• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF’s Summer Box Office Prediction Game! - 2016 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

Introduction

Well, it’s almost May, meaning it’s almost time for the summer movie season. As I've been doing for the past year, it means another box office prediction game. Hopefully we get more people joining in this time than the aborted Spring game. We're returning to the extended pool option of last summer because, let's face it, there are a lot more wild cards in summer than during the rest of the year. Here we go!

General rules: Movies releasing from May to August eligible except when mentioned otherwise. However, all questions will be scored on September 5th, so keep that in mind when putting together your predictions. Let move onto the first question!

A. Top 15 of the Summer Domestically

This is pretty simple. Rank the top 15 of the summer in order. All questions will be scored on September 5th, so keep that in mind when putting together your predictions. Furthermore, put two back-up movies in the case of major movies moving last minute. I’m looking at you, G.I. Joe 2! If a movie moves up though, unfortunately you’re screwed. This has happened in the past with Lucy in particular. There’s just no way to account for it sadly. Here’s an example of what a perfect score from last year would’ve looked like.

1. Jurassic World - 643M
2. Avengers: Age of Ultron - 458M
3. Inside Out - 345M
4. Minions - 325M
5. Pitch Perfect 2 - 184M
6. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - 170M
7. Ant-Man 169M
8. San Andreas - 154M
9. Mad Max: Fury Road - 153M
10. Straight Outta Compton - 134M
11. Spy -110M
12. Trainwreck - 105M
13. Tomorrowland - 93M
14. Terminator: Genisys - 89M
15. Ted 2 - 81M

16. Pixels - 71M
17. Magic Mike XXL - 66M

Scoring works like this: Every film in the top 15 in any order you get right, you get 15 points. For every film in the correct spot, you get 10 additional points. However, you lose 10 points if the film is not the top 15. For the gross you predict, every film you call within 20M, you get 10 points. If you call it within 30M, you get 5 points. If you miss it by 30-40M, you don’t lose points. If you miss it by 40M to 60M, you lose 5 points. For every 20M you miss after the first 60M, you lose 1 point per 20M in gross. Even if you miss it by 61M, you still lose a point. If you call a film within 5M, you get a bonus of 20 points; and if you call it within 2M, you get a bonus of 25 points.

If you call a film to hit the top 15 and it misses, you lose the 10 points; you will also lose additional points if the gross is off by the allotted 40M. However, if you call a film incorrectly in the top 15, but are still within 40M, you don’t get the additional points, but you will only lose 10 points total.

Bonus points: If you call the top three positions right, in order, regardless of the gross, you will get a 75 point bonus. If you are able to call the top four positions right, in order, regardless of the gross, you will get a 150 point bonus. If you can call the top five positions right, in order, regardless of gross, you will get a 300 point bonus. If you call 10 right, in order, regardless of gross, you will get a 750 point bonus. If you can call 12 right in order, you get 1000 bonus points. If you can call all 15 right, in order, you will get a 2000 point bonus. If you call spots 2-4 correctly, regardless of order, you will get a 150 point bonus (so if last year, I had Maleficent as #4, X-Men as #2, and Transformers as #3, I’d still get the bonus). If you call spots 5-7 correctly, you get a 200 point bonus. If you call 10-11 of the 15 films correctly, regardless of the order, you get a 250 point bonus. If you call 12 of the top 15 correctly, regardless of order, you get a 300 point bonus. If you can call 13 films correctly, regardless of the order and you will get a 400 point bonus. If you call 14 films correctly, regardless of the order, you get a 600 point bonus. If you call all 15 correctly, regardless of order, you get a 1000 point bonus. These bonus points are near impossible to get though, because accuracy is hard.

B. Top 10 of the Summer Worldwide

In this one, don’t worry about gross; international numbers are hard to predict. These are all about the order. Once again, you need two for back-up in case of studios moving the films. For movies opening before May 1 worldwide (cough Avengers cough), all the money will still be counted even if it’s made before May 1. Here’s an example of what a perfect score from last year could’ve looked like.

1. Jurassic World
2. Avengers: Age of Ultron
3. Minions
4. Inside Out
5. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation
6. San Andreas
7 .Terminator: Genisys
8. Mad Max: Fury Road
9. Ant-Man
10. Pitch Perfect 2

11. Pixels
12. Spy

Every film you call in the top 10 correct, you get 15 points. If you call the top 3 spots in order, you get a bonus of 100. If you can call the top 5 in order you will get a 250 point bonus. If you can call between the top 8 in order, a bonus of 400 and if you can call the top 10 WW films in order you will get a bonus of 750 points.

C. Top 5 Domestic Opening Weekends of the Summer

Gross once again matters, but so does the order. Only 3-day weekends are counted; if the movie opens on a Wednesday, the Friday-Saturday-Sunday gross is what counts as the opening weekend. Night-before-previews are included on Friday openers, but not with movies that open earlier than Friday. You know the rule about back-ups by now, and here’s your example:

1. Jurassic World - 209M
2. Avengers: Age of Ultron - 191M
3. Minions - 116M
4. Inside Out - 90M
5. Pitch Perfect 2 - 69M

6. Straight Outta Compton - 60M
7. Ant-Man - 57M

For every film you call correctly in the top five, regardless of order, you will receive 15 points. For every film you call in the exact spot it opens, you will get 25 points. If you are able to call 3 of the 5 correctly, you will receive a 75 point bonus. Call all five correctly, you get a 250 point bonus.

Bonus points: For every film in the top 5, and within 1M, you get 40 points. For every film in the top 5 and within 2.5M, you get 35 points. For every film in the top 5 and within 5M, you get 30 points. For every film in the top 5 and within 10M, you get 25 points. For every film in the top 5 and within 15M, you get 20 points. For every film in the top 5 and within 20M, you get 15 points. For every film in the top 5 and within 30M, you get 10 points.

However, for every film NOT in the top 5 and within 30M, you lose 10 points. For every film NOT in the top 5 and NOT within 30M, you lose 20 points.

D. Top 5 Worst Grossing Films of the Summer

For this question, gross doesn’t matter. However, films released in August are not allowed to put on the ballot. Back-ups as always are needed; if a film is moved to August, a back-up will be used; however, if a film switches from wide to limited, the back-up won’t be used. Here’s your example.

1. Self/Less
2. Dope
3. Aloha
4. The Gallows
5. Paper Towns

6. Entourage
7. Hot Pursuit

For every film that makes the bottom 5 that you call correctly, you will receive 20 points. If you can call 4 of 5 right, you get a 50 bonus. If you call all 5 right, you get a 150 point bonus. There will be no deduction of points for wrong answers.

E. Eligible Films

Here’s a list of all the eligible films for all the questions, with a trailer attached along with genre and release date:

Captain America: Civil War - Action/Adventure - 5/6
The Darkness - Horror - 5/13
Kidnap - Thriller - 5/13
Money Monster - Drama/Thriller - 5/13
The Angry Birds Movie - Animation - 5/20
Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising - Comedy - 5/20
The Nice Guys - Thriller - 5/20
Alice Through the Looking Glass - Family Adventure - 5/27
X-Men: Apocalypse - Action/Adventure - 5/27
The Bye Bye Man - Horror Thriller - 6/3
Me Before You - Romance - 6/3
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping - Comedy - 6/3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - Action/Adventure - 6/3
The Conjuring 2 - Horror - 6/10
Now You See Me 2 - Thriller - 6/10
Warcraft - Fantasy - 6/10
Central Intelligence - Comedy - 6/17
Finding Dory - Animation - 6/17
Free State of Jones - Historical Drama - 6/24
Independence Day: Resurgence - Sci-Fi Adventure - 6/24
The Shallows - Horror - 6/24
The BFG - Adventure - 7/1
The Legend of Tarzan - Action/Adventure - 7/1
The Purge: Election Year - Thriller - 7/1
Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates - Comedy - 7/8
The Secret Life of Pets - Animation - 7/8
Ghostbusters - Horror Comedy - 7/15
The Infiltrator - Drama/Thriller - 7/15
Ice Age: Collision Course - Animation - 7/22
Lights Out - Horror - 7/22
Star Trek Beyond - Sci-Fi Adventure - 7/22
Bad Moms - Comedy - 7/29
Jason Bourne - Action - 7/29
The Founder - Drama - 8/5
Nine Lives - Comedy - 8/5
Suicide Squad - Action/Adventure - 8/5
Ben-Hur - Historical Epic - 8/12
Pete's Dragon - Family - 8/12
Sausage Party - Animation - 8/12
Spectral - Action Thriller - 8/12
Kubo and the Two Strings - Animation - 8/19
The Space Between Us - Sci-Fi Adventure - 8/19
War Dogs - Comedy/Drama - 8/19
Don't Breathe - Horror Thriller - 8/26
Hands of Stone - Drama - 8/26
Mechanic: Resurrection - Action - 8/26

F. FAQ

I’ll add some frequently asked questions here once you guys ask me questions. Maybe we won’t even have to use it! I’ll start it out though.

Q: When do I need my answers in by?
A: By May 5, 8PM EST as that’s when the first showings of Captain America: Civil War begin in the United States.

G. Conclusion

I think this’ll be an enjoyable thread much like the similar games in the past year, and please feel free to discuss others’ predicts and discuss them. This will be fun for some crow when the summer’s over. I’ll put my predicts up after we get five people in this game, in a separate post from here. Let’s have some fun, this summer!

Top Domestic Films
1.Civil War
2. Finding Dory
3. X-Men Apocalypse
4. Suicide Squad
5. Independence Day Resurgence
6. Alice though the looking glass
7. TMNT Out of the Shadows
8. Warcraft
9. Star Trek Beyond
10.The Angry Birds Movie
11. The Conjuring 2
12. Ghostbusters
13. Neighbors 2
14. Jason Borne
15. Now You See Me 2

Top Opening Weekend
1. Civil War
2. Finding Dory
3. X-Men Apocalypse
4. Suicide Squad

Top WW Gross
1. Civil War
2. Finding Dory
3. X-Men Apocalypse
4. Alice Through the Looking Glass

This is crazy hard, specially the top 15. Might update some gross predictions.

Thewonandonly

Domestic:

1. Finding dory: 850 million
2.captain America: 800 million
3.suiced squad: 650 million
4. X-men: 600 million
5.Sausage party: 550 million
6. Conjuring 2: 500 million
7. Angry bird: 480 million
8.neighbors 2: 470 million
9. Alice : 450 million
10. Warcraft 430 million

Opening:

1. Captain America: 250 million
2. Finding dory: 200 million
3. Suicide squad: 100 million
4. Xmen: 80 million
5. Sausage party: 70 million

Worldwide:

1. Finding dory: 1.5 billion
2. Captain America: 1.2 billion
3. X-men: 800 million
4. Warcraft: 750 million
5. Suicide squad: 730 million

Toothless

There's a few issues with your formatting to the people above, but I'll just post mine so it makes sense overall.

A. Top 15 of the Summer Domestically

1. Captain America: Civil War - 446M
2. Finding Dory - 418M
3. Suicide Squad - 318M
4. The Secret Life of Pets - 279M
5. Independence Day: Resurgence – 215M
6. X-Men: Apocalypse - 210M
7. The Angry Birds Movie - 209M
8. Jason Bourne – 204M
9. The BFG - 186M
10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows – 180M
11. Star Trek Beyond - 175M