• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox doing their own thing with no fear?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Bring It What GIF by Kinda Funny

Cringe Hangover GIF

Pokemon does not release every year at 70 dollars full of micro-transactions and have a continuous battle Royale mode.
The sad thing is that they could if they wanted to. Nintendo simply doesn't trust their online experiences enough to do so though.
We just saw that it was in almost every region of the world's top 3 most played lists.
My case is for making it in the top 10. Everyone should be aiming for the top 3 slots, including Sony, but I still consider it a win if they make the top 10. Nintendo, most of the time, makes it in that top 10.
Jim would be a fucking fool not to bring that up in court.
Agreed, but then he did interviews about it, he spoke multiple times to press on it, and he brought it up multiple times over multiple months while journalists kept reporting it or interviewing him about it. Again, I know part of his goal was to railroad the deal with this tactic but it was a terrible tactic to use. It made him just seem like he would not stop whining about CoD. He actually said something along the lines of Sony has 'zero franchises that can compete'. While we all know that might be true today, literally their own boss stating it was the worst thing that could have been said because it's like saying your own legacy is trash.
It is easier making your own live service game than it is time traveling and making one of the biggest brands on earth. And even then the call of duty money is astronomical.
'Time travelling' isn't necessary. There are multiple I.P. that Sony have to use, or they could even make... an entirely new experience and keep building upon it for years to come 🤷‍♂️

My main two points were that this experience doesn't necessarily need to be a shooter, and that the whining tactic was a bad tactic to get the deal to not succeed. I ultimately think Jim and his team will be the reason why we will start seeing the aftereffects of the 'live service plan' in the next couple of years, which is a ton of wasted resources, wasted time, cancelled works, and pushed back titles. It's going to be rough for them the minute Xbox starts to pick up steam, because we all know a wave of AAA game releases are coming even though everyone likes to make fun of them right now for 'lol no games'.

meech

A new generation needs a raw power increase of like 10x to see any noticable difference(even for a casual) in graphics. Otherwise its pointless to start a new generation at all. That would mean a console in the range of 100-120 terraflops.

ulantan

The sad thing is that they could if they wanted to. Nintendo simply doesn't trust their online experiences enough to do so though.

My case is for making it in the top 10. Everyone should be aiming for the top 3 slots, including Sony, but I still consider it a win if they make the top 10. Nintendo, most of the time, makes it in that top 10.

Agreed, but then he did interviews about it, he spoke multiple times to press on it, and he brought it up multiple times over multiple months while journalists kept reporting it or interviewing him about it. Again, I know part of his goal was to railroad the deal with this tactic but it was a terrible tactic to use. It made him just seem like he would not stop whining about CoD. He actually said something along the lines of Sony has 'zero franchises that can compete'. While we all know that might be true today, literally their own boss stating it was the worst thing that could have been said because it's like saying your own legacy is trash.

'Time travelling' isn't necessary. There are multiple I.P. that Sony have to use, or they could even make... an entirely new experience and keep building upon it for years to come 🤷‍♂️

My main two points were that this experience doesn't necessarily need to be a shooter, and that the whining tactic was a bad tactic to get the deal to not succeed. I ultimately think Jim and his team will be the reason why we will start seeing the aftereffects of the 'live service plan' in the next couple of years, which is a ton of wasted resources, wasted time, cancelled works, and pushed back titles. It's going to be rough for them the minute Xbox starts to pick up steam, because we all know a wave of AAA game releases are coming even though everyone likes to make fun of them right now for 'lol no games'.
Mario, pokemon are lightning in a bottle moments that are damn near impossible to replicate, because alot of there strength came from the impact they had on the industry and pop culture during the time of their creation. They were so big it shifted the industry.

Jim never really spoke to the press most of his quotes come from court and emails.

Fredrik

They’re already at the end of a generation with people buying the consoles because they’re cheap. 75% are apparently buying Series S. That’s not core gamers, it’s casual gamers.
So 2026 is too late, can’t have 3 years of horrible numbers with PS5 Pro and Switch 2 steamrolling them. They need to either pull the plug on Series generation and move on with a new generation and hype that up to the max with a new Gears, DOOM, Elder Scrolls, Forza Horizon etc, or ignore classic consoles and start putting together Windows boxes with big screen mode and iterate faster like in the PC space.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Fake news
Not so sure as had a text claiming they are real from a buddy that says he downloaded all the files and sent me the directory to those slides

/data/Finance/[employee]/Future of Insomniac/Strategic Pillars - PSS.pptx

I can not verify because I don't have the files so people can make up their own mind one way or another

DaGwaphics

They haven't announced anything yet, it's all just coming from the guy with the AMD info. But, why would they be afraid of releasing a console when they've done that multiple times before?

The idea of them moving to a more PC like release schedule and aligning their development more with PC really isn't all that strange.

yazenov

They just don't have a cohesive strategy. I do believe they would like it best if they didn't have to sell a console at all and everybody just used the Xbox app on PC. But if you have a PC, you have many other options as well. Options that don't exist in a closed console ecosystem, so that's the best way to hook you into it.

Why not just put all the games on other consoles? Because MS will have to pay a fee on the sale, and it won't be growing their ecosystem where *they* make a cut on each transaction (Xbox Studios game or not). They would love to put Gamepass anywhere they can, except the other players would never allow it on their system. Selling all games on other systems would undermine the proposition of GP and their own ecosystem, where they really make money. They don't give a shit whether you use their ecosystem on a console or not, it just happens to be the way you're most likely to stay in it.

YET, because they're Xbox, they need to make careful considerations on what games, and when, they DO want on other platforms else they'd be eating too much shit.

Again, they just don't have a cohesive strategy. It's a very sad clusterfuck trading blows with itself.

MS was already one foot at the door when they decided to release their games on the PC on day one, which negatively impacted their hardware sales with sales worse than their previous hardware the Xbox One.
Their strategy of releasing games on other platforms (PC) cannibalizes their hardware sales, as the need to purchase their hardware diminishes as evidently so from their lack of hardware demand from consumers. So their half-ass strategy is hurting themselves as you suggested with regards to hardware sales.

With regards to Game Pass, it was a desperate attempt to adopt and mimic a business model from an entirely different industry that is not sustainable to stay relevant. Their attempt failed to garner interest from gamers as their market share shrunk from the last generation and subscription numbers stalled.

Selling hardware and getting the 30% royalty fee from sales is a good business model sustained only with a sizable userbase that offsets the cost of the R&D of the hardware development and the cost of selling the hardware at a loss. And with the loss they are taking with the hardware sales discounts, I don't think MS has yet to recover any of those initial costs or if they will ever recover it for this generation. Let's face the facts, there is little demand for a Microsoft console, especially outside of the US and the UK, and even in those countries, their market share is shrinking as we speak. MS seems unable to generate a sustainable user base that could sustain the sunken costs of producing hardware and selling those at a loss.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

MS should ditch the hardware and ditch Gamepass as the appetite for both the hardware and the subscription model is limited. Release their games on all platforms without the sunken costs of hardware and an unsustainable Netflix-style subscription business model.

Last edited:

Diddy X

I dunno, according to recent events, it seems that Sony is the one not caring about the competition.

But Sony has always followed on Microsoft's steps, last one was with gaas. Microsoft on the other hand is not interested in Sony's way of handling gaming business.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I am. You're not going to convince me those slides are not out of place
A lot of that stuff that came out of that hack was out of place

I know the mods here closed that thread and deemed them fake but unless they have undeniable proof I think its still open to what one wants to believe

I know the mods have a rough time at times because modding isn't easy, did it for a very long time for Xbox channel and Ybarra on both Mixer (RIP) and Twitch

But everyone makes mistakes

I have had some posts taken down here and once got a message from a mod here about console warring and wah wah wah crying and sadly the words I typed came straight from Phil Spencers mouth on something he tried working on with Sony (not gamepass)

So I got a very childish response to something that 100% happened

But I digress, to each their own on what they want to believe

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I ultimately think Jim and his team will be the reason why we will start seeing the aftereffects of the 'live service plan' in the next couple of years, which is a ton of wasted resources, wasted time, cancelled works, and pushed back titles. It's going to be rough for them the minute Xbox starts to pick up steam, because we all know a wave of AAA game releases are coming even though everyone likes to make fun of them right now for 'lol no games'.

PlayStation made more money on Live Service games in 2022 than traditional SP games. Around 51% to 49%.

In 2025, what do you think that split is going to look like and what do you think their overall revenue trend will look like?

Last edited:

twilo99

This TBH, Call of Duty is in nearly every countries top 3 played on Playstation, Sony didn't want to lose that nor other major titles that come with ABK, they are still trying to fight it now even though its closed

Before all of this I had no idea how much they rely on CoD.. it's practically a "pillar"

PlayStation made more money on Live Service games in 2022 than traditional SP games. Around 51% to 49%.

In 2025, what do you think that split is going to look like and what do you think their overall revenue trend will look like?
The post you quoted was misinterpreted. My issue isn't with live service games themselves, my issue is with failed plans and cancelled projects. It just happens to coincide with them being live service games. That's a lot of wasted time and money on games that aren't even coming out and those games were supposed to be streams of revenue for PS.

Topher

Gold Member
This TBH, Call of Duty is in nearly every countries top 3 played on Playstation, Sony didn't want to lose that nor other major titles that come with ABK, they are still trying to fight it now even though its closed

Sony isn't fighting anything in regard to ABK. For them, it is over. FTC is the lone entity fighting the deal post-closure.

Before all of this I had no idea how much they rely on CoD.. it's practically a "pillar"

Why would that be a surprise? COD has been a pillar of gaming overall for many years. You know this.

Last edited:

phant0m

Feels like this gen didn’t even start yet properly.
We still have cross gen games, barely any games using these consoles more than low end pcs and people screaming for pro since day 1.
Kinda bad gen and I love dualsense and ps5 is perfect
Gen is trash. Even when PS5+XSX launched their GPUs were already significantly behind the PC. Usually at the start of a gen you get PC equivalence at a bargain price.

Most games are still defaulting to 30 fps modes on console.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The post you quoted was misinterpreted. My issue isn't with live service games themselves, my issue is with failed plans and cancelled projects. It just happens to coincide with them being live service games. That's a lot of wasted time and money on games that aren't even coming out and those games were supposed to be streams of revenue for PS.

That is the narrative but where's the data? Why don't people demand comprehensive data before believing narratives hook, line and sinker?

You have to realize you're in a SP echo chamber. When a Live Service project gets cancelled it's because it's too expensive, too big a risk, to big a waste...the narrative. When a SP project or studio gets cancelled or closed, it goes in one ear and out the other.

twilo99

Sony isn't fighting anything in regard to ABK. For them, it is over. FTC is the lone entity fighting the deal post-closure.

Why would that be a surprise? COD has been a pillar of gaming overall for many years. You know this.

I just thought that PlayStation's main thing was their exclusives, I didn't know how much money they were making from CoD until someone brough it up in that infamous ABK thread.

It doesn't really matter, I just disagree that they don't care about the competition.

Phase

Nothing has come out of all of those titles you've listed for many years. I'd say Eternal was good, but even that came out almost 4 years ago. Yeah, they have IPs, but they haven't done anything good with them for ages.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Gen is trash. Even when PS5+XSX launched their GPUs were already significantly behind the PC. Usually at the start of a gen you get PC equivalence at a bargain price.

Most games are still defaulting to 30 fps modes on console.
The PS4’s graphics card was about the equivalent of a Radeon 7850 (actually a tad faster), which was already miles behind a GTX 1080. Never mind the GTX TITAN.

2006’s 8800 GTX smoked the PS3’s graphics card as well. In fact, I’m not sure how this gen is “trash” when new consoles are never equal to the absolute top card.

And most games run at 30fps on console no matter the gen.

Both new consoles launched around the range of mid-to-early high end. This is usually the case.

Last edited:

BlackTron

That is the narrative but where's the data? Why don't people demand comprehensive data before believing narratives hook, line and sinker?

You have to realize you're in a SP echo chamber. When a Live Service project gets cancelled it's because it's too expensive, too big a risk, to big a waste...the narrative. When a SP project or studio gets cancelled or closed, it goes in one ear and out the other.

Don't live service games carry more risk because they require (generally) more complexity, infrastructure, and ongoing support post-launch? You really really don't want to put out a Live Service game that's a dud. You can be in a position where you want to turn it off POST launch, but some players have already invested in it with MTX, creating a bad situation.

I don't think Sony has a big handful of cancelled God of War type games. But we might get less of them because they just blew a giant wad taking a shotgun approach to live service games. "If we throw enough at the wall, one must stick" was always a horrible idea and it's good that that reality caught up.

Topher

Gold Member
I just thought that PlayStation's main thing was their exclusives, I didn't know how much money they were making from CoD until someone brough it up in that infamous ABK thread.

It doesn't really matter, I just disagree that they don't care about the competition.

Being on top of the best sellers list for both Xbox and PlayStation every single year didn't clue you in?

And I haven't seen Sony say they don't care about competition from Microsoft ever. Factually, the only one to downplay that competition is Phil Spencer.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Don't live service games carry more risk because they require (generally) more complexity, infrastructure, and ongoing support post-launch?
The post launch support is hardly risky considering the developers have clear metrics at that point and can allocate the appropriate amount of resources based on that data. They don't have to build the motor until they see how well the boat floats.

Your other points are valid to an extent, though only if you don't consider the nature of growth itself.

Being a horse farmer in the early 1900s was consider "less risky" than trying to create automobiles at that time. Human knowledge had accrued enough information to turn horse stables into a relatively reliable business.

But cars were the locomotion of the future. The players that took the bigger risk like Ford, Toyota, Volkswagen etc all became exponentially larger than the planets biggest horse farmers.

Gaming is multiplayer. Multiplayer is the automobile. Telling PlayStation they should stick with horse farming right before the boom of multiplayer looks silly now, and it will look 100x sillier in ten years.
You really really don't want to put out a Live Service game that's a dud. You can be in a position where you want to turn it off POST launch, but some players have already invested in it with MTX, creating a bad situation.
This is a vastly overblown issue because companies shut off games when no one cares about the game anymore. The only people who claim it's a big deal are the anti GAAS type who have mountains of dead backlog they'll never return to.

I don't think Sony has a big handful of cancelled God of War type games. But we might get less of them because they just blew a giant wad taking a shotgun approach to live service games. "If we throw enough at the wall, one must stick" was always a horrible idea and it's good that that reality caught up.
In reality, they've taken the most precise, informed approach to Live Service the industry has ever seen. If you think the majority of their Live Service titles are going to fail, I have a bridge to sell you.

Also, this story seemed to go in one ear and out the other for the anti GAAS gamers didn't it?

Top Bottom