• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess HD Review Thread

DKHF

Metacritic
OpenCritic

My friend's review
Nintendo Insider - 9/10

Mine for Gamereactor is a solid 9/10 and includes a huge (and beautiful&varied if I myself can say that) 70 (!) 1080p screenshot gallery:

http://www.gamereactor.es/analisis/282823/The+Legend+of+Zelda+Twilight+Princess+HD/
(Spanish)

Italian review from one of my collegues at I Love Videogames : 8.5/10

Here there is my Italian review:
Wiitalia.it: 8.5/10

Basically, I say that the game is a great game, the work done for an HD remaster is at least good or even very good, the result is a great game and everyone who still has to play it for the first time is in for a great time. On the other hand, the game suffers a bit the issue of being an hd remaster so the feeling for those who already played it will of cours be toned down, but not only. The game also suffers its time: its dynamics are a bit too classic, some animations are not so good, and I really hope for Zelda U to refresh the formula a little bit (SS already did that partially)
8/10 from Metro Gamecentral

In Short: It’s certainly not the best entry in the Zelda series, but a good quality remaster and the presence of Midna still makes this one worth returning to.

Pros: In terms of gameplay and dungeon design the game gets very little wrong. Very large game world, with lots to see and do. Midna is great and the remaster itself is excellent.

Cons: Very few new ideas, and an unhealthy obsession with trying to recreate the magic of Ocarina Of Time. Bland, and occasionally downright ugly, art design. Still too long and awkwardly paced.

They liked the work put into the remake itself.

McDougles

My new fellow editor wrote the review for GameSided. She gave it an 8.5/10.

GameSided said:
If you loved Twilight Princess originally or didn't get a chance to play its original incarnation, it's certainly worth a look now. If nothing else, Twilight Princess will whet your appetite for the upcoming Legend of Zelda Wii U. Seeing the beauty, the shortcomings, and the previous-gen system limitations play together in the world of Hyrule made it all the more exciting to speculate about what Nintendo will do with their creation. But while we wait, Twilight Princess remains an enjoyable, challenging, and moving diversion.

JoeM86

My friend's review
Nintendo Insider - 9/10
The legend is reborn, with The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD delivering the definitive version of an undisputed masterpiece. 10 years may have passed but it remains as one of the greatest games ever created, and this Wii U exclusive becomes the very best way to relive the sweeping epic.

Looking forward to my copy late this week. Finished it on Wii at launch, felt disillusioned/underwhelmed with the motion controls, and had a slightly redeeming experience when I purchased the Gamecube version some years later -- felt much better to me by traditional control scheme. I never finished that Gamecube version playthrough, though, so I'm quite looking forward to a version of the game that has refined visual presentation, the comforts of touch screen inventory management, and a control format that provides gyroscope aiming. :) It'll be the best control interfacing of any version of this game!

... also, I've collected all of the Legend of Zelda themed amiibo so far and I'm looking forward to the Wolf Link. Like, a lot, it looks really cool.

Heartfyre

Just like every Zelda game, it's simultaneously the best game and the worst game in the series, depending on who you ask.

I'm expecting a lot of 8s, a few 9s, and a couple of feisty 7s.

Is this available digitally? Will it be cheaper than the retail version since it doesn't come with the Amiibo? I can not afford the $80 they want in Canada, but I just want the game.

Luigi87

Just like every Zelda game, it's simultaneously the best game and the worst game in the series, depending on who you ask.

I'm expecting a lot of 8s, a few 9s, and a couple of feisty 7s.

Compared to the original the HD ver. has scored better on Gamespot, and worse on IGN, lol

MrBadger

I'm disappointed Gamespot didn't rate it 8.8

I thought Twilight Princess' masterpiece status was actually pretty, ehhh, disputed?

It's a rather divisive game, all in all.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any Zelda game where the word "undisputed" applies

Actually, Faces of Evil because everyone thinks it's trash

From the Game Spot review

Let's get the hard truth out of the way: In recent years the bloom has come off the rose for 3D Zeldas. Skyward Sword was a regrettable misstep, because endearing characters and absorbing locations have for years been the foundation stones of this treasured, highborn series, and 2011's Wii adventure had a paucity of both. Twilight Princess is a link back to that old magic of searching across its plains, alone but prepared, discovering new societies and cultures and races and people who resonate.

Ehhhhh

BY2K

Membero Americo
Whoever did the review for Nintendo World Report needs to calm down about Midna.

It comes off as a little creepy to me.

Alex

I thought Twilight Princess' masterpiece status was actually pretty, ehhh, disputed?

All Zelda games have lumps but beyond the shitty intro Twilight Princess has the best dungeons in the series and that's what counts for me.

CaVaYeRo

Mine for Gamereactor is a solid 9/10 and includes a huge (and beautiful&varied if I myself can say that) 70 (!) 1080p screenshot gallery:

http://www.gamereactor.es/analisis/282823/The+Legend+of+Zelda+Twilight+Princess+HD/
(Spanish)

legendzelda_1691883b.png

legendzelda_1692143b.png

legendzelda_1691723b.png

legendzelda_1691823b.png

EDIT: Review in English (sans the 70 screens): http://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/394323/The+Legend+of+Zelda+Twilight+Princess+HD/

Actually higher scores than I was expecting. Looks like the refinements all hit their marks. I don't know if I will pick this up or not, but I am getting anxious for a definitive Zelda this gen, so this might tide me over at some point.

Kinsei

Banned

Every Zelda is divisive. I personally think it's the worst 3D Zelda (But still a great game) and others think it's a masterpiece and one of the best (if not the best) Zelda games.

Ridley327

I'm sure most people would have wanted a full-on remake of an already good-to-great game, but it sounds like they did a good job with the remastering here and the QOL improvements add up in the long run.

Ridley327

From the Game Spot review

Ehhhhh

I'm kind of shocked they would say this, given Groose's popularity and the game having one of the best incarnations of the Zelda and Impa characters in the entire series. Appreciation for the TP cast frequently begins and ends right at Midna.

All Zelda games are divisive.
Especially about the art-style.

I will personally say that I used to be quite lukewarm on Twilight Princess due to my own distaste for the motion controls on the Wii version, and that the game was redeemed when I eventually played the Gamecube version later. The art style was never really the issue -- I quite like the concept art for the game but I feel like the game has always sold that art style short in-game due to the low-grade graphics. I don't personally feel like the HD version is quite making the art style live up to its full potential still, but it is nonetheless nice to have it cleaned up.

Not particularly looking forward to playing as Wolf Link again, though -- never quite felt that it was very entertaining.

I mean it's basically a better version of OoT, how can it not be a masterpiece.

Nah bruh

The game has lots of problems - wolf link, tear collecting, rupees useless, way too easy, items limited in usage, empty hyrule, "you got a red rupee, it's worth 5", waggle/no widescreen, among others

The HD version seems to have fixed some, but it's still a middling 3D Zelda. Skyward sword would have easily been better if not for a few glaring problems of its own.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Whoever did the review for Nintendo World Report needs to calm down about Midna.

It comes off as a little creepy to me.

That's not creepy. It's known that Midna is quite the hornbat, after all.

balgajo

Twilight Princess is my third favorite Zelda game(behind Oot and Majora's). The pace isn't nowhere near as good as Oot(probably the best pace in Zelda series) and even though I'm fine with the first part of the game I see how someone can be very annoyed with it.

Because it fails at many things as well. Wolf Link, exploration, lack of control of Day/Night cycle, Tears of Light, items that never get used after a dungeon, terrible pacing, bloated intro, off the rails final segment, passive atmosphere, no-challenge combat, Ocarina rehashes, mixed up audio priorities, dull coloring... the list goes on and on.

It does dungeons great, though. The non-combat parts of them anyways.

None of those registered as problems for me :p

That's fine if you don't care, but that doesn't mean those aren't legitimate flaws that the poster brought up.

I almost agree with this. Almost. I mean, I've actually said that in the past myself, but after playing OoT 3D, I'm not sure if I agree anymore. I think both OoT and TP are very comparable in terms of quality, though. They are two of my favorite games of all time. There are some things TP does better (best dungeons in the entire series imo) and other things OoT does better (pacing).

I do wish they had added a way to control the day/night cycle in the HD version though... :(

Litri

The reviews I have read confirm my decision of getting this day one. The screencaps from gamereactor are very good. So 1080p confirmed?

Top Bottom