• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another "PS4 Wifi Antenna is garbage" thread.

So lately my PS4 has been so slow accessing Wifi that I can't even use the store, update or even play online which made me drop my PSN+ subscription when it came time for renewal. What also bothers me is that my Wii U which I bought in November downloads files on the same connection close to my full 30Mb connection. Has anyone tried an Ethernet over Power adapter with good results because I feel like it's coming to that point.

It's ridiculous how awful this thing is.

So lately my PS4 has been so slow accessing Wifi that I can't even use the store, update or even play online which makes me drop my PSN+ subscription when it came time for renewal. What also bothers me is that my Wii U which I bought in November downloads files on the same connection close to my full 30Mb connection. Has anyone tried an Ethernet over Power adapter with good results because I feel like it's coming to that point.

Yup ps4 wifi is trash. I tried a powerline adapter before going hardlined. Powerline adapter really is dependent on your house/apartment's wiring and distance. With the powerlines I was getting a 4-8mb increase, still not great but still better than wifi.

I would suggest buying a set from someplace that has no restocking fee (like best buy) and giving it a try. I'm sure you'll see an improvement, but the amount will be depending on your ps4's location and your place's wiring.

Whenever you guys move, Please make sure to plan for your router to be in the living room if possible, Changed my entire network flow in my crib since I can get everything on ethernet.

Powerline is a good deal but if possible, you can always run hardwire through a wall.

Cudder

I run a powerline adapter from my PS4 to my router and have no complaints. My PS4 and router are on the same floor, not too far from each other though.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Whenever you guys move, Please make sure to plan for your router to be in the living room if possible, Changed my entire network flow in my crib since I can get everything on ethernet.

Powerline is a good deal but if possible, you can always run hardwire through a wall.

Luckily when I bought my house they wired almost every room with an ethernet port. Too bad some of their placements don't fit my layouts but it is still a fucking dream to have an ease of use.

Mine has trouble getting a decent Netflix stream in the same room where my Chromecast can perfectly. And yeah, might be another reason why the download speeds resemble a kneecapped tortoise.

Powerline works great for me. In fact, I stopped using wifi on all my entertainment devices with ethernet ports. I go Powerline adapter -> 5 port network switch -> Devices. Of course my powerline adapter is one of the latest ones and it cost $100 so I can't compare it to the earlier models that might be cheaper.

I used to use powerline network adapters before I expanded the wiring in my house, and they are quite awesome. No one should be console gaming over wifi because of their existence.

Avoid TP Link brand because most models will randomly crap out for a few minutes at a time.

Tested from the same distance from my router (live in condo)

iPhone 6 5Ghz
mSl4SsA.png

iPhone 6 2.4Ghz

PS4 2.4Ghz
6sHxPdC.jpg

ricard0388

Neo Member
The best solution here is buying a mini router (like TP-Link ones), configuring it into Client Mode and connect it to the PS4 via ethernet.

So lately my PS4 has been so slow accessing Wifi that I can't even use the store, update or even play online which makes me drop my PSN+ subscription when it came time for renewal. What also bothers me is that my Wii U which I bought in November downloads files on the same connection close to my full 30Mb connection. Has anyone tried an Ethernet over Power adapter with good results because I feel like it's coming to that point.

I have a powerline adapter and my speeds went from about 3Mb/s to close to 30Mb/s. So yeah, it's worth it. They won't work if either end is plugged into a surge protector.

NateDrake

I have a powerline adapter and my speeds went from about 3Mb/s to close to 30Mb/s. So yeah, it's worth it. They won't work if either end is plugged into a surge protector.

Well that's disappointing to hear. I was going to buy a powerline adapter soon, and I'd need to plug it in to a surge protector near my modem to have enough outlets to support it.

I have mine, along with my Xbox one and computer all wired into a Netgear AC EX6200 extender that I use on a dedicated 5ghz network just for them. I can't do wired connections where they are so it's just easier to put them all on the same device. I don't even bother with the internal wifi the PS4 has; that thing is hammered dog shit.

Well that's disappointing to hear. I was going to buy a powerline adapter soon, and I'd need to plug it in to a surge protector near my modem to have enough outlets to support it.

Yeah, the surge protectors sever the connection.

Edit- You're in luck!! You need to find these ones in particular, though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y3QPG1A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They're more expensive, unfortunately, probably due to the pass-through. Essentially, you plug it into a normal outlet and then plug your surge protector into the device.

Every Sony gaming entertainment device has had awful WiFi. From PSP to Vita to PS3 to PS4. I have to hardwire everything (outside of the handhelds) to get good speed.

Lingitiz

It's real bad. Combined with the slow as PSN download speeds, it takes forever even to just do the simplest stuff. I have to tether my PS4 to my desktop's WiFi just to download patches in at a reasonable speed.

slash3584

The best solution here is buying a mini router (like TP-Link ones), configuring it into Client Mode and connect it to the PS4 via ethernet.

Exactly what I did.

I was getting 15-20Mbps with a 2.4ghz wireless connection. Bought a cheap 5ghz router and used is as a client and wired it to the PS4

Now I get 70-100mbps.

I hardwire everything that's got an Ethernet socket. Had to drill a lot of holes and run a lot of cable, but it's the only way to be sure.

I've never even tried the PS4 WiFi.

Neonep

Hmm. I've never even encountered this problem. I use wifi on my PS4 and everything works really good. At the same time though my router is close to my PS4.

I pay for 100 down/50 up

My pc hooked directly into my router gets 105/100

My surface pro 3 on Wi-Fi gets 60 down

My ps4 on Wi-Fi gets 5-8 down, 1 wall and ~ 10 feet away

With a powerline adapter it's up to 25 which is better but still not ideal

I'm trying to convince the wife to let me put a hole in the wall

Exactly what I did.

I was getting 15-20Mbps with a 2.4ghz wireless connection. Bought a cheap 5ghz router and used is as a client and wired it to the PS4

Now I get 70-100mbps.

So Im guessing this allows you to have a wired connection from the device but the client router will still be wireless to your main router?

Or is your client router still wired to the main router?

I'm trying to convince the wife to let me put a hole in the wall

Just do it, do a good job, and she'll never know anyway.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

The better solution is to run CAT throughout the entire house.
Isn't too difficult to pull through a CAT wherever a phone jack is. Having virtually every room it's own hardwired connection to the switch in the utility room is priceless.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It is pretty terrible, it's true. When building my new house, I made sure to have ethernet ports in key areas where I knew the system may be a little far from the wifi signal. And I'm glad I did. Wired is the only way to go with gaming, imo.

slash3584

So Im guessing this allows you to have a wired connection from the device but the client router will still be wireless to your main router?

Or is your client router still wired to the main router?

Just do it, do a good job, and she'll never know anyway.

Yep, the second router connects wirelessly (in my case in the 5ghz band) to the main router:

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

I used a custom firmware to do the trick, but I think some routers can work in this mode without flashing the firmware.

LordofPwn

I run wireless to my PS4 and I don't have any issues. I have more issues with my controller getting input lag from my wifi interference

Everything hardware-related with the PS4 is pretty awful to be honest, it's easy to see where they cut the corners needed for Three Hundred And Ninety Nine US Dollars. I've got two units at my house and they each have different quirks involving disk insertion, the power button, and WiFi. At least the one with the really shitty antenna can live downstairs next to the router hard-wired, where the one that at least has a passable connection stays upstairs.

And this is completely leaving out the absolute shittiest controller build quality I've ever encountered.

zeitgeist

Yeah it is brutal. I have to USB tether my cellphone (connected to 5ghz router) through my laptop which I make a Wifi hotspot in order to connect online.

VariantX

Which is why I just run a long ethernet cable from the room over for connectivity. I don't want my downloads to take all day when your patches range in the 5-10 gb area, nor do I want my connection going to shit in the middle of a game because of it.

Top Bottom