• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken's Skill Level system will allegedly NOT apply to online play

In the Wii U version of Pokken Tournament, you can level up your Pokémon to 100 and customize its stats (While the Arcade version only goes to 50, titles requiring level 100 have been spotted in youtube videos). For single player this is sweet, but for competitive play it's not desirable for balance reasons. This has made some people wonder if it will apply to online, because if it did then a lot of grinding would be required to be competitive. However, according to GameXplain it does not:
vbIeGI4.png

While they didn't get the opportunity to play online they probably asked a rep about it. And yes, you can turn this system off for local play, too.

Lock if old.

EDIT: Also there are Extra Battles if you want them but that just turns the orbs into Random Boxes that either do various nice things for you or give you negative status effects.

Zipzo

Banned
So hyped to dive in and lab with this game, it's gonna be a great departure from a decade of Smash Brothers and only middling experience with traditional fighters...something that sort of strikes a fun "nintendo"-ish middle ground.

I'm glad they've taken so many measures to ensure that it has competitive potential, such as this, or the local Wii U connectivity for tournament play, etc.

ash_ag

Pokkén's single player features seem to build upon simple, easy-to-develop ideas. Given how much of a topic 'content' in Fighting games is lately, it's good that they've taken a little time to implement them. More importantly, It's also good that they don't affect competitive play.

TDLink

Has off-screen TV Play been confirmed already? It's literally the only thing holding me back.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be in. But I don't think I've seen anyone saying it is 100% there. I am sure someone who went to the preview could answer it though.

That's pretty obvious, Namco wouldn't be this dumb to kill any competitiveness.
I believe skill levels applied to online and local multiplayer in the arcade version, actually. I could be wrong but I haven't seen anything suggesting otherwise.
Has off-screen TV Play been confirmed already? It's literally the only thing holding me back.
I haven't seen anything to suggest that it's not in. We'll see I guess.

CPCunha

They said no plans for DLC... so 16 characters tops? I really thought they'd keep on releasing characters for a long time...

...oh well, i guess i'll just get Fire Emblem.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
They said no plans for DLC... so 16 characters tops? I really thought they'd keep on releasing characters for a long time...

...oh well, i guess i'll just get Fire Emblem.

They can still release DLC just later, same as they did with smash and mario kart

bman94

Peléo;195774962 said:
Is it possible to turn off the commentator?

Asking the right questions here.

They can still release DLC just later, same as they did with smash and mario kart

It was a whole year after Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS release and we got 7 characters out of that, with 3 of them being character previously made from older games in the series. I'm betting it would take a considerable amount of time to make up new content for a game that's relatively new period. At least with Smash it was an already established formula with experienced staff working on it which I assume would speed up the character creation process. With Pokken I don't really see any DLC unless it sells a stupid amount of copies. Like Splatoon levels of success for them to think about creating previously unplanned DLC. And even with that, if the NX does in in fact come out this year, I wouldn't make much sense for Nintendo to continue to support DLC on their legacy console when they want shift the consumer's focus.

TDLink

They've been releasing new characters in the arcade every 1.5 months or so. They didn't say they were done with Arcade characters. So there's a good chance they'll keep releasing them. If they add more to the Arcade I am sure they are going to add them to the Wii U version also as a free update.

Top Bottom