• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona cop shoots and kills 27 yo native american girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://nativenewsonline.net/currents/navajo-nation-president-city-winslow-will-sue/

The vigil comes six days after Loreal Tsingine was brutally shot five times by Winslow Police Officer Austin Shipley on Easter Sunday. Tsingine, 27, was a tribal citizen of the Navajo Nation. Shipley is Caucasian.

Tsingine was stopped by two Winslow police officers who suspected her of shoplifting at the local Circle K convenience store late Easter afternoon. She was carrying a pair of scissors, who family members have told Native News Online she used to cut her hair split-ends.

The official statement from law enforcement said the officer felt threatened.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Unless those scissors were out of Clock Tower, I dont see how this is in any way justifiable >_>

Hazmat

Terrible, but the word is woman, not girl. The story is terrible enough without using the wrong word to try and make it more outrageous.

DiscoJer

You know, I could maybe, just maybe, understand her being shot once if she were actually coming at the guy with scissors in her hand. But 5 times?

Police really need to go back to using revolvers. That way they will think about what they are shooting, not just spray bullets.

PopeReal

You know, I could maybe, just maybe, understand her being shot once if she were actually coming at the guy with scissors in her hand. But 5 times?

Police really need to go back to using revolvers. That way they will think about what they are shooting, not just spray bullets.

Not even once. They are scissors. Take her down don't shoot her.

SaviourMK2

Maybe we should take guns away from police officers and give them a taser gun until they can learn to stop being a bitch every time they confront a suspect.

I dunno, seems to me that as time goes on no one knows how to be a police officer.

I live in Arizona. I live in constant fear of this happening to my darker skinned spouse or our teenager. This isn't helping.

I hope that her family wins their suit, although no amount of money will ever bandage the wound of losing this young woman.

They forgot to wear their scissor proof vest over their bulletproof one. Medical bills for being scratched isn't worth letting someone lives. The 2 officers a car for safety reasons needs to be upped to 4 if it's a woman suspect

GHG

Gold Member
Someone having scissors means you shoot them? 5 times... Really?

Who are these cowards that they hire as police officers? I mean wtf...

UrbanRats

Someone having scissors means you shoot them? 5 times... Really?

Who are these cowards that they hire as police officers? I mean wtf...

This "i feel threatened" reasoning, to spray people with bullets, is getting ridiculous.
You're supposed to be a trained officer, not a goddamn skunk.

If you're that jumpy, you shouldn't be a cop, or anyone with access to a gun.

KRod-57

Banned
A lot of people don't know this, but in the US native Americans are shot and killed by police at an even higher rate (per capita) than blacks or hispanics

src.adapt.960.high.Killed_by_cops_v5.1437671124383.jpg

Monocle

It's utterly sick that an officer "feeling threatened" is all the justification they need to execute someone. These people need way better training.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
For a pair of scissors.

UK police would have simply disarmed and arrested her in a matter of seconds without any fuss. When is this going to get sorted out?

Amalthea

Banned
It's utterly sick that an officer "feeling threatened" is all the justification they need to execute someone. These people need way better training.
It should be instantly heard as saying "I'm a racist and killed them out of Xenophobia" IMO. It's not called -phobia for nothing.

Shredderi

If "feeling threatened" = shoot to kill then maybe one shouldn't become a cop if he/she gets "shoot to kill" scared by a pair of scissors.

EGM1966

Jesus. "Felt threatened", "Reaching"...

Come on you're telling me US officers can't disarm a single individual with something like scissors?

And 5 shots?

These days as a visitor to US it feels like you should be staying away from police and not moving in any manner near them. I mean seriously I'm sure it's a minority but it's a minority that needs a concerted effort to purge.

Course on the other hand I'm a wealthy white so I'm probably fine which merely highlights another issue with this incident.

lacinius

The police officer should be made to explain to her 7 year old daughter about how he felt so threatened that he had to pump not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, but 5 bullets into her mom because... scissors.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Isn't 'dealing with threats' something officers should be trained for instead of just drawing their gun and putting it full of holes?

Shredderi

And yeah what's with the shooting galleries? It's almost always multiple bullets. So okay, you shit your pants and shoot the scissor wearing menace once and see her go down. Maybe she'll live. Why you gotta shoot so fucking much? Such a lust for making sure they die.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
These days as a visitor to US it feels like you should be staying away from police and not moving in any manner near them. I mean seriously I'm sure it's a minority but it's a minority that needs a concerted effort to purge.

Exactly this. Police should be as approachable as possible, you should be comfortable just walking up to them to ask for directions or whatever. "To protect and serve."

Paz

Pretty cool super power cops seem to have, murder anyone you want whenever you want and just say you felt threatened.

Though the people who's lives are actually threatened by cops aren't allowed to touch them.

choodi

Banned
The police officer should be made to explain to her 7 year old daughter about how he felt so threatened that he had to pump not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, but 5 bullets into her mom because... scissors.

And yeah what's with the shooting galleries? It's almost always multiple bullets. So okay, you shit your pants and shoot the scissor wearing menace once and see her go down. Maybe she'll live. Why you gotta shoot so fucking much? Such a lust for making sure they die.

In no way am i defending this piece of dirt, but when a police officer shoots, they are trained to shoot until the threat is no longer a threat, hence the multiple shots.

There are so many problems with the police shootings situation in the US that you can't even start to reason it all out. However, the fact that your lack of proper gun control means that literally everyone can be a potential shooter with a concealed handgun is the biggest issue that other countries don't have.

This is coming from a licenced Australian gun owner too. So don't even think to accuse me of being biased or having an anti-gun agenda.

Get some proper gun control, train your police properly and this will not be such a frequent event.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
How can anyone in this thread really know the severity of the situation?

I'm troubled that all they need to do is spell out the race of each party and away we go....

BocoDragon

She had scissors.
Was she brandishing them as a weapon? The article doesn't say. If she was... That's a police officer acting rationally.

Tell me she was just standing there minding her own business and that's when we can declare injustice.

PopeReal

Was she brandishing them as a weapon? The article doesn't say. If she was... That's a police officer acting rationally.

Tell me she was just standing there minding her own business and that's when we can declare injustice.

You actually believe that 2 police officers can't handle someone brandishing scissors as a weapon and should shoot them?

Holy shit.

Foffy

Banned
What exactly is the argument against non-lethal ammunition? This has to become mandatory at this rate. At least then cops can kill up close and personal with chokeholds and baton beatings in such cases. It'd become a somewhat harder ghost to justify. :/

BocoDragon

You actually believe that 2 police officers can't handle someone brandishing scissors as a weapon and should shoot them?

Holy shit.
I believe that police training essentially mandates it. When police officers are being threatened with weapons, they use deadly force.

Tell me I'm wrong and that police are trained to wrassle when they see a shank.. I doubt it? But educate me if so.

The main point is that no one knows shit about this. It feeds into a narrative, but no one knows anything and they charge ahead with it being a racial injustice. Put the brakes on. It could well be a case of police brutality on a minority for being a minority but you'll need more facts than this to establish that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom