• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ hasn't had any zombies in it since September 2015

Jackpot

Banned
I was replaying Arma 2 recently and I dropped into the community thread to see if this game was any closer to release.

Turns out since version 0.58 all AI infected were removed because of the huge lag they caused and because they could clip through any object including entire buildings.

This whole project has been such a clusterfuck. The standalone version of this game has been in development since 2012. The buzz from all the youtube vids from the (fully-functional) mod dissipated long ago. Survival games of every caliber have come and gone. You've got competitors like Ark Survival Evolved, The Forest, The Long Night, etc.

I know BIS is a small company but the DayZ team looks as small as Molyneux's Godus team did. Even the news updates are just of the odd untextured model when both Arma 2 and Arma 3 required literally hundreds in the same development time. They've managed to implement one vehicle and a butchered inventory UI in the last year. Does anyone think the console versions are still coming? Why keep this thing on life support if you're not going to commit the resources to finishing it?

Cue zombie analogies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I bought it like 2 years ago. Played maybe 3 times and got bored immediately. Waste of thirty bucks.

I expect this to be locked, purely because I was playing last night for the first time in ages and there are indeed zombies in the game. A little odd that you would post this without uh, playing the game or going on the forum or going on Reddit or something. The rest of your post is equally hogwash so yeah, good luck with that lol

legacyzero

Banned
Dean Hall got his Benjamins and fucking bailed.

What an asshole. Game is going to be Early Access for eternity.

I expect this to be locked, purely because I was playing last night for the first time in ages and there are indeed zombies in the game. A little odd that you would post this without uh, playing the game or going on the forum or going on Reddit or something. The rest of your post is equally hogwash so yeah, good luck with that lol

A few servers I played in were with no zombies a few months ago. So yeah.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dean Hall got his Benjamins and fucking bailed.

What an asshole. Game is going to be Early Access for eternity.

Basically. I wish Steam refunds were longer than 2 weeks 2 hours played. Because I'd refund DayZ in a heartbeat given how it's development has gone.

This game has been dead for a long time, and the lead designer left the project a while back, I think.

Giant clusterfudge, and it's a shame.

Spacejaws

I fucking knew this! I dont get to play online often but I do have a blast with DayZ just wandering and struggling to get tooled up but I was confused that the last few times I've played I saw exactly zero zombies and thought...lucky me?

I only get to play every 5 months or so so I get a whole heap of changelogs and usually skim over them. Shame the game hasn't advanced mich past what it could have been. ThInking of switching to ark but will miss those wacky zombies.

Hip Hop

Honestly, the game is much better without them (Not that the game is any good to begin with).

The zombies are so shit and just annoying. They don't even work properly, hitting you through walls or teleporting through walls, never ending chasing, it's an annoyance really.

But yeah, I uninstalled the game long ago and don't ever plan to comeback.

Surprisingly, the game still has a community around it:

today's peak

I'm glad I only ever played the mod. I've watched the standalone from the beginning but it's pretty terrible. And people are still buying this during sales periods.

Spazznid

I feel like every game in this genre gets closer to the goal and then stops. DayZ, H1Z1, etc. Regardless of popularity, I'd like a finished game in the genre eventually.

So, this game was the one that inspired the terrible clone WarZ that had to change the name, right?

That means even this original mod is shit, too?

SoulUnison

Banned
I bought it and even having a fairly beefy computer and spending tons of time messing with config options, it ran like frozen molasses.

I also am convinced by now that the game's never actually going anywhere and DayZ was the first "real" Early Access scam.

ciddative

Dont play the game so not sure if true or not but...

anigif_optimized-1988-1433990597-1.gif

Yeah the weirdest thing in this whole saga is that WarZ ending up being a better and more complete experience than DayZ (though not perfect...or great...but it had its moments). Developers in both cases were morons though. H1Z1 looked promising, but then SOE was sold off and there was "restructuring," and it doesn't look hopeful now. To be fair though, I haven't kept up with that one in a while.

occelinho

Vanilla DayZ is pretty bad now, but there are great mods like Overwatch and Epoch (or both merged together) that are really fun to play. These adds features like missions / quests, base building, a currency system, safe zones with npc were you can buy / sell stuff.

People that liked DayZ back then should really try those mods.

Edit: Oh, you were talking about the standalone, my bad. Didn't play that one in a while now, since it didn't seem like they were making any progress.

Cipherr

These are those games where you were in some post apocalyptic world scavenging for resources vs and with other players right? I remember watching some REALLY entertaining streams where a few guys playing together found a helicopter and some fuel and were navigating around the map shooting zombies and stuff.

It seemed like a genre/game type on the verge of exploding in popularity, then it just fucking died.

Mifec

This game is never getting finished and it was obv the second Dean Hall ran away to scam people on another early release game.

Glad i never bought it, especially since the creator just took the cash and ran

Dean Hall is a total scumbag and incompetent as fuck, I'm glad you never wasted money on this.

gdt

So there are no zombies....in Day Z? I had just forgot about all of this. I remember the hype. It certainly spawned a genre though. Gotta give it that.

eot

Banned
I've gotten zero value out of the standalone, but I'm actually okay with that. The time I spent with DayZ mod in 2012 is still my favourite multiplayer experience ever. I played something like 400 hours in two months. For that reason I was happy to give them some more money just as a thank you.

Of course that doesn't justify the shitty state of the game, but I've made peace with the fact that it's never going to give me the same experience as the mod anyway so I can't summon the energy to be angry about it.

Foffy

Banned
This is why you don't buy mods, friends.

And here I am, a major supporter of Bohemia and their sim games. At least their other Early Access game Take on Mars gets updates.

Jenenser

i also got burned on this.
its a clusterfuck and i regret ever paying for it... well, i was warned i guess... but who would have known they could be this inept.

play the original mod or several other mods of the mod (lol), they feel more complete and you can do shit.

its sad to see that some modders have implemented crafting and building 4 years before the stanalone version had its first car... oh and submarine i guess...

TheSeks

oi this thread lol. I didn't realize gaffers were so utterly clueless about dayz development hahaha.

Please, enlighten the class: What has changed since Dean has left? Is there actually a release date to be out of early access besides "IDK LOL"?

JustinBB7

H1Z1 is way better anyway. Constantly big updates, communication with devs via twitter/twitch streams/forums etc. Battle Royal is super fun, specially with team options now. And they keep working on the zombies in normal mode. From what I've seen it shits all over DayZ, glad I never bought it. How can you have a zombie game with no zombies (that were clipping through walls before) for so long??

Please, enlighten the class: What has changed since Dean has left? Is there actually a release date to be out of early access besides "IDK LOL"?

I don't even know where to start with this thread lol. there are changelogs, which anybody including the op could have read before posting. I mean, I'm not even arguing about the quality of the game in it's current build or whatever. I'm just saying, it's clear that nearly nobody posting in this thread has played the game in a very long time.

TheSeks

I don't even know where to start with this thread lol. there are changelogs, which anybody including the op could have read before posting. I mean, I'm not even arguing about the quality of the game in it's current build or whatever. I'm just saying, it's clear that nearly nobody posting in this thread has played the game in a very long time.

So, you're not going to answer the question then. You're just going to post the change-logs and go "BUT SEE THEY ADDED A JEEP AND A SUB! THEY'RE TOTALLY! WORKING ON THE GAME GUYS!"

Okay, glad we cleared that up. Here's why people are responding the way they are "clueless" or not: Because very little in DayZ has changed from when it "launched" stand-alone to now. It's great they're adding little things little by little, but it's been three years nearly and the game still isn't out of early access with functional zombies and the like that people expect: What the fuck is going on there?

epmode

How fitting that the game that spawned a thousand other perpetually-stuck-in-alpha MP survival games is still a pile of crap.

Loved the original mod but as soon as I bought the early access game I knew it was a bad decision, it's just got progressively worse. Other games have come along now and done almost everything better, not sure how some people are even still playing it to be honest, it's a great example of why you shouldn't buy an early access game.

I really still can't believe the lead guy on it just up and left while it was still in early access, staggering.

Game has zombies in it, you just obviously haven't played recently. Development continues with large changes coming in feb/march - its seemed very slow because they spent most of 2015 remaking the engine to better suit the game.

I was browsing steam reviews sorted by helpfulness, and I noticed that every single review is negative and I have scrolled by at least 100 reviews before I got bored of counting. Apparently 73% of the reviews are marked positive so this strikes me as odd.

Trace

Banned
Game has zombies in it, you just obviously haven't played recently. Development continues with large changes coming in feb/march - its seemed very slow because they spent most of 2015 remaking the engine to better suit the game.

Wasn't that literally the point of the standalone? To switch from the Arma 2 engine to something more suiting DayZ? Why did it take them three years to do this?

Wasn't that literally the point of the standalone? To switch from the Arma 2 engine to something more suiting DayZ? Why did it take them three years to do this?

You mean a bit longer than 2 years? Yes it came out in 2013, but mid December in 2013.

This is nothing. I first got into Dirty Bomb Alpha around March 2013 and that game is still in Early Access too.

Do people get the impression that games are quickly made because games like Assassin's creed release on an annual basis? I am confused why you think changing engines is something that is quickly done.

Gruso

Creating the Enfusion engine was a much, much bigger task than they realised. But the flow of dev information has been constant, and anyone who has been following knows (i) where it's at and why, and (ii) that it will finish.

https://twitter.com/dayzdevteam
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221100/allnews/
https://trello.com/b/5yzeFpo2/dayz

...or you could just skip all the information and start a rant thread.

FWIW the lack of zombies sucks. That and performance are why I'm not playing. But this is Bohemia... they'll finish it, and support it for years.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Man, my friends and I had a pretty big crew running around in this game years back. They were some of the best times in gaming that I've ever had. Sad to see it hasn't really gotten bigger after the standalone.

That one other zombie game (can't remember the name, was rebranded I think) and eventually H1Z1 really took the wind out of Day-Z's sails.

I did play it a week or so ago for a couple of hours and there weren't any zombies, as far as I could tell. Server hopped a bit and was kind of the same.

RIP in peace DayZ, you were amazing.

Whompa02

Outside of Zombies being in the game I'm in full agreement with OP tbh. The game is an unfinished clusterfuck...It's going to take too long to make before it ever becomes "good," with many other games out that are a thousand times better. Put a good amount of time into it too. Wasted my money and my life on such a janky piece of rubbish.

Foffy

Banned
Creating the Enfusion engine was a much, much bigger task than they realised. But the flow of dev information has been constant, and anyone who has been following knows (i) where it's at and why, and (ii) that it will finish.

https://twitter.com/dayzdevteam
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221100/allnews/
https://trello.com/b/5yzeFpo2/dayz

...or you could just skip all the information and start a rant thread.

FWIW the lack of zombies sucks. That and performance are why I'm not playing. But this is Bohemia... they'll finish it, and support it for years.

They're still giving small patch updates to ArmA II.

The last major update the game got in terms of new content was in 2012. Granted, their updates have broken a lot of mods like ACE 2 - the wounding system is 100000000% busted now, with no fix in sight - they're at least trying to get much of the underpinnings of the vanilla game fixed.

Bohemia knows how to support products, but DayZ might seem like a hard thing to see those types of updates in when compared to ArmA II, or even ArmA III's last major engine additions in the past year.

Top Bottom