• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony closes Evolution Studios (Motorstorm, Driveclub)

amar212

I hope not.

Best wishes to Rushy and his great guys!

EDIT: Evolution, thank you for everything that made Driveclub one of the best racers of past 15 years. Hoping for your private and personal best!

What do you mean by shuttered? :(

Edit: Seriously though, thank you Evolution for supporting Driveclub and genuinely making it one of the best racing games ever. You guys raised the stakes and boundaries, and the last few updates were amazing.

Thank you, Evolution for your existence. Thank you for Motorstorm as well. It made me fall in love with racing games again.

Rushy, post if you're OK please :(

This is so sad. Driveclub had a shaky launch, but it evolved into something great. And now my wishes for a PS4 Motorstorm are all but gone

:( :( :(

Who is Ben Nichols? Is here a reliable source for industry news?

edit: I guess he is. RIP. Not surprising given how DriveClub languished for so long. I will remember their Motorstorm glory days.

Hanmik

not a rumor
Evolution Studios, the developer behind franchises like World Rally Championship and MotorStorm, has been shut down by Sony, we've just learned. The company's most recent DriveClub was a troubled project for the studio and Sony, having seen delays and online problems - 55 people had been cut from Evolution just one year ago. Now, Sony has made the tough decision to make the rest of the Evolution staff redundant.

In the complete statement, which you can read below, Sony said it would try to reallocate some of the Evolution team to other studios, but the company's aware that it may also lose some serious talent.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-03-22-sony-confirms-closure-of-evolution-studio

What? But they said the game sold well...
I would prefer them working on something else than Driveclub.
I hope it's not true :(

Edit: well it's true..

I really hope not. I thought Driveclub sucked but Motorstorm and Pacific Rift were phenomenal games and these guys really had some serious talent.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
No way. What about DCVR? This cannot be.

ps3ud0

Wow - hope this isnt true :(

And it is...Hmm feels like the start of a snowball effect for me and console gaming. Good luck to all at ex-Evo...

ps3ud0 8)

That's sad for all involved if true, although they're talented folks and I'm sure they'll find work elsewhere.

Although I am surprised it's taken this long, I expected it some time ago. I think the DLC is what has kept the studio alive, but it looks like there will be no DC2, but worse still, no Motorstorm sequel.

DC ended up being a solid game in the end though, although it took a year's delay and another year of DLC to get it to that point - which isn't a good showing for a racing game.

Man, i hope not.

I mean they make my favorite racing games on the market right now with Motorstorm and now, Driveclub. Please give these guys a job so they can make another top notch arcade racer !!

Good luck to Rushy and his crew !!

Edit: Damn it's official... Sad face...

RK128

Common :(.

They are a great studio so seeing them get shut down would be a damn shame. Really hope this is just a rumor.

dugdug

Banned
Unbelievable. They have been absolutely crushing it with some of the best post-release support I've seen for a game.

Where possible we will try to reallocate people onto other projects. If appropriate opportunities are not possible within the company, we will assist staff in any way we can, including speaking with local employers and with other development companies.

How true is this?

Top Bottom