• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Q3 FY16: Battlefront over 13 million shipped, EA #1 Pub PS4/XB1, $889M cash flow

I was interested in December about the split and how much gifts and the bundle would influence this so I tracked it for ~5 weeks after launch.

32sVVfh.png

Of course this only accounts for amount of players online simultaneously which is not a perfect match but the general breakdown should be relatively true.

Edit: As a comment, there wasn't just a different amount of player decay.
There also was growth where the PS4 and Xbox One average online player end of December numbers trump the launch weekend numbers. I just don't have time to make a succinct graph.

I knew I'd seen this somewhere before...

Screen+shot+2012-02-29+at+11.35.45+AM.png

I'm glad. I think that EA has made major changes over the last 5-10 years. In 2006, the company was probably at its lowest pimping out franchises, cutting content, and making lousy rehash games every year. SInce then they've done a lot to rehabilitate their image, and find ways to make profit without soiling the fan base like with Ultimate Team in FIFA And Madden, which are sports franchises that didn't gut their base single player modes with free-to-play schemes... wHich you can't say of 2K with NBA 2K.

Tubie

Those are amazing numbers.

How many of those would be sitting in shelves right now, 1-2m?

Pachter wasn't that far off at all when he said Battlefront had sold 12m by the end of December.

No Love

Banned
I remember people speculating on GAF that Battlefront wasn't doing as well as EA hoped... Too funny; it'll sell 20+ mill copies easily. Maybe 30.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I remember people speculating on GAF that Battlefront wasn't doing as well as EA hoped... Too funny; it'll sell 20+ mill copies easily. Maybe 30.
That would probably the most unusual tail of a console game in the history of the video game industry

It's star wars i am actually surprised no one saw this coming. This game was destined to sell millions. SWTOR did the same thing at one point then looked like they will take over WoW then failed miserably. But this looks like it's holding players on the consoles but PC it's failing.

How the hell do you sell 13 M but have only 110 K concurrent?
When Call of Dutys sell 15-20 M, they have 2-3 M concurrent, or at least that's what I remember from Modern Warfare 2 launch days.
I am really confused.
Its nowhere near that anymore. Why else do you think they removed the ability to see current online players in-game (BO3 had it in the alpha)?

Good to see Battlefront beating expectations. There is plenty of crow (mynock) to be served. DICE is doing a good job making up for the crunch they were under to get the game out last year by providing free content in addition to the paid DLC. That's the kind of support I like to see for games.

I can't wait to see what they do with the sequel now that they can focus more on the game rather than needing to build the engine and assets.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Haha I get that it'd be silly to ship out 13 million games without knowing they'd sell, just their PR talk is sometimes confusing. What happened to just saying "we sold x million copies to gamers, the end."

Because this is for their investors. Shipping to a retailer is a sale in the eyes of those investing in the company. It means EA received their money.

Also, retailers will not continue to order if the product is not selling to consumers.

Top Bottom