• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wario Land Shake it! (needs a new title on the Wii U)

TI82

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

I was watching the latest "Did You Know Gaming" about Wario. And it really got me wanting to play Shake It!! again. I remembered liking the game when it came out, but couldn't remember much more since it's been a while. Went to Gamestop and it was only $10, not bad at all for an older Nintendo title.

Anyways, the game is really excellent! Easily the best looking Wii title up there with Punchout!! for me, great hand drawn aesthetics and classic fun gameplay. The controls are a bit iffy just because of the system, but that's where a Wii U version could make it better. By focusing more on traditional controls with a bigger DPad it could be so good.

Maybe it's too late for new titles on the Wii U given the NX approaching over the horizon, but I'd definitely be on board for this one. Or even a new portable title (as long as it's not like Master of Disguise)! My only concern would be that GoodFeel would try and make yet another Yarn game of him, which would be awful.

Anyways, screenshots below to jog your memory:

tumblr_m295jjf9tb1qb1m9to1_500.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I have this. Didn't really touch it yet, tbh.

The animation was great! Felt like I really was playing a cartoon on my Wii.

We definitely need a new Wario Land game.

Heck, there are so many Nintendo IP I want to see come back. Hopefully the floodgates are opened with the NX.

TI82

Banned
I have this. Didn't really touch it yet, tbh.

The animation was great! Felt like I really was playing a cartoon on my Wii.

Yeah, apparently every frame of animation was actually a hand drawn thing rasterized onto the wii. Amazing!

Davey Cakes

The art style and animation are wonderful. Shame about forced 4:3.

I liked the soundtrack a lot, save the world map theme.

Never got 100% though. Unlike Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wario Land became a bit too tedious. That said, overall it is a game that benefits greatly from going for all the collectibles and challenges. All about getting the most out of the level design.

TI82

Banned

I liked the soundtrack a lot, save the world map theme.

Never got 100% though. Unlike Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wario Land became a bit too tedious. That said, overall it is a game that benefits greatly from going for all the collectibles and challenges. All about getting the most out of the level design.

To me its not that it gets tedious but holding the wii remote on the side is just not comfortable. It's a game that would do so much better even with a re release on 3ds or wii u

@MUWANdo

Banned
I love the art style but I think it's a total mismatch for Wario--his games actually benefit from being crude and ugly, so it's weird that they bestowed all this lavish animation upon him and not a traditional Mario game or something else.

Malus

The gameplay just didn't appeal to me for whatever reason. Good Feel's work on Kirby/Yoshi showed improvement in that area imo. It just felt...smoother somehow.

Secret Owl

Neo Member
What we really need is an actual Wario Land 5 from the team that made Wario Land 1-4, the WarioWare games, and the Rhythm Heaven games. (They used to be a part of R&D1, which has recently been combined with EAD.)

284393-Simon%20Wario%20Land%20Small.jpg

[D-Pad Studio's mock-up "Wario Land 5" proposal/fan art]

Shake It!! was serviceable, but a really far cry from the genius design of the original Wario Land games. The art was great, but that was it's best feature. Past that it's like a decent, but bare-bones, fan-made expansion of Wario Land 4.

El Odio

Banned
I managed to snag a copy of this last summer and played through the whole thing. I thought it was an absolutely great platformer as a whole though using the wiimote tilt for cannons never seemed to work well for me and a few of the challenges were down right brutal. Would definitely be there day one if a solid followup was ever to get made.

GamerJM

Banned
It's a good game but it's also probably the worst Good-Feel game of the three. Epic Yarn and Wooly World feel like a better refinement of the type of collectathon type of gameplay that they started with here.

The art is drop-dead gorgeous too.

TI82

Banned
What we really need is an actual Wario Land 5 from the team that made Wario Land 1-4, the WarioWare games, and the Rhythm Heaven games. (They used to be a part of R&D1, which has recently been combined with EAD.)

Shake It!! was serviceable, but a really far cry from the genius design of the original Wario Land games. The art was great, but that was it's best feature. Past that it's like a decent, but bare bones, fan-made expansion of Wario Land 4.

A new HD power up based Wario Land ID be all over

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I also want another game like Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins where Wario is a villain again.

He was really an evil Mario in that. Scary castle and everything. Then he just became Gordon Gecko.

fernoca

If they decide to experiment with visuals, since it's Wario they should combine paper,clay,yarn and handrawn. :p

But is too late for Wii U.

jholmes

Really solid game, really fun. I wish the challenges weren't such a chore, generally they're not fun which sucks because levels are locked behind them. That's really my only knock on this game, totally underrated.

OK yeah that too, that's BS.

Anarky

Banned

Shake It!! was serviceable, but a really far cry from the genius design of the original Wario Land games. The art was great, but that was it's best feature. Past that it's like a decent, but bare-bones, fan-made expansion of Wario Land 4.

Damn that mockup is fucking gorgeous.

Richie

Love seeing ya so positive, TI82! Yeah this game is a wonderful gem. Among the praises already mentioned, it re-introduced Captain Syrup after not appearing since Wario Land 2. She plays the Fujiko to Wario's Lupin, I loved what they did with her in this game. Here's hoping we see more of she matching wits with the garlic eater in the NX.

Also, that ending...
where Wario holds the princess for a second, only to toss her out of the way so he can reach the treasure...
if that isn't the best summary of the character out there, I don't know what is.

TI82

Banned
Love seeing ya so positive, TI82! Yeah this game is a wonderful gem. Among the praises already mentioned, it re-introduced Captain Syrup after not appearing since Wario Land 2. She plays the Fujiko to Wario's Lupin, I loved what they did with her in this game. Here's hoping we see more of she matching wits with the garlic eater in the NX.

Also, that ending...
where Wario holds the princess for a second, only to toss her out of the way so he can reach the treasure...
if that isn't the best summary of the character out there, I don't know what is.

Yep, trying to post more about games I do enjoy and less about one's I didn't like. Also giving games I didn't like another shot. Like tropic freeze which I am really enjoying this time around!

Anyways, yes. This wario feels like the perfect representation of him, imo. Even in the beginning he doesn't give a shit about the quest until the magic coins are revealed lol. Then he jumps right in!

Top Bottom