• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good & Evil plays best on which console?

Porridge

I wanna get the game. For some reason I think I want the GC version. But if it plays better on a different system, please tell me. Thank you

Porridge said:
I wanna get the game. For some reason I think I want the GC version. But if it plays better on a different system, please tell me. Thank you

Yeah, I found it was best on the Gamecube.

Amir0x

Banned
Ancel said the Gamecube version was the best so I went with that. But, I'm sure the PC/Xbox version is damn fine too (my experience is too limited to compare across the board here)

Ryck

They all play well but I think the Ps2 one has frame rate and slowdown issues. Get one of the other two versions.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Xbox version played awesome for me. I guess which ever one is cheaper is your best choice. Gamecube or Xbox that is

Jeff-DSA

I actually have tried all 3 console versions and I like the GameCube version most. The colors seemed richer on the Cube than the Xbox and slowdown was way less than what the PS2 had.

I've played it on all three consoles (and own it on GCN and Xbox) and if possible steer clear of the PS2 version. There's nothing wrong with it by any means, it's just not as solid as the other two in terms of framerate. Ancel likes the GCN version the best, if that means anything to you.

mug

The PC version can definitely display some amazing visuals but choose the GC version for console. It seemed that it had a more crisp and vibrant look and played well with the simple controller.

I played the PS2 version originally and I came across a glitch that caused my partner to dissapear and made it impossible to progress any farther.

Porridge

Wow, such swift replies. I'm really glad that Ancel has a preferred version, specifically the one I wanted in the first place. Thanks a lot, I'm gonna get this thing immediately.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Great Rumbler said:
I played the PS2 version originally and I came across a glitch that caused my partner to dissapear and made it impossible to progress any farther.

Yep, that's Ubisoft

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The PC version also has incredibly well programmed copy protection.

Every time you leave an area, the CD drive has to spin up to make sure you aren't a filthy pirate. This makes area transitions take anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds. On the console, area transitions take about 1-2 seconds. And you go between areas a lot in the game... sometimes it only takes you 5 seconds to cross an area.

"I played the PS2 version originally and I came across a glitch that caused my partner to dissapear and made it impossible to progress any farther."

Yeah, that's in the cube version as well.

ShinNL

Beyond Good & Evil lacked a 60hz option in PAL versions. Instant turn-off for me. Darn floaty walks.

castle007

Banned
Great Rumbler said:

Same here.
There is a part in the sewers when you don't follow a certain path your partner will disappear. I had to load the game again.

Alts

I found this game last week, but held off buying it because I wanted to know which was the best. Thanks for the info.

Not the PC version, it's horrible. Between the total lack of gamepad support -- obviously a serious problem for a game designed to be played on gamepads -- and some resulting control issues that it caused (or maybe they are just other bugs? Either wa, there are some areas that are very hard to get through because of the digital-only movement controls... to this day I never managed to get around this one specific corner in the pit under the police base or whatever in the main city...) and the load times, poor framerate (why is a game that graphically doesn't look very different from Rayman 3 (PC version) running at half the framerate? That game runs fine on my PC... why can't BG&E? Oh right, it was a terrible port. Rayman 3 for PC has full dual-analog gamepad support, needed for the game... BG&E has an equally large need for such a control scheme, but it's keyboard/mouse only. Thanks.) , and multi-CD installs (3 CDs for a game that should be on DVD? Annoying, even if you don't have to switch them because of the 2GB install...), even though I only paid $20 for the PC version, I wish I hadn't... the game is overrated in many ways, but my opinion of it sure wasn't helped by the bad porting job...

Jeff-DSA

A Black Falcon said:
Not the PC version, it's horrible. Between the total lack of gamepad support -- obviously a serious problem for a game designed to be played on gamepads -- and some resulting control issues that it caused (or maybe they are just other bugs? Either wa, there are some areas that are very hard to get through because of the digital-only movement controls... to this day I never managed to get around this one specific corner in the pit under the police base or whatever in the main city...) and the load times, poor framerate (why is a game that graphically doesn't look very different from Rayman 3 (PC version) running at half the framerate? That game runs fine on my PC... why can't BG&E? Oh right, it was a terrible port. Rayman 3 for PC has full dual-analog gamepad support, needed for the game... BG&E has an equally large need for such a control scheme, but it's keyboard/mouse only. Thanks.) , and multi-CD installs (3 CDs for a game that should be on DVD? Annoying, even if you don't have to switch them because of the 2GB install...), even though I only paid $20 for the PC version, I wish I hadn't... the game is overrated in many ways, but my opinion of it sure wasn't helped by the bad porting job...

You are terribly wrong about that one, junior.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
castle007 said:
Same here.
There is a part in the sewers when you don't follow a certain path your partner will disappear. I had to load the game again.
I'm another victim of this. I finished the Slaughterhause part and suddenly double H was gone. I was convinced that he would somehow magically reappear and I went to the headquarters, just to start a cutscene (just finished a mission). After the cutscene a glitchy version of the partner appeared, but he didn't move and I could walk right through him. It's a great compliment for Ancel & co that I didn't mind playing through the game again all that much.

PC Gaijin

DarknessTear said:
Is the XBox version at least good? Nobody has said Xbox.

Xbox version is fine. At least in the sense I didn't have any problems or glitches while playing the game (a rental).

ShinNL

Jeff-DSA said:
Even though I played it longer than games like RE4, I don't neccesarily disagree with him. The game was okay, but not as special as I thought. But it could be the lack of 60hz screwing my opinion (you know what that means? 20% slower gameplay, including 20% slower travel, 20% slower racing, 20% slower battle, etc. etc.)

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
"I played the PS2 version originally and I came across a glitch that caused my partner to dissapear and made it impossible to progress any farther."

Yeah, that's in the cube version as well.

It happened to me on the PS2 version, but I completed the GC version without ever hitting that problem or any like it.

I'd post my comments about this game, but they're quite long... maybe I should anyway, they are things worth saying. :)

Does the story have anything to do at all with Nietzsche's philosophy?

No. As usual it's just using the name to make the game sound like it actually has some plot depth, which it doesn't...

Mr Jared

The XBOX and Gamecube versions are pretty much the same.

If this ever becomes backwards compatable, or I actually buy the GC version, I plan on replaying BG&E on my 360/Wii when the time comes :D

A Black Falcon said:
I'd post my comments about this game, but they're quite long... maybe I should anyway, they are things worth saying. :)

No. As usual it's just using the name to make the game sound like it actually has some plot depth, which it doesn't...

So tell me, what's it like to be completely wrong?

ShinNL

A Black Falcon said:
My mind went "What kind of post is this?" ballistic when I read that. How... what... is that even an argument? An announcement of your next post? Urrr....

By the way, the Dutch version had Dutch voice-acting, with no way to switch to English. That was... awkward. But it was pretty good though.

Maybe I should replay it. It had purrty graphics. :)

Dunpeal said:
Xbox, doesn't it have 480p? The gamecube version doesn't i think.

That's true, the Cube version doesn't. I assume the Xbox version does. The PS2 version does 480p, actually, but enabling it distorts the aspect ratio and creates artifacts on some sprites. Wacky.

Feindflug

Dunpeal said:
Xbox, doesn't it have 480p? The gamecube version doesn't i think.

Yep, the XBOX version has 480p and looks awesome. ^___^

btw I have both the XBOX & GC versions and played the PS2 version - avoid the PS2 version if you can find the one of the other 2 versions, XBOX version is the best IMO, it has slightly better textures & better IQ.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
bard said:
GC simply because the controller is better. :) It's also the most difficult one to find.
It was difficult for me to find it less than three months after it was released. After that I never saw a new copy of the GCN version in a store again.

I liked the xbox version, i thought it was too short though. Its actually one of those titles I wish I still had, I always look for the gamecube version when im in a game store (never to find, never to find...)

RyuHayate

I just got this game for Xbox and now it's now one of my all-time favorite titles. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with it performance wise.

bard

Fuzzy said:
It was difficult for me to find it less than three months after it was released. After that I never saw a new copy of the GCN version in a store again.
I eventually managed to score a used copy from Amazon. Paid around $20 for it I believe. PS2 version normally goes for half that, new.

It's just hard to decide what to say when (on several other forums) I've written some pretty long posts about this game before, what is worth including...

(quoting myself, with a few edits made)
http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=48095&start=0
-Story -- simplistic, predictable, juvenile. They went a little bit of the way towards creating an interesting world, but beat you over the head with the message (yes, I get it, the government uses propaganda to control its people! ... if propaganda was really like that, it'd never be believed... it's a simple cartoon charicature of a government propaganda campaign...) and really put very little depth into the thing... once in a while the game tries to be more, and have true depth and an interesting, unique plot, but then it decends back into its normal simple conventions, and you realize that the potential the game has is not even close to being realized. The characters lack depth and are not very interesting, beyond the basic action/adventure kind of way (the praise this game gets leads you to believe that it is something more than just a typical action/adventure/RPG, but it really isn't, sadly...)... character development? Um, not much. Oh yes, and the Plot... Very simplistic and full of massive plot holes created by its very simplicity.

Really, it could have been great... with an interesting sci-fi story about aliens controlling a government and forcing policies bad for them on them by creating an other 'evil alien threat' that could have been done well... but the way it is done here, it simply does not achieve that. It needs less cartoony touches and more believable, complex plot... well, either that or it needs to drop all pretentions of depth and admit that it is the simple game that it is... one or the other. Being most of the way towards one end while making vague attempts at times to be on the other side does not work. (Such as the game's name... using the name of a Nietzsche book for a work so simplistic and utterly unrelated to anything he ever thought of is incredibly insulting to his work...)

-To be specific about my plot criticism. The simplicity of the scenario creates an impossible situation that I cannot ignore. One frequently-mentioned "good thing" about this game is the fact that as you progress in your campaign for the truth, people start to notice and protest... but... 1) That rebel cell base sure isn't hidden all that obtusely... 2) They have in it a line with direct contact to the planetary GOVERNOR'S office??? Huh??? This makes no sense... wouldn't the aliens have such options as as 'wiretapping' or 'monitoring what the puppet government is doing'? 3) If the bad guys were a real government that were as controlling as the game says they are, they would not allow protests like you see in the game to happen. The protestors would simply be squished as soon as they appeared. The way the game does it greatly hurts the game's realism and believability. Yes, I know that simple can be good, and complex might hurt the game's humor (which is mostly pretty good), but I'm sure they could make it work as a much better-realized game that has a much more cohesive, believable world than this one does... it really hurt the believability for me, even when I did know I should ignore it because the game is not trying to be complex.

-Gameplay -- this is not "stealth". Stealth is where you avoid things, or get punished. This is puzzle-rooms. Look at room. Solve puzzle in room. Go to next room. Solve puzzle in room. Yes, often that puzzle involves keeping away from enemies, but "stealth" it is not in anyone's wildest dreams... no game where all you have to do to escape from the guards is run back into the last hallway (in the linearly-laid-out dungeon), hide in the conveniently located dead-end drainage pipe in that hall between rooms, wait for the enemy to shoot at the wall for a few seconds, and try again, has "stealth". Just like with the story, the simplicity of this system makes it much less interesting than such things are in better games. Play Thief. Or even Lost Vikings, in the 'puzzle/adventure' category (if you ditch the ridiculous 'stealth' label)... now that was a great game...

-Combat. Very simple button-mashing.. hit attack. Do combo. Repeat. Sure, it's somewhat fun, and certainly vastly more entertaining than the tedium of the combat in Star Fox Adventures (that game makes BG&E look amazingly good...), but still, it's very simple. Not much here.

-Difficulty. The game is extremely lenient. Often, the best way to beat challenging enemies is to die, because you will start again in the same room (reset, but that's no penalty)... with MORE HEALTH THAN YOU STARTED WITH. Yeah, "difficult" this game is not. The health dispenser things are worthless since the best way to heal yourself is just to die...

-Money... I found myself without enough money (and with lots available to buy) a lot of the time. Maybe I just needed to return to old areas to farm monsters more often, but it was often annoying.

-Hype! Really, the massive hype for this game made me think that it'd be a great game, but I was extremely dissapointed... between the simple gameplay, simplistic story, basic message, lacking difficulty, etc. means that it just doesn't live up to it. This is the biggest problem with the game, really. If I'd gone in expecting a fun, but flawed, little game, perhaps I'd have enjoyed it, but after it'd been so massively hyped by so many people, finding it to be what it was was very dissapointing, even if it is overall a pretty good game...

Now... before it looks like I hate this game, I don't hate it. It's a decent game... B-range, I'd say. It has plenty of good things going for it, like a great sense of style and very nice graphical design. The graphics are great, and the artwork even better... The combat is a bit more fun than in some other games of this type (though that's not saying a whole lot). The story and characters are decent too, once you accept the game as the game it is and not the game that most people seem to claim it to be. Going around in the overworld with the hovercraft is fun, when the framerate isn't in single digits. The dungeons are well designed and almost always fun. The game has some clever puzzles, definitely. I'd like to finish it someday... oh yes, and really, the dungeons are the best part of the game -- most of the bad of the game goes away (all that is left is the pitifully simple difficulty level, really), and much of the good stands out... but on the whole? Beyond Good and Evil is a deeply flawed game. I do hope that a sequel is made, however. There are some good ideas here, and Michel Ancel can be amazingly good (Rayman 2 is astoundingly brilliant and is still one of the greatest 3d platformers ever made...) when he tries. This was clearly an attempt at a deep original property, and hopefully if they make another one they can realize it as such...

The real problem with this game probably was that it claimed to be trying to do more and be truly different from what had come before... and then it got all this hype that from people saying that it had succeeded... but, sadly, it just hadn't done that. Still, the basic idea was a good one. Like with most every aspect of the game, everything could have been done better than it was... it didn't really end up playing, or seeming, much different than what had come before. t is true though that the 'female journalist' thing was a bit different, and they did succeed at the 'female main character, but not a Lara Croft-style 'exists just for the sexuality' kind of character... and the pictures thing worked, as a collection element. It was certainly more fun than the frusterating task of collecting enough money to get all those stupid pearls with...

Really, probably a big part of my dissapointment was expectations. I'd read about the game, and thought it sounded amazing (a Zelda-ish game from the guy behind Rayman 2? I want that!)... a somewhat original game concept (female/journalist/etc), what seemed like the potential for some good storytelling, great artwork and art design (of course), etc... and then the reviews... and then it came out, and later I got it (for $20, so it wasn't too much, and not right at launch, but that doesn't really matter, what determines if a game was worth getting is how fun it is and how much you like it...)... and it just didn't live up to that. 'Accept that it's childish'? But that's the thing, IT doesn't completely accept that... it partially does, but it partially does not... it should have stuck to one or the other. Don't hint at a much more complex, deep storyline if you aren't actually following that plot... story is good, but not as much so when it's as simple and overdone as this. Really, though they don't necessarially have to make the story deep and complex, though I'd love to see that... they could just have it be at the level it is, but implemented better. Make the story more interesting and less predictable (as it is, there is nothing that you don't see coming ten steps ahead...). Make the conspiracy a bit more subtle. Have some less linear dungeons... and make it slightly harder, and make it a bit harder to escape the guards... in general, take what they had, but improve it. That's what I'd hope for from a sequel...

Part of this just seems to be opinion, though, like the 'how much do you like the characters' thing... how I just could not get past the hurdles and say 'it's great anyway' like I can with some games... there were too many of them, and they were too serious. But though I had issues with it, I kept going because I was having fun... money problems excepted... until I ran into that can't-get-past-it bug in that level that kept me from progressing, and I quit. Since I doubt that trying again would magically get me past the point, I'm not sure if going back would be worth it... especially given how much money I need, and how getting it isn't that fun... I probably will someday, but not that soon I expect. I would if I knew that the game would actually work... but the controls of this PC version are just so awful... I have a dual analog joystick! LET ME USE IT! Lazy, lazy port.

Oh yeah, I also think they maybe should have kept Jade's original design... they changed her to look a bit older and more experienced... (ignoring the obvious improvement of 'the final version used more polys') -- see IGN's early screenshots for Jade's original design.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm staying at a friend of the families house.... I'm reading this thread... I turn to my left, and what do I see? BG&E sitting there, in a ubisoft 3-pack for the PC, never installed. NICE!

Yeah it's the supposedly crummy PC version, but I'm not buying it, I'm just playing it.... All right!....

Top Bottom