• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luminous Arc DS scans

king zell

3112.net_b7e82a384e17d7b1baad037d0c8e2443.jpg

3112.net_a67720516c408d396034b9ad51d6366f.jpg

I'm on a broadband connection and those images are taking forever to load, I'm not even sure if they're loading anymore...

Rehost plz?

Kroole

Chris Michael said:
I'm on a broadband connection and those images are taking forever to load, I'm not even sure if they're loading anymore...

Rehost plz?

Yepp.. THe host blows

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
AWESOME!! Why is the DS kicking so much ass in terms of interesting looking games being developed - wtf is going on?

ethelred

It's not really showing anything that the first batch of scans, from when the game was revealed, showed. However, it's still looking quite nice and I'm definitely looking forward to getting a good SRPG for the DS.

kaizoku said:
AWESOME!! Why is the DS kicking so much ass in terms of interesting looking games being developed - wtf is going on?

I imagine a lot of the new stuff we're starting to see right now, and will continue to see through TGS and the end of the year, are projects that publishers initiated after the DS hit its 600k sales week back during the holidays of 2005. Those are the kind of system sales no publisher anywhere can ignore, and I think a whole lot of games got birthed then that we haven't seen yet.

bogg said:
Looks pretty gba'ish, but still good.
hopefully the game kick ass and they'll bring it to the west.

Doesn't look GBA-ish to me. We've had two games in this style on the GBA (FFTA and Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis), and this is looking much better than either of them -- pretty close to the level of Final Fantasy Tactics on the PlayStation, graphically.

bogg

The witch is nice...
And I don't see how this is GBAish, we haven't even seen any of the effects or anything. This is exactly what people were saying about Castlevania:DoS and Megaman ZX but if you said it after there were tons of videos and previews showing otherwise you'd be called stupid

ethelred

Zoramon089 said:
The witch is nice...
And I don't see how this is GBAish, we haven't even seen any of the effects or anything. This is exactly what people were saying about Castlevania:DoS and Megaman ZX but if you said it after there were tons of videos and previews showing otherwise you'd be called stupid

/me cues Chris Michael.

ethelred

Bebpo said:
Why is Marvelous Interactive making 90% of the rpgs on the DS? Where are all the other companies?

They're not making all of them, though they are (along with Konami and Nintendo) tied for #1 in terms of DS RPGs. Square Enix is pretty close behind (seven so far).

And as long as Marvelous is making more games like Luminous Arc instead of Lunar: Dragon Song, I'm fine with them continuing to put lots of stuff on the system.

However, you're entirely correct that the scarcity of RPGs from, say... Capcom and Sega and Namco Bandai... is really quite noticable.

jko said:
not another tactics-style rpg game...oh well, looks good tho.

Not another? What are you talking about? The only other one we know of to be in development for the DS is Mistwalker/Nintendo's Archaic Sealed Heat, and you say "not another?" The DS needs more of these, not less.

ShinNL

The person drawing the character art, is it the same artist as the one who drew for Riviera and the upcoming Yggdra Union? I really really like that style and it feels more immersive with such great art.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Deneb + tittays = YAY!

The game looks disgustingly awesome. Sharp character art, sharper graphics. I'm impressed.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Hopefully that WiFi at the top means Wifi Connection. A good Online SRPG... that'll be great. Must have faith in Atlus to bring it to the US. I wonder if it'll have some FMVs in it too.

Only thing I've never liked is the static characters in front of the background for the storytelling. It's fine for Point and Click games like Phoenix Wright, but in RPGs I'd much rather have the talking be less separated from the action. That's one of the problems I had with Lost Magic (other than the somewhat annoying controls). That's where Jeanne de'arc has this one beat in my opinion. Though the character designs are wonderful.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
However, you're entirely correct that the scarcity of RPGs from, say... Capcom and Sega and Namco Bandai... is really quite noticable.
Namco Bandai seems to be putting in a pretty decent effort too. Capcom's doing basicallty what they did on GBA, though SEGA hasn't really done anything besides MushiKing.

The only real mia RPG publisher I've missed though is Atlus, who looks like they're finally starting to gear up thankfully. :)

Meier

bogg said:

I dunno, I honestly think this game looks nearly as good as most of the SRPGs on the PS2, let alone the GBA. I'm not sure why Disgaea couldn't be done on it after seeing Luminous Arc (minus the voice-acting, of course).

Well, my impressions thus far on the characters:

Silver-haired dude in armour: Remind me of Franz from Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones and Ramza from FFT. In all probability is going to be the main character. Pretty standard, but nothing wrong with that.

Scythe witch: Still needs to find a shirt. Pants wouldn't hurt either. I can't help but get a vibe that she's a villian, or at least one of those misguided amoralistic characters. Reminds me of Ivy from Soul Calibur

Frog girl: Looks cute. Reminds me somewhat of Nino from Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword

White-haired chick: Reminds me of Enzan (Chaud) from Megaman Battle Network for some reason. Probably going to be a strong mage type.

Lad in the green shamanistic robes: As stated before, reminds me of Ivan from Golden Sun. Probably going to be somewhat shy and reserved. I'm probably going to use him extensively, unless he proves crap.

Girl with the giant cross: Appears to be connected with the church of this game. Probably a healer. The cross looks like a giant syringe, for some reason.

Blonde knight: Reminds me of Siegfried from Soul Calibur. Probably serious and dutiful. Tank character am total.

Knight with bigass sword: Reminds me of Garet from Golden Sun (the screen with him talking to the shaman boy helps this impression). Seems a bit looser than his other knightly counterpart.

Because I can, that's why.

The character design is terrible, imo...(so average...I hate the empty eyes).
The game itself is really interesting, though.

Top Bottom