• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM - Multiplayer Gameplay and Impressions

Mr. Tibbs

Inb4 the "looks like Halo" comments

The developers of Doom's multiplayer have more history with Halo than they do with id. The multiplayer has been outsourced to Certain Affinity who worked on Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Anniversary, Halo 4, and the Master Chief Collection, so seeing that history in Doom is hardly an outrageous claim to make.

The developers of Doom's multiplayer have more history with Halo than they do with id. The multiplayer has been outsourced to Certain Affinity who worked on Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Anniversary, Halo 4, and the Master Chief Collection, so seeing that history in Doom is hardly an outrageous claim to make.

Not to mention, y'know, Doom had gun-toting green armored space marines before the Halo devs had even hit puberty.

Can we talk about the Alpha now? Really liked it. Loving the customisation options so far too. This could be the most entertaining MP FPS for me since Halo 3.

Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

PnCIa

It looks okay, should be faster but its a console game/port.
What bugs me is that the armor design actually does look more like its from Halo than from a Doom game. So yeah, looks like Halo in some aspects.

But that voice :(((

jogu

Hmm, seems playable, might get this even when i suck at fps-games. I always liked the quake/unreal-style over the cod-style games.

Rav3n90

Neo Member
I like that, even if it resembles halo more than a bit. I am a bit skeptic about the melee animations, hope they don't imbalance gameplay.

Everything screams "We want Halo audience!". Ugh.

Explains why. Thanks for the info.

You dont have to tell me this, i know that ;)

But im really happy that Certain Affinity got to do this. Looks like the "Halo" that should have happened after Halo 3.

But this is still way more Doom.

I watched a lot of the Videos now and nobody seems to complain about the Loadouts :)

Everything screams "We want Halo audience!". Ugh.

As a fan of the Classic and proper Halo games (1-3) they got me :)

54-46!

I just find it disappointing, with esports being what it is right now it's sad to see this consolized version of Quake 3 when they could have pushed for the competitive PC crowd.

QL's numbers aren't good, but StarCraft and CS made major comebacks thanks to the feature set they built around the new titles.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Played at Quakecon and in the Alpha, it was fun but didnt have much of a learning curve and it seemed like the skill ceiling was fairly low. I could be wrong considering the limited time and the pre-release nature. However nothing I played made me think I have to buy this.

bee

I just find it disappointing, with esports being what it is right now it's sad to see this consolized version of Quake 3 when they could have pushed for the competitive PC crowd.

that's the correct description of the game not a halo clone, they replaced the skill based strafe jump with double jump :(((

QL's numbers aren't good, but StarCraft and CS made major comebacks thanks to the feature set they built around the new titles.

Not every game has to be esports focused... there is enough already of that crap.

PC exclusive? Man people still hate consoles huh

No worries! It's easy to forget that id is basically a new studio now. After Doom 4 was scrapped and rebooted following Rage's disappointing reception, a lot of people jumped ship. The studio was down to a skeleton crew, which is why the art, multiplayer, snap map, and even id tech are being handled by external studios.

There is a german iD Studio?! Didnt know that. Cool to know. I mean its even a great idea to have a studio just working on the Engine.

54-46!

Not every game has to be esports focused... there is enough already of that crap.
You're telling me there aren't enough console shooters out there? the game's called DOOM and is made by id Software, THE PC FPS developer.

PC exclusive? Man people still hate consoles huh.
This being a console focused FPS automatically means that it will have lower skill ceiling, which isn't all that great if I want to play competitive multiplayer. But yes, I'm "hating" consoles. And who said anything about having it be exclusive? save me your drivel, please.

You're telling me there aren't enough console shooters out there? the game's called DOOM and is made by id Software, THE PC FPS developer.

This being a console focused FPS automatically means that it will have lower skill ceiling, which isn't all that great if I want to play competitive multiplayer. But yes, I'm "hating" consoles. And who said anything about having it be exclusive? save me your drivel, please.

Well I can't wait to play it on my PS4. I apologise the game having a hugely wider audience is upsetting you so much.

alouette

Had a lot of fun with the alpha version. Looking forward to try the beta. Never thought, I could get into a multiplayer shooter again since titanfall, even when this is some kind of a different "genre".

Man if all you care about is "skill" then there is no help, sry.

While you can complain that the game takes no skill, i will enjoy it with my friends, on a console :O

54-46!

Well I can't wait to play it on my PS4. I apologise the game having a hugely wider audience is upsetting you so much.

What are you talking about really? you can't have a wide audience because it's primarily a PC style FPS or because the skill ceiling's higher? the game can still exist on consoles and there are actual matchmaking services these days.

knerl

UT3 for example. Did that have a lower skill ceiling just because it came to consoles?
Playing it on PC will probably raise the skill ceiling. Looks great and having played the closed alpha I know it feels great. Looking forward to the Beta tomorrow.

54-46!

UT3 for example. Did that have a lower skill ceiling just because it came to consoles?
Playing it on PC will probably raise the skill ceiling. Looks great and having played the closed alpha I know it feels great. Looking forward to the Beta tomorrow.

UT3 was not a console focused FPS, it was PC game first and console game second. You know, like Quake 3.

knerl

What are you talking about really? you can't have a wide audience because it's primarily a PC style FPS or because the skill ceiling's higher? the game can still exist on consoles and there are actual matchmaking services these days.

According to you the skill ceiling was automatically lowered because it's being released on consoles as well and that made you complain about it. Even though you don't know that the skill ceiling was lowered at all. Being released on consoles as well means it's reaching a much wider audience than if it would only come to pc. In a sense you're complaining about the game being released for a wider audience. What's a 'PC style FPS' by the way?

54-46!

According to you the skill ceiling was automatically lowered because it's being released on consoles
Not what I said at all, I said that consoles are the primary platform as opposed to PC and that's why.

Even though you don't know that the skill ceiling was lowered at all.
Consoles have inferior controls for FPS and the gameplay mechanics are built around a controller instead of kb/m.

Being released on consoles as well means it's reaching a much wider audience than if it would only come to pc. In a sense you're complaining about the game being released for a wider audience.
I never said that it wouldn't be released for consoles in my scenario, it just wouldn't be the primary platform.

FyreWulff

And Halo 2 . The founder is the multiplayer lead from Halo 2, they did Halo 2's last Xbox DLC as their first contract.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
And Halo 2 . The founder is the multiplayer lead from Halo 2, they did Halo 2's last Xbox DLC as their first contract.

Playing the game it feels more like a sequel to Halo 2 than anything else, although that still is a noticeable amount different than how Doom flows.

friz898

I don't know guys.

I watched that vid and it made me think of Quake 3.

I wasn't in a league, but I did play very hardcore during Q3A's peak. I was definitely the best in my local area, and did very well online, to include 1v1 matches. I took it to the point of running low settings to get 120fps.

With all that being said, this may be my first game (for some reason N64 Goldeneye simply doesn't count!), er first FPS that I play with a controller ... just for the bigger community etc. (I own a PS4).

I tried COD MW2 once on PS3 for about 30 mins, and I returned it on release day. Only was duped into buying it since was active duty Army freshly home from a deployment.

That doesn't look enough like old doom to make me interested

Blah

Why are there numbers coming out of people you shoot this isn't borderlands.

Jito

Banned
Looks even better than the Alpha.

Got the Beta loaded and ready to rock, can't wait.

That doesn't look enough like old doom to make me interested

Blah

Why are there numbers coming out of people you shoot this isn't borderlands.

I assume they've included it to reintroduce a lot of players to the idea of damage being a numbered value and showing how you're chipping away at the opponents health. A lot of players in the alpha didn't even grasp having to collect armor or health at all. Luckily, I think you can turn the numbers off in the settings.

lazygecko

The gameplay speed was slowed down by like 25% or something on consoles. That alone should signify that it wasn't inherently developed for them.

There were plenty of other reasons UT3 didn't catch on. For one the visuals suffering from AAA-itis at the time and becoming overly busy looking did not gel well with what competitive players want.

Only thing that rubs me the wrong way is the movement speed looks gracially slow for an arena game. I realize this is because of consoles you can't have people bunny hopping around but still looks too slow. Besides that it actually looks really fun.

Top Bottom