• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 newest patch reportedly makes the game run even worse than before

From the patch news thread:

PS4
I found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgJPiDdNAh8

Same happen to me. And for my standards this is unplayable. I wish I could uninstall the patch :(
XB1
Just installed the patch on Xbox One (3GB) aaaaaand
tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif

Didn't change a thing. Just as unplayable as before. I have no way to measure the framerate here, but it feels exactly like it did before. Maybe it's 22 instead of 19 fps now? I don't know.

This is fucking embarrassing.
Meanwhile, PC version is somehow delayed to next week.
Update: It's out now and it seems fine.

Don't install the patch (on consoles) if you can.

I wonder if this'll do anything to the PC version. I've only had it running at 100fps for a short amount of time so far, I don't want it taken away lol.

manzo

Holy shit the ROTR PS4 port is going to be a fucking disgrace if it's the same group doing the porting work.

DrBo42

I have it on Xbox One now, I'll see if I can record something showing current performance in the same city with no strain and then with explosions/physics.

xrnzaaas

Wow this looks bad. They should remove this patch since these days you don't have a choice which version gets installed.

True Fire

I'm sure the game will be playable on consoles before the one year anniversary. Or they'll just give up on it, like Arkham Knight PC.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Haven't played with the new patch but I have put about 20 hours into the PS4 version and never seen anything as bad as that video in the OP. What a fumble.

KyleCross

I'm starting to be really glad that I said "screw waiting" and picked up RotTR on sale for XB1. Holy crap Avalanche...

DrBo42

The big difference between PS4 and Xbox One is that the XB1 version is always bad. There aren't huge stutters in the movement because the framerate is ALWAYS low on the XB1 version. Haha. It's so slow to the point where it's hard to actually control the character and aim etc.

Anyway recorded the same city as PS4 version, enjoy.

http://1drv.ms/1L9YKp8

kvn

The big difference between PS4 and Xbox One is that the XB1 version is always bad. There aren't huge stutters in the movement because the framerate is ALWAYS low on the XB1 version. Haha. It's so slow to the point where it's hard to actually control the character and aim etc.

Anyway recorded the same city as PS4 version, enjoy.

http://1drv.ms/1L9YKp8

Oh gawd, how in the world is anybody supposed to play this?

Danlord

I can attest to this.

I had just downloaded the patch on PS4 and the loading is far from improved and the fps did seem worse. One particular scenario I had over 8 minute loading time from a particular cinematic very early in ( not played it that long) when I'm protecting my friend in the pickup. After that cutscene takes over 8 minutes to load.

Everywhere else, it's definitely not holding anywhere near 30. I'm experiencing bad fps almost everywhere I play. No amount of action determines this. From driving on the road to blowing up a lot of containers, it is a bad experience all around.

I'm hoping another patch comes sooner, I started getting really into the game but the fps and loading times are horrible.

DrBo42

Oh gawd, how in the world is anybody supposed to play this?

It's hard, man. Shame because it's actually pretty fun and the wingsuit is really great. People thought Unity was bad but this is consistently worse to me and actually earns the term unplayable on XB1.

MadYarpen

That's.... bad. I wanted some casual game for PS4 with blowing stuff up, but I don't think this will be the one...

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Im guessing the tomb raider port would be done by the mad max avalanche devs no. Not just cause 3 devs who are doing dlc.

Mad max avalanche are the main studio

Corpekata

Banned
Tested the patch on PC. Can't say I noticed any difference in initial load time, still feels way too long.

Performance was fine.

Someone saying the DLC is actually live on PC in the steam forums too. That explains why my DL was only 700mbish and not the 2.2 gb reported earlier. Must be bigger for season pass owners.

Kezen

Banned
Nothing has changed here, performance is excellent but load times are still very long (SSD).
Edit : of course GI is still bugged (flickering) and SMAA is useless.

This is not the level of polish that should be expected from a AAA production.

Nothing has changed here, performance is excellent but load times are still very long (SSD).
Edit : of course GI is still bugged (flickering) and SMAA is useless.

This is not the level of polish that should be expected from a AAA production.

It blows my mind that someone could not see how ridiculous that framerate is, but you claim it's excellent somehow?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Unfortunately this isn't the first time this has happened in this generation. Witcher 3 had atleast one patch that made the X1 version run worse than at launch. It escapes my mind how devs think pushing this shit out is good.

Pif

Banned
I'll wait until all the DLC is out to get back in this game.

It's fun, but the performance really kills it.

I soldiered through a lot of the performance issues in Just Cause 3 because I genuinely had fun with it, the new mobility options were great and though I wasn't a fan of all the challenge types, there were none that I was super-negative on (though one racing challenge, the one where it's a town circuit with like 1:15 par time or whatever the performance hiccups would fuck up my steering and timing to the point where I genuinely lost my temper and stood up screaming "FUCK FUCK FUCK").

It's a real bummer that this is ultimately what kills any real excitement for this game, they should've delayed it or called in some assistance (though maybe a delay wouldn't have helped as we're 4 months out and it's still in such a state).

Any verdict on the PC patch? I'll be able to test it myself soon but still curious.

I can confirm that they have fixed the most glaring issue : The memory leaks.

Just played for like 10 minutes and it worked consistently well , usually it would start stuttering and the memory usage would have increased considerably, but it worked fine.

The initial loading time when starting the game is the same as it always was though ( I don't have an SSD).

They seem to fixed quite a lot of issues on the PC version with this patch, let's hope they fix them for the console versions too :)

EDIT: WELP, I take it all back. The memory leak is still there, it's just gotten a lot slower than before. Game still eats through memory very unnecessarily.

kyser73

Holy shit that is the fist time I've seen JC3 running on a PS4... and thats after a "performance" patch?!

Lord thats worse that Assassin Creed on the PS3 and that shit was awful.

This is way worse than it was. Outside of a little slowdown when things got crazy I was generally pleased with performance, if not loading times.

But this is an abomination.

TimFL

60fps is pretty decent performance to me, only drops below that when an astonishing amount of objects are blowing up.

PC? The game runs locked 60fps with everything maxed @ 1080p here. No dips, ever.

I didn't know people had performance problems with this game. Batman AK runs without dips here though so there's that.

I can confirm that they have fixed the most glaring issue : The memory leaks.

Just played for like 10 minutes and it worked consistently well , usually it would start stuttering and the memory usage would have increased considerably, but it worked fine.

The initial loading time when starting the game is the same as it always was though ( I don't have an SSD).

They seem to fixed quite a lot of issues on the PC version with this patch, let's hope they fix them for the console versions too :)

EDIT: WELP, I take it all back. The memory leak is still there, it's just gotten a lot slower than before. Game still eats through memory very unnecessarily.

Just tested it myself now. Runs better (around 115FPS) when it's actually running, but the game is totally fucked lol.

First time I ran it it wouldn't log in and got stuck. I closed the game in the task manager and it leaked memory, I was stuck at 99% (16GB) until I restarted. Ran it again, it loaded much faster than normal but got briefly stuck on the loading screen. I spawned on an airstrip so I thought I'd crash the plane into a bridge, as soon as the plane exploded Rico disappeared and the game crashed with a sound loop.

On the plus side, it releases its memory back to the OS when it crashes lol.

Blizzard

Banned
PC? The game runs locked 60fps with everything maxed @ 1080p here. No dips, ever.

I didn't know people had performance problems with this game. Batman AK runs without dips here though so there's that.
That's actually impressive. I want your computer. :p

magnetic

At the very least, this convinced me to pick up my old save on JC2 360 again. I stopped playing it even though I enjoyed it a lot because I didn't want to burn out on this style until I finally get a PS4, but these framerates give me nausea and I think I actually prefer the mood in JC2 to this one.

JBwB

Those frame rate drops are horrendous. You're really dropping the ball here Avalanche...

This doesn't bode well for the PS4 ROTR port.

Top Bottom