• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is going on with Xbox Live?

Yesterday, from around noon EST until late EST (past 9 or 10pm), XBL core services were down.

Currently, purchases and content usage is once again "limited"
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status

According to people on reddit, and from my own experiences, some part of XBL, whether is social and gaming (matchmaking/friends), core services (pretty much everything), or purchases and content usage (accessing your digital games, buying new ones) has gone down 10 days in a row.

It doesnt mean live just goes straight down but at least one of those has failed every day for 9-10 days.

Microsoft has been completely silent on the issues besides "we're working on it". And to be fair, yesterday was the first time the whole operation came to a hault, usually its just one of the parts of live that has gone down (like friends suddenly being gone). Core services has NOT gone down every day.

There Is a hacking group claiming responsibility. Im not gonna link them to give them attention. But who knows if its actually true.

If im an XBL user, which I am, im fucking mad. Especially because there are people who claim they have set their console as their home xbox and going offline has not restored access to digital purchases. For most,it is.

If im a developer, im fuming right now. 2 big games released today that people either cant buy or cant play.

WTF is going on?

webkatt

I've heard the are getting DDOS.

At least that's what the kids on the playground are saying.

jelly

Microsoft can't handle the massive PC gamer influx. The Windows Store is getting popular.....lol.

I dunno. Microsoft will probably spill the beans once they get it sorted.

TimPV3

CduKHqc.png

Shenmue

Banned
The silver lining is that the longer they have issues the better the freebies will be. Gotta find positives where you can.

Chris1

It's really annoying, xbox live this gen has been disappointing compared to the 360 but it's never been as bad as this week.

Hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

Surely you can access digital content regardless of whether you're signed in?

It works fine when you're connected, it works fine when you're not connected. When the connection is spotty, most games give an error just when trying to launch. If you go into offline mode they launch.

I've been online and playing with friends throughout all the reported outages for the past week until yesterday. It was down for most of the afternoon, but then we got on last night and were playing while stuff was still down.

Seems likely that it would either be a concentrated attack or something to do with maintenance which could explain why it's going down for some and not others.

Yup, it's been shit for more than 12 hours for me, if not more.

The store is down, online play is down...

I haven't seen Xbox Live doing bad in a long time. I can't believe how MS dropped the ball Xbox Live wise this gen. The service is just not as stable.

Edit: That fake Kaz account, Gold comedy right there, too good !!! LOL !

I would've thought most people only have one Xbox One though.

If you have a friend's console as your home xbox, they get access to all of your digital games. When you sign in to your actual xbox with your gamertag, you can play those games as well at the same time.

When outages like this happen, you're screwed.

I was just about to buy and put in a code for XBox Live, even knowing the problems they're currently having. I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I can't even get to the screen to input a code to buy their service because that doesn't work either.

iMax

If you have a friend's console as your home xbox, they get access to all of your digital games. When you sign in to your actual xbox with your gamertag, you can play those games as well at the same time.

When outages like this happen, you're screwed.

That makes sense. Guess people shouldn't do this then!

U2NUMB

It really is past the point where someone at MS needs to officially talk about it.. even if its an outside source causing it at least be honest. Letting the internet run their mind is NEVER a good idea in the age of Twitter.

iMax

I still don't really understand DDOS. Can't they implement some sort of protocol for their servers so they only respond to packets from designated Xbox One consoles? Although I guess that'd only really work with IPv6 and not a shared IP using NAT.

cakely

I need to bookmark this thread for when someone tries to tell me how much more reliable XBL is than their competition.

MrBlonde

This is still happening?? I couldn't play anything last night and with PVZ2 out today I better be able to play my digital purchase of the game this evening after work!

bman94

It's really god damn frustrating. I was trying to Mortal Kombat X last night and it constantly refused to load. Once I disconnected my Xbox One from the internet it worked. Why the hell does a retail copy of a game require the internet to work? I was only trying to play single player. That's really bullshit.

ViciousDS

Banned
interesting PSN goes down we have fucking pages of people complaining that its ALWAYS down and XBL is the gods of services.

I have both, but to be honest they both have times where its just as shittty and out as long as the other. It's like a cell phone provider (damn it mom T-mobile has issues once in awhile just like every service providers!)

hoping its back up when I get home.....I want to watch some breaking bad on netflix. Could never get it to work when service is wonky.

edit: who's the idiots DDoS'ing this time?

Top Bottom