• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Accounts, NNIDs, and MyNintendo

zelas

MyNintendo has not yet launched, but when it does you will be able to create an account through your Nintendo Account, and it will be accessible from this address: https://my.nintendo.com/

Create a MyNintendo account under your Nintendo account? They're both new, why can't they just use the master Nintendo account and roll the service in seamlessly (ex. visiting a new product from google already works with my existing account)? Or is there no need to create a separate entity and this part of OP is worded weirdly?

Joqu

Unless there's some reason you want the two NNIDs to remain separate, I would call Nintendo. If you explain your situation they may be able to merge the accounts. I really don't know though.

Well you can't use the same account on two 3DS but I wouldn't really mind that, the only reason I use both of them is because of the purchases. But yeah, I have contacted NoE about this (just once though) and they wouldn't do it.

On the bright side apparently creating a Nintendo Account with a different birth date from your NNID gives you a one time chance to change one of them, so both accounts at least completely match with my info now. That's good I guess

I have the same problem but NoE told me it wasn't possible (and I have contacted them multiple times about it each through a different method and talking to different people). I've just given up on them ever merging and started to use only one 3DS for purchases.

Same. I have one account with the majority of my purchases on it so I'm gonna stick with that one. I like the handle of the second one better though and it does have some stuff I'd like to merge on it. :/

Create a MyNintendo account under your Nintendo account? They're both new, why can't they just use the master Nintendo account and roll the service in seamlessly (ex. visiting a new product from google already works with my existing account)? Or is there no need to create a separate entity and this part of OP is worded weirdly?
It's just worded weirdly, but somewhat deliberately so. Since MyNintendo hasn't launched yet the process isn't 100% clear, so I tried to phrase it in a way that didn't require me to make assumptions. It is a little wonky though.

But yes, odds are it will be seemless.

Sorry for any confusion! As more details drop I'll try to clean up the verbiage.

That was a great explanation thank you OP!

Side note...I can't believe this is how Nintendo is doing this. It is confusing and will be to the average person.

3 separate accounts that all interact with each other differently. Should have just been 1 account

Side note...I can't believe this is how Nintendo is doing this.

3 separate accounts that all interact with each other differently. Should have just been 1 account
Well, it's more like one account. MyNintendo is a service that will be completely under your Nintendo account, and once you link your NNID and Nintendo account they effectively merge and become a single account with a shared login.

Your Nintendo Account is your primary account, everything else is just a service under that account.

I'll try to make the verbiage a little clearer later today, but right now it's almost 6am and I seriously have to go to bed haha.

Joqu

Side note...I can't believe this is how Nintendo is doing this. It is confusing and will be to the average person.

It's pretty confusing right now but I'd assume the process is going to be more clear once their new hardware releases, or maybe even once Miitomo is up. It's quite abstract for now because we don't really see them get used in action.

zelas

It's just worded weirdly, but somewhat deliberately so. Since MyNintendo hasn't launched yet the process isn't 100% clear, so I tried to phrase it in a way that didn't require me to make assumptions. It is a little wonky though.

But yes, odds are it will be seemless.

Sorry for any confusion! As more details drop I'll try to clean up the verbiage.
Ok, thanks!

Well you can't use the same account on two 3DS but I wouldn't really mind that, the only reason I use both of them is because of the purchases. But yeah, I have contacted NoE about this (just once though) and they wouldn't do it.

On the bright side apparently creating a Nintendo Account with a different birth date from your NNID gives you a one time chance to change one of them, so both accounts at least completely match with my info now. That's good I guess

Same. I have one account with the majority of my purchases on it so I'm gonna stick with that one. I like the handle of the second one better though and it does have some stuff I'd like to merge on it. :/

Yep. This is what I want from Nintendo's online services.

1. Ability to change NNiD name.
2. Cloud Saves. (Which are apparently coming.)
3. Ability to merge accounts

And most importantly:

4. The ability to use a NNiD on more than one of each console

Exile20

Attempting To Delete Your Nintendo Account Reveals Additional Information
Today is the day that you can register for a Nintendo Account in anticipation of the My Nintendo app, but upon registering, the information about the new program is minimal. However, it has come to light that if you attempt to delete your Nintendo Account after registering, the warning page gives you additional information about the web site / program.

It lists thing such as ‘Mission Status’ along with rewards and points, to remind you of what you will lose if you deactivate. Take a look at the screen cap provided to us below:
rZipSoa.jpg

http://mynintendonews.com/2016/02/1...mation/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

OK, let me ask this here then.
I have a 3DS and a Wii U with the same NNID and I've bought tons of digital games through them. But I don't like my Gamertag anymore and I want a new one. What are my options? Can I make a new NNID on Wii U and can both of them coexist on there? Do I need to buy a new 3DS? It's kinda confusing to me.

I actually had a similar issue recently. Bought a Wii U last year, but my NNID was already tied to a different Wii U. I was able to get it taken off the other one and set to mine, but it took a couple days. Not being a patient person I created a new account, and I really preferred the NNID I recently created.

The problem was all my games were on one account. However, it really was painless. They got my information (also needed my old Nintendo Club account name for verification) and a couple days later I got a email telling me to go to the eShop to redownload the games.

**NOTE**
If you are switching NNID on a 3ds you have to delete your old account, to sign in with the new one. This is supposed to delete the entire account from existence, so theoretically there is no going back. This is necessary since once you get that email, if you check eshop all of your games will no longer show up. They're still on your SD card, so don't delete them!! Just:

1. Delete old NNID and sign in with the the new one.
  2. Once logged in go to the eShop to view your games, and make sure everything came over correctly. If you didn't mess with the memory card, no need to download anything
  3. Go back to the home screen and it should show up like you just bought new games.

TL;DR: Make a second NNID on your Wii U. Call Nintendo Customer Service, and tell them you would like to merge two accounts, telling them which NNID you would like to keep.

Peltz

People may be having trouble linking their accounts if browsing in Safari. To fix this, just use another web browser.

OP, you may want to include this info because I was struggling trying to link my NNID and Google+ accounts on Safari.

ramparter

Banned
**NOTE**
If you are switching NNID on a 3ds you have to delete your old account, to sign in with the new one. This is supposed to delete the entire account from existence, so theoretically there is no going back. This is necessary since once you get that email, if you check eshop all of your games will no longer show up. They're still on your SD card, so don't delete them!! Just:

1. Delete old NNID and sign in with the the new one.
  2. Once logged in go to the eShop to view your games, and make sure everything came over correctly. If you didn't mess with the memory card, no need to download anything
  3. Go back to the home screen and it should show up like you just bought new games.

You don't have to delete your old NNID, there's the option to format the console and then create a new NNID.

Vuze

What sort of weird font are they using for the registration page? It's really hard to read and has some awkward kerning. Anyway, signed up because why not.
E: It's used on the whole site lol

Joqu

For now there isn't any advantage to linking your Facebook / Twitter / Google+ account is there? Outside of giving Nintendo access to some of that delicious data of course.

Arttemis

Wait... aren't these supposed to allow for account based software licenses instead of having it all tied to the console hardware?

Wait... aren't these supposed to allow for account based software licenses instead of having it all tied to the console hardware?

We already have account based software licences and have had so since NNiDs launched. The problem is that Nintendo only allows your account to be on one of each console at any one time and it is very hard to move your account from one console to another. That is what Nintendo needs to fix.

Plum

So the current NNIDs are basically just there because the Wii U and 3DS require them? Then when the NX releases everything will be merged into one? Now I've made my Nintendo Account can I sign in with that on my Wii U/3DS, or do I still have to use my NNID details like always?

Great thread though, I'm just an idiot when it comes to these things.

Arttemis

For future consoles? Maybe. Hopefully. Who knows.

For the 3DS / Wii U? Doesn't look they're changing anything on those no.

Thanks

We already have account based software licences and have had so since NNiDs launched. The problem is that Nintendo only allows your account to be on one of each console at any one time and it is very hard to move your account from one console to another. That is what Nintendo needs to fix.

Whoa, really!? I don't see the point of these new systems, then, as these features seem so minuscule compared to having more control and access to the games I buy on a games console. I was under the impression that this was getting brought to the existing generation as well as being even superior on Nintendo's next generation.

I guess this is just the framework for that system to be implemented? If not, then... lame.

Whoa, really!? I don't see the point of these new systems, then, as these features seem so minuscule compared to having more control and access to the games I buy on a games console. I was under the impression that this was getting brought to the existing generation as well as being even superior on Nintendo's next generation.

I guess this is just the framework for that system to be implemented? If not, then... lame.

I'm under the impression that new features will be added over time like MyNintendo which will launch in March. But yeah, this seems to be mostly preparation for NX and also for Nintendo's expansion into iOS and Andriod games as well as licensed products such as Films, TV programs and theme parks. I really hope NNiDs will be able to be used on more than one NX simultaneously but I'm honestly not expecting it.

Joqu

Yes. I'd assume this is all for the new systems mostly. We might get some small incentives on 3DS / Wii U but they don't seem to be touching how accounts work on those old Nintendo devices.

The only thing I really want from a Nintendo account system is being able to recover any digital content I buy, in case my console gets bricked or stolen, without having to call consumer support for it. This is a function virtually every account system offers, and is ridiculous that in 2016 Nintendo doesn't offer it as well. Plus, it is a spit on the face of anyone who lives in regions not covered by their consumer support.

-shadow-

I can't be the only one who finds the fact that the option to delete your Nintendo Account being on the main page is a bit odd. I'm all for giving people the option. But shouldn't it be placed somewhere in a completely separate page?

Caleones

Banned
About having content on two separate accounts, I had a similar issue to that. Last year when I sold my 3DS, I deleted all the content from it, but accidentally deleted my NNID. When I tried to access it on my Wii U, it said that it had been deleted and I could no longer access it. I created a new NNID, called Nintendo and even though my previous NNID had been deleted, they confirmed information from it and all purchases I had on it were moved over to my new NNID. It took a couple of days but I was able to consolidate all my purchases on one.

L.O.R.D

so,if i linked my NNID to my nintendo account
can i use it on another device?
the system transfer thing is very painful.

Great thread. It's really a simplification, given that neither MyNintendo nor NNID will be actual accounts. MyNintendo is a service and I'd say the NNID will be just a property of the Nintendo Account.

it seems this thread was created just for you

I said damn.

So I should probably link my child's NNID to an account to avoid any problems in the future.

I also hope that the Nintendo account completely absorbs the NNID so they are one in the same later down the line.

so,if i linked my NNID to my nintendo account
can i use it on another device?
the system transfer thing is very painful.
Currently nothing about how NNIDs work has changed. Your NNID is still locked to one 3DS console and one Wii U. Down the line this may change, but nothing has been announced on the matter.

Choomp

Banned
Informative thread! I'm really getting giddy about Miitomo coming out next month, while it doesn't look like much it feels like the beginning of the new generation for Nintendo.

Also, I'm a sucker for Mii shit like Tomodachi Life. I love the cute Nintendo stuff of that nature

Well, it's more like one account. MyNintendo is a service that will be completely under your Nintendo account, and once you link your NNID and Nintendo account they effectively merge and become a single account with a shared login.

Your Nintendo Account is your primary account, everything else is just a service under that account.

I'll try to make the verbiage a little clearer later today, but right now it's almost 6am and I seriously have to go to bed haha.

So if I'm understanding the login information will all be the same. And it will all just be a part of you Nintendo Account?

When I think "account" I think separate login and passwords. So 3 accounts makes me think three separate logins and passwords which seems redundant.

One set of login info is the way to go

Yep. This is what I want from Nintendo's online services.

1. Ability to change NNiD name.
2. Cloud Saves. (Which are apparently coming.)
3. Ability to merge accounts

And most importantly:

4. The ability to use a NNiD on more than one of each console

There's no possible way they'll introduce "account merging" since that means it will be possible to sell Nintendo Network IDs and the digital games associated with them for money.

Already you can merge NNIDs if you created both of them and can prove that, all you have to do is call in. But since NNIDs are non-transferable and cannot be sold, they will never introduce a way to do it locally. Just like with any other online video game platform.

Isn't Nintendo Account going to replace NNID next generation? It sure sounds like it will at least.
NNID is being folded in the Nintendo Account services. As far as the actual "account" goes, the two are being merged, with the Nintendo Network becoming a collection of services under the Nintendo Account umbrella, Nintendo Accounts supplanting NNID as the core account system, and NNIDs living on as your unique online identitifier used for Nintendo Network services.

There's no possible way they'll introduce "account merging" since that means it will be possible to sell Nintendo Network IDs and the digital games associated with them for money.

Already you can merge NNIDs if you created both of them and can prove that, all you have to do is call in. But since NNIDs are non-transferable and cannot be sold, they will never introduce a way to do it locally. Just like with any other online video game platform.
No you can't. I have called, emailed and used thier chat client multiple times to contact them about it and they have always told me it cannot be done. Maybe it is just NoE.

Regardless I never said I wanted it to be local just possible.

Joqu

No you can't. I have called, emailed and used thier chat client multiple times to contact them about it and they have always told me it cannot be done. Maybe it is just NoE.

Regardless I never said I wanted it to be local just possible.

Yeah. I know there are people who say they managed to get it done but they were all american from what I know. NoE didn't allow it when I asked them either.

Top Bottom