• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scan Your Face in Games

TVexperto

Just heard about Amazon's new MMO "Liberty and Thrones" where you can scan your face onto the main character.

I'm curious, are there any other games out there with this feature? I'm keen to try more games where I can put my disgusting and ugly face in the game world.

Drop any game names you know that offer this. Thanks!

cormack12

Gold Member
EA used to do it but stopped for some reason. Think the last we saw was in UFC

Fbh

nba 2k does this to varying rates of success lol

First thing that came to mind
94d9dabe5007a2cf681ec02921fefd9e_crop_north.jpg

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Rainbow six vegas is another, you could scan your face with the xbox camera. It was pretty shit but funny, youd look bright orange like youve got fake tan on.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Kinect Sports claimed it would allow you to do this and cheated its way around it. The game made a low effort, cartoon version of your face where it just matched things like face shape, skin colour and beard etc.

Pelao

Reality Fighters for the Vita.
I haven't played it in a while, but I still have a bunch of college buddies and a couple of professors in my 10+ year old save file.
It's a bit of a time capsule.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Someone tries this every few years then finds out that people don’t want to be themselves in games.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I already don’t like character creation in games let alone scanning your own face in the game.

I much rather just original design character.
agreed, character appearance creators are one the most annoying trends in RPGs over time

just give me a damn designed character list instead of making me pick from 50 terrible chin shapes

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Would had been cool to do this widespread with Kinect or PS Cam in games way back. But hardly any games allowed it.

My bro imported his ugly mug into NHL 99 (I think) on PC and it worked. I forget how he even did it as I'm not sure he even had a web cam. It might had been uploading a jpeg into character creation. It was cool but a texture on a blocky head.

Technology has got to be 10x better than 20+ years ago at getting a decent pic of your face mapped onto a head.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
agreed, character appearance creators are one the most annoying trends in RPGs over time

just give me a damn designed character list instead of making me pick from 50 terrible chin shapes
Exactly! And just fucking boring going through bunch menus to create your character when you just want get started with the game.....I dont even bother with it and just choose default option.

I 1000 times prefer if the game just give me original character design.

Last edited:
Rainbow six vegas did a good job of it all those years ago on 360.
I remember doing this with the 360 cam. It was awesome snapping into cover and swing yourself in the game. Wish more games did it.

You could do it on Pro Evo too at that time. My friends and I scanned ourselves into our own custom team. Good times

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Rainbow six vegas did a good job of it all those years ago on 360.
I remember doing this with the 360 cam. It was awesome snapping into cover and swing yourself in the game. Wish more games did it.

You could do it on Pro Evo too at that time. My friends and I scanned ourselves into our own custom team. Good times
For gamesr that did it, did gamers take it seriously and not do crazy shit?

I think one of the reasons you hear on the net why this feature isn't done more often is the fear people will take dick pics so game makers would be scrambling moderating and banning users. So they just didn't bother.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I did it back in the days with Rainbow Six Vegas 1 & 2 using the Xbox Live Cam. It took me many tries but it turned out pretty well.

I used to freak people out when playing online lol.

Funny, as many times as I played R6V, i never seen anyone else use the cam feature.

ThOB2T9.jpg

mE9H0lX.jpg

ZcUE7Ab.jpg

6IdcOFW.jpg

Last edited:

I think one of the reasons you hear on the net why this feature isn't done more often is the fear people will take dick pics so game makers would be scrambling moderating and banning users. So they just didn't bother.
I think it was a bit of a mix. In Rainbow 6 I took a serious one, but then on Pro Evo I had one with a massive joint hanging out of my mouth (we lived in a share house so Xbox and smoking was most of what we did at that time).

I feel like they could bring it back without too much trepidation. Afterall people can do live chat in lobbies, etc which can be reported. If someone scans their dick as their face I’m sure a similar report system could work.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
NBA did this for a bit and it was atrocious lol. Cool concept but within 2 hours of release we will have walking penis and hitler faces in games. You always have to expect the shitclass of society to ruin things.

Kikorin

I did back then in Fight Night 3 on Xbox 360 if I remember well, it worked like shit, but it was fun.

Last edited:

Kdad

Just heard about Amazon's new MMO "Liberty and Thrones" where you can scan your face onto the main character.

I'm curious, are there any other games out there with this feature? I'm keen to try more games where I can put my disgusting and ugly face in the game world.

Drop any game names you know that offer this. Thanks!
Seem to recall this being a thing in the x360/PS3 era

CamHostage

This tech could be way better today with modern face rigs and trained reconstruction of facial features. Previously, this tech just took a photo as texture and stretched it over a close-enough face, but now, you could create a MetaHuman of yourself with correct topography and generated eyeballs and simulated details for hair and fuzz and pores and subsurface scattering and all that fun stuff.

Kind of makes me sad that this gen doesn't have any of that XB Avatar / Mii stuff that was popular for a moment. (Switch still has Miis, right, somewhere in there?) You didn't really use it in all the big games since you were playing with predefined heroes, but an Avatar that had both a highly-detailed model and then the ability to stylize it with cel-shading or super-deformed or whatever other style fit would be a cool dataset for creating your online and local on-the-couch profile.

Last edited:

I remember people had hitler in there and stuff. But I mean we used to be able to have fun like that lol.

The worst thing for dick pics etc which would never get done today was burnout paradise. If you took someone down it would take a pic of them and send it to you. It was fucking fun with mates but naturally people just end up showing their asses to each other lol.

Zelduh

This sorta happens in the end of Bravely Default where you get a jumpscare of yourself when the 3DS camera turns on

WX3

I took a picture of a photo of Michael Jackson's mugshot and used that as my face on R6V. Odd as it was, when I used my own face, it always came out bright red and I'd get shit on in the game by my buddies laughing at my big bald red head peaking around corners. Never happened as a black man.

Last edited:

Agent X

there were a few games on the PS2 that used the Eye Toy to scan your face in.
whugy8boj2a31.jpg

I remember doing this with some of the Tony Hawk games on the PS2. You could either use the EyeToy to capture your face, or upload a photo from your PC to Activision's online server.

Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix on PSP enabled you to store a photo of your face on your Memory Stick, and then map it onto your created character.

Top Bottom