• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space X Jason-3 launch 1/17 10:42am PST/1:42pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Heads up SpaceX will be having a launch tomorrow. They'll be attempting to land a Falcon 9 rocket on a floating barge.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-launch-sunday-january-17-20160116-story.html

Link to the livestream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivdKRJzl6y0

SpaceX is set to launch an international ocean-monitoring satellite from Vandenberg, California Sunday morning.

Targeted liftoff of the Falcon 9 with the Jason-3 satellite is scheduled for 10:42 a.m. PST/1:42 p.m. EST with a 30-second launch window, according to NASA. There is a zero percent chance of weather issues, U.S. Air Force meteorologists said Saturday. A backup time is available Monday.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Here's hoping it works! This will help to use less fuel for the landings. Best of luck, SpaceX!

cebri.one

Countdown
t1453056000z0.png

Jezbollah

Top stuff Nelo Ice - nice post. was meaning to post something about JASON 3.

Looks like the sea is a bit choppy for the landing barge, but still well below maximum tolerances.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
BTW

This is the last flight of F9 v1.1

falcon9_upgraded.jpg

They are expecting a 33% increase in performance with the new model.
I thought v1.2 flew last time already (supercooled fuel, etc).

Jezbollah

1.2 flew for the first time last time around. This is the last of the v1.1 rocket launches.

JASON 3 has been postponed quite a bit, especially since the loss of CRS-7.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
1.2 flew for the first time last time around. This is the last of the v1.1 rocket launches.

JASON 3 has been postponed quite a bit, especially since the loss of CRS-7.
Gotcha. Thanks.

Oriel

Space launches never used to have such excitement about them, they tended to be dull, boring affairs. We should all be thankful of Musk for revitalising the formally moribund space launch sector.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Space launches never used to have such excitement about them, they tended to be dull, boring affairs. We should all be thankful of Musk for revitalising the formally moribund space launch sector.
Yup Musk is my freaking hero and I'm even more of a fanboy after reading his bio lol. I always post about his exploits on social media but rarely anyone else cares :(.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk

I dunno, I still got teary-eyed watching all of the space shuttle launches. This is definitely just as exciting though, and probably more so

Nelo Ice

Banned
You're not alone :(

It makes sad sometimes when no one else is excited or in some cases even knows who he is. Like cmon his goal is to get us to Mars and make us an interplanetary species while also getting us on clean cheap renewable energy. Not to mention he's serious about making alot of sci-fi stuff a reality. Like I would love to work for one his companies. And he's the one guy I would be willing to work well over the standard 40 hr week for if it meant I'd be helping out those missions.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So they're going for a re-landing attempt on this one too right?

Yes, this time on a barge. Because there are missions with high fuel demand, so they can't spare the additional fuel to return to the same landing spot.

Stream is on, awesome.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok I thought they'd want a visual in case things go bad.

Oriel

Dat fog! Anyone know which is the best stream? I'm using this one:

http://livestream.com/spacex/events/4695903

and it seems to be the most up to date one. The YouTube link seems to be quite a bit of a lag on it.

And we're good to go.

I dunno, I still got teary-eyed watching all of the space shuttle launches. This is definitely just as exciting though, and probably more so

That's true but I get the feeling more people are becoming interested in space thanks to the work of SpaceX.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Suggestion from the SpaceX engineer: "turn your speakers up, because this is the last time you're hearing the readiness pull".

They're using different configurations, it seems, from now on.

ALL GO. LETS DO THIS.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

It really helps that SpaceX is trying new things, like landing rockets.

For the longest time, NASA missions were all essentially the same as the last, so the only time there was a new development was when something went wrong during the mission unfortunately :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom