• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese Room is about to announce their next game, owns the IP, no Publisher involved

Corpekata

Banned
Huh the whole Drama between Curry and whoever represented Sony seems...odd. I mean I can imagine there are times when Sony can probably be overbearing but that doesn't seem to jive with the whole making third party and indie devs pretty happy. Just strange. Anybody have a link the Shu tweet then?

Also since rapture is coming to PC does that mean it will have the SCE lable on it or would it be just the Chinese Room?

It'll likely be under Playstation Mobile like Helldivers was on PC.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Was a game ruiner braj. Constructive criticism is ok

Shame, walking in real life ain't much faster. It was a good tale.

Walking speed was not, by itself, an issue for me. Following the various narrative threads between characters who all looked alike in their glowy form was tough.

Combine the two and you had a narrative that ironically moved to slow and was hard to follow. I did persevere and enjoy the experience, but more for presentational, emotional resonance (loved the chapter transitions) than the story.

It was a CryEngine game, wasn't it?

wouwie

That seems quite soon to release info on their next project. Rapture was the first game i played from Chinese Room and i adored it so i'm excited to hear what's next. Although i wonder if it will come to consoles this time. Apparently, working with Sony didn't work out as well as they might have hoped (which is a shame since the end result was beautiful).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, can't wait to see it. It'll probably be only on PC, but I'm glad they're doing stuff, and this fast.

Only downside is that we won't have another alexandros meltdown :(

“So the thinking went like this,” he began. “We don’t have enough money or production expertise to make this game without help. We don’t think we can raise enough through Kickstarter or public alpha to make this happen. We could do with production support on a game this scale. We’ve always wanted to make a console game. Publishers have bad reputations all too often. Hey, Sony Santa Monica are great though. We’ve met them a few times and really like them and their attitude.”

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/22/dear-esther-devs-rapture-no-longer-coming-to-pc/

Glad they have the funds for new title, Rapture exceeded my expectations. Self published/funded or kickstarted I will support The Chinese Room either way.

David___

Banned
Awesome, can't wait to see it. It'll probably be only on PC, but I'm glad they're doing stuff, and this fast.

Only downside is that we won't have another alexandros meltdown :(

lol I remember that one. Best part is that it was all for nothing in the end since Rapture is getting a PC release. I wonder if he's going to keep is word on not buying this game.

I don't see how this doesn't end up on PS4. Rapture sold well enough IIRC and Sony allows devs to self publish and retain their IP. Maybe there was something that happened behind closed doors that soured them but still, why release a game for a platform and build an audience for your games only to turn around and ditch them. Doesn't make any sense.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't see how this doesn't end up on PS4. Rapture sold well enough IIRC and Sony allows devs to self publish and retain their IP. Maybe there was something that happened behind closed doors that soured them but still, why release a game for a platform and build an audience for your games only to turn around and ditch them. Doesn't make any sense.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it won't be on PS4.

Though the bolded is kind of a funny statement given the history of the developer.

I've enjoyed their games (haven't got to play Rapture, since I'm PC-only), even though they're mechanically uninteresting, and will be curious about whatever's coming next.

Walking speed was not, by itself, an issue for me. Following the various narrative threads between characters who all looked alike in their glowy form was tough.

Combine the two and you had a narrative that ironically moved to slow and was hard to follow. I did persevere and enjoy the experience, but more for presentational, emotional resonance (loved the chapter transitions) than the story.

It was really hard to keep track of characters unless you had the subtitles on.

kyser73

No it wasn't. One of the greatest strengths of the writing in Rapture is that each fragment both developed the individual character narratives & the meta story of events and that was achieved regardless of the order the player unlocked them.

It also - IMO at least - had one of the best character arcs I've seen in gaming in Frank's story, whose mea culpa is amazingly human and normal for a video game.

Plus - goddamit - I'm a Brit and as Julian Rignall wrote, the game feels like a Radio 4 Play For Today. Walking around Shropshire felt like home to someone who left the UK - it felt like home, and that will always make it special to me.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
It was really hard to keep track of characters unless you had the subtitles on.

No it wasn't. One of the greatest strengths of the writing in Rapture is that each fragment both developed the individual character narratives & the meta story of events and that was achieved regardless of the order the player unlocked them.

It took some after-the-fact reading for me to piece it all together, even still subtitles enabled. Partly this is the result of a distributed playthrough over time. There are few "reminder" mechanisms in this game if you don't have time to gulp it all at once.

I think a simple visual distinction between character glowy forms would have been all that I needed, a hue for each character maybe? It was very much a radio play game, but although the interactive medium allowed the player to put the story together in an order of their choosing--and I loved the environments I was wandering through--it was a story I wandered through feeling pretty lost.

Top Bottom