• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Accounts, NNIDs, and MyNintendo

There seems to be a lot of confusion going around regarding these services, what exactly they are, and how they interact with each other. Here's a brief explanation:

nintendoaccount.png

What is it?
Your Nintendo Account is your master account for all Nintendo services. Similar to a Google Account or Microsoft Account, it provides a single, unified login for all services under its umbrella, along with basic information (name, email, age, Mii, etc.). It's simply the connective tissue for all things Nintendo.​

How do I create one?
You can create a Nintendo account one of 3 ways. First off, go to this address: https://accounts.nintendo.com/ From there you will either be able to create a Nintendo Account by 1) filling out the form at the bottom of the page, 2) linking a Twitter, Google+, or Facebook account, or 3) signing in with your Nintendo Network ID. If you have one, method 3 is the preferred method.​

Why do I need this? I already made a Nintendo account on my Wii U/3DS! Is that being replaced?
Your Nintendo Account will not be replacing your NNID, but is rather a master account that will be absorbing it.​

But what about this "nickname" field?
Your Nintendo Account nickname is a non-unique display name that can be changed infinitely, without restriction. By default, it takes the name of your attached Mii character, assuming you have one.​

Do I need a Nintendo Network ID to have a Nintendo Account?
No, you do not. Currently NNIDs are only used for services provided on Nintendo consoles, such as the eShop, online gaming, and Miiverse. For upcoming services like MyNintendo and Miitomo, as well as future Nintendo smart phone apps, only a standard Nintendo Account will be required.​

Do I need a Nintendo Account to have a NNID?
Currently? No. This may change in the future however, possibly with the Nintendo NX.​

NNID.png

What is it?
The Nintendo Network is Nintendo's collection of online gaming services, which currently includes your unique online identifier ("Nintendo Network ID"), Wii U/3DS friends list, eShop account, and Miiverse account. This is very similar to an Xbox Account/Gamertag, if your are familiar with this.​

How do I create one?
Currently it is only possible to create a NNID through a Wii U or 3DS console.​

Is this being replaced by Nintendo Accounts?
No, NNIDs are being folded into the Nintendo Account collection of services. Your Nintendo Account will serve as the bridge between your NNID and any and all other Nintendo services you sign up for going forwards.​

What does this change for me on Wii U/3DS?
Right now? Nothing. Going forward though you will be able to connect your NNID and MyNintendo accounts through your Nintendo Account in order to earn various rewards. Additionally, regardless of whether you do or do not create and link a Nintendo Network account, you will continue to log into your Nintendo devices with the same login information, and you will continue to use your NNID as your unique online identifier.

Do I need a Nintendo Network ID to have a Nintendo Account?
No, you do not. Currently NNIDs are only used for services provided on Nintendo consoles, such as the eShop, online gaming, and Miiverse. For upcoming services like MyNintendo and Miitomo, as well as future Nintendo smart phone apps, only a standard Nintendo Account will be required.​

Do I need a Nintendo Account to have a NNID?
Currently? No. This may change in the future however, possibly with the Nintendo NX.​

mynintendo.png

What is it?
MyNintendo is a completely new service that will be launching under the Nintendo Account umbrella of services. It's a rewards program, similar to (though hopefully much, much better than) Microsoft's Xbox Rewards program, as well as Nintendo's old Club Nintendo service. You will earn points through purchases made through Nintendo Account services (such as eShop purchases) and well as actions such as "pre-registering" for Miitomo, and presumably other Nintendo apps and services.​

How do I create one?
MyNintendo has not yet launched, but when it does you will be able to create an account through your Nintendo Account, and it will be accessible from this address: https://my.nintendo.com/

Do I need a Nintendo Account to create a MyNintendo account?
Yes! As MyNintendo is a new service from Nintendo, it is launching directly under the Nintendo Account collection of services, and will require a Nintendo Account to access.​

Do I need a NNID to create a MyNintendo account?
No. Only a standard Nintendo Account will be required to create a MyNintendo account. However, if your Nintendo Account has a linked NNID, purchases made on the NNID will earn rewards points towards your MyNintendo account balance.​

Hopefully that will help clear up some of the confusion. If you have any questions, corrections, or additional comments, please post them and I'll update my post accordingly.

oti

Banned
OK, let me ask this here then.
I have a 3DS and a Wii U with the same NNID and I've bought tons of digital games through them. But I don't like my Gamertag anymore and I want a new one. What are my options? Can I make a new NNID on Wii U and can both of them coexist on there? Do I need to buy a new 3DS? It's kinda confusing to me.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
3 accounts - Nintendo being really casual friendly here.

Dont they ever learn ?
You might wanna read the opening post again. Nintendo Account is the new account in place and My Nintendo is a service using those accounts... You don't need a specific My Nintendo Account.

3 accounts - Nintendo being really casual friendly here.

Dont they ever learn ?

This is completely normal for any company running multiple interconnected services. See: Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc.

Realistically, it's just one account. Your Nintendo Account. That's the entire purpose of the Nintendo Account: it's a master account that "owns" sub-accounts tied to various interconnected services. Everything goes through one, unified login system.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
OK, let me ask this here then.
I have a 3DS and a Wii U with the same NNID and I've bought tons of digital games through them. But I don't like my Gamertag anymore and I want a new one. What are my options? Can I make a new NNID on Wii U and can both of them coexist on there? Do I need to buy a new 3DS? It's kinda confusing to me.
The way things are right now the new NNiD can coexist with your current one on WiiU, but 3DS only support one logged in NNiD.

Probably best to wait until Nintendo unveils NX online infrastructure and other possibilities for transfers in the next months.

Does this mean we don't have to contact Nintendo anymore to transfer content from console to console?

As of right now, nothing has changed regards to how transferring accounts and content is handled on 3DS and Wii U. Since Nintendo Accounts are "portable" by design, and NNIDs are being folded in, I assume that it will eventually progress in a direction in which the process is more streamlined/user friendly though.

oti

Banned
The way things are right now the new NNiD can coexist with your current one on WiiU, but 3DS only support one logged in NNiD.

Probably best to wait until Nintendo unveils NX online infrastructure and other possibilities for transfers in the next months.

BUT WHAT IF SOMEONE TAKES AWAY XxXPUSÉKILLÂXxX ???¿

maxcriden

Awesome thread--thank you!! You may want to just have the title changed to throw an OT in there. That way it can be the catch-all NNID/acct/MyNintendo thread. You certainly put the work in to where that'd make sense. ☺

Kucan

Does this mean we don't have to contact Nintendo anymore to transfer content from console to console?

That's still the case, NX will likely change things though, it seems like the Wii U and 3DS were designed to expect 'something' to be locked to it in order to work.

KainXVIII

If i login from twitter now (NNID does not supported in my country, i live in Russia, but set 3ds country to South Africa due to better prices) what bad consequences i can have in the future?

This is completely normal for any company running multiple interconnected services. See: Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc.

Realistically, it's just one account. Your Nintendo Account. That's the entire purpose of the Nintendo Account: it's a master account that "owns" sub-accounts tied to various interconnected services. Everything goes through one, unified login system.
The only comparison I see is how Google rolled YouTube into their Google+ services and it was widely regarded as a complete fucking mess.

If i login from twitter now (NNID does not supported in my country, i live in Russia, but set 3ds country to South Africa due to better prices) what bad consequences i can have in the future?

As far as I am aware, none. NNIDs can be linked to your Nintendo Account at any time, and additionally I've seen people on GAF report that they've been able to link NNIDs of different regions to their Nintendo Account without issue. I'm not 100% on this though.

Nightbird

"My Nintendo is not currently available in your country."

Don't tell me they're gonna IP lock this. Hopefully just a generic message.

Yes it's a generic message because it's available nowhere outside of Japan right now.

This is just a pre-registration. The actual service won't launch until in two weeks at earliest.

wrowa

Right now, we still have to. But I can see this being a thing of the past by the end of this year.

I absolutely expect this to become true with the NX platform - it has to -, but I doubt we'll ever get this feature on 3DS and Wii U. I just don't see Nintendo overhauling the existing account systems another time.

On a similar note, I'd be surprised if NNID is more than legacy support. It'll continue to exist on 3DS and Wii U, the Nintendo Account will access certain NNID data (like purchase history), but I doubt NX will still use the NNID. Nintendo wants to simplify its account system and outside of 3DS and Wii U depending on it, a seperate NNID is pretty much redundant.

The only comparison I see is how Google rolled YouTube into their Google+ services and it was widely regarded as a complete fucking mess.

It's literally the exact same setup as Google and Microsoft. You have a master account on top (Google account, MS account, Nintendo account) that is used as the unified login portal and connective tissue for various connected services.

"My Nintendo is not currently available in your country."

Excellent. Thanks Nintendo. As always Latin America is dead last.

Edit: Eh. Only on Japan right now? Oh. Nevermind then.

I absolutely expect this to become true with the NX platform - it has to -, but I doubt we'll ever get this feature on 3DS and Wii U. I just don't see Nintendo overhauling the existing account systems another time.

On a similar note, I'd be surprised if NNID is more than legacy support. It'll continue to exist on 3DS and Wii U, the Nintendo Account will access certain NNID data (like purchase history), but I doubt NX will still use the NNID. Nintendo wants to simplify its account system and outside of 3DS and Wii U depending on it, a seperate NNID is pretty much redundant.

Well, the majority of the functionality of the NNID has been completely rolled into the Nintendo Account, so in that sense it's redundant, and in the future will likely be phased out in that capacity. But I'm sure the name will live on as the label for your online "gamertag", just as the Nintendo Network branding will likely continue to live on in reference to all services pertaining to online gaming. Even if it will all technically be fully merged into the Nintendo Account eventually.

Joqu

Can I link multiple NNIDs to one Nintendo Account (I've got two 3DS) and if so does it matter that the account info doesn't match up? (It used to be my sister's.)

Does any of that account info get used by the Nintendo Account or is it going to be a new blank slate outside of MAYBE using NNID purchase history in the future?

Can I link multiple NNIDs to one Nintendo Account (I've got two 3DS) and if so does it matter that the account info doesn't match up? (It used to be my sister's.)

Does any of that account info get used by the Nintendo Account or is it going to be a new blank slate outside of MAYBE using NNID purchase history in the future?

no. 1 nnid linked per account

Fawk Nin

no. 1 nnid linked per account

I really hope they deal with this issue going forward. My 3ds NNID is different from my WiiU one and it's really annoying when I miss out on promotions etc. If this is truly an umbrella account we should be able to funnel all our nintendo stuff into it.

I guess my handheld purchases will remain split between two accounts then. Hope that doesn't bite my in the ass later. I thought they were going to fix that kind of stuff now. :/
Unless there's some reason you want the two NNIDs to remain separate, I would call Nintendo. If you explain your situation they may be able to merge the accounts. I really don't know though.

Unless there's some reason you want the two NNIDs to remain separate, I would call Nintendo. If you explain your situation they may be able to merge the accounts. I really don't know though.

I have the same problem but NoE told me it wasn't possible (and I have contacted them multiple times about it each through a different method and talking to different people). I've just given up on them ever merging and started to use only one 3DS for purchases.

Top Bottom