• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft uses realtime FOV adjustment to reduce discomfort for Eagle Flight VR

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzAgKgBEEAc

so basically the sharper you turn, the narrower this FOV becomes

9rO1qP.gif

A variety of methods are being explored to grant players in VR greater freedom of movement while ensuring nobody feels any discomfort as a result of a mismatch between what the body feels and what the eyes see.

As the intensity of movement increased in the game — swooping left/right or turning — the field of view narrows so the player only sees a small sliver of the world. Check it out in the video above.

This is the first time we’ve seen Eagle Flight’s approach to allowing players freedom of movement in VR while reducing discomfort. Jason Rubin, head of Oculus Studios, praised the method on Twitter, saying it is “incredibly effective” and calling for praise of Ubisoft’s team.

iceatcs

Interesting, I wonder how much it help the motion sickness problem.

You could see the warning message at the end of the video said please turn back your head if too much.

This is something I have been curious about! Has anyone played here played Half-Life 2 in VR, and if so did you encounter a sense of motion sickness while playing? Are we not seeing more first person shooter type games because of the problems with motion sickness?

Sky Chief

This is something I have been curious about! Has anyone played here played Half-Life 2 in VR, and if so did you encounter a sense of motion sickness while playing? Are we not seeing more first person shooter type games because of the problems with motion sickness?

Yes, yes (like really bad ruined my entire afternoon and I don't get motion sick easily), and yes

Half Life 2 is horrible for VR sickness, as is pretty much any classic first-person shooter. It's why most first-person VR games are experimenting with different modes of transportation, like teleporting, using hovering platforms, allowing the user to only turn at like 22.5 degree angles rather than free turning.

farisr

I play FPS games all the time without any problems. Half-Life 2 (non-VR) gives me motion sickness. Can't even imagine how bad it'd get in VR.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Ohhhh, they're reducing FOV by darkening the edges, not by changing the projection. Here I was thinking they were zooming in during turns, like some games do with sprinting. That would've been nasty.

Seems like it could be helpful. I'd want to try it with and without so I could compare the impact.

iceatcs

The exact same thing happened to me. Half life 2 on the dk1 gave me motion sickness. I had never been motion sick until then

Same, never have motion sickness in my life until then. The first time it was fucking weird tummy upset like being punched on your balls..

majik13

Been thinking of a simliar idea kinda related recently. That I could see modern big budget games and their game designs being ported to VR, by just keeping the FOV limited, like for games with a lot of camera movement, thatd normaly be uncomfortable in VR Like FPS, and action games. So youd get the benifit of more immersion, head tracking camera control, and in stereo. But all within a more limited "screen" FOV. So you dont get that quesy peripheral eye strain from fast cam movements. Was gonna make a topic asking why this wasny done yet or if it has and didn't work.
?

Anyways this seems even better. I Hadn't conidered making the limited FOV dynamic. That makes great sense.

Ohhhh, they're reducing FOV by darkening the edges, not by changing the projection. Here I was thinking they were zooming in during turns, like some games do with sprinting. That would've been nasty.

Heh, I thought the same thing when I saw the thread title. It made no sense to me until I actually read the OP.

I hope you can turn this kind of thing off, if it becomes common. I'm lucky in that I never get motion sick, even from VR when I tried it with Mirror's Edge.

I think applying this technique to HL2 or any fps could potentially make them work.

Wouldn't help. What makes HL2 and other FPS-games suck so much in VR is that we've been trained for many years to accept absurdly exaggerated movement in these games. Your character accelerates from a standstill to the speed of a moving car in a fraction of a second, and can instantly change direction, including running sideways at speed (try doing that in real life). This is what makes you sick in these games, because the moment you try them in VR you realize just how ridiculous they are, and your brain simply refuses to accept it.

Ziffles

Wow, so it's kind of "tunnel vision" simulation, and it has a positive effect? I'd have thought it would do the opposite.

Man the things devs are coming up with is amazing.

majik13

Wouldn't help. What makes HL2 and other FPS-games suck so much in VR is that we've been trained for many years to accept absurdly exaggerated movement in these games. Your character accelerates from a standstill to the speed of a moving car in a fraction of a second, and can instantly change direction, including running sideways at speed (try doing that in real life). This is what makes you sick in these games, because the moment you try them in VR you realize just how ridiculous they are, and your brain simply refuses to accept it.

Maybe for some, in my case, Ive played Doom VR as well as many other games on Gear VR, and the only straining thing was turning digitally with a controller, caused by the fast unnatural movement in the pheripheral. Accelerating/ deaccellerating forward backward, sideways didnt cause much if any issue for me. Issues only popped up with fast moving visuals in the pheripheral from turning/spinning with a thumbstick. Which this idea could essetially remove that portion of the image.

I havent tried HL2 VR, so perhaps that is different.

Uhyve

Yep. Oculus actually has movement design guidelines for developers. It's one of the reasons why alot of people say that games need to be designed for VR in order for them to be good experiences (though honestly, I can even handle HL2 these days).

Top Bottom