• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: Dark Souls III (Xbox One vs. PS4)

BeeDog

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-dark-souls-3-face-off

Some choice quotes:

Despite this extra upscale, Xbox One still presents Lothric in a flattering light. In play, the one truly perceptible shortfall of its native 900p image is that pixel crawl flares up more aggressively across foliage - though otherwise its visuals hold up very well. Bizarrely, all HUD elements on Xbox One (such as menus and health bars) are also rendered at 900p. Rather than setting these 2D elements to display at 1080p over gameplay - a tactic used in most sub-native titles - they're instead put through the same scaling process. As a result we get a light blur to item illustrations, one that shows up next to PS4's, and it's a shame given there is a commonly practiced workaround here.

Visually it's a clear-cut case in favour of PS4, and we'd have hoped Xbox One's graphical sacrifices might translate to a matching level of performance. As we've already seen in isolation, Xbox One is capped at 30fps with v-sync, but has dips to the mid-20s around volumetric fog effects of its opening scene, and also bosses making use of From Software's shader effects. The results aren't always smooth, but for the majority of play (at least from what we've tested to date) the game holds at 30fps.

PS4 is the preferred pick for several reasons. From Software makes a number of visual concessions on Xbox One, dropping its native resolution to 900p, and also edging down shadow and motion blur quality. None of these cuts dampen the quality of the experience to any radical degree, and it's perfectly enjoyable on Xbox One as-is. However, it's undeniable PS4 brings out the best in From Software's latest project, presenting its world at a clearer 1080p, and with a firmer grasp on its 30fps target to boot.

EDIT: Also worth pointing out...

In such a sprawling game, we can't rule out another Blight Town situation popping up down the line - an area infamous for its 10fps drops on last-gen. However, the prospects after five hours of playing Dark Souls 3 are very positive, and we'll be sure to update this piece if anything particularly egregious crops up. As a comparison point between PS4 and Xbox One though, the division is clear, and sets a precedent for how frame-rates in rest of the game will bear out.

For Digital Foundry to say the PS4 version is the 'clear' choice, read: performance on XB1 must be horrendous.

Cos it takes a hell of a lot for them to suggest one console version is clearly better than the other even when the resolution is 900p v 1080p and ignoring framerate and everything else.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's not stable on either of the consoles. Saw some streams with some ugly slowdowns on the PS4 version.
That's fine however,

PS4 is the preferred pick for several reasons. From Software makes a number of visual concessions on Xbox One, dropping its native resolution to 900p, and also edging down shadow and motion blur quality. None of these cuts dampen the quality of the experience to any radical degree, and it's perfectly enjoyable on Xbox One as-is. However, it's undeniable PS4 brings out the best in From Software's latest project, presenting its world at a clearer 1080p, and with a firmer grasp on its 30fps target to boot.

However, PS4 offers a performance advantage too. Almost every area prone to a 25fps drop on Xbox One instead runs at the intended 30fps on PS4. The stress-point which catches Sony's machine off-guard is on the approach to the Firelink shrine, the complexity of which forces a dip to 28fps (while Xbox One falls even lower). It translates to a broadly smoother experience on PS4.

Nice to see the ps4 is solid even with the crappy frame pacing on both systems.

Edit:
Only for 5hours in it seems, hopefully the rest of the game keeps up.

Durante

I wonder how far into the game they got if the fire link shrine approach is the area with the lowest performance which they encountered.

Given the res difference this has to be one of the closest looking in the IQ department. Embarrassing neither of these are 60FPS though.

G_Berry

Banned
For Digital Foundry to say the PS4 version is the 'clear' choice, read: performance on XB1 must be horrendous.

Cos it takes a hell of a lot for them to suggest one console version is clearly better than the other even when the resolution is 900p v 1080p and ignoring framerate and everything else.
The Xbox version is perfectly fine. Anyone on the fence, relax.

KKRT00

I wonder how far into the game they got if the fire link shrine approach is the area with the lowest performance which they encountered.

"In such a sprawling game, we can't rule out another Blight Town situation popping up down the line - an area infamous for its 10fps drops on last-gen. However, the prospects after five hours of playing Dark Souls 3 are very positive, and we'll be sure to update this piece if anything particularly egregious crops up."

No info where in particular, but they will update if they discover something troubling further down the line.
In the video they said that because game is still 3 weeks from release in West, they dont want to spoil it with more footage.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I'm thinking this too.

Durante

No info where in particular, but they will update if they discover something troubling further down the line.
In the video they said that because game is still 3 weeks from release in West, they dont want to spoil it with more footage.
Well, that, and if they have the same press thing I have then they aren't allowed to either :p
(Which I think is a very good thing FWIW)

RexNovis

Banned
Wow even the frame pacing issue is considerably worse on XB1 going by their analysis video. Yeesh.

I mean yea neither is locked or anything but the XB1 frame rate and frame pacing issues are way worse going by that video.

Grassy

I own both versions, and the Xbone version is far from 'horrendous'. The resolution difference is of course noticeable, and I've already mentioned the performance on XBone doesn't match the PS4 version, but it's far from horrendous.

I'd also like to know what version DF tested on each system, because the NA/EU Xbone version is still at '1.00', while the JP PS4 version is patched to '1.01' which contains performance fixes supposedly.

Nameless

Yet another example of why it's wise to be weary of trusting GAF about performance issues as people here tend to be super-anal about that stuff. A few instances of slowdown and the entire game gets branded as a mess, if not unplayable.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Really looking forward to DS3, will play on PS4. Regarding the framepace issues, it's a shame it's not fixed by now. It must be something broken in the game engine right?

Really looking forward to DS3, will play on PS4. Regarding the framepace issues, it's a shame it's not fixed by now. It must be something broken in the game engine right?

Must be, it is still present in Bloodborne one year later, and this uses the same engine.

I just hope the frame pacing isn't present on PC.

amdb00mer

This was expected as Dark Souls 3 uses the PS4 Bloodborne engine. Hopefully From Software's patch will help the X1.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I own both versions, and the Xbone version is far from 'horrendous'. The resolution difference is of course noticeable, and I've already mentioned the performance on XBone doesn't match the PS4 version, but it's far from horrendous.

I'd also like to know what version DF tested on each system, because the NA/EU Xbone version is still at '1.00', while the JP PS4 version is patched to '1.01' which contains performance fixes supposedly.
Agreed on the performance. We started with Xbox One and had a decent experience there, though PS4 definitely irons out the kinks.

We played the JP PS4 and Xbox One versions - patched to 1.01.

thelastword

Banned
Constant drops to mid 20's on the XB1 during play, with dips to as low as 22fps as per the video. That pixel crawl on foliage is awful on the XB1 version too, looks very grainy in comparison to the PS4 version. That can't be just the rez differences can it?...........

I'm 12hrs into the game(PS4) and so far no area has had a sustained low fps period like blight town.

Phew. Hope it stays that way for most of the areas. Also, any framepacing worries since it's the BB engine? Will be getting this on PS4 initially and double dip on PC during the summer.

This is what I was going to say. It's rare that they offer such a strong verdict for one console over the other.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Must be, it is still present in Bloodborne one year later, and this uses the same engine.

I just hope the frame pacing isn't present on PC.

Hopefully they fix this on all plattforms, if From figures out whats wrong.
But I was not really bothered with Bloodbornes performance, it was mainly good IMO. And I'm quite sensitive noticing graphical hiccups.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I feel some are missing this :

and just focusing on one word.

When was the last time it was a clear choice that the PS4 was the better version?

This is what I was going to say. It's rare that they offer such a strong verdict for one console over the other.

This is what some of us are saying... If horrendous is too strong a word..how about worse.

Hopefully they fix this on all plattforms, if From figures out whats wrong.
But I was not really bothered with Bloodbornes performance, it was mainly good IMO. And I'm quite sensitive noticing graphical hiccups.

Yeah, I didn't find it to be a problem myself in Bloodborne, I'm just hoping that having the framerate at 60fps might negate this issue on PC? We'll find out soon enough.

I'm about 16-17 hours into the game on Xbox One. Sometimes the frames can dip and it can be quite noticeable. However, nothing has hindered my experience of the game. These comments about performance being horrendous is just pure bullshit. It plays brilliantly and looks great.

omonimo

Banned
Not the CPU :D

In any case, From always has been flakey with optimization so no surprise even the PS4 can't handle a stable 30
To be fair performance it's quite stable on ps4. Never happened with them on console in the past generation. The real problem it's the stupid frame pacing issue. It's out of my mind how they haven't yet fixed this idiocy.

Fat4all

Banned
You have people saying "because of the words 'clear choice' you'll have people calling it horrendous on Xbox" and because of that statement you already have people saying "it's being called horrendous" when no ones really called it horrendous yet.

It's like a Klein bottle or sommit.

Top Bottom