• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Q3 FY16: Battlefront over 13 million shipped, EA #1 Pub PS4/XB1, $889M cash flow

Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics:

EA is the #1 publisher on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One consoles in the Western World for calendar year 2015 based on available sources and EA estimates.

Madden NFL 16 was the #1 sports title in the U.S. and FIFA 16 was the #1 title across all genres in Europe for calendar year 2015.

The return of Need for Speed™ drew more than twice as many monthly active players in Q3 than the previous game.

Players logged more than 150 million hours of gameplay across Battlefield 4™ and Battlefield™ Hardline in Q3.

In Q3, STAR WARS™: The Old Republic grew to its highest subscriber level in nearly three years.

Madden NFL Mobile monthly active players were up nearly 50% year-over-year in Q3.

Selected Financial Highlights:

For the quarter, non-GAAP net revenue of $1.803 billion was above guidance of $1.775 billion. Diluted non-GAAP EPS of $1.83 was above guidance of $1.75. And operating cash flow of $889 million was a record for any quarter in EA history.

STAR WARS™ Battlefront surpassed EA’s fiscal year guidance of 13 million units sold-in.

Non-GAAP net revenue for EA’s FIFA, Madden NFL and Hockey Ultimate Team™ live services continue to perform well in Q3, collectively up 13% year-over-year and up 22% on a constant currency basis.

EA repurchased 1.8 million shares in Q3 for $126 million.

On a trailing twelve month basis, EA had non-GAAP net revenue of $4.538 billion (of which a record $2.421 billion was digital), non-GAAP net income of $982 million and operating cash flow of $1.025 billion.

EA increased fiscal 2016 non-GAAP net revenue guidance to $4.517 billion and diluted non-GAAP EPS guidance to $3.04 per share. This is an increase from our previous guidance of $4.500 billion and $3.00, respectively.

http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=952277

HowZatOZ

Banned
Sold in is sold to customer, correct? Impressive either way, though I still have my doubts about the game and its longitivity on PC without dedicated servers but it does look to b a well made game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wait I thought EA no longer provided numbers for their games. Or is this now only a case whenever their games don't do as well I as they hoped.

Phamit

Sold in is sold to customer, correct? Impressive either way, though I still have my doubts about the game and its longitivity on PC without dedicated servers but it does look to b a well made game.

Sold In = sold to Stores

Wait I thought EA no longer provided numbers for their games. Or is this now only a case whenever their games don't do as well I as they hoped.

They doing better than expected, so maybe it's a FU to Gamestop who said that Battlefront was underperforming

They also raised their forecasts for the year

Jan 28 (Reuters) - Electronic Arts Inc posted an 26.3 percent rise in revenue for the holiday quarter and raised its full-year profit and sales forecasts slightly, boosted by strong sales of "Star Wars: Battlefront".
The highly anticipated first-person shooter game was launched in mid-November, halfway through the third quarter and a month ahead of the release of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens".

The company said on Thursday that sales of "Star Wars: Battlefront" had already surpassed 13 million units, the number of copies it had expected to sell by March.

Electronic Arts, popularly called EA by gaming aficionados, said adjusted revenue rose to $1.80 billion in the quarter ended Dec. 31 from $1.43 billion in the same quarter a year earlier.

The video-game publisher's adjusted profit rose to $596 million from $388 million. On a per share basis, adjusted profit rose to $1.83 from $1.22.

EA raised its full-year adjusted revenue forecast to about $4.52 billion from $4.50 billion, and its adjusted profit forecast to about $3.04 from $3.00 per share.

EDIT: I blew it

Crono27

with that amount of people

Currently online players

PC: 7,837 (24h peak: 9,442)

XBOXONE: 37,229 (24h peak: 44,420)

PS4: 65,905 (24h peak: 66,261)

Total: 110,971
yea.....

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Battlefront exceeded expectations correct?

They were expecting 13 million by the end of March 2016, so yes, they've managed to ship slightly more than what they were hoping to already.

Currently online players

yea.....

What about it?

Crono27

They were expecting 13 million by the end of March 2016, so yes, they've managed to ship slightly more than what they were hoping to already.

What about it?

just expected more people to being play the game. Amazing also not surprising how many copys it moved. Hopefully they expand on 2nd one.

etta

my hard graphic balls
How the hell do you sell 13 M but have only 110 K concurrent?
When Call of Dutys sell 15-20 M, they have 2-3 M concurrent, or at least that's what I remember from Modern Warfare 2 launch days.
I am really confused.

Madness

How the hell do you sell 13 M but have only 110 K concurrent?
When Call of Dutys sell 15-20 M, they have 2-3 M concurrent, or at least that's what I remember from Modern Warfare 2 launch days.
I am really confused.

By rushing to make a game to capitalize on a rejuvenated Star Wars franchise that released its first major film in a decade. Otherwise, Battlefront is a barebones release that is tolerated because it scratches that 'fun/nostalgia' Star Wars itch for a little while. It has little depth, no campaign, servers are a mess etc. It routinely falls out of top10 on the XBL daily played list.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
just expected more people to being play the game. Amazing also not surprising how many copys it moved. Hopefully they expand on 2nd one.
EA seems to be giving their shooters three year development cycles at this point, so the odds are reasonable of that happening.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Wait so if it's sold to store then what's to stop them just pumping out 13 million copies worldwide and saying "yeah we totally hit our goal!" Just seems odd they haven't confirmed actual sales numbers, especially when 13 million sold-through would be something to shout across the Internet.

Currently online players

yea.....
pretty sure this was covered already in previous threads when people brought up concurrent player numbers vs unit sales for EA's Battlefield games.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The music in the webcast has started. I will listen to it mainly to hear if they will share some new comments on NX. They replied to a question about NX in the Q2 FY2016 Earnings Conference Call:

Mike Hickey - The Benchmark Company - Analyst
Cool. Fair enough, thank you. And thinking about Nintendo's NX platform, the dev chips have apparently shipped. It looks like it's working towards
a calendar year 2016 launch. Just wondering how you plan to manage your resources to that emerging platform. Do you anticipate being more
aggressive on the front end? Or perhaps a little bit more cautious, given the Wii U underperformed expectations?

Andrew Wilson - Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO
I'm going to address that slightly differently. As we look to the future, we see a world where more people are playing on more platforms in more
geographies than ever before. We see the platform cycle now, not just as a traditional six-year console cycle, but as a six-month refresh rate on
mobile devices, smart TVs, Internet-enabled refrigerators, or whatever it might be.

And what we're doing, in terms of resource allocation, is really investing at a core digital platform level, at an engine level, and at a game architecture
level, to ensure that we are able to deliver amazing experiences; 6 inches to 60 inches, and beyond; two minutes to two hour session times, and
beyond; across any and all relevant devices where gamers are playing.
And as it relates to Nintendo, we've had a tremendous relationship with them over the years. And we will evaluate any and all opportunities with
them, in the same way we do all platform opportunities.
Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1414455235x0x857661/6430018A-2AEA-4081-87D3-69D737B9FF35/EA_Q2_FY16_Transcript.pdf

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait so if it's sold to store then what's to stop them just pumping out 13 million copies worldwide and saying "yeah we totally hit our goal!" Just seems odd they haven't confirmed actual sales numbers, especially when 13 million sold-through would be something to shout across the Internet.

Well, stores would have to order them, and they'd lose millions upon millions of dollars in licensing fees and return fees.

Shocking. Another positive news story about Battlefront that has quickly turned into a Battlefront hate thread.

fry_shocked.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

That is not how business works. Goodness.

Boke1879

Some people in this thread just can't accept the fact that people do like this version of Battlefront. The content is fine and you're getting free content and season passes.

Kyne

horribly mediocre game being augmented by the new movie. The vehicular movement was horrendous and the gunplay felt sluggish. Hopefully they improve on the inevitable sequel.

RedAssedApe

Banned

supply and demand buddy. companies don't just ship out copies of games that retailers didnt actually order and retailers don't order extra copies of games that aren't selling lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rösti;193587317 said:
The music in the webcast has started. I will listen to it mainly to hear if they will share some new comments on NX. They replied to a question about NX in the Q2 FY2016 Earnings Conference Call:

Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1414455235x0x857661/6430018A-2AEA-4081-87D3-69D737B9FF35/EA_Q2_FY16_Transcript.pdf

To be honest I'd be kind of surprised if they gave a different answer. It's the answer they give to all new platforms that aren't surefire mega hits for the types of games they make.

Top Bottom