• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii have a decision to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

snatches

You know, since e3, I, like a lot of NeoGAF posters, has been preaching the benefits of Wii60 being the way to go this gen. However, every couple weeks some outstanding title is announced or shown for 360 or PS3. Lost Odyssey, White Knight, MGS4, Mass Effect, etc. etc. etc.

The bar really feels like it has been raised. As interesting as the Wiimote is, as a hardcore gamer I just don't know if I can handle last gen visuals. Owning a 360 has been a revelation. Owning a 56" 720p HDTV is awesome, if you have a high resolution source. Dropping down to 480p is almost heart-breakingly jarring.

It's frustrating, because I have owned every Nintendo console released in North America, and I love Nintendo first party games and franchises. Zelda and Metroid alone are enough to whet any gamers appetite.

But the games just look SO OLD

I don't have a ton of room in my media room for standing up and swinging my arms around.

Basically, the price and visual quality balance with Wii has me almost convinced to skip Nintendo's new baby at launch. I don't like that the system wasn't designed with me in mind. In fact, it kind of pisses me off. Without me and people like me, Nintendo would still be a trading card company annoying Japanese parents.

Not to mention that the ps3 lineup is looking better all the time, and I could use the money I save on skipping Wii to put in the war chest to pick up a ps3 sooner than later.

I'm torn. Is anybody else waffling on their Wii60 devotion?

Speevy

Banned
I think this show actually made PS360 seem more viable, but you know Nintendo's going to have some great games.

GodMike

Banned
Wow. That was probably the biggest bitchfest I've read on here in a while. You don't want, don't buy. No need to cry about how Nintendo betrayed you or whatevers. You sound like a damned woman.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How about do what I'm planning to do: wait till the price drops on whichever console you are least interested in and get them all in the end? Get a PS3 (and you have a 360) this fall and get a Wii when SSBB comes out since that seems to be the big hitter. That should be next Christmas at the latest.

Basically, 360 has a great library. PS3 will have a great library. Wii will have a great library. Do you really want to miss any games?

I agree with part of your argument though. The past 24 hours have made last gen games much, much harder to look at.

MMaRsu

Banned
snatches said:
You know, since e3, I, like a lot of NeoGAF posters, has been preaching the benefits of Wii60 being the way to go this gen. However, every couple weeks some outstanding title is announced or shown for 360 or PS3. Lost Odyssey, White Knight, MGS4, Mass Effect, etc. etc. etc.

The bar really feels like it has been raised. As interesting as the Wiimote is, as a hardcore gamer I just don't know if I can handle last gen visuals. Owning a 360 has been a revelation. Owning a 56" 720p HDTV is awesome, if you have a high resolution source. Dropping down to 480p is almost heart-breakingly jarring.

It's frustrating, because I have owned every Nintendo console released in North America, and I love Nintendo first party games and franchises. Zelda and Metroid alone are enough to whet any gamers appetite.

But the games just look SO OLD

I don't have a ton of room in my media room for standing up and swinging my arms around.

Basically, the price and visual quality balance with Wii has me almost convinced to skip Nintendo's new baby at launch. I don't like that the system wasn't designed with me in mind. In fact, it kind of pisses me off. Without me and people like me, Nintendo would still be a trading card company annoying Japanese parents.

Not to mention that the ps3 lineup is looking better all the time, and I could use the money I save on skipping Wii to put in the war chest to pick up a ps3 sooner than later.

I'm torn. Is anybody else waffling on their Wii60 devotion?

I am..kinda..

I mean I'm a total Nintendo fan but let's be really really honest here, most Wii games don't even look as good as launch cube games -_- .

And now after seeing some Ps3 games I'm like, so what Nintendo couldn't really have made the Wii twice as powerfull as the original Xbox or something? I love the new controller and stuff, but I totally agree with you, alot of games just look like crap.

Oh well..I guess it will be alot of Nintendo only games I will be buying on the system, and playing awesome third party games on my 360.

snatches

GodMike said:
Wow. That was probably the biggest bitchfest I've read on here in a while. You don't want, don't buy. No need to cry about how Nintendo betrayed you or whatevers. You sound like a damned woman.

:lol

Too bad Nintendo's not interested in you!

I know it's like I slept with her ****ing ugly sister or something and she stopped putting out!

Raiden

Banned
Ok everybody look at me now, i AM buying one!!!!

Can i make a thread about it please please please please??

Ranger X

I'm confortable with the visual. I'd play different or innovative games any time before sparks and 720p. I've come to a point where quite only the gameplay + fun i have matters. I'm still confortable with my PS2 so i guess i won't mind the lack of visual upgrade on the Wii. This may not last forever though. I feel that around 2008 it may be time for a true visual upgrade.

snatches

MegaTen said:
A "hardcore gamer" not being able to handle lesser quality visuals? Does not compute.

hey man I love the classics but I wouldn't play Galaga for 8 straight hours anymore, you know? 3D is really coming into its own with 360 and ps3. PS2 level visuals are starting to cause my eyes actual pain on my current setup.

sangreal

I own a 360, and I have a Wii preodered, but yes I am having second thoughts about getting a Wii. The graphics don't bother me too much but I'm not sure any of the games they've shown interest me. I originally wanted one as a more social alternative to PS3/360, but I'm not even sure it offers that now.

I'm sure SSBB will sway me though. I played that game more than any other last generation by faaar and I never owned a gamecube

lachesis

Just let this whole TGS, high-visual excitement sink in a bit... and think Zelda and RE:Wii.

good enough reasons to purchase Wii, right there - next gen visual or not. :)

Peru

What's most 'waffling' is your use of bolded text for emphasizing ridiculous points. If you can't handle the graphics then stay away and lose out on games you supposedly love. But the "it's not made for me" mantra is empty words if you see games that interest you. What games are released is what matters. SMG, MP3, FE, those are the kind of series that appeal to 'core' gamers and they are continued on the Wii. The marketing campaigns certainly aren't made for you, but when were they? A waste of a topic, not like these points haven't been bitched to and fro for months.

Vyer

snatches said:
hey man I love the classics but I wouldn't play Galaga for 8 straight hours anymore, you know? 3D is really coming into its own with 360 and ps3. PS2 level visuals are starting to cause my eyes actual pain on my current setup.

You were planning on owning only one of the new consoles?

And, to be honest, if Console Companies Pissing You Off is reason to back out, you may want to drop games altogether. At this point, I lean toward who has pissed me off the least. :)

M_A_C

No HD, no digital audio, and no great games at launch is what really makes me not want to spend 250 bucks on the Wii.

Speevy said:
I think this show actually made PS360 seem more viable, but you know Nintendo's going to have some great games.

PSWii60 ftw?!

As for the visuals stuff, im perfectly happy with 'some' of the stuff shown on the Wii, games like Zelda: TP, Metroid, Sonic, Galaxy are definetly pleasing to the eye and nothing for me to moan about.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I almost agree with you. But look at the DS. Technologically its a steaming turd. Most of the good games are primarily 2D sprite based stuff that could almost have been done on a SNES with a rampack and a mode 7 turboboost. But its a great little machine and it has a good number of fantastic games.

Wii is very similar to me. Graphics and tech will be shit, but it will be home to some of the best games of the next generation. Plus its the next episode in my continuing saga of introducing my wife to games and her enjoying one.

It'll go through a rough patch I'm sure, much like the DS did. A bunch of mini game based crap having you wiggling around for no real reason. But then the gems will start coming out that really use the controller in new and innovative ways.

My only concern is this: If Nintendo really attracts 'the others', and normal games don't get the kind of sales that you would expect (i.e. its just us buying them), then will they ramp down normal game production in favour of 'non-games' (good as they may be)?

I hope not, because without Zelda, Mario and the gang I don't think I'd buy one. But maybe Nintendo might not care if everyone else is buying it?

snatches

Ranger X said:
I'm confortable with the visual. I'd play different or innovative games any time before sparks and 720p. I've come to a point where quite only the gameplay + fun i have matters. I'm still confortable with my PS2 so i guess i won't mind the lack of visual upgrade on the Wii. This may not last forever though. I feel that around 2008 it may be time for a true visual upgrade.

Just curious, I am not trying to single anyone out but:

For those who are saying they have no problem with "last gen" visuals, do you have HDTV's? Because that is definitely part of my "problem".

I've been thinking about this as well. I love the new controller but no game I've seen on the Wii so far couldn't be done with a regular controller and with the minimal graphics and power upgrade, it makes it all the more infuriating that Nintendo chose this direction. The likes of Metroid Prime: Corruption and Super Mario Wii, while fantastic looking in their own right, aren't even in the same stratosphere that Blue Dragon, FFXIII, Lost Odyssey, DMC4, MGS4 and others are in. Plus, that gap will only get wider in the future.

snatches

sangreal said:
I own a 360, and I have a Wii preodered, but yes I am having second thoughts about getting a Wii. The graphics don't bother me too much but I'm not sure any of the games they've shown interest me. I originally wanted one as a more social alternative to PS3/360, but I'm not even sure it offers that now.

It pains me to sit back and watch Zelda street without a copy in my possession but I guess I can go back and play it later.....*sobs*

PSWii for me. Thanks. I honesntly don't give a toss about the quality of the Wii graphics. Also, my living room is thankfully somewhat larger than 3'x3' so extending my arms shouldn't too much trouble.

I think a lot of the PS3 stuff looks gorgeous, but I couldn't care less about the quality of Wii visuals. It doesn't bother me at all. When it comes down to it, it's great to look at screenshots and watch trailers but I know that realistically I'm just going to buy the games I actually want to play. That will include plenty of stuff on Wii.

(For the record I will have all three systems)

snatches

Vyer said:
You were planning on owning only one of the new consoles?

And, to be honest, if Console Companies Pissing You Off is reason to back out, you may want to drop games altogether. At this point, I lean toward who has pissed me off the least. :)

granted. and to answer your question, no. I will definitely own all three consoles before anyone launches their next console.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Speevy said:

Hey seriously I may even be a PS360er by the end of the generation if MS keeps getting great games.

Next-gen is looking great!!

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, the shit graphics are a killer for me too snatches. However, there are still a few games that I cannot live without, and they are always from Nintendo... so, i live with it. The faux-innovation does nothing for me, I want quality titles with amazing graphics and next-gen delivers on that front far more.

But in the end, they're all doing something different so don't buy if you won't find any use from it.

what's funny is that it's the complete opposite for me. the more and more i see of ps3 and 360 games the more i realize just how much i have really outgrown "traditional" gaming. sure i'm and hd owning, hi-def lover but i just don't find the ps3/360 games to be all that compelling. I like to marvel over their sheer technical beauty in screenshots/trailers but i really don't have any desire to actually pic up and play any of them.

snatches

Amir0x said:
Yeah, the shit graphics are a killer for me too snatches. However, there are still a few games that I cannot live without, and they are always from Nintendo... so, i live with it. The faux-innovation does nothing for me, I want quality titles with amazing graphics and next-gen delivers on that front far more.

But in the end, they're all doing something different so don't buy if you won't find any use from it.

It's just making it easier to justify waiting until the damn gamecube is the price of a damn gamecube, you know? I could see waiting until it's $149 and picking it up on a whim one day with an armful of players choice cheapie titles.

edit: that sounds harsh, I admit. but I could care less about Wii Sports and the weather channel, and the controller....l think I could live without it. So I am really interested in the Wii, I just can't justify the price/performance ratio.

lachesis

I'm sure nobody's buying Wii for graphics here. We have 360 and PS3 to push graphics in this gen.... but Wii to provide fresh new aespect in gaming. Definitely worth going for.

jarosh

gee snatches, you just can't win around here. you made some good and valid points in a very civil manner. but you and me, we both know where this thread is heading. it's a shame really, cause i can totally relate and i wish we could have this discussion. but yeah...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amir0x said:
The faux-innovation does nothing for me, it.

Whats your position on the DS? I'd have said that was 'faux-innovation' around launch, but after the initial frenzy of shit wrapped around a touch screen input, things have settled down nicely, with developers realising they can use some, all or none of the new inputs to deliver good games.

I hope for the same from Wii, even if most of the launch games have you flailing like a loon.

Amir0x

Banned
snatches said:
It's just making it easier to justify waiting until the damn gamecube is the price of a damn gamecube, you know? I could see waiting until it's $149 and picking it up on a whim one day with an armful of players choice cheapie titles.

No doubt. I'm bending over only because it's the only system I physically can i afford at launch, and even that's difficult. I want -some- relevant console to play while i wait for real next-gen. But, I can see your perspective certainly. And it wouldn't be so bad if Wii had the games to justify its existence, particularly from third parties... but it just doesn't. 360 and PS3 massacre it.

mrklaw said:
Whats your position on the DS?

I hate almost every touch screen game so far (except Kirby Canvas Curse), think the dual screen is utterly useless and the Nintendo DS was the true start of my growing unhappy with Nintendo's latest direction.

I have a widescreen HDTV, and I am perfectly fine with 480P. I have been playing Ninja Gaiden on my 360 in that mode, and it looks great. It has been said many times, but you don't need to swing your hands around in wide motions with the Wiimote, often times just the opposite is not only possible but necessary--simply using small wrist motion. And as far as it not being designed for me...well, any system with Zelda, Mario, and Metroid IS designed for me!

jimbo

Banned
I am with you 100%. After I head the PS3's price back at E3 it was Wii60 all the way, but now.....deffinitely second thoughts. The more I see what the 360 and PS3 can do, the more I get turned off by the Wii, not to mention I got unglued by all the Nintendo fanboys with them saying how art will make up for the graphics....it won't. The best art will still be on the best platforms anyway as Eternal Sonata, as Blue Dragon, as MGS4 all show.

The fact that it's coming in higher than I expected price wise, NO HD, and no Mario at launch has put me back on the fence, and I am now much more likely to wait and get a PS3 at its first price drop than I was before. Especially if Sony follows through at that $399 price point in the US shortly after launch.

I mean really, I expected SO much more out of the next-gen Nintendo games. Mario looks great but on everything else I'm with you....looks so last gen. I kept waiting for Nintendo to wow me since E3...but they have done absolutely nothing since. Sony's deffinitely won me over more, but then again, I never had a problem with them outside of price. And that is still an issue. But an issue I know will eventually get resolved whereas the Wii's power won't.

PS: And here's my ongoing torture. Ever since I first saw the pre-rendered graphics on the instruction booklet of Donkey Kong Country I have been dreaming of that in 3D. N64 didn't come close. Wasn't possible on the GC. And now.....it doesn't look like it will happen on the Wii. I just want my next-gen Donkey Kong Country in 3D with the lush vegetation, palm trees, bananas and freak gorrila HAIR Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom