd be very well off moving into upcoming platform launches. Of course, console cycles see lessons-learned thrown to the wayside with amazing frequency, so I'm sure something will go wrong in the future.

I don't have any opinion on Tomb Raider since I haven't played the reboot, but I can see where Amirox is coming from - I like to play Anniversary fairly frequently because I like that style of TR.

In any event, SE really needs to discipline or jettison upper management at CD for pushing that RoTR MS deal (the developers themselves did fine given overall reception to the game). If the management of CD is going to let their development history with MS rope them into deals so horrible that even us pleebs on gaming forums can tell how horrible it will be then they have no business managing a third-party development studio any longer. Go work for an MS first-party studio if you're that enamored with Xbox and can't adjust to present market realities.

Welfare

With Advanced Warfare doing 4269k, we can apply cream's percentages from last year and get a much more accurate number.

360 ~ 29% = ~1238k
XB1 ~ 28% = ~1195k
PS4 ~ 26% = ~1110k
PS3 ~ 17% = ~726k

XB1 + Bundles = ~1586k

johnny956

Good numbers for the platform holders this month. Worldwide numbers for PS4 must be insanity. I'm interested in who Sony has managing their manufacturing and supply-line operations nowadays, it has to be a large undertaking and they're doing a fine job this year. If Sony can keep this discipline and planning every generation (like Apple does with its product lines), then they'd be very well off moving into upcoming platform launches. Of course, console cycles see lessons-learned thrown to the wayside with amazing frequency, so I'm sure something will go wrong in the future..

In the short term I wonder if Sony predicted these kind of numbers for November, if they were caught by surprise on how well it's doing there could certainly be some shortages later in December

This is insane and impressive. Sony has nailed most of their marketing this gen. They jumped on COD when everyone said it was dead, but blops3 got monster sales, and they aligned themselves with star wars when hype for star wars is peaking. They got the uncharted collection rolling with bundles. Everybday, I am more convinced that Sony purposefully delayed UC4. Or. They had some great lucky bounce, because many of the new ps owners who never played uncharted will play it and that just means fore UC4 sales.

PS4 train is steam rolling everyone andoes everything in its sight. What will it look like when first party starts rolling in with uc4, when the new GOW comes out, and when the new gran turismo is released?

Elandyll

Banned

In any event, SE really needs to discipline or jettison upper management at CD for pushing that RoTR MS deal (the developers themselves did fine given overall reception to the game). If the management of CD is going to let their development history with MS rope them into deals so horrible that even us pleebs on gaming forums can tell how horrible it will be then they have no business managing a third-party development studio any longer. Go work for an MS first-party studio if you're that enamored with Xbox and can't adjust to present market realities.
Wowowow... hold on man.

I believe that I may be the one (or one among others) who made this theory public on Gaf a few weeks ago, supported by public claims of close ties to MS by CD management (all the way back to TR Underworld).
But in the end it's just a theoretical scenario that I find likely, but far from a fact, and we should be carreful to not present it that way, unless you have infos that I do not.

For reference, I originally linked this article, but there were others:

http://www.destructoid.com/crystal-...hip-with-microsoft-began-in-2008-288147.phtml

teiresias

Now that's my kind of discipline!!!

Wowowow... hold on man.

I believe that I may be the one (or one among others) who made this theory public on Gaf a few weeks ago, supported by public claims of close ties to MS by CD management (all the way back to TR Underworld).
But in the end it's just a theoretical scenario that I find likely, but far from a fact, and we should be carreful to not present it that way, unless you have infos that I do not.

http://www.destructoid.com/crystal-...hip-with-microsoft-began-in-2008-288147.phtml

I was mainly going by that information others on the forum, so it may be wrong. Regardless of the particulars though, this was an absolutely horrible deal to be made, and the fact that a third grader could tell how bad it was going to be only speaks volumes on how myopic the decision to move forward with it was. Whoever made this decision has bombed the second game in a rebooted IP, and to make matters worse, the release schedule moving forward gives them no good window to release it on more platforms and get the exposure the game actually needed, which mains the decision maker has potentially thrown the IP itself in the trash. I can't imagine there won't be consequences.

dolemite

Wowowow... hold on man.

Too late. The upper management of CD has already been hanged.

Kyoufu

Wait Halo 5 sold around 1.5 million in 1 month? Where are people getting these ridiculous numbers? You think it went from 3.5 million in 1 day with 4 to 1.5 in 4 weeks with 5?

I just want MS to release real numbers so people can stop with this nonsense. I remember one guy told me H5 sold 800k in US in its first week. Absolutely ridiculous.

I got my numbers wrong. Halo 5 actually sold 935k in its first month.

A few factors to consider why it saw a dramatic decrease in sales from previous Halo titles:

1) Halo 4 was a disaster. The online multi-player player base dropped like a rock as it wasn't very good which put a sour taste in the community's mouths.

2) Bungie released Destiny which took a lot of old Bungie Halo fans.

3) Master Chief Collection was an absolute mess and did a lot of harm to the brand. I imagine 343i lost a lot of trust by now.

johnny956

They got the uncharted collection rolling with bundles. Everybday, I am more convinced that Sony purposefully delayed UC4. Or. They had some great lucky bounce, because many of the new ps owners who never played uncharted will play it and that just means fore UC4 sales.

I'm thinking as soon as they were confident Bluepoint would get Uncharted Collection out this fall they delayed Uncharted 4 because the holidays were just too crowded and Naughty Dog proved with Last of Us they did't need to release in the holidays for it to be a huge seller. The Uncharted Collection PS4 bundle is just perfect especially for those new to Playstation

MisterR

I'm thinking as soon as they were confident Bluepoint would get Uncharted Collection out this fall they delayed Uncharted 4 because the holidays were just too crowded and Naughty Dog proved with Last of Us they did't need to release in the holidays for it to be a huge seller. The Uncharted Collection PS4 bundle is just perfect especially for those new to Playstation

I think it will pay off big for Uncharted 4 as well. Introducing lots of new players to the series

Wowowow... hold on man.

I've heard the same from elsewhere, weeks ago, and months before that about the deal the person i know said not to be surprised if the bolded happens, If his claim comes true, then i'll put more credence into what he's said, until then, its nice info to have but not double sourced.

Apathy

Wait people actually believe this? The game isn't ready. Even at psx they mentioned how they are working on it and might be some extra vo passover from Nolan. It's not about delaying it because November was packed is because if they didn't delay it we'd have an incomplete game.

Top Bottom