• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 newest patch reportedly makes the game run even worse than before

valkyre

THis was supposed to be a performance improvement patch?

If yes then LMAO this industry continues to amaze me everyday.

DrBo42

Hopefully this doesn't get lost in The Division hype. Sites need to pick up on this and hammer Avalanche about it. It's absurd.

nOoblet16

Why?
Just cause....

Those frame rate drops are horrendous. You're really dropping the ball here Avalanche...

This doesn't bode well for the PS4 ROTR port.

Unrelated.
Just cause 3 runs bad because it is heavily CPU dependent due to the destruction, and the consoles have weak ass CPUs.

Tomb Raider is a GPU centric game that runs on an engine developed by Crystal Dynamics that Avalanche will merely be porting.

Why?
Just cause....

Unrelated.
Just cause 3 runs bad because it is heavily CPU dependent due to the destruction, and the consoles have weak ass CPUs.

Tomb Raider is a GPU centric game that runs on an engine developed by Crystal Dynamics that Avalanche will merely be porting.

Plus JC3 was made by the New York branch of Avalanche, not the Stockholm branch. We don't even know which one is going to be handling the port.

Pimpbaa

I don't understand. Did they even test to see if performance was actually better with the patch on a ps4 and xb1? Did they just code the patch and test nothing and just shit it out assuming it was fine?

God, Just Cause 3 is such a massive waste of potential.

They botched everything that could've made it great.

First priority should have been to fix things from JC2 which needed polishing, like the shooting and driving physics, but instead they seem to have thrown a bunch of extra features on top without actually tightening up the underlying gameplay first.

Yeah, I just played for about an hour on PC and I didn't really notice any improvements performance wise, might even be less stable than before for me with it regularly dropping a couple frames even after I lowered the frame rate from 72 to 60 it still wouldn't stay locked. I did turn GI back on for a bit and didn't notice and flickering so I guess there's that. I was reminded other reasons I lost interest in playing though. Should've copied down my settings but, eh...

2500k at 4.5Ghz, 970 at 1417Mhz, 16GB RAM and running it off an SSD.

Arttemis

Whoops, didn't realize there was a separate performance thread for the same patch.

My game runs more smoothly with the patch. I'm uploading a 15 minute YouTube video that has none of the stuttering that the short, often quoted video has.

Will link it when it's finished uploading.

Just Cause 3 is a big let down, and not just frame wise. The whole map isn't even impressive as some of the bigger cities in Just Cause 2 had more to them, the biggest town in 3 is like a normal town in 2. I'll get it another go this weekend but I don't know if I can finish it given how extremely repeatative it is. I can't wait to take the same settlement over 10 more times!

kevin1025

Banned
It's really unfortunate, especially since Mad Max runs incredibly well (except for one area of the game where the framerate craps out often). And given how long it took for this performance patch to hit, it may be a while, or maybe even never, when a fix will come.

Zojirushi

Do they even test this stuff?

This is what I'm wondering more and more these days.

I'm mean stuff breaking on PC is kindasorta understandable because PC always gonna PC.

But fucking up patches on consoles is beyond me, I would actually love to have some background info on how these things work (or don't work) in the real world of making videogames.

The PC patch has definitely improved my performance, though the game still has problems. With a 2GB 670, the game was 100% unplayable at launch, the first patch got me to 30ish FPS will every setting as low as it would go (or off), and with the newest patch I was able to bump a few settings up to Medium, turn on AA and still get a reasonable framerate.

For a while, at least. After about an hour it all went to shit again, which I assume means there's still a memory leak somewhere.

The PC patch has definitely improved my performance, though the game still has problems. With a 2GB 670, the game was 100% unplayable at launch, the first patch got me to 30ish FPS will every setting as low as it would go (or off), and with the newest patch I was able to bump a few settings up to Medium, turn on AA and still get a reasonable framerate.

For a while, at least. After about an hour it all went to shit again, which I assume means there's still a memory leak somewhere.

The performance is the exact same as it was when the first patch hit, but the memory leak, as you said, is still there.

I have a 760 GTX (2GB) and 8GB RAM.

I loved JC2 but this game has been a big disappointment. Aside from the many technical issues, I still don't understand why there's no easy mode as there was in previous games. I just want to run around and blow shit up and do cool stuff. It sucks when you get shot a few times and die.

EvB

I can't tell the difference to be honest, although after my most played game of the last few weeks being Rocket League, the framerate and motion blue were more painful than I remembered.

Lister

Banned
arkham knight says hi
there's no general rule for that

Its largely the better version.... now at least. Sure was a shit show at launch - but it's also the worst PC port in a long while, while these issues are becoming more and more common on the consoles.

Multi-platform issues? Don't know what's going on.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Some games are too ambitious for a closed console environment and shouldn't be purchased on consoles. This is one of those games.

I was so hyped for this game, I was going to get it day 1. But then problems with it started to rise, and here I am, waiting for them to be solved.

Lucifon

Just Cause 3 is so disappointing :( The performance ruins the game, but even without performance issues it just doesn't seem as fun as the others. Maybe it's just fatigue.

xrnzaaas

Just Cause 3 is so disappointing :( The performance ruins the game, but even without performance issues it just doesn't seem as fun as the others. Maybe it's just fatigue.

The only truly fun thing in this game in the wingsuit. The rest is just not that good and also many things (like the map variety, progress system or the bike&helicopter controls) were done worse than in JC2.

greenegt

Bummed. I have the game on XB1. I enjoy it, but the framerate getting worse is really frustrating. Avalanche should be motivated to get this right, as they have DLC to sell.

omonimo

Banned
Why?
Just cause....

Unrelated.

I though it runs bad because was horribly optimized on console and the fact this patch screwed even more the performance, still leaning to think it's more matter of terrible optimization than everything. Though I think will never fix this shit, I suspect they should rewrite everything from the beginning to improve really something.

Afrikan

is this really Avalanche's A Team? I know they worked on Mad Max...and they were great with JC2...it looked and played AMAZING!

Arttemis

is this really Avalanche's A Team? I know they worked on Mad Max...and they were great with JC2...it looked and played AMAZING!

It's always been known that it's not their primary dev team. This is Avalanche New York, which was just recently created.

Top Bottom