• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Falcon 9 BulgariaSat-1 Launch & 1st Stage Droneship Landing. Jun 23 3:10 PM ET

cameron

t1498245000z1.png

Youtube Stream: BulgariaSat-1 Launch Webcast

zWeSyj5.png

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/878297403685617664

Mission Overview via the Press Kit:
SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket will deliver BulgariaSat-1, a commercial communications satellite, to a Geostationary Transfer Orbit (GTO). BulgariaSat-1 is the first geostationary communications satellite in Bulgaria’s history.

SpaceX is targeting launch of BulgariaSat-1 from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The two-hour launch window opens on Monday, June 19, at 2:10 p.m. EDT, or 18:10 UTC, with a backup launch opportunity on Tuesday, June 20, at 2:10 p.m. EDT, or 18:10 UTC. The satellite will be deployed approximately 35 minutes after launch.

Falcon 9’s first stage for the BulgariaSat-1 mission previously supported the Iridium-1 mission from Vandenberg Air Force Base in January of this year.

Following stage separation, Falcon 9’s first stage will attempt a landing on the “Of Course I Still Love You” droneship, which will be stationed in the Atlantic Ocean.
CMMIWot.png

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/878259699367297025
zxdQr6Q.png

Jezbollah

Nice one Cameron.

We have a double header of SpaceX launches this weekend with Iridium Next 2 from Vandy as well. And just before tonight's launch we have a Soyuz mission too...

Jezbollah

Tweet from The Boss:

"Falcon 9 will experience its highest ever reentry force and heat in today's launch. Good chance rocket booster doesn't make it back."

Dougald

How much reconditioning do SpaceX currently need to do on these relaunched first stages, do we know? While I'm sure they have to re-check everything, I'm assuming that the engines are designed in a way that avoids say, the ridiculous amount of work that had to be done on the "reusable" space shuttle?

Jezbollah

How much reconditioning do SpaceX currently need to do on these relaunched first stages, do we know? While I'm sure they have to re-check everything, I'm assuming that the engines are designed in a way that avoids say, the ridiculous amount of work that had to be done on the "reusable" space shuttle?

We don't know. I think they themselves are learning these procedures and are streamlining them.

Par Score

We don't know, and at this point I doubt they know either.

This is the second re-use of a 1st stage, this one went up for the first time in January, so until there have been a lot more re-flights it'll be hard to say.

Jezbollah

As Dan27 suggests, the landing likely impacted the legs. Not so much that it would collapse, but definitely not the most stable touchdown.

I suspect it landed hard in the centre, used up the crush core (a honeycomb structure used as a dampening element) and bounced out towards the side.

They need to get to that core asap to stabilise it.

Jezbollah

Wonder if they will say what caused the extra hard landing

The rocket was coming in hotter and faster due to the mission requirements, and with the same amount of fuel - so the rocket would have not been able to slow it down as much as the more comfortable landings.

Edit: Payload sep. Total mission success.

Trickster

The rocket was coming in hotter and faster due to the mission requirements, and with the same amount of fuel - so the rocket would have not been able to slow it down as much as the more comfortable landings.

Makes sense, though I imagine they would have changed something prior to launch if they expected it to land in this fashion. So I'm curious if they failed to take certain things into account or if some other factors played a part.

Jezbollah

Makes sense, though I imagine they would have changed something prior to launch if they expected it to land in this fashion. So I'm curious if they failed to take certain things into account or if some other factors played a part.

It's expected, and taken into account - they don't have enough fuel to land back on land - so they save fuel by using a ballistic trajectory to land 600-odd kilometres out into the ocean on the drone ship. This kind of thing is something they've done before - for example with JCSAT 14 - which was another hard landing from GTO. (see here)

Of course, you have other orbital parameters and different weight payloads that can affect the type of landing you can perform - and some missions like we've seen recently have been using expendable Falcon 9s because there simply isn't enough fuel for landing.

There is a final version of Falcon 9 to come that should allow more comfortable landings on launches such as this, and also to completely eliminate the missions where previously expendable versions of F9 have had to be used. That version should see first use later this year.

s_mirage

To be fair, they said they weren't super confident of landing this one at all, so it looks like a good result.

Top Bottom