• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK surpasses 1 million downloads On Xbox One, daily player count bigger than on PC

Chobel

Read more here http://news.xbox.com/2015/12/29/whats-next-for-ark-survival-evolved/

ARK: Survival Evolved launched worldwide into all regions of the Xbox Game Preview Program on Dec 16, and by the end of the first week we were blown away by the Jurassic number of new players experiencing the ARK universe (and we were scrambling to put up more servers)! In under a week ARK was downloaded over 1,000,000 times and Survivors had lasted a combined 200,000 real-life days against the dinosaurs and perils of the island, including other players! There’s no question that survival games have taken the PC world by storm lately, and as the only true large-scale multiplayer survival game available on console, perhaps it comes as no surprise that ARK’s daily Xbox One player count is already bigger than on PC.

Of course just because ARK had more than one million downloads doesn't mean it has sold + 1 million. ARK is one of the game which are available through Xbox Game Preview program, and we know you can try these games for free (1 hour trial I think) before buying them. But even then, +1 million downloads is still an impressive number.

Lock if old

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As said, preview system probably helps here. Also that survival games aren't over-abundent on consoles.

But nice, ARK is a pretty good dinosaur game. It also updates a lot for an early access title.

EBreda

Seems like a very decent early access game and hopefully the finished product will deliver.

I've yet to try it but word of mouth gas been fantastic so far.

Devs must be proud!

Its a great game imo. But they have to improve the graphics and performance drasticly on XboxOne.
On top of that redesign the entire UI and HUD. Its clunky.

Playing with friends needs to be easier too.

Somnia

Very impressive!

Like the OP said, doesn't mean 1 million sold, but I bet it has a high sales rate based off how populated the servers are at all times!

RedRum

Banned
I found it difficult to get used to at first. Graphics aside, it's a fun game. Even more fun when you play it with a group of friends.

Funny to see this number after all the mocking that the Xbox One port received in the comparison thread. The actual gamers likely don't give a shit.

Happy for the developers. I will probably pick it up once they are done with the development. Not a fan of the early access system.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Damn, this new wave of survival games has really eaten DayZ's lunch.

Well it is like they just stopped working on the game.

Funny to see this number after all the mocking that the Xbox One port received in the comparison thread. The actual gamers likely don't give a shit.

Happy for the developers. I will probably pick it up once they are done with the development. Not a fan of the early access system.

You can still like a game that you know looks and runs like shit.

Justinh

I tried it out, but I don't think it's my thing so I deleted it. Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but I feel like I have enough stuff to play right now.

Good for the devs.

Trace

Banned
Good news for the devs but the game itself is shit imo.

Early access though so they have time.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. I bought it on PC but I can't stand to actually play the game, and I've played a lot of these open-world survival games.

Somnia

GAF is a place full of hardcore games, things are judged way differently here than normal. Hence games on here getting big OP's and lots of love, but then games not selling very well.

Good, I need to get around to trying it, I know it's incredibly poorly optimized so I haven't picked it up on PC but I'll play a demo for an hour and see with pretty much any game. MS really really really need to get back to the old X360 days where almost every single game had a demo, hopefully this will knock that into their skulls.

It is a really fun game. My friend has lost himself into the PC version and has sunk a few hundred hours into it. He is hopelessly addicted and I am trying not to join him with that. The only reason I haven't played more ARK is just the lack of free time.

Like the best of PC exclusive genres, the attraction is not always apparent, but the hooks are HUGE.

IMO the hooks wear thin. I've logged quite a lot of time in the PC version since it came out and whilst it's good for a time eventually the need to sit active for 8 hours+ whilst you tame an artificial pet really gets too much. There's a great game to be found in there but the number inflation has been progressively killing it for me personally.

I actually preferred stat balance back at launch with the level 30 limit on dinos since nothing was crazy OP and tames were reasonably time wise. It made fighting with other tribes a lot more dynamic whereas now it's all about grinding for higher and higher levels be it through kibbling high levels (grind) or breeding and hatching (grind). There's no real end game other than PvP and the end game is further out of reach due to the crazy high level cap we have now. Also empowers the power tribe way too much.

They've actually spoken about a rebalance for everything once which is something that really needs to happen, but then right after that they added a dino type that's practically invincible to anything, leaving yet another avenue to strengthen the power tribe and hamper the smaller tribes.

The hooks are definitely there but they're tied to stuff that's so over inflated that eventually they start to turn you away. Way too much time right now is spent staring at a progress bar and nowhere near enough spent on interaction between tribes. If they could get the balance back to a place where you're spending more time actually using your resources than sustaining them then I think this could hold more peoples attention.

Bl@de

Good news for the devs but the game itself is shit imo.

Early access though so they have time.

Yep, my thoughts.

a) looks like shit
b) runs like shit even on low settings (and looks even worse then)
c) standard survival early access gameplay

I still prefer DayZ. At least it tries to be about survival and scavenging and not building you own dreamhouse and collecting gazillion tons of lumber.

Bsigg12

I think it shows that people love the massive survival games like this regardless of the performance/quality of the title. ARK has some really cool stuff if you're able to play with friends or a community and I think those sort of experiences definitely have a place on consoles. I'm really interested to see the space one from the guy who made Day Z on Xbox One game Preview next year.

tuxfool

Banned
Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. I bought it on PC but I can't stand to actually play the game, and I've played a lot of these open-world survival games.

Maybe you've hit your limit. Not even dinosaurs can fix that fatigue.

With this, Elite Dangerous, and The Long Dark, it's nice to see game preview titles doing well on XB1. Hopefully more devs get in on the program.

I really enjoy seeing The Long Dark's transformation as it goes through the program to full release, ARK should be exciting as well.

I played this on pc for a month or 2 back in July. The name I created on the server sounded Chinese but wasn't. It was just a play on words.

Funny thing is, before I joined the server I had no clue that on this server there as a large group of Chinese players notorious for killing players on site and raiding bases.

I had NEVER seen so much damn drama on a gaming server in all my life. LOL

There was another really large opposing group on the server that eventually fizzled out. There was even a bunch of drama surrounding it's members.

My friend tried to get me to play this forever ago, but I resisted. Mostly because he got me to buy DayZ and that game is terrible. We spent most of our play time trying to find one another.

I'll check out the trial this go around and see for free, lol.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Downloaded the trial but couldn't get into it. Visuals are extremely rough, even for early access, and I just found myself wandering around aimlessly looting corpses and shitting myself. And freezing to death. Promptly erased and moved on. Too much else to play right now.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
It's a great game but I cannot imagine playing the official servers. 5x harvesting and 10x tame are the bare minimum I can stand now. The offical 1x speed is so stupidly slow, I don't know how people do it. Even some 10x servers feel like a constant grind. Some aspects of the game at the standard speed require literal days of online playing (hatching). I mean, that's just absurd without a 10+ person tribe.

I think Xbox One only allows up to 3x on player hosted servers from what a coworker told me.

This game is where that xbox preview program really shines... was glad to get a free hour of it and happily forked over the money after playing it.

The average person who downloads and plays this game on their Xbox One has never even heard of Digital Foundry.

Also congrats to the devs, this is coming to PS4 at some point in the future as well isn't it?

Yup and its even supposed to have PSVR support as well.

game runs like ass on a 970. psvr support is gonna be a toughie

This genre has been around for years now with dozens of games. Why have so few of them gotten past the early access phase?

because most of them either find a small niche and are a side project, or they don't make it dayz-level huge in the first year so they drop it

NeoGIF

I played it for about 15 mins or so then deleted it, lol.

I just didn't find anything appealing about it at all.

vocab

Of course its bigger than on PC. We get a new survival game every week. There's a lot of apathy towards Early access survival games, but its nice to see a console get at least one.

Gaf is a vocal minority - which is a good thing.

Finaika

Of course its bigger than on PC. We get a new survival game every week. There's a lot of apathy towards Early access survival games, but its nice to see a console get at least one.

Isn't it currently the biggest survival game on Steam though?

Top Bottom