• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Tempest new screens

king zell

image01.gif
image02.gif
image03.gif

image04.gif
image05.gif
image06.gif

image07.gif
image08.gif
image09.gif

image10.gif
image11.gif
image12.gif

image13.gif
image14.gif
image15.gif

image16.gif
image17.gif

camp1b.jpg
camp2b.jpg

PolyGone

Banned
they should have character portraits in the bottom screen when characters are talking... looking kind of bare... otherwise pretty awesome overall for ds

The screens are so small. :/ Oh well. Looks good. I wonder if Namco will bother to make another Tales game for the DS.

The fire in the last pics... :lol

PolyGone said:
they should have character portraits in the bottom screen when characters are talking... looking kind of bare... otherwise pretty awesome overall for ds

That's actually a great idea.

ethelred

Chris Michael said:
The screens are so small. :/ Oh well. Looks good. I wonder if Namco will bother to make another Tales game for the DS.

I imagine that depends upon how the first one sells.

The answer is "No."

EBCubs03

Banned
Text bubbles mean that person is talking right? I guess that means no voice work. Looks kinda weird too, with nothing inside..

PolyGone

Banned
EBCubs03 said:
Text bubbles mean that person is talking right? I guess that means no voice work. Looks kinda weird too, with nothing inside..

expecting a bit much to have full voice acting in a ds rpg, no?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
amazing how good it looks when low res pics. luckily they're about the same size as the DS screen, so it shows how it'll look on it. I really hope this comes to the US.

Sagitario

What's this?
tot46.jpg

Battle System: 3 lines?
tot37.jpg

So... will it be like Tales of Rebirth or at least similar?

tot42.jpg

This looks particularly good...

I hope it gets released here... :) (c'mon Nintendo)...

Nice graphics.
I'm glad to see some 3rd parties start to show good graphic engines on DS. First S-E, now BandaiNamco.
Who's the next?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
looks great

but that blue screen in the upper screen looks 'ugh' worthy, put some nice art there!

(I'm here....)

tot42.jpg

Extremely awesome

Just wait for videos to show action battles and we shall proclaim a winner in the FF3 vs TOT battle. DQM, Zelda, Chocobo beware...TOT is here :)

Farore, thats a fanbook that you get pre-ordering and this for the card...and its normal ds price 5040Y!
tot47.jpg

The battle system is indeeed rebirth's 3 lines but with some tweaks (and only 3 characters). For example we saw that you can attack monsters in another line than yours...
tot23.jpg

Battle skills looks flashy flashy as they have to be...overworld seems to have improved too:
tot40.jpg
tot33.jpg

Oh, the pixelated fire...should be moving so it looks bad in a pic but I hope better when animating. I hope the battles are 60fps (should be...), 30fps maps and probably 5fps overworld.

There is VA. We had the names in the last scans. But probably they'll voice battle skills...maybe something more if they can get more than the opening FMV.

Edit: About the team behind...uhm, Team Destiny are behind Tales of Destiny remake, Alfa Systems is with ToW, the port team is porting ToP and ToD2...I don't think Team Symphonia is behind this, looks like another Namco Internal Team.

I was translating a little from the article...
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060825/tot.htm

The new skit system is the camp. It seems to be done in the overworld, both optional and obligated ones.

Then they put some skills for each character, the usual sword skills and animal conversion for the main character, the red-hair girl has spread and such, forest has axe skills, the blonde-girl nurse and such...

tot25.jpg

This town is where Caius and his foster-father lived but after some incidents, Caius has to travel the world.

tot36.jpg

This is the Black Forest where they meet Forest (rofl) and Tilkis, it seems they join forces here.

tot42.jpg
tot43.jpg

Naliss and Janna are two big cities (compared to Caius' village).

Ok, well...this was really just a bump :)

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Whoooooaa at the graphics. DS has a nice 3D chip.

I hope we get more effort from third parties.

Now, where's Capcom?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not bad looking.

I'm almost interested in this, but I have a feeling it won't play anywhere near as well as the better games in the series and will lack voices. I hope it turns out, though. I might have to jump on it.

This looks sweet. I hope Nintendo pays for it in order to trick Hometek into bringing it over!

Looking at these new shots confirms my previous conclusion that it's not quite as nice as FFIII, but still quite nice graphics from the DS and it looked pretty smooth in the one preview video they released so far.

Ichirou

Banned
The text screen looks really bare, putting the character portraits up there sounds like such a logical choice, I'm surprised that Namco didn't think of it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
jarrod said:
No really, on any handheld... actually though, I think I like DQMJ a little better.
Yeah, DQM is starting to shape up nicely, looks better than before. If it really is released in October with this game then this game might be overlooked.

Brave Story PSP looks better than all these games though.

dark10x

jarrod said:
No really, on any handheld... actually though, I think I like DQMJ a little better.
Not...really.

There are a number of RPGs on PSP that look quite a bit better than this (including a few of low quality). Brave Story looks much better than this and the (long off) FFVII spin-off title Crisis Core looks damn near as good as Kingdom Hearts 2 on PS2.

This looks great for a DS game, but it's still not even close to even Dreamcast levels of quality.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
There are a number of RPGs on PSP that look quite a bit better than this (including a few of low quality). Brave Story looks much better than this and the (long off) FFVII spin-off title Crisis Core looks damn near as good as Kingdom Hearts 2 on PS2.
Again, Brave Story isn't 3rd party and Crisis Core isn't even an RPG.

dark10x said:
This looks great for a DS game, but it's still not even close to even Dreamcast levels of quality.
No it isn't, yet it still overall looks better than any 3rd party PSP RPG. I guess Tales of the World PSP might look better (though it too looks sub-Dreamcast) but that's really more a focused fanservice dungeon crawl.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
what is going on in ds rpg threads lately? :lol

what's that shitty psp rpg that came out a while back? blade dancer? well, it looks like a bad dreamcast game. which puts it definitively beyond ds's ken. not that "BEST-LOOKING THIRD-PARTY NON-ACTION RPG ON A HANDHELD" is an honor much to be coveted. good lord. why not limit it to rpgs in which the female lead is wearing a flower in lieu of pants.

jarrod

Banned
drohne said:
what is going on in ds rpg threads lately? :lol

what's that shitty psp rpg that came out a while back? blade dancer? well, it looks like a bad dreamcast game. which puts it definitively beyond ds's ken. not that "BEST-LOOKING THIRD-PARTY NON-ACTION RPG ON A HANDHELD" is an honor much to be coveted. good lord. why not limit it to rpgs in which the female lead is wearing a flower in lieu of pants.

cork-pop.jpg

dark10x

jarrod, even shitty games like Blade Dancer and Tenchi no Mon (which looks great, actually) look better.

If you're just going to exclude everything, how can we make comparisons?

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
jarrod, even shitty games like Blade Dancer and Tenchi no Mon (which looks great, actually) look better.

If you're just going to exclude everything, how can we make comparisons?
There's actually plenty of actual 3rd party PSP RPGs on market (Legend of Heroes, Tales of Eternia, Astonisha Story, etc)... just nothing that stacks up to Tales of the Tempest, Final Fantasy III or Dragon Quest Monsters Joker though.

Clearly this isn't a hardware issue, rather it seems to be a developer issue. The only high end PSP RPGs we seem to be getting are coming from SCEI rather than 3rd parties...

dark10x

jarrod said:
There's actually plenty of actual 3rd party PSP RPGs on market (Legend of Heroes, Tales of Eternia, Astonisha Story, etc)... just nothing that stacks up to Tales of the Tempest, Final Fantasy III or Dragon Quest Monsters Joker though.

Clearly this isn't a hardware issue, rather it seems to be a developer issue. The only high end PSP RPGs we seem to be getting are coming from SCEI rather than 3rd parties...
Tales of Eternia could be argued, as the 2D visuals are very nice looking and more attractive than the rough DS 3D. Legend of Heroes looks better too, actually (and the upcoming port of the LoHVI looks MUCH better). I don't even know what Astonisha Story is, however.

It's nice that Falcom themselves is finally doing some PSP ports. The port of Gurumin, for instance, is really nice. It looks suprisingly close to the PC version and plays great.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Tales of Eternia could be argued, as the 2D visuals are very nice looking and more attractive than the rough DS 3D. Legend of Heroes looks better too, actually (and the upcoming port of the LoHVI looks MUCH better). I don't even know what Astonisha Story is, however.

It's nice that Falcom themselves is finally doing some PSP ports. The port of Gurumin, for instance, is really nice. It looks suprisingly close to the PC version and plays great.
Falcom's upcoming LOH6 port is actually probably the first 3rd party PSP that stacks up to the DS' best. Gurumin again though, is an ARPG/adventure game.

Bandai's LOH "translations" look like shit in comparison though, they're more like early SS/PS1 efforts visually. Astonisha Story is an PC/GP32 port btw.

Looks great, I like what I see. Camp fire skits? Lol, interesting...

Caius skills are nothing original so far, save for the Juujinka one, meh, I think Forest or Tilkis might be my main character for use in this game.

kurosaki Ichigo said:
The battle system is indeeed rebirth's 3 lines but with some tweaks (and only 3 characters). For example we saw that you can attack monsters in another line than yours...

Plus this is actually using the traditional TP system, so no signs of the Rebirth Force Gauge/Rush Gauge system here...

Jiggy

I really don't like this cast of characters, but the game's looking good.
I want a 2D Tales on DS in the future, though. It could look amazing, probably way better than this if done right.

Amir0x

Banned
Seriously jarrod, stop being high. Pixel pixel crap and horrific geometry gussied over with celshading does not look better than the vast majority of PSP RPGs. Now, gameplay wise you'd certainly have a case - most PSP RPGs so far are crap - but uh, visually you be smokin' teh rad hashish man. Put that shit down.

Amir0x said:
Seriously jarrod, stop being high. Pixel pixel crap and horrific geometry gussied over with celshading does not look better than the vast majority of PSP RPGs. Now, gameplay wise you'd certainly have a case - most PSP RPGs so far are crap - but uh, visually you be smokin' teh rad hashish man. Put that shit down.

Actually, I'm with jarrod on this too. Aside from Monster Kingdom, most PSP RPGs just look strangely unappealing to me, I prefer the more vibrant looks of Tales of the Tempest and Dragon Quest Monsters.

Jiggy37 said:
I really don't like this cast of characters, but the game's looking good.
I want a 2D Tales on DS in the future, though. It could look amazing, probably way better than this if done right.

How much about the character do you know to form such a strong opinion about them? Or are you talking about just their looks?

Amir0x

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Actually, I'm with jarrod on this too. Aside from Monster Kingdom, most PSP RPGs just look strangely unappealing to me, I prefer the more vibrant looks of Tales of the Tempest and Dragon Quest Monsters.

I don't care if you're with jarrod or not. Unless you're blind, visually and technically most PSP RPGs are in the next stratosphere. DS 3D RPGs are like the 600lb broad that is wearin' makeup. She tryin' her best, but she is still a ****ing elephant. Similarly, DS atrocious 3D comes out at every corner - rooted so firmly in the N64 era that any devs best bet is to try to paint it over with some rudimentary cel-shading technique. COLORS. Please don't look at the pixels :(

And no, I don't care about vague-ities like "appeal" - because that's just a veil to hide behind the truth.

Amir0x said:
I don't care if you're with jarrod or not. Unless you're blind, visually and technically most PSP RPGs are in the next stratosphere. DS 3D RPGs are like the 600lb broad that is wearin' makeup. She tryin' her best, but she is still a ****ing elephant. Similarly, DS atrocious 3D comes out at every corner - rooted so firmly in the N64 era that any devs best bet is to try to paint it over with some rudimentary cel-shading technique. COLORS. Please don't look at the pixels :(

And no, I don't care about vague-ities like "appeal" - because that's just a veil to hide behind the truth.

You think strongly worded posts like this is suddenly going to make me think: "OMG I'm so blind!?!" Well, think again. Not everyone holds their standards for visual appeal the same way you do. Technically, I'm pretty sure most PSP game have the edge, but that's not the way I see looks; I CAN tolerate a few pixels if the art and overall look is appealing over something that just looks odd, flat and uninspired. You either accept that or not, but don't tell me I'm blind because I disagree with you, that's pretty petty.

Top Bottom