• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There appears to be a problem with IOS 9.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphahawk

Various tech sites are reporting that there is some kind of trouble regarding links not working and the web just hanging. I figured that since probably half the board owns an iPhone it might be worth pointing out.

It's all very confusing and different sites at this point will tell you different things which is one reason I don't really want to link to any specific site here.

Just a heads up, if you haven't upgraded your phone you probably should wait until Apple gets everything sorted out.

leroidys

I couldn't even upgrade due to some "you're not connected to the internet" bullshit message. Looks like I was one of the fortunate ones.

okno

This is awfully vague. I've been on 9.3 on a 6s+ for I don't know two weeks? No issues at all.

Like, none. It's amazing.

ZeroX03

Banned
I've seen this issue reported, but can't say I've seen it happen at all.

100% fuck the copy and paste bug tho

I couldn't even upgrade due to some "you're not connected to the internet" bullshit message. Looks like I was one of the fortunate ones.

Been getting the same message on my 5C. But it's a work phone, so oh well. Don't really care about it like I would a personal phone.

Apple is working on a fix for iOS bug that causes tapping links to crash iPhones

Update: Apple says it’s working on a software fix for the issue:

We are aware of this issue, and we will release a fix in a software update soon.

It looks like this issue is related to Universal Links. With iOS 9, Apple introduced Universal Links, a brand new way to handle links with native apps. App developers, such as YouTube, can register domain names to open web links directly into an app, bypassing Safari.

That’s why when you click on a youtube.com/somethingsomething link, iOS opens the YouTube app instead of loading a web page in Safari. This is a nifty feature, except when app developers abuse it.

Sergey Roshchin published a video demonstrating today’s bug. His iPad is working fine. But then, he installs the Booking.com app, and Safari becomes unusable. When he clicks on a link, it hangs, and then crashes.

Booking.com associates its app with all sorts of domains — too many domains to be precise. With 2.4MB worth of domain-name-to-deep-link entries, Safari and other apps crash when iOS checks links against its Universal Link database because this database is too big. A tipster also told me that the Voyages-SNCF app also generates crashes on iOS 9.3. Update: Voyages-SNCF doesn’t have universal links, so the app shouldn’t cause any issue.

Sounds like you should be ok if you don't have the Booking.com app installed.

Great and I just updated mine and the misses old iPhone5s this morning. At least we're now using S7s instead. Post Jobs Apple quality is degrading with every release; OS or hardware.

Cowlick

Banned
5S here. Safari and Chrome both affected. I can't tap on links or hold to open links in a new tab, the browser just hangs, requiring a force-quit. The only functional browser I have is within the Google app.

First noticed issues just the other day, having had the update installed hassle-free since its release. Not sure what triggered the problem, but it didn't happen immediately.

nynt9

I don't have an issue, but I've seen sites report it. A fix is supposed to be coming in the next few days.

PreFire

Thankfully I haven't noticed it on any of my apple devices.. But my iPad 3 gets slower every upgrade. It's like they want you to buy a newer device

I kept putting it off because I didn't have the patience to upgrade it when it asked. When I finally agreed to let it upgrade overnight I read a report about it. I was able to cancel the pending upgrade before midnight. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. For now I keep cancelling the upgrade notices.

Fusebox

Banned
I've been having an issue with links just opening as about:blank in Safari for longer than 9.3 has been out.

This is devastating. I've said it for years now, but Apple is finished.

I wouldn't brag about saying something is gonna happen for years without it having happened yet.

This has happened quite a few times on my iPad Air 2. Only have had the Air 2 for about one week now. Love it to bits but I hope this gets fixed.

Anion

Thankfully I haven't noticed it on any of my apple devices.. But my iPad 3 gets slower every upgrade. It's like they want you to buy a newer device
Do a clean refresh and start from scratch. Just sign in to iCloud and all that material will still upload, just you'll have do add the apps again and tweak the settings (like add battery percentages and the like) and it will be really fast again

Also every big update brings new features that could use more resources, so it's kinda a win-lose thing

No problems since updating last Monday to 9.3 (6S+) but my friend that is still on 9.2 on his 5S is suffering from the bug. My cousin's husband who's also on 9.2 (he has a iPhone 6) is also affected as well.

I still haven't updated my own 5S or my old iPad 3, so I don't know if either are affected right now since I haven't tried links on them in a long while.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
My iPhone 6 got it. On Sunday it suddenly happened. Did not install any new apps or change any settings and I had been on 9.3 since release.
Pretty annoying. I even tried a reset. Did not help..
Oh and deleting the bookings.com app does nothing.
Fiancée with an iPhone 5 on 9.3 and the iPads are all fine.

H13

ye, got some problems with twitch, the chat is not responding after i update.. might be on the twitch side problem though..

Burai

shitonmychest57
It's been happening long before 9.3 and seemingly at random. My girlfriend's iPad 4 suddenly started doing it last week even though she's been on 9.2.1 since January. Some people have been suffering since January: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7442924?start=0&tstart=0

Oh, and before people start thinking its part of some "planned obsolescence" thing, it's affecting iPad Air 2s and iPhone 6S's too.

AppleCare Senior Advisor here.

So basically there have been two major issues with 9.3 that have made this past week especially trying.

One is this hyperlink issue - it's actually not very widespread, because it's only affecting people who have downloaded very specific apps - most notably, Booking.com's app and Wikipedia's app in some cases (before this week, I didn't even know there was a Wikipedia app). There's probably a few more apps that cause the issue, but they're few and far between.

What these sorts of apps are doing is adding links a certain new kind of database in iOS 9 that allow links to open an installed app instead of a URL through the browser. The problem is that some developers (and this is more on Apple than the developers for even allowing this sort of thing to happen) are adding so many links (think tens of thousands of internal links to every URL imaginable within booking.com's site or Wikipedia's site) to this database that this database explodes and renders most links across all apps in iOS unusable. Uninstalling the app won't fix it, resetting settings won't fix it, not even a restore from a backup will fix it since that will actually bring back the problem. Once that database falls apart, the damage is done and only a complete erase and setting up the phone as new will fix it (or the eventual update to 9.3 as it stands). This is pretty devastating, but it turns out not that many people (comparatively) have these affected apps, so it's not driving overwhelming traffic to Apple Support.

The big thing that 9.3 broke has been old people. 9.3 essentially requires / required people to put in both their Apple ID and iCloud Password upon installing it. Reddit, Neogaf, and Tech Blogs don't even have this issue on their radar because none of the people who are in these categories are the sort to forget their passwords and especially aren't the sort to forget their Apple IDs. The process of helping someone reset a password is straightforward enough, but if you're a part of a certain generation and have half a dozen Apple IDs created because you create an Apple ID every time you get a new iDevice because you forgot you even had an Apple ID and cannot be bothered to try and remember the old one before setting up a new Apple ID for your new device, then you're going to get fucked over when your old iPad 2 installs 9.3 and suddenly you have to try and remember what email address and password you conjured up way back when.

Future

No booking app but my phone was having there issue when I first installed. Safari constantly crashing when opening links.

Somehow it fixed itself. Maybe due to deleting an app or two

My wife's got this problem. She's on a 6. Safari freezes - can't scroll, can't click links. Had to install another browser for her yesterday, as a temporary measure. It's annoying. I'm on a 6s and it hasn't happened to me.

UGH just saw about booking.com. She's got that app. Great. So we need to clean boot? Or wait for a patch.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
AppleCare Senior Advisor here.

So basically there have been two major issues with 9.3 that have made this past week especially trying.

One is this hyperlink issue - it's actually not very widespread, because it's only affecting people who have downloaded very specific apps - most notably, Booking.com's app and Wikipedia's app in some cases (before this week, I didn't even know there was a Wikipedia app). There's probably a few more apps that cause the issue, but they're few and far between.

fml I had wikipedia AND booking.com installed :D
eh. fuck it I'll make a clean install. Wanted to do it anyway when I get my iphone SE on friday/next week.

I'm still on ios 8.4 because of shit like this. I like my awesome iphone 6 battery life and don't need your shiny new apps/updates that I don't use, thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom