• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak |OT| An expedition was sent

Lime

Looked at a number of reviews from sites I trust.

Not really ready to throw money at this thing since the campaign is so short and the multiplayer has so few maps.

Otherwise I'd jump into this like a rabid dog.

It also came to me as a surprise that this game was originally Hardware Shipbreakers. Shipbreakers had the steepest early access price when it was announced (~200 USD or something silly like that). But Shipbreakers was about traveling to distant planets, scouring the deserts for relic spaceships and building your own in the process. It also had a stronger alien element in it. I am glad that these guys managed to release the game, but their original vision was way different.

I will wait a bit and see where this thing goes. Right now coughing up 40 EUR for a 13 mission campaign and not much else seems like a lot.

If you don't already have the Homeworld collection, you also get that on top of DoK.

undu

The comments about the poor AI worry to me, I usually play this game for the campaign or against the machine. :/

Remmy2112

Rather loved Homeworld 2 and mods for it so I may eventually check out this game after I eventually play through Homeworld 1, Cataclysm, and Homeworld 2 again.

Lime

The Expedition Guide that is included for those who pre-order has the following details:

From the steam comments from BBI:
A few key points you might be interested in as a fan:

-Martin Cirulis is the writer. You may know him from the original Homeworld manual and Homeworld backstory

-Word count is roughly 30,000 (Your average mystery novel is 60,000 to 80,000)

-~25,000 of those words is new writing on the lore, backstory and Kiith history by Martin

-It also includes a profound amount of making of video, audio and visual content.

-This is retro-active if you have already pre-ordered, it also applies to those of you with Prospector's Guide keys.

You best preorder in the next 4 hours if you want this for free along with the Homeworld Remastered collection. This seems like a pretty damn good deal to me.

Lazlo

I bought it not only cause it looks great but to support the IP - would love to see more games in this series in the future.

Yup I decided to pick it up last night after reading the steam page, plus the homewold remakes being thrown in is a nice bonus. I'm happy that besides Starcraft I'm finding RTS' to buy again.

epmode

I'm guessing it'll actually unlock at 1PM Eastern, like most games. The pre-order deal was apparently timed to expire an hour ahead of time.

iFirez

Just played the Campaign Tutorial, getting really good vibes already. The soundtrack is almost Battlestar Galactica like at times. More Homeworld games now please!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just played the Campaign Tutorial, getting really good vibes already. The soundtrack is almost Battlestar Galactica like at times. More Homeworld games now please!

Hopefully this sells well enough that we get a proper Homeworld 3.

If not I am going to be one depressed guy. Since the property was pretty much resurrected from certain death, and given a second chance.

This is the second chance people! Lets kickstart Homeworld 3 with this title.

Lime

Blackbird Interactive said on their Facebook page that they'd love to develop a Homeworld 3 but it depends on the sales of this title and Gearbox

Justinian

Loving the game so far but the performance is pretty poor. I should not be seeing 35 fps on an i7 GTX 980 Ti system. I just know it's Unity's fault too which is such a shame.

Shepard

Anyone had any luck with downsampling? As with any other Unity game, changing the resolution does nothing.
PS:. Played the tutorial, feels just like homeworld. :D

Lime

DSR don't work in this game - it defaults to 1080p. I need to change my monitor's resolution in Windows to enable 2160p in the game.

Here are some shots I did at 1080p with some Reshade (mostly just Sweetfx presets) to give the game some color:
desertsofkharak642016tbs7f.jpg
desertsofkharak6420162xsyo.jpg

desertsofkharak642016n6sgq.jpg
desertsofkharak642016xassk.jpg

From http://steamcommunity.com/app/281610/discussions/0/451851477866950501/#p2

"Go to steamappscommonDeserts of Kharak

Open settings.json with notepad

Replace in "ScreenSettings" :

* "Fullscreen" : true,
* "m_Fullscreen" : true
* "width" : 1920

by

* "Fullscreen" : false
* "m_Fullscreen" : false
* "width" : 2560

Save the file

Right clic on the file, clic property , set to READ ONLY (checkbox)

Run the game, and when u are in game, press ALT ENTER for full screen."

Demigod Mac

Game is awesome so far. Definitely has that unmistakable Homeworld vibe. If you played the originals you'll feel right at home with the controls.

It appears the Unity engine fears were justified unfortunately, but the performance issues don't ruin the experience by any means.

Human_me

From http://steamcommunity.com/app/281610/discussions/0/451851477866950501/#p2

"Go to steamappscommonDeserts of Kharak

Open settings.json with notepad

Replace in "ScreenSettings" :

* "Fullscreen" : true,
* "m_Fullscreen" : true

by

* "Fullscreen" : false
* "m_Fullscreen" : false

Save the file

Right clic on the file, clic property , set to READ ONLY (checkbox)

Run the game, and when u are in game, press ALT ENTER for full screen."

Funnily enough, I tried that It worked once but then reset afterwards. Despite its "Read Only" box ticked.

I spoke to Fraser Brown of PCGN, and he was also one of the lucky ones who didn't have any performance issues. Hope the sub-optimum framerate issues get solved for those who are affected.

OST is also available on Steam now, so that'll be today's purchase.

Lime

Thanks for the notice - that's smart of BBI :) I'll get it once I've finished the game. I usually want to associate the music with the experiences I've had with the game before listening to it without context.

Nzyme32

Really enjoying it thus far, and surprised it stays at a steady 30fps on my 4 year old laptop.

For anyone worried about the games campaign being called "too easy" by some outlets playing on normal, it appears to be intentional if the difficult naming scheme is anything to go by. There is Easy, Normal (default) and Classic. I'd suggest classic for veterans of the originals

Will definitely buy. Would have been nice if it was part of the preorder. Ah well, will pick it up once I've finished the game. Love the music I've heard thus far

Boogdud

Loving the game so far but the performance is pretty poor. I should not be seeing 35 fps on an i7 GTX 980 Ti system. I just know it's Unity's fault too which is such a shame.

This is my biggest concern. All of the previews I saw looked like the performance was pretty bad. Was hoping to hear some good news.

TheTrain

I've played 4 missions at this point and, honestly, performance are really good on my end [For an Unity game at least]. Never below 58FPS with an average of ~70FPS when shit is blowing up. Tutorial was 144FPS locked but there is...nothing on the screen :p

I7 6700K
16GB

The feeling of the click is great, on par with Starcraft

Serra

Reading reviews/previews and watching a few videos this looks almost like the original Ground Control, which I LOVE! Like really really similar, visuals, line of sight, high ground, etc.

Anyone who has played both can compare the two?

Karak

Man that is too bad. That fits in with the 10 or so people I just discussed this with, some reviewers, some gamers. It seems like it just needed to cook longer.

Nzyme32

One really frustrating thing that I hope they can patch out, is that when using the right mouse to move the camera around, even though the cursor is not visible, it still moves as if you are controlling the cursor rather than camera - so what ends up happening is that when you turn too far and you release the right mouse button, the cursor pops back and is already at the edge of the screen, panning the camera and losing focus of the units you were tracking

Sure you can just press F again to get back in focus, but it's too annoying since I end up doing that sort of thing every minute.

patapuf

Reading reviews/previews and watching a few videos this looks almost like the original Ground Control, which I LOVE! Like really really similar, visuals, line of sight, high ground, etc.

The gameplay is quite different. Ground control is much more micro heavy and focused on micro of individual squads, while the home world series focuses more on using your various attack groups right (it's also slower).

Height and LOS is big in both, though i don't think directional armor is a thing in kharak?

Kharak also has minimal resource management and research. Your units also carry over from mission to mission so doing badly in one can make the next very difficult.

Lime

Gameplay is more like Homeworld but on a 2D planetary scale instead of 3D space than it is Ground Control.

GC also had faster battles and positional tactics, whereas this one has slower battles with less positional tactics (still a height advantage though).

Up to the fifth mission in the campaign and I'm noticing some significant stuttering when in-game, as well as the audio crackling, only occurred on this mission but its a weird thing to be cropping up considering my system.

I7 4790K 4.00 GHZ
GTX 970 3.5GB (hah)
16GB DDR3 1600 Mhz ram
Windows 10

One really frustrating thing that I hope they can patch out, is that when using the right mouse to move the camera around, even though the cursor is not visible, it still moves as if you are controlling the cursor rather than camera - so what ends up happening is that when you turn too far and you release the right mouse button, the cursor pops back and is already at the edge of the screen, panning the camera and losing focus of the units you were tracking

Sure you can just press F again to get back in focus, but it's too annoying since I end up doing that sort of thing every minute.

Or, as is my gripe, I end up sending my selected unit(s) to a different location when I rotate my camera and the cursor isn't released over the unit I'm ogling.

Truth be told, I need to futz about with the camera options - sticky etc.

Human_me

So the Expedition Guide has popped up on the DLC list, I'm downloading it now.
It's 606mb.

EDIT: I'm playing with it now and its very cool.

Reminds me a lot of those big fat manuals you got with certain games, Where it had a wealth of info on the game, backstory, factions and units.

Man.... I miss game manuals.

This was probably posted elsewhere, but worthy of a repost. From the BBI forums:

BBI Admin said:
Hey guys, just wanted to fire a quick reply to this. We do have plans for paid DLC in the near future. Exactly what is coming still in discussion and development for the most part, but it is a part of the plan and we don't want to give any false impressions.

The first piece we've announced is the Expedition Guide. Like we've said in the announcement, this is a big thank you for everyone who pre-ordered, and will be available for purchase after launch. The Expedition Guide was a massive effort for a very dedicated team, and we are confident that whether you pre-ordered or buy it after the fact, you will think so too.

Post-launch we are looking at several options to extend the replayability of the game. I can say with certainty that we will not ever consider charging for multiplayer maps or anything that would split our online community from being able to play with each other. Just like you, we have an interest in making Deserts of Kharak a long-term success, and that means keeping you guys, our audience, happy.

We are considering several paid content options for the MP game in the short term, and we would happily consider additional campaign content in the long term as well. The reason for doing this isn't to gouge any of you, but so we can commit to an extremely long period of support for the community we expect will want to play this game.

Our commitment along the way will be to listen to you 100% of the way, and always aim for the highest quality of content in every capacity. You will not see cheap cash grabs from us, and if you feel otherwise as we go, please let us know and we will listen.

Lastly, I hope to see you all online tomorrow. Watching the chart positions on steam has been fun, but really we care more about seeing you play it and tell us what you think.

It's why we built this studio, this game, and this forum, after all.

Top Bottom