• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon - Final Stage, Ancho-V Games, Arriving 1/21 (NA), 1/22 (EU/JP)

• Thread starter Deleted member 465307
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Splatoon US Tumblr said:
A new stage, Ancho-V Games, is joining the rotation tomorrow (1/21) at 6:00 pm PT. The setting this time around is inside the offices of the developers of hit indie games like “Squid Jump.” Keep an eye out for some of the jellyfish development team, hard at work (and under a strict NDA!) on their next title. Hope they don’t mind the mess!

One feature of this stage are the PC-fan shaped propellers that can be inked to move portions of the floor. Use these to exploit the stage’s verticality and gain the high ground over your opponents. What role do these things play in game development, anyway?

tumblr_o1a5e6pHqn1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1a5e6pHqn1u3akyno2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o1a5e6pHqn1u3akyno3_1280.jpg

More images at the Splatoon Tumblr.

This brings the final stage count to 16.

Didn't see a thread about this already. Splat me if late.

L95

aren't octolings fully playable through hacking? Nothing ever came of it?

Yup, and nothing. Though there are a ton of clothing clipping issues with the Octos (their chests clip through shirts and they kinda can't wear hats lol) Apparently fully functional with their own character slot otherwise tho.
Why would they be playable when they have the Octoling headgear???

That'd be redundant.

The only bummer is Judd the Cat isn't playable.
huh?

J@hranimo

Banned
can't wait to log in at the wrong hours and not play this

Every new map is in every rotation for the first 48 hours.

....but you knew that right? ;)

Map looks awesome. It's been a good run and it's nice we got this and Piranha Pit as two bonus maps plus the ones already announced there would be post launch.

Neoxon

It's the end of an era. Can't wait to try out this stage & I look forward to what the Splatoon devs have planned for the future.

Scum

Hold your heads up high, Garage Nintendo. You've done a fucking astounding job, from start to finish, with Splatoon. Here's to Spla2n!

really wish they'd at least do 3 stages every 2 hours if they insist with the schedule thing. every 2 stages every 4 hours is just rediclous.

Ahnez

And the final stage arrives. Its been a while since the content updates started

Too bad octolings probably won't happen..

It's the end of an era. Can't wait to try out this stage & I look forward to what the Splatoon devs have planned for the future.

I wonder what they'll do for the inevitable sequel.

They will probably go the safe route because people love what's already there.

Obviously they can introduce new weapon types, etc...

Maybe an expanded singleplayer.

Every new map is in every rotation for the first 48 hours.

....but you knew that right? ;)

Map looks awesome. It's been a good run and it's nice we got this and Piranha Pit as two bonus maps plus the ones already announced there would be post launch.

Yeah, they pimp the fuck out of the new maps.

I swear I know Piranha Pit like the back of my hand and conversely, I forgot the layout of Arowana Mall;]

Neoxon

They could also expand upon the local multiplayer, but that depends on a number of factors...
  • Will the NX Platform retain a touch screen on the console's controller & the (probable) handheld's screen? If not, will the gameplay be changed to accommodate the lack of a touch screen on the NX Console's controller?
  • If the former point is true, will the NX Console support multiple touch screen controllers?
  • Is Spla2n a massive graphical leap compared to the first game? If so, it would limit the developers' options as far as local multiplayer goes.

AdanVC

Looks great. Those new features with the fan are a good touch. So this is the end of Splatoon updates? :( Not even DLC to looks forward? Time for devs to work on Spla2n now then!

They could also expand upon the local multiplayer, but that depends on a number of factors...
  • Will the NX Platform retain a touch screen on the console's controller & the (probable) handheld's screen? If not, will the gameplay be changed to accommodate the lack of a touch screen on the NX Console's controller?
  • If the former point is true, will the NX Console support multiple touch screen controllers?
  • Is Spla2n a massive graphical leap compared to the first game? If so, it would limit the developers' options as far as local multiplayer goes.

I don't see how it could look much better.

Obviously it's not the best looking game of all time but it's clean and has great art.

I was actually thinking about the next one's graphics and I was for some reason thinking about how fancy the menus could look.

It'll look better but I think they should focus on more streamlined features.

I don't think you should be able to change your loadout after each death but when playing with friends, it's really annoying that you can't change them after staying in the same group.

weekev

Banned
Came to this thread to say this. I still havent played one of the maps from last year cause its never in a rotation that suits the time i want to play.

Yeah this is a problem, instead of the 2 hour rotation, now that all the maps are out they should switch to new round rotation.

Yeah this is a problem, instead of the 2 hour rotation, now that all the maps are out they should switch to new round rotation.

They know people don't like how it is now but I wouldn't expect a huge change.

They'll probably get bored with nothing new to add and put in a third map or something though.

Dr. Buni

This is bittersweet, as I have been following this game from the moment it was announced. Can't wait for the Splatoon 2 announcement in a few years.

Lothars

Some of the ways Nintendo handled Splatoon initally turned me off the game and I never got back into it but It's good they are still released maps for it.

I hope they really step it up in a sequel and fix some of the major issues with the game, it has potential to be great.

Bittersweet but I think this is the most updated Nintendo game to date right? And for free no less.

I'm sure a sequel is in the works. In the meantime, I'm waiting for either player chooses map (surely there's enough online players to find a team) or expanded rotation.

Also...I'm kind of shocked they never used the "rails" mechanic from single player. That was scrapped in de Blob and now here its only used in one mode. Why can't we have ink based game heroes riding on ink rails? ;-;

L95

Bittersweet but I think this is the most updated Nintendo game to date right? And for free no less.

I'm sure a sequel is in the works. In the meantime, I'm waiting for either player chooses map (surely there's enough online players to find a team) or expanded rotation.

Also...I'm kind of shocked they never used the "rails" mechanic from single player. That was scrapped in de Blob and now here its only used in one mode. Why can't we have ink based game heroes riding on ink rails? ;-;

Oh, man, the inkrails were cool. I wonder what would happen if the ink color going through it was changed when you were in it though? I guess you'd just fall out.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
What about the Jellies tho

I want every NPC playable. In particular I'd like Jelonzo, Annie, and Judd. If it requires amiibo to make it happen, so be it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
They can't die from the ink so they're too OP.

I'd take a separate mode where they act like hero characters à la Star Wars Battlefront. Or maybe some kind of local co-op mode where they function like different character pre-set classes.

Not that I expect these things but improvements I could see made for the sequel:

Expanded Single-player- a more robust adventure that builds on the creativity and ideas seen in the original single player. It should also build the world a little more and flesh it out. Inkopolis and the single player aspect felt bare bones. Perhaps they could incorporate the secret mission tunnels into an actual city. Inkopolis could be a large city/island, they could incorporate different missions all around the island and also finding the hidden secret underground passages. The center of the city would be the same plaza as in the original.

Multiplayer:
Local Multiplayer- should be a priority! If Splatoon had local multiplayer it'd probably be an even bigger success that it has been. It's harder for word of mouth to grow when you can't really play local multiplayer/coop on it. It also would somewhat alleviate people's frustration of not being able to play certain maps when they want to.

4 maps every 3 hour rotations. Allow you to bring two load outs(preselected clothing and weapon combo) without having to leave the lobby. Have the lobby be a bit similar to the MK8 lobby. Allow you to view other inkling's load outs and order stuff while there. Also can use some pretty selected Splatoon Emojis/sayings(similar to Triforce Heroes). Or you can just play one of those minigames while you wait. Also since they are going to more than likely go the no VC route, it'd be nice to have more phrases than cmon and booyah.

Ranked mode could share the same map rotations as turf battle but allow you to vote on which mode to play it on(or have 3 available at a time). Include the original 3 modes and introduce 3 new ones.

As for map count, I'd say 25 maps total but launching with 10 maps and 4 modes. Have 9 of the maps return from the original Splatoon. I'm curious about Ancho-V Games and how it will turn out because I'd be somewhat interested in more stage specific gimmicks like this and in Mahi Mahi Resort.

There should also be someway to allow others to play the game without them having to use your character/save. It's hard to get people interested in the game when anytime they play they are forced to use my character who is at a high level and high ranking which means they get annihilated on multiplayer and don't enjoy it as much.

Playable characters:
Inkling further customization options(hair styles?), ink colors, pant customization, etc.

Perhaps other playable characters. They could introduce different playable sea creature/human species like Inkling and Octoling. They could offer four different species playable that offer slightly different stats and abilities than Inklings.

Top Bottom