• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Arkham Knight soured your overall view of the Arkham series?

BiggNife

It's made me eternally skeptical of WB PC ports but as a game, not really

I thought it was totally fine, I honestly liked it a little more than City. Definitely a little too much batmobile, and the story sucked, but the world was really fun to traverse and the combat/stealth is just as good as it's even been.

My hierarchy would go (from best to worst) Aslyum > Origins > Knight > City

Not at all. I loved the game for what it was.
The Batmobile portions were a little much, but everything else was there.

In fact, the game cemented my belief that I'd be totally open to any other Rocksteady produced DC properties. Keep making my superhero video game dreams come true.

AfroDust

Nope it was fucking great and I loved it. But I expect this thread to be full of hyperbole because this is NeoGaf and if something isn't the best thing ever its the worst thing ever.

Game is great imo. Best story in the series. Batmobile was a bit underused and some side activities were terrible/repetitive but the main story and quest was the best one imo.

3rgXByoNQXLrRoJxEk.gif

Ninjimbo

Not at all. I don't understand why it would. Even if the Batmobile is a bad idea, it's just one part of a game that does a whole lot of things rights. The entire series captured the mythology and essence of the character better than anything that came before and is now seen as the standard that all licensed games should aspire to. It continually pushed the benchmark with every subsequent game and Arkham Knight in particular has some of the best storytelling moments we've seen in a long time.

If you want to hate on the Batmobile, that's fine, but to disregard the quality of the rest of the game and the series? That's asinine. Why would you do that? It makes no sense. Asylum, City, and Origins are still there and they're still great games as well.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Before I played it I thought "I THINK I'm done with this, let's see what they did"
After I played it I thought "Oh, they made everything worse. Yeah, I'm done with it"

Nope, but it did make me realize just how lazy AAA devs can be, especially when it comes to PC.

Asylum and Origins are still amazingness, and City is awesome, but Knight... This was my reaction by the end of the game:

wtf_is_that_martin_freeman.gif

Skilletor

Batmobile sections have made me stop playing Arkham Knight, so if they keep putting that in, I'll not buy future games.

SJRB

Gold Member
Absolutely not, I loved Arkham Knight.

It has too much focus on Batmobile gimmick puzzles, but the rest is excellent. The map is expertly crafted, the music is AMAZING, combat as solid as ever and more challenging than ever before, the upgrades are great.

Not to mention the plethora of mindfucks, Arkham Knight is the absolute king in terms of "...wait, did I see that right?" when looking around, so much bizarre stuff happening as Batman [and thus the player] starts losing his sanity.

Also - no loading when entering a building, no matter how large. Get fucked, Fallout.

It was better than City or Origins by a long shot. So no, the series still has a long way to go before it matches Arkham Asylum again though.

It is pretty interesting how much the perception of Rocksteady has changed since June. I actually have the game and have yet to play it simply because of all the disappointment online.

dLMN8R

I thought the game was awesome, one of the best I played in 2015.

The backlash to it has been super weird IMO, unless you were burned by the PC version of course.

Beautiful open world, awesome mission system with the radial menu which always points you to something interesting to do, great set of abilities and upgrades, and the best use yet of the Joker.

D1AMONDDOGS

Neo Member
Clearly in the minority here, but I also loved the Batmobile.

Was it overused? Absolutely. Way too many tank battles. Especially with both the
Arkham Knight
&
Deathstroke
fights being the same thing.

The biggest weakness of the game to me, was Arkham Knight & trying so hard to hide his identity. Reminds me of Star Trek Into Darkness with Khan. If they would have just went with
Red Hood
the whole time, I feel like it would've been stronger. Batman slowly going insane over the course of the game is pretty great though.

Durden77

No. I mean, general series fatigue is kicking in at this point so I don't know how eager I would be to play another Batman game like that, but I throughly enjoyed Arkham Knight and don't understand threads like this. I 100% it, it was my second favorite one behind Asylum. It was an excellent action adventure game that is still leauges above most in that genre with a few hiccups.

Skunkers

Further cemented Origins as the best one.

I'm with this guy.

I'm looking forward to the next WB Montreal game more than I am for the next Rocksteady title. Tech-wise they did a remarkable job on Arkham Knight, it's awesome what they were able to pull off. And I don't even hate the Batmobile like most detractors seem to. I just didn't care at all for where they went with the story, and I think they dropped the ball on a lot of design aspects. It's my biggest disappointment of last year, even though the framework was there for something great.

I finished this game last night. It doesn't ruin my memory of how much I like Asylum/City/Origins, but it makes me realize that I'm done with the series. The batmobile and the disappointing story beats in Knight made me sad, and I begrudgingly finished it, but Rocksteady has done better. I hope they move onto a new project and make something else amazing.

Neff

No, I thought it was the perfect finale.

I don't expect future Arkham games to be as good without Rocksteady, though.

Zach

I really enjoyed Arkham Knight. I'm not a hardcore Batman (or superhero) fan, but I played both of the previous games (Asylum was great; City was okay). I had no plans to buy Knight, but I was one of the ones who snagged the Ultimate Premium Whatever Edition on Amazon for ~$15.00 and I felt like it was worth that times three or four.

I should note that after hearing about people hating the Batmobile -- and it took a while for me to warm to it myself -- I upgraded it early on to avoid headaches during its segments. Also, I barely touched anything Riddler related until I had beaten the game. :D

Anyway, super fun game.

As a Batman fan and a gamer, it's one of my top games of the year. Despite the terrible PC port, the game itself was phenomenal and the story was the best comic to video game adaption to date. The DLC is lacking and bat-mobile is Okay, i honestly don't think it takes away from the game.

It's hard for me to fathom people hating on this game and praising MGS 5, which was an incomplete and repetitive mess.

EhoaVash

Opposite for me

I hated playing arkham city cause the city looked like ass also wasn't very fun to traversal. the story was also really mehhhhhh imo, I love arkham Knight though, mostly due to the visuals and really nice story moment like that unexpected hush moment :D

I loved the game and even the Batmobile up until the end....and then I started to loathe the Batmobile. Still, overall I had a great time with the game on PS4.

foltzie1

I haven't played this game (LTTP waiting on complete edition), but I'm glad that the Nolan films and the Arkham games were able to have an definitive ending for a character that due to the nature of comics isn't usually allowed one.

Batman retiring to have a life with Selina and/or Batman being unmasked publicly are viable endings and it's fun to see them being played out even if I could quibble with the execution.

V3rt1go

No, but the lack of boss fights, the story, the Batmobile, and the Riddler trophies made me regret buying the game.

Still love Asylum and City though.

Batmobile: Arkham Knight is not a good game.

jacobeid

Banned
I really don't get the batmobile hate. I thought the tank battles were quite a bit of fun, and even if you didn't like those bits, much of it was optional and there was PLENTY of other content. I was more disappointed by some of the story reveals, though the ending pretty much made up for it. Overall, I'd put it just a peg beneath City and well above Asylum and Origins.

Yeah, the "reveal" was obvious to anyone with even the most basic Batman knowledge from the day that they announced the Arkham Knight. They didn't even try to hide it in the story...it was completely obvious.

In regards to the Batmobile, I could handle it up until the end when you're just grinding against tanks. That's not Batman and more importantly, it was not fun to play.

I don't know if there was "PLENTY" of other content.....of value at least. Some of the side missions were cool, but the majority are riddler trophies and nobody has time for that...and *of course* the ending is tied to those trophies.

Couple that with all of the PC performance issues and, yeah, Rocksteady and WB are on my shit list. Ended up playing it on PS4 but I'm sure I was already sour because of the PC experience.

First three Arkham games are some of my favorite of all time. I played AA 6 times, which I never do, AC 4 times, and AO twice. Calling Arkham Knight a disappointment is being kind.
To this day it's the only game in my Steam library in the folder "complete dog shit."

Cleve

Not even factoring in the PC issues (that I refunded it for) the series fatigue is completely real for me. There's only so many big name batman villains, and they seem obsessed with recycling all of them instead of reaching a bit deeper. The batmobile racing was boring, the batmobile tank stuff was boring.

I still think Asylum is one of my favorite games of all time, but I have 0 interest in another game in the same format. Everyone else uses the combat now, but plenty of other developers have found ways to distinguish what they're making in a more interesting way than Knight did.

The greasy shit of a season pass hasn't done much to impress me either.

phanphare

Banned
I never even played Knight because City soured me on the series

they took everything that was good about Asylum and ruined it by jumping in on the open world bandwagon

My only gripe with the Batmobile was that it was how you actually fought enemies that should want to fight Batman physically. From a story perspective, it does make sense why they're using armies of drones and giant tanks. The main antagonist knows that you don't beat Batman head to head, you try to wear him out by taking over the city and having Bats go from villain to villain to stop it.

This is an iteration of Batman that is by far the best fighter EVER. He beat Deathstroke when he was a damn rookie. Only people with mutations or actual superpowers are better than him here. So why would anyone bother trying to fistfight with him aside from mooks who use numbers as their only advantage.

Arkham Ayslum will always be amazing.

The perfect blend of open world and focused story telling with fantastic and varied environments that came together to sell a living and breathing world.

kuroshiki

No, the game was fantastic.

I was worried about all the negative press in Neogaf about the game, but batmobile part was actually not that bad (minus the essential riddler section), and I actually enjoyed batmobile fight vs. Arkham knight.

T.O.P

Banned
...it was my favourite game of the series tbh

Except for the tank section near the end i had tons of fun

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I remember when it was announced that the Batmobile would be included I imagined such an awkward mishmash of gameplay segments. And whatever vertical slice they were showing (the Ace chemicals plant) was exactly that, and it was what was shown to the press; I assume so based on Jeff Gerstmann's comments echoing my concerns.

Also enjoyed Origins and was put off by the studio rivalry, e.g. "The Final Chapter in the epic Arkham Trilogy." Knock that steady rock off your shoulder because at least the team at WB Montreal managed to make a Batman with a face that moved and contained emotion, instead of the dead-eyed automoton that returned in Knight.

Yet, despite all this (and the huge hot mess of the PC port of the game), when I got it and dug in, I played this amazing game: so open world that the world itself seemed to scale on-the-fly; from a huge Arkham Asylum style foot maze for me to explore and prod its cracks and corners for hidden items, down to a manageable multi-level Rally-X style or Tron tank maze shooter within each island, all the way down to three tiny islands whispering past as I Super Mario 64 fly across the entire available world in a few moments. I was kind of stunned at what they did with it.

It's my game of the year.

Yes. I played on the PC but very recently so performance-wise it was perfect (ultra with everything on at constant 60 fps 1080p on a 980 ti). However, the forced batmobile sections OVER and OVER, the repetition in boring sidequests, the lackluster conclusion to a promising story, annoying mobs (^&^$&^(* electricity shits) and no boss fights (biggest disappointment for me) made it the most disappointing entry in the series by far (I actually enjoyed Origins a lot). Definitely won't be playing the next game unless they make some sweeping changes.

Too much of the actual game was dependant on the Batmobile but it's a technical marvel. Really beautiful game. And it's nice to finally be in Gotham proper. They kind of lost sight of being the bat though since, although Batman uses a Batmobile, he doesn't live in it.

I loved it. For the first five hours. Then I realized that all of the "too much batmobile" commentary on GAF was if anything, an understatement. There is waaaaaay too much batmobile gameplay. I hate it. Overall, stunningly beautiful excellently made game.

Top Bottom