• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Room is about to announce their next game, owns the IP, no Publisher involved

Turkoop

Banned
HOniQFn.jpg

https://twitter.com/ChineseRoom
Cant wait, Rapture was a special one!

Fisty

Man hopefully Sony didnt muddy the waters too much, Rapture was great and I'd love to get their future games on PS4

gabbo

Hope they branch outside of the walking sim/1st person adventure genre just a wee bit. Or really change things up if they stick with it.

Turkoop

Banned
They really didn't like their experience with Sony, did they? I wonder what happened,

I'm not sure, but I read somewhere, they started development of the new game, before Rapture was released. So I don't think it has something to do with Sony, I'm pretty sure they liked to work with them

Maximo

Eeehhhh haven't been impressed by what they have done so far, a bit hit and miss. Would be silly to completely ignore them however so ill keep a look out for whatever their making next.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'll look forward to it although I did not enjoy my time with Rapture. The second only game I've ever fallen asleep to while playing, unfortunately. If they at least made the walking speed faster, as I've seen mentioned above, then maybe it's worth going back to? I got to the part
where you leave the first town and are walking on a path

DOWN

Banned
I loved Rapture and y'all should have paid attention because holding right trigger made your character jog instead of walk

I loved Rapture and y'all should have paid attention because holding right trigger made your character jog instead of walk

Idk man. It "ramped" up the walking speed a little bit and for a while I thought it actually didn't do anything at all because you can hardly notice it. Game desperately needed a faster walking speed, no question.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Dear Esther, Korsakovia and Machine for Pigs all hit their mark for me, and I'm eager to finally get my hands on Rapture when the PC release drops. They've got my attention for whatever comes next!

Anung

Un Rama
This won't have have Jessica Curry making music will it? Which is a shame as her music is huge reason why I like their games.

Cleve

I found Machine for Pigs very disappointing after Dark Descent, and I couldn't bring myself to even finish Rapture. I'm interested to see what they bring to the table this time, but I think I'll wait for feedback from quite a few sources before diving in to something new from Chinese Room.

ViviOggi

I'm not sure, but I read somewhere, they started development of the new game, before Rapture was released. So I don't think it has something to do with Sony, I'm pretty sure they liked to work with them
Jessica Curry sure loved every bit of it.

Glad the team is free again.

dugdug

Banned
Hope we get the inside scoop on what the hell happened between them and Sony. I always thought the general consensus was that they were great with indies.

Fisty

Hope we get the inside scoop on what the hell happened between them and Sony. I always thought the general consensus was that they were great with indies.

I think i remember hearing of some issues popping up during playtesting, I remember Shu basically apologizing to Jessica on Twitter. Glad TCR stuck it out, Rapture was great and really different as far as PSN games go

SarusGray

I believe it was a woman I forgot her name who had the most problems with Sony. She wrote a blog about it and everything. Whoever was the team that managed their IP seemed to have really ticked her off.

SarusGray

found itt!

http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/blog/why-im-sort-of-leaving-the-chinese-room

This is a tough one to write because I don’t want to negatively affect the company – there are lots of amazing people who rely on The Chinese Room for their livelihood. So I’ll tread carefully and please be aware that I’m speaking entirely on my own behalf now. Working with a publisher made me extremely unhappy and very ill. In the end I didn’t even recognize myself anymore- I had turned from a joyful, fun-loving, creative, silly, funny person into a short-tempered, paranoid, unhappy, negative heap. So much of the stress that I experienced was caused by what I see as the desperately toxic relationship that I was in. I can’t go into detail here for the reasons above but what I can say is that I look back at the way we were treated and it still makes me shake my head with disbelief.

Big business and the creation of art have always been extremely uncomfortable bedfellows and making Rapture proved to be no exception for me. I don’t want to do this anymore- in fact I can’t do it. I want to surround myself with honest, open people whom I can trust. I’ve heard so many people say, “well, this is just the way publishers are” and “this is just what the games industry is like.” What I would say to that is while we all keep accepting this, while we are so afraid to challenge this behaviour then it won’t change and we all deserve nothing but the meager crumbs we are thrown.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The company is like 10 people, and she's one of the creative leads and is a founder of the company.

It also doesn't automatically make Sony the bad guy. Like she points out - art and business are difficult bedfellows. If she genuinely values complete freedom then simply working with a large company may be massively claustrophobic though no fault of either party.

TCR got funding and tech assistance to make an intriguing game (possibly the most British game ever) and hopefully it also provided enough of a return to help them in their now self-funded next project.

I'd like to read more about what went on if there is ever the chance at a post-mortem

Azzanadra

I believe it was a woman I forgot her name who had the most problems with Sony. She wrote a blog about it and everything. Whoever was the team that managed their IP seemed to have really ticked her off.

Could I get a link to this blog post please? I would like to read it.

QaaQer

You mean the director, composer, and founder of Chinese Room?

QaaQer

I wonder if making a game that forces people to slow down is impossible. Would people have enjoyed rapture more if you could Titanfall through the enviroments? Probably. Relatively high budget Zen games are doomed.

Lister

Banned
Woot, without Sony that means a PC release, right?

AWESOME!

EDIT: WAIT, WHAT? Rapture is coming to PC too?!?!?

IvanJ

Banned
Wonder what it will be? Pretty sure it won't have parkour, but only 47% sure that it won't have any people in it.

Huh the whole Drama between Curry and whoever represented Sony seems...odd. I mean I can imagine there are times when Sony can probably be overbearing but that doesn't seem to jive with the whole making third party and indie devs pretty happy. Just strange. Anybody have a link the Shu tweet then?

Also since rapture is coming to PC does that mean it will have the SCE lable on it or would it be just the Chinese Room?

Top Bottom