• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Arkham Knight soured your overall view of the Arkham series?

I'm interested in gauging people's opinions on this. Having just recently completely Arkham Knight, I was skeptical of all the criticism it received before I got my hands on it. "Could the Batmobile really be that big of a deal-breaker?" Unfortunately, it was.

It's difficult to separate the fantastic accomplishments of the first two games (for the sake of this conversation, let's consider Origins to be part of a spin-off series) from the disappointment that Arkham Knight turned out to be. In my mind now, it feels like the whole saga was ruined.

Do the shortcomings of this game spoil your memory of the series, or are you able to keep the three games separate in your bank of fuzzy feelings? Additionally, do you think there's a chance that Rocksteady could salvage some of this disappointment when the GOTY edition is released?

Nah. People who let one entry ruin an entire thing for them are crazy.

Literally nothing has been done to Asylum or City.

It's certainly a disappointing game overall, but I don't think it ended badly enough to sour the rest of the series. Asylum and City are still fantastic games and Origins is a very good game.

No. Having done a platinum run of Arkham Asylum a year ago I found I still enjoy that game immensely. I still like City, but Asylum will be my number one. I don't even know if I'll finish Arkham Knight.

to the previous games? no. Post arkham knight? let's just say that I won't be pre-ordering any games from rocksteady, or wb for that matter, anymore.

Jobbs

Banned
Yes. I finished the first two Rocksteady games and generally liked them, but I couldn't finish AK. I just couldn't do the car/tank stuff. I so didn't care. I was taken over by a wave of not caring. I couldn't hang with it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah, it was bad. Admittedly I'm not a fan of the source material but Arkham City and Asylum both hooked me.

The bat tank shit was awful. Dropped it in like 2 hours.

Rocksteady...
BvXozt9.gif

Lothars

Nope It's the second best Arkham game behind Origins. It has some big issues but I was impressed with some of the things they did.

Not really. i mean, i would've preferred actual boss-fights, but i didn't really hate the batmobile. the only thing the game really soured was my view on WB and their ports.

BTW, i think it's fun how most people ignore Origins, when it was probably the best arkham.

brau

Nope. Had a great time with the PS4 version of the game first hand. Was lucky to be able to return the PC version after the last patch that promised it fixed everything. But i was not bitter or anything. Still a great game. Sad that the PC version is so broken.

Shepard

Finished it on PC a few weeks ago and I like it just as much as the previous ones. Once you go through the first half of the game, the Batmobile missions arent as frequent and I actually enjoyed using it to travel around the town. I'd rate it above City but below Asylum.

No. Not sure I'll ever finish it; just nit liking it enough to keep playing. I'll always love Asylum and City though. Someday I'll probably play Origins.

dralla

Honestly, Arkham City soured me on the series. The open world structure didn't work for me at all. It was filled with nothing but inconsequential collectables and added nothing and the pacing and cohesiveness took a serious hit. Arkham Asylum is a fantastic game, but the series as a whole isn't anything special.

Mesoian

No, it was fine.

But I am now thoroughly fatigued on that type of game and will likely wait quite a while to play the next one. Between Knight and Mad Max, i've had my fill of the open world batman formula.

They were fine games though.

I loved Arkham knight. The batmobile is something that I've wanted to control ever since i saw it in asylum, and Arkham knight more than delivered .The story was mediocre, but the combat was just so good that it more than made up for it. I think it's the perfect end to the trilogy.

adj_noun

I really liked it, so I suppose it goes without saying that it didn't sour anything.

It had some of my favorite character interactions that the series has done.

dcelw540

I enjoyed it but man it the weakest. I was expecting a few things:

1) boss fights
2) an interesting story for arkham knight
3) scarecrow as a good main villian
4) Good balance of batmobile and character usage
5) civilians to save in the city
6) more villains to show up
7) a good wrap up for the trilogy

sadly it didn't deliver to much on my list :/
oh well, it's batman!

Waxwing

I really don't get the batmobile hate. I thought the tank battles were quite a bit of fun, and even if you didn't like those bits, much of it was optional and there was PLENTY of other content. I was more disappointed by some of the story reveals, though the ending pretty much made up for it. Overall, I'd put it just a peg beneath City and well above Asylum and Origins.

antitrop

No. Having done a platinum run of Arkham Asylum a year ago I found I still enjoy that game immensely. I still like City, but Asylum will be my number one. I don't even know if I'll finish Arkham Knight.

The ending is the worst part, so don't bother.

The last few hours of that game were just Batmobile torture. And I don't even hate the Batmobile as much as many others do, they just went wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy overboard with it at the end there.

I think the last few hours are what kept it out of my Top 10 list for the year. It was that bad, I really hated every minute of it.

Hupsel

Game is great imo. Best story in the series. Batmobile was a bit underused and some side activities were terrible/repetitive but the main story and quest was the best one imo.

JaseMath

I loved it up until the end. The Batmobile boss fights were absolutely terrible in terms of planning and execution.

The ending is the worst part, so don't bother.

The last few hours of that game were just Batmobile torture. And I don't even hate the Batmobile as much as many others do, they just went wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy overboard with it at the end there.

I thought the ending portion where you
play as the Joker in Batman's mind
was fantastic, but the back to back Batmobile boss battles were such frustrating garbage.

Top Bottom