• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC unveils Vive Pre, its second-generation VR system

dex3108

HTC has taken the wraps off its "big technological breakthrough" in virtual reality, with the announcement of Vive Pre, its second-generation VR hardware for developers.

Vive Pre builds on the first iteration of the Steam VR-powered system with a revamped, smaller headset, improved visuals and a new controller design. And Vive Pre also brings a major new hardware addition to the headset — a front-facing camera.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-u...a763&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Send to VR graveyard if it is old :D

So, it was in regards to the camera. Thought so.

Vive can now highlight real-world objects in the virtual world, allowing you to interact with objects or other people, or avoid hitting or tripping over obstacles.

ekim

So this needs to be implemented into games or does it show you the direct feed of the cam in your FOV?

DieH@rd

Banned
Nice, so instead of just seeing the "grid" when near the obstacle, user can now glimpse into the real world and see those obstacles or even desired objects [when near to keyboard area, keyboard feed will appear in the gameword].

Good addition. It costs just a few $, but it gives great potential boost of usability.

"Second generation" when they have yet to actually release a first.

giphy.gif

ps3ud0

More interested in the updates to the controller - any further details?
Vive's new controllers feature a more ergonomic design with grippy areas, new two-stage triggers and softer edges. Meanwhile, the inclusion of haptic feedback should allow Vive Pre users to move around and interact with things in the virtual world more easily. The new controllers charge over microUSB, and can provide up to four hours of use per charge, HTC says.
ps3ud0 8)

still looks like some shit you'd only ever see worn by the spartans of planet reach

so in other words it's a passthrough which enables a real world object overlay. same concept I've been using to combat skeptics and their talk of 'extreme isolation' for over a year now is finally an actual thing in one of the major headsets. whatever will all these junior member detractors have to talk about now

UploadVR hands-on: http://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-pre-hands-on/

“The breakthrough,” says Ryan Hoopingarner, HTC Vive’s Director of Product Marketing, “is really two-fold, it’s really about how you approach the overall user experience.” Part of doing that is making the device both safer and easier to wear. The Vive previously had what is known as the “Chaperone System” allowing the user to set the bounds of their play area. When I approached these bounds a grid would overlay itself on top of the virtual world, giving me an approximate idea of where the walls were.

The new version of this overlays a blue-tinted version of the edges of the real world and shows surfaces of objects outside the play area. It was very effective at making me feel safe walking freely around in my space, and the overlay was translucent enough that I was able to still see the virtual world around me.

Another mode of this pass through could be called up at any point during a VR demo with the double tap of a new button below the trackpad. This would activate a more opaque version of the overlay that took up my entire field of view, allowing me to see things like a chair in the middle of the room or the people around me while also allowing me to still see where I was in the virtual space.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/DisgustingWealthyArmyworm.webm

Damn, second generation before the first generation is even out.

It's probably a wise choice to wait a year or two before buying any of the VR headsets. We're probably at the seventh generation by then.

Ovek

7Member7
Soon the magical breakthrough was them looking at a GearVR and going a front facing camera might just come in handy..... right'o

Lionheart

The uses of the camera sound very practical and could even work for any game without any additional work for the developer I guess? For a system that they want you to walk around with, this could work very well.

Anno

Sounds like a cool addition. Even if you have a completely clean space it'll be nice to see a little indication that a dog or child wandered into the room and you don't run them over.

jmga

I hope they tell more details about hardware specs(resolution, FOV, display type, etc).

I still see the Vive as the premium choice for this first generation of VR devices, with best tracking, room-scale positioning, passthrough camera, etc.

But we need more info and price.

Freeman

Banned
A front facing camera is the most obvious addition, all VR headsets should have them.

It would be cool if the camera could map some of the geometry of the room and overlay them in the virtual world if you were getting too close. I think I heard Valve did something like that.

EVIL

I hope they tell more details about hardware specs(resolution, FOV, display type, etc).

I still see the Vive as the premium choice for this first generation of VR devices, with best tracking, room-scale positioning, passthrough camera, etc.

But we need more info and price.

expect it to be the same as the first devkit. I dont expect the consumer edition to change much in that aspect. its pretty much identical to the oculus rift CV1

second generation devkit you twerp. the first one has been in dev hands for months now.

Right, but that's not a "generation". They're using console nomenclature as a marketing term to sell unfinished hardware to devs to screw around with. Hardly a "generation", especially if the "first" is only a few fucking months old.

DieH@rd

Banned
This is actually all good news. :)

Vive Pre v2 devkit:
-better screens
-smaller&lighter headset
-new wand designs with additional buttons/haptic [confirmed microUSB charging and 5h of battery life]
-addition of wide FOV camera to headset that greatly boosts safety
-7000 v2 devkits planned to be distributed to the devs in early 2016

Right, but that's not a "generation".
Hardly a "generation",
Actually, it is. New hardware bits added, streamlined design, more functionality added.

They're using console nomenclature as a marketing term to sell unfinished hardware to devs to screw around with.
They have every right to do so.

especially if the "first" is only a few fucking months old.
Irrelevant. Devs need to purchase console devkits that cost tens of thousands of dollars, while VR headsets are much much cheaper than that. Don't feel sad for them. Purchasing that gear [some will most surely get it for free] is part of their job.

A front facing camera is the most obvious addition, all VR headsets should have them.

It would be cool if the camera could map some of the geometry of the room and overlay them in the virtual world if you were getting too close. I think I heard Valve did something like that.

that's exactly the 'breakthrough' described here and enabled by the camera. At the link posted above you can see a short video of a man in a headset easily and comfortably sitting down into a chair he shouldn't be able to see.

Right, but that's not a "generation". They're using console nomenclature as a marketing term to sell unfinished hardware to devs to screw around with. Hardly a "generation", especially if the "first" is only a few fucking months old.

"Sell."

They've not sold a single Vive to devs yet. They've been giving them away, albiet selectively.

This is actually all good news. :)

Vive Pre v2 devkit:
-better screens
-smaller&lighter headset
-new wand designs with additional buttons/haptic [confirmed microUSB charging and 5h of battery life]
-addition of wide FOV camera to headset that greatly boosts safety
-7000 v2 devkits planned to be distributed to the devs in early 2016

This will be the consumer headset too? But with a different name?

Maybe an asinine question, but why the name change? Why not just "Vive" if no consumer model has been released yet?

Not asking rhetorically - I am genuinely curious.

Top Bottom