• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is available on Windows Store: Who bought it here ?

While Rise of the Tomb Raider has been released today on Steam, it was also released elsewhere, althought without much noise: On Windows Store. That makes it the first AAA game to be released there.

So I wonder, did anyone bought it on Windows Store ?

I was planning of buying it on the windows store but the price is way higher than on steam buying it from mexico.

Steam Price: $539.1 MXN or about $30
Windows Store: $796 MXN or about $43

That is with taxes included, so I decided on buying the game and season pass on steam for still a little less than the price on the windows store.

Syriel

Amazed that Sony worked out unified trophy lists and Microsoft couldn't do the same for achievements. So dumb.

It's the opposite of dumb.

If achievements synced, no one would double dip. With a new set of achievements, it is more likely that someone will double dip for the extra cheevos.

Actually the Windows 10 Live and Steam versions have 103 achievements where as the X1 version only has 66...

Xbox One version of RotTR currently has 103 achievements available to earn.

All platforms include the base game plus DLC in the total achievement count.

Amazed that Sony worked out unified trophy lists and Microsoft couldn't do the same for achievements. So dumb.
Microsoft allows unified achievement lists for games that are cross play or share cloud saves. Pinball FX 2 on the windows store shares an achievement list with the Xbox One version.

Actually the Windows 10 Live and Steam versions have 103 achievements where as the X1 version only has 66...

The Xbox One version also has 103 achievements. All the versions except on 360 have 66 achievements for the base game and 37 DLC achievements

Caayn

I did.

One major downside of it is that MSI Afterburner/RTSS doesn't seem to work with Windows Apps :(

And for some reason the 361.75 Nvidia driver is very prone to crashing when running this game >.>

Shin-chan

I honestly can't see why you would if it isn't crossbuy. I guess the achievements, but those aren't likely to be a big draw for the core PC gaming market.

I would but only if it was guaranteed cross buy. Otherwise why the hell would I buy from Microsoft's store after the last fuck up (GFWL market place).

Krakn3Dfx

Bought on cdkeys, which gave me a Steam key, but if those had been the only 2 options, I would have gone with Steam. I'm not interested in splintering out my gaming library to yet another system, especially give MS' track record with GWL on the PC.

U2NUMB

It's the opposite of dumb.

If achievements synced, no one would double dip. With a new set of achievements, it is more likely that someone will double dip for the extra cheevos.

Xbox One version of RotTR currently has 103 achievements available to earn.

All platforms include the base game plus DLC in the total achievement count.

Strange... TA only had 66, maybe it has yet to pull DLC.

Caayn

Does it sync the save between both. If it does I'd by it.
There doesn't seem to be an option to sync your save file with the console versions.
Because it's more expensive, would be the obvious reason.
Good point. But as I said I wanted to try it, and the 5 bucks I spend more didn't stop me. If it was more I'd have waited till the price drops. And if I wanted the cheapest option I would've have waited til a sale or a cheap reseller as I already own it on the XB1.

Saying that it would interesting to see how the price moves in the future.

Lazaro

I would have if it was Cross-Buy.

Has anyone on the internet compared both versions yet? I'm wondering if there is a performance difference between the Steam and Windows Store version.

Justinh

That's weird, it's showing the same price for me in the US (53.99).

I dunno where I'll end up double dipping from. I might try the Windows Store out. I like the idea of not just giving Valve money whenever I buy a PC game unless it's on sale.

Caayn

LewieP

It's sort of amazing to me that I am on Windows 8 still, and I have no option to buy this game from the Windows App Store.

I can buy it from Steam just fine.

schuey7

Brought it for rs899 on Steam and its listed for rs3439 on Ms Store ,almost 4 times the price so nope.But if going forward there are preloads and price is the same I may purchase from there.

Zedox

It's sort of amazing to me that I am on Windows 8 still, and I have no option to buy this game from the Windows App Store.

I can buy it from Steam just fine.

It's on Windows 10 store. Not 8. Those stores aren't unified (and wont be).

Funny how the OP asks if anyone bought from WS and literally only one person did and most of the other responses are about why they aren't buying it from there. At least I got feedback from one person to understand the experience.

Haunted

Is that the store that requires me to login with my Xbox profile and then automatically makes me sign in with that 10 year old profile, my Xbox name and stupid Xbox gamerpicture as my regular Windows account when I start up my PC?

LewieP

It's on Windows 10 store. Not 8. Those stores aren't unified (and wont be).

Funny how the OP asks if anyone bought from WS and literally only one person did and most of the other responses are about why they aren't buying it from there. At least I got feedback from one person to understand the experience.
Was the person who gave you a reason me? Microsoft aren't letting me buy it on my OS. Valve are.

It's emblematic of how Microsoft's efforts to serve PC gamers are regularly hamstrung by their broader corporate strategies. Their priority is to drive Windows 10 adoption rather than create the best possible PC gaming service.

bbd23

Just checked it out and apparently I can't even buy the game because I dont have the latest windows 10 update.

*launches game on steam*

giphy.gif

Rembrandt

Banned
Was the person who gave you a reason me? Microsoft aren't letting me buy it on my OS. Valve are.

It's emblematic of how Microsoft's efforts to serve PC gamers are regularly hamstrung by their broader corporate strategies. Their priority is to drive Windows 10 adoption rather than create the best possible PC gaming service.

And you haven't upgraded to Windows 10, why?

Seems you are limited to 10 installs.

Is that 10 different windows 10 devices or 10 installs in general?

I have no faith in the Windows Store's ability to install software without randomly stopping or failing with no explanation, so no, I will never buy anything there.

Top Bottom