• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unarmed man shot by police in AZ after sobbing, begging police to not shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/salvadorher...olice-begged-please-dont-shoot-me#.fgoXn3LVXj

“Please don’t shoot me,” Daniel Shaver begged police.

Moments later, an officer shot and killed the 26-year-old Texas man.

The officer, identified as Philip Brailsford of the Mesa, Arizona, Police Department has since been charged with second-degree murder and fired.

In a newly released police report detailing body camera footage of the Jan. 18 shooting, Shaver is described as sobbing and complying with commands as police ordered him to crawl toward them. Officers repeatedly threatened to shoot him if he did not comply.

“Alright, if you make a mistake, another mistake, there is a very severe possibility you are both going to get shot. Do you understand?” one officer is described as telling him.

Shaver replied, telling officers, “No, please don’t shoot me.”

On March 4, the Maricopa County Attorney determined that the shooting was not justified and filed second-degree murder charges against the officer.

Mesa police released the report Tuesday, but have declined to release the video captured on the officer’s body camera.

Officers stood outside one of the rooms on the fifth floor and commanded everyone to come out. After Shaver and a woman exited, they were told to get on the ground, according to the police report.

Shaver was ordered to crawl toward the officers, and the woman who was with him said he appeared to be pleading with police.

After crawling on all fours toward the officers, the man was told to get on his knees. Shaver complied, but then made a motion with his right hand toward his waist, prompting Brailsford to fire his gun five times.

According to the police report, the movement was similar to someone reaching for a weapon on their waist, as well as someone trying to pull up their sagging shorts.

“It appeared his shorts had fallen partially down his legs at that point,” the report read.

This is arguably one of the most terrifying things I've read in a while and why everyone should want to end police as we know it in the US.

Even if you're following their complex instructions, the slightest movement will lead to your execution.

The police who shot at the man is only getting charged with negligent homicide, meaning a 3.5 year prison sentence at maximum. No justice for the family of the victim.

The police had already decided they wanted to murder this man before they even arrived, anyone on gaf that supports these thugs should be ashamed of themselves.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Given that they enhance penalties for crimes against the police, I don't understand why police aren't subject to enhanced penalties for crimes against the public given their increased level of responsibility.

Given that they enhance penalties for crimes against the police, I don't understand why police aren't subject to enhanced penalties for crimes against the public given their increased level of responsibility.

Being an officer is one of the easiest jobs in America cause even if you fuck up badly nothing will happen to you.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Because they are there to protect and serve each other, not the civilian population.

ShOcKwAvE

So...I was pretty pissed about this, up until I read about this hand motion he made. Is there more detail on how exactly he moved? I can imagine that if he moved really quickly, even to pull up his shorts, this would spook any officer.

This is sickening. It's just plain murder. Also, why didn't they search him first thing when they got there?

I'm pretty sure they just wanted to kill him, they were giving those extremely specific and difficult orders just so that he could fuck it up and they could execute them.

So...I was pretty pissed about this, up until I read about this hand motion he made. Is there more detail on how exactly he moved? I can imagine that if he moved really quickly, even to pull up his shorts, this would spook any officer.

He was pulling up his shorts, and the police report said that his shorts had come down far enough they could see his underwear and he had no gun in his waistband.

There are people that think a person should get instant death penalty for killing a cop.

Wonder if the very same people would agree that a cop should get instant death penalty for unlawfully killing a civilian.

Amory

There are people that think a person should get instant death penalty for killing a cop.

Wonder if the very same people would agree that a cop should get instant death penalty for unlawfully killing a civilian.

no cuz they're heroes! or something

their job is very dangerous you know. we owe them a debt of gratitude

The fuck is with the demand to crawl towards them? Don't you just tell them to get their hands visible, then approach and cuff the suspect?

commedieu

Banned

American officers. Sure. Trained officers would have him lay down with his arms out to be searched.

Not crawl on all 4s then get on your knees. This pig put himself in a situation that he could be startled and murder someone. Happens all the time. Not sure why the benefit of the doubt is given for people who literally have choices to preserve their saftey, or create a life or death situation.

American police create an issue that they can solve with their guns. Rather than preserve the safety of themselves and their targets.

The public is fine with this too. As you see a man crawling to his own execution as a non issue..and need more details on why he reached to his waistband. Which is what they always say.. don't put yourself in a position that a reach to a waistband can occur. But nahh..

This is straight up murder. You can't order a guy to move close to you and then act like you got scared before pumping 5 bullets into him while he pleads for his life.

Fucking sickening, heartless bastard.

Tecnniqe

Banned

I always wondered why killing a cop is worse than a cop killing a civilian.
Cops = Civilian with authority and (one would hope) proper training in handling situations.

After all they should be there to protect us.

Yet he's getting charged with murder, maybe shitpost in a thread that calls for it.

Looking at everything thats going on, not to mention the cop running over someone while on the phone in NY it sure as hell is what they think they got.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Hope the next Congress passes some policing laws, we have to try something.

What kind of command is crawl toward me? If he was already on the ground, just have him put his hands behind his back or have them spread out.

Reading this story is just disgusting.

darscot

How stupid are these cops do they not understand the basic laws of physics, time and space. Moving an empty hand is not a threat, if he put it inside his clothes then maybe, maybe it would be threatening. This whole "reached" is bullshit.

Skinpop

i don't think it's that strange the american police has turned into this monstrosity when they operate in a country where people are allowed to buy hand guns and even carry them around in public.

Oppo

Mesa police released the report Tuesday, but have declined to release the video captured on the officer’s body camera.

man. you just know that is some fucked up, sadistic-ass footage.

commedieu said:
Correct. And let that sink in.

This has been happening in america.
it's been happening everywhere, all over the world, for the vast majority of human time. really gives you pause. civilization is so precarious.

It's really disheartening to think about all the people over all the years that have gotten shot by guns with itchy trigger fingers just for trying to adjust their pants.

5 shots? Seriously?

GhaleonEB

The fuck is with the demand to crawl towards them? Don't you just tell them to get their hands visible, then approach and cuff the suspect?

I have no idea if it's normal or not - it doesn't sound like it? - but when I was reading that, all I could think was the officer telling the victim to grovel. And then executing him.

The body cam footage hasn't been released, but it's obviously indefensible since he's been fired and charged. He "reached" is just some bullshit American cops say after they murder someone unarmed.

I'm reading up on negligent homicide and I don't see how they came up with that. This is plain, simple, second degree murder.

Also, it should be required by law that PDs release body cam footage of these incidents when somebody dies.

Jebusman

Banned

I'm not the most trained person when it comes to gun control, but I have a feeling that the amount of time it would take for a person to draw a gun from their shorts, and fire it, is long enough that the officer could react to that rather than reacting to the very motion of moving your hand to your waist.

God help me if I'm being arrested and my balls are itchy. It'll apparently be the death of me.

Almost as sickening as the story. What is wrong with you?

Are you reading his post wrong?

It's more of a statement of the media and their desperation for news/hits/stories.

Stuff like this has likely always happened, perhaps even more so, but was routinely ignored by the media because no one cared.

Now that there's national attention on this issue, the media won't miss a chance to report on every single instance they can.

wow....just wow....cold blooded murder

EDIT!!! FUCKIN HELL!!! the prosecutor already wants to make a plea deal for the offcer to get negligent homicide which is he can get probation and only 3.72 years!?!?!

rjinaz

This is what happens when the police institution creates an environment of no accountability for officers, it encourages people like this and I can't imagine it's going to get any better.

How can this even be fixed? If we can't get rid of guns, police need them because potentially anyone would have one. To get rid of guns, we'd need to strike the amendment, but we don't have the people for that.

:/ I'm a gun owner myself, and I'd happily give it up if it meant stopping this kind of thing.

I have no idea if it's normal or not - it doesn't sound like it? - but when I was reading that, all I could think was the officer telling the victim to grovel. And then executing him.

If guns are drawn, I'd assume SOP would be to approach carefully before apprehending the suspect with the assistance of another officer. You know, like a basic arrest should be.

Since the video footage isn't being released, I'd assume this to be true and what these cops were doing was dehumanizing.

Why is this happening more frequently? It's like the police have snapped.

Shit like this has always happened. Police were just given the benefit of the doubt to whatever story they told since the chances of video or even audio evidence of the altercation existing were close to zero. The one good thing about the technology boom is that at least now Police have to stick more to the actual story since the chances of some random citizen from an apartment building or walking around could catch them on their phone is extremely high.

When I'm out and about these days and there is any police activity happening there are always a few people with their phones out and recording. If it looks like the cops are initiating contact with someone or a group of people, out come the phones.

pretty much what it sounded like to me.

Just toying with the guy before executing him while he was on his knees.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's really disheartening to think about all the people over all the years that have gotten shot by guns with itchy trigger fingers just for trying to adjust their pants.

5 shots? Seriously?

More or less every time this happen its a overkill.

1 for the kill and 4 for good measure.

How these people even get the badge is beyond me.
A officer executing a civilian like this should get life in prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom