• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You are tasked to make Super The Force Awakens 16-bit style (SPOILERS)

A 2D 16-bit style action platformer based around Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens. In the vein of the SNES classics.

How would you do it?

See, I would go...

--- SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS-SPOILERS ---

I'm just going to spoiler tag mine. But you don't have to. I figure if you haven't seen the movie yet, then you probably shouldn't be here.

Level 1 -
Poe outside the village shooting Stormtroopers. Boss would be Kylo Ren, but he's undefeatable, It's a recurring story thing.
Level 2 -
Rey on her space bike dodging and/or shooting things Mode-7 style. I just realised she doesn't have a gun for most of the movie, but let's say her speeder has a gun.
Level 3 -
A sand level where Rey fights scavengers trying to get BB-8. Boss would be a scavenger on that armoured creature. Rey still has no gun, so she's doing Jedi flips with her staff.
Level 4 -
Finn escapes from the Star Destroyer. He has a gun and shoots Stormtroopers.
Level 5 -
Mode-7 TIE Fighter level where you shoot turrets.
Level 6 -
Rey beats up goons in the market. Boss is some creature that is made up for this level.
Level 7 -
Mode-7 Millenium Falcon level where you shoot TIE Fighters.
Level 8 -
Han Solo on the ship shooting gangs. Boss is a rathtar.
Level 9 -
Finn on Takodana lightsabering Stormtroopers. Boss is TR-8R. Short level.
Level 10 -
Rey shooting Stormtroopers in the forest. Boss is undefeatable Kylo Ren. Short level. 9 & 10 together are about the same length as one standard level.
Level 11 -
Mode 7 level in Poe's X-Wing.
Level 12 -
Finn level in Starkiller Base. Boss is Captain Phasma.
Level 13 -
Han level in the oscillator. Boss is undefeatable Kylo Ren.
Level 14 -
Rey fights defeatable Kylo Ren. Finn getting beaten by Ren is a cutscene.
Level 15 -
Mode 7 X-Wing level where you have to blow up the oscillator. Game ends here.

I feel like The Force Awakens would make for a very Mode 7 stage heavy game. I haven't played the Super Star Wars games in a while, so I don't remember the balance between that and regular platforming.

Aw, no comments? This was pretty good, haha. I think the games only had one or two Mode 7 levels per game though.

Personally I'd add more made up boss encounters and fewer Kylo fights. The best part of those games were the wildly extrapolated boss creatures, like a giant womprat.

Pandy

Nice idea. :)

A bit heavy on the Mode 7 stuff, could probably have side-scrolling shoot-'em-up stages for the Millenium Falcon and Tie Fighter flying bits instead.

Here's my wallet, take my money. Did you include incredible voice samples that you can batter in the options menu?

Edit - you need two mode 7 levels at most really, one early and one late. Maybe one in the middle if there's a convincing need, but it could also be a shooting gallery level a la the asteroid field.

Also edit: getting a lightsaber requires a level of its own, and needs to be an event. Presumably takes place in a level that spans Maz's cantina, and basement.

Phasma needs to be a really easy mid-level boss.

Kylo Ren transforms into a scorpion, just like his gramps.

latest

Alright. Here's a tweaked version. The movie pretty much lends itself to Mode 7 gameplay. And I really liked that
TIE Fighter escape, but it's probably not needed as much as the Millennium Falcon sequence.
However, I feel that every 4 or so platforming levels, there's should be a Mode 7 level. The other games had 3 or so Mode 7 levels from what I remember.

I need to figure out power ups for Rey, especially because she just has a staff for so long.

Level 1 -
Poe outside the village shooting Stormtroopers. Boss would be Kylo Ren, but he's undefeatable, It's a recurring story thing.
Level 2 -
Rey inside the crashed Star Destroyer fighting scavengers.
Level 3 -
Rey on her speeder bike dodging and/or shooting things Mode 7 style. I just realised she doesn't have a gun for most of the movie, but let's say her speeder has a gun.
Level 4 -
A sand level where Rey fights scavengers trying to get BB-8. Boss would be a scavenger on that armoured creature. Rey still has no gun, so she's doing Jedi flips with her staff.
Level 5 -
Finn escapes from the Star Destroyer. He has a gun and shoots Stormtroopers.
Level 6 -
Rey beats up goons in the market. Boss is probably the giant pig nosed creature.
Level 7 -
Mode 7 Millennium Falcon level on Jakku where you shoot TIE Fighters.
Level 8 -
Han Solo on the ship shooting gangs. Boss is a rathtar.
Level 9 -
Han Solo on Takodana shooting Stormtroopers.
Level 10 -
Finn on Takodana lightsabering Stormtroopers. Boss is TR-8R.
Level 11 -
Rey shooting Stormtroopers in the forest. Boss is undefeatable Kylo Ren.
Level 12 -
Mode 7 Poe's X-Wing level on Takodana shooting TIE Fighters.
Level 13 -
Finn level in Starkiller Base. Boss is Captain Phasma.
Level 14 -
Han Solo level in the oscillator. Boss is some nuclear reactor thing from a shmup that shoots lasers. He gets killed by Ren in a cut scene.
Level 15 -
Finn fights Stormtroopers in the forest with the lightsaber, because why not the SNES games made shit up too. Boss is undefeatable Kylo Ren.
Level 16 -
Mode 7 Poe's X-Wing level where you have to blow up the oscillator.
Level 17 -
Rey lightsaber fights a defeatable Kylo Ren. Lots of explosions and effects that would normally cause slowdown. Game ends here.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No Poe, Finn, or Rey.

You play as that one Stormtrooper with the electric baton and go to town on rebel scum.

Genesis exclusive. Hugely immersive action rpg. Over 60 hours of gameplay. Build loyalty throughout your anti ragtag squad of anti misfits and anti rejects. Claim the galaxy in the First Order's own glory.

Requires second cartridge to attach onto original because the game has so much content.

Lettuce

I would make sure no one got past the first level ala Super Empire Strikes Back.

Ha, not just me then who finds that level almost impossible.....this coming from a person who completed Both Super Star Wars & Super Return Of The Jedi!!

Was Super Empire Strike back supposed to be the hardest?

Neff

Ha, not just me then who finds that level almost impossible.....this coming from a person who completed Both Super Star Wars & Super Return Of The Jedi!!

Was Super Empire Strike back supposed to be the hardest?

Slippery Ice, steep slopes, erratic controls, monsters which freeze you while simultaneously causing damage/pushing you around like a hockey puck, and instant death spikes? All on the second level of the game? TSESB doesn't mess around, no.

But it's actually quite manageable once you adjust to how super-unfair and janky it is.

No tags - all spoilers.

Alright this is the final update. This is where I want it to be. I cut it down to 3 Mode 7 levels and added 2 side scrolling shooter levels. Super FX levels would run at 15-20 fps and look worse than 32X Star Wars Arcade. Now I just need Sculptured Software's e-mail.

Level 1 - Poe outside the village shooting Stormtroopers. Boss would be Kylo Ren, but he's undefeatable, It's a recurring story thing.
Level 2 - Rey inside the crashed Star Destroyer fighting scavengers.
Level 3 - A sand level where Rey fights scavengers trying to get BB-8. Boss would be a scavenger on that armoured creature. Rey still has no gun, so she's doing Jedi flips with her staff.
Level 4 - Finn escapes from the Star Destroyer. He has a gun and shoots Stormtroopers.
Level 5 - Mode 7 TIE Fighter escape level shooting up turrets and other TIE Fighters.
Level 6 - Rey beats up goons in the market. Boss is the giant pig nosed creature.
Level 7 - Side scrolling Millennium Falcon level on Jakku where you shoot TIE Fighters.
Level 8 - Han Solo on the ship shooting gangs. Boss is a rathtar.
Level 9 - Rey in the Maz's cantina going to the basement and getting Luke's lightsaber. No enemies, just trippy atmosphere.
Level 10 - Han Solo on Takodana shooting Stormtroopers.
Level 11 - Finn on Takodana lightsabering Stormtroopers. Boss is TR-8R.
Level 12 - Rey shooting Stormtroopers in the forest. Boss is undefeatable Kylo Ren.
Level 13 - Mode 7 Poe's X-Wing level on Takodana shooting TIE Fighters.
Level 14 - Finn level in Starkiller Base. Boss is Captain Phasma.
Level 15 - Han Solo level in the oscillator. Boss is some probe droid looking, nuclear reactor thing that shoots lasers. He gets killed by Ren in a cut scene.
Level 16 - Half side scrolling snowmobile shooter (partly from the novel) and half platforming level where Finn fights Stormtroopers in the snowy forest with the lightsaber, because why not. Boss is undefeatable Kylo Ren.
Level 17 - Mode 7 Poe's X-Wing level where you have to blow up the oscillator.
Level 18 - Rey lightsaber fights a defeatable Kylo Ren. Lots of explosions and effects that would normally cause slowdown but we got a custom DSP in the cart and we can charge $15 more for the game because of that and the SW license. Game ends here.

I had to Google who TR-8R is. Thanks to OP for indirectly introducing me this meme.

Now I realize how much that part should've given to Phasma instead of having 5 minutes of screen time walking in the base and then being captured like a bitch. I mean if Disney wanted her to be remembered as a badass.

Top Bottom