• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divine Tower Prison: Mary Skelter (Compile Heart / DRPG / PlayStation Vita / 2016)

Shizuka

qR6YNdT.png

laF8dQ6.png

Compile Heart x Dengeki x PlayStation. Compile Heart developed DRPG for the PlayStation Vita.

Official announcement trailer.

One of these days I'd like to give DRPGs another shot, here's hoping this or the one NIS is doing now is good for beginners.

I'd really like that "teaser" would mean at least 2 seconds of gameplay.

They know most of their fanbase well enough to know that gameplay isn't high on the list of what sells their games. Show the girls and show what you can do to the girls (if it's a heavy fanservice game) and that's just about it for catching peoples attention.

Have you tried Demon Gaze? That's my go-to suggestion for DRPG beginners.

Pretty much one of the most beginner friendly drpgs out there, even if it's not the greatest in terms of actual mechanics.

StereoVsn

Why is that? Did you think the game was too difficult?
He was probably referring to fan service. It was a bit over the top but the game itself was fairly good for DRPG beginners and had some decent and interesting mechanics without being overly difficult.

Mozendo

Sweet, since it's compile heart we'll most likely get this in the west right?
Art style isn't that bad and the music seemed pretty good, definitely interested.

One of these days I'd like to give DRPGs another shot, here's hoping this or the one NIS is doing now is good for beginners.

You mean Stranger of Sword City? I recall people saying it's a challenging game and probably Experience Inc's hardest game to date.

Aside from Demon Gaze Etrian Odyssey IV is a very good choice if you have a 3DS.

Shizuka

You mean Stranger of Sword City? I recall people saying it's a challenging game and probably Experience Inc's hardest game to date.

Aside from Demon Gaze Etrian Odyssey IV is a very good choice if you have a 3DS.

Maybe he's talking about Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain, that's a NIS DRPG.

Have you tried Demon Gaze? That's my go-to suggestion for DRPG beginners.

I've only tried persona q, demos for a few of the EO games and a little bit of a certain game banned on GAF. The pacing of PQ/EO and the inventory management killed it for me. I did enjoy the other one foe a bit but it definitely didn't seem very beginner friendly.

Why is that? Did you think the game was too difficult?

No, I thought both the combat and dungeon design was incredibly lacking compared to every other DRPG I've played. Not a vast number or anything, I'm sure there's worse out there since there always is, but there are just so many better options even if someone feels intimidated by anticipated or supposed difficulty of others. I edited in PQ as one I think would actually be excellent for beginners. Put combat on easy and experience actual DRPG puzzles that the game will still help you out with if you get stumped.

Shizuka

I've only tried persona q, demos for a few of the EO games and a little bit of a certain game banned on GAF. The pacing of PQ/EO and the inventory management killed it for me. I did enjoy the other one foe a bit but it definitely didn't seem very beginner friendly.

I think Demon Gaze might be your best bet, if you have already tried the EO games.

No, I thought both the combat and dungeon design was incredibly lacking compared to every other DRPG I've played. Not a vast number or anything, I'm sure there's worse out there since there always is, but there are just so many better options even if someone feels intimidated by anticipated or supposed difficulty of others. I edited in PQ as one I think would actually be excellent for beginners. Put combat on easy and experience actual DRPG puzzles that the game will still help you out with if you get stumped.

As much as I liked PQ, I don't think it's beginner-friendly. It's not a hard, but the dungeon design gets a little too complex for someone not used to first-person navigation.

Persona 1 isn't a good representation of a dungeon crawler though.
How so? I think it's a much better representation than Demon Gaze tbqh.

By all means, it sounds like Demon Gaze may actually be your thing though.

Puru

Is that from the same team that made Trillion or is it currently unknown? (the way they color the characters kinda remind me of it)
Looks interesting regardless, i'm always up for some good or bad dungeon crawlers.

I'm guessing this is the Trillion team according to the art style.

How so? I think it's a much better representation than Demon Gaze tbqh.

By all means, it sounds like Demon Gaze may actually be your thing though.

DG might not be the deepest DRPG out there but that's what makes it so beginner friendly. It's definitely the DRPG that made me a fan of the genre.

18-Volt

Gematsu reported that it's a "3d active dungeon RPG", whatever that means. Probably "not first person drpg" .

That sounds more like Tokyo Xanadu. It has dungeons, it's in full 3D and the combat is real time action. I'd be all over this if that's the case.

Eh, looks kind of neat and I like the atmosphere. The idea of naming all the characters after fairy tale characters tickles the chuu2 inside.

Then again, it's Compile Heart so can't expect too much.

Details from gematsu

Mary Skelter is set in Japan. In September 1999, a living prison, Jail, suddenly appeared, and submerged a great city 666 meters underground, and went on developing. As a result of Jail’s birth came the appearance of monsters known as “Marchen,” who began seizing and imprisoning humans. The protagonist and heroine were born several decades after this incident and aim to escape the jail in which they were confined.

The living jail possess three great desires by which it grows: appetite, sexual desire, and the desire for sleep. To escape above ground, you must grow the jail more than 666 meters.

The town is imprisoned in jail, and several girls are born after the humans are imprisoned by the Marchen. For some reason, these girls react to the Marchen’s blood and their physical abilities greatly increase, and they form the “Chishiki Girls Squad” in order to plan a jailbreak. This group consists of Akazuki (Little Red Riding Hood), Oyayubihime (Thumbelina), Shirayukihime (Snow White), Nemurihime (Sleeping Beauty), and so on—all members that don the name of fairy-tale heroines.

Here are the currently revealed characters:

Jack – The protagonist. He’s a little timid, but he takes action when the situation calls for it.
Alice (voiced by Sumire Uesaka) – A girl imprisoned together with Jack. The two provide each other mutual support.
Akazukin (Little Red Riding Hood) – An older sister-type who breaks Jack and Alice out of Prison. She saves them because they both possess a special power.
The pink blood that Marchen bleed in battle are involved with the game’s battles, dungeons, and training. In dungeons, there are puzzle-solving elements that involve using items like bows and arrows, bombs, and such. One particularly panic-inducing part of exploring dungeons is when the Merchen boss, “Nightmare,” appears. Nightmare disregards the general ‘one turn, one move’ rule and chases you in real time.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/03/compile-...ower-mary-skelter-ps-vita#RZGMr0f4BKaXEY1q.99

I think "Marchen" is supposed to be "Märchen", the German word for fairytale. Would fit with the theme.

That sounds more like Tokyo Xanadu. It has dungeons, it's in full 3D and the combat is real time action. I'd be all over this if that's the case.

I think "dungeon RPG" is a very specific term in Japanese, and the active part seems to be that movement isn't turn based but that enemies chase you in real time.

We reached limit a bit earlier.

You know, those 2 things don't really seem like something that should be in the same game together. I mean that first thing is literal nightmare fuel, the fanservice almost takes away from that. I understand they like the fanservice and so does their fanbase, but at some point it gets to be a little too much when it's in literally everything, even if it doesn't seem like it would fit the game they're creating.

I say this as a fan of their games. There are times where it's not a bad thing to do just one or the other, this is one of those times. Either keep the horror theme or do yet another fanservice game, you don't need to do both lol.

You know, those 2 things don't really seem like something that should be in the same game together. I mean that first thing is literal nightmare fuel, the fanservice almost takes away from that. I understand they like the fanservice and so does their fanbase, but at some point it gets to be a little too much when it's in literally everything, even if it doesn't seem like it would fit the game they're creating.

I say this as a fan of their games. There are times where it's not a bad thing to do just one or the other, this is one of those times. Either keep the horror theme or do yet another fanservice game, you don't need to do both lol.

The game obviously isn't a full horror game. Creepy monsters and cute girls together in a game isn't really anything new.

I'm not saying everybody has to like the fanservice part, but the combination doesn't seem that strange to me.

Top Bottom